PDA

View Full Version : How would you "fix" stat inflation?

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 06:37 AM
There's much negativity toward stat inflation, mainly from gold spenders. As someone who has spent very little on gold, I think I'm mostly indifferent to stat inflation as it doesn't (and shouldn't) change the fact that people who spend money will get stronger than me, faster then me, but doesn't really change the no-spend player as that's always been true. But, I respect our gold spenders, they are the reason this game keeps going, whereas I'm just a cost-center, so I'm all for making them happy.

As stated in many other threads, stats have gone from linear to exponential-ish growth in the past 6 months or so. My assumption is that GREE did this knowing that interest in games like this only lasts so long, so this strategy is to allow new players the chance to "catch up" relatively quickly.

So, the point of this thread is, given that stat inflation has already occurred, what should be done now?

If GREE switches back to a linear stat growth model, they risk alienating new players. A new gold spender will literally never catch up the stats required to be in even a top 100 syndicate, but at least they have a good chance of keeping the old-timers

If they maintain the exponential growth, they will inevitably flush out the legacy gold spenders as they will be frustrated by constantly having their old gold spend superseded by new gold spend, and existing spenders will be replaced by new spenders, but this model doesn't seem to be sustainable as there's only a limited gold-spend client base

Given "fix the hacking," "give us better communication" and "I want more/less events" as opinions differ on shortcomings of the game in general, what can be done to keep CC going?

Boo Boo Redux
09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag96/qwerty9702/image_zps04fbf46e.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/qwerty9702/media/image_zps04fbf46e.jpg.html)

craftytempter
09-30-2013, 06:58 AM
It looks to me that Gree are trying to make it so the new players have some chance to catch up. I think what Gree are doing is pushing out good
events but people need to pick which ones to do. You had it so the big money spenders can gold every event and the gap between gold and the odd gold is so big.

So this way Big gold spenders will need to pick not to do a few to stay ahead of the game or some bs like that

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Apologies for being too informative, Honey Boo Boo. As you and I are both from the South, I will translate.

stat 'nflation fixin to wear gold spenders slap out. what y'all think?

GU7 F4WK3S
09-30-2013, 07:42 AM
What if they doubled the mafia you can bring to fight to 1000 and only allowed modifiers to be applied on the first 500 mafia's weapons?

bald zeemer
09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
What if they doubled the mafia you can bring to fight to 1000 and only allowed modifiers to be applied on the first 500 mafia's weapons?

Keep it simple. Just increase the mafia cap. A move that should probably have happened months ago, but would be quite welcome, still.

Boo Boo Redux
09-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Much obliged, suh. There's only one thing Boo Boo prefuhs more than sketty and buttuh, and that'd be an abridged version.

craftytempter
09-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Add more levels say 300 to 350 then add more mafia per extra level would be good that would help everyone worried about the shark tank

GU7 F4WK3S
09-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Keep it simple. Just increase the mafia cap. A move that should probably have happened months ago, but would be quite welcome, still.

Modifiers are the cause of the stat inflation. By applying them to 100% of inventory you aren't solving anything, I don't think, it's Monday and I'm still waking up. Queue bad comparison: If both our crappiest weapons are 100 atk we're even. Once you apply the mods the difference can be significant or inflated. Every one of us paid under the impression that mods were good for 500 mafia so not applying them to the 500 additional mafia shouldn't offend too many people.

Eventually GREE just keeps boosting mafia counts so that the modifiers are essentially only contributing to 1% of the inflation. :)

bald zeemer
09-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Mods are a large part of the cause of overall stats increasing, but the consistent increase in the value of individual items is the problem - as it is rapidly devaluing past items.

By increasing the size of a usable inventory you are instantly making x number of weapons useful for longer.

Your solution is to devalue mods as well as items - thus exacerbating the problem of existing gold spenders having the previous spend made redundant.

billythekid123
09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
You're an idiot. Increasing the mafia cap would further exacerbate the stats inflation. Also, there would be a wider margin of disparity between strong and weak players. More experienced players would have stronger weapons to utilize vs fresh players who buy in-store items with cash. GROW A BRAIN.

Dipstik
09-30-2013, 09:36 AM
GROW A BRAIN.

Can you do that?

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure if there is a right answer, you can't make both parties (new gold spenders vs existing gold spenders) happy. I think one thing GREE has done right is grow the event rewards to accommodate for the very heavy gold spenders (different than just the heavy gold spenders). I don't have any boss event data to prove that, but the current case leaderboard certainly does. I think some of the negative feedback has come from those who felt like they should max out every event, and that has now become extremely expensive. It has separated the big dogs from the really big dogs, which was the right thing to do, but it's demoralized some of the gold spenders, separating them into different categories themselves.

Boo Boo Redux
09-30-2013, 09:42 AM
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag96/qwerty9702/image_zps48a2e12a.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/qwerty9702/media/image_zps48a2e12a.jpg.html)

I'm not sure if there is a right answer, you can't make both parties (new gold spenders vs existing gold spenders) happy. I think one thing GREE has done right is grow the event rewards to accommodate for the very heavy gold spenders (different than just the heavy gold spenders). I don't have any boss event data to prove that, but the current case leaderboard certainly does. I think some of the negative feedback has come from those who felt like they should max out every event, and that has now become extremely expensive. It has separated the big dogs from the really big dogs, which was the right thing to do, but it's demoralized some of the gold spenders, separating them into different categories themselves.

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Really? A paragraph? Now you're just trolling.

Asvaldr
09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
GREE is moving in the right direction. True that there are valid complains about technical aspects. But as far as changes concern just get use to the changes. Look at KA and MW. Players are enjoying those features where CC players are still missing out right now... and still complaining!!

CCKallDAY
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Just make everything weak.

Rebels
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Apologies for being too informative, Honey Boo Boo. As you and I are both from the South, I will translate.

That made me happy'er than a tornado in a trailer park

Roll Tide Roll... thats what I am thinking :)

bald zeemer
09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
You're an idiot. Increasing the mafia cap would further exacerbate the stats inflation. Also, there would be a wider margin of disparity between strong and weak players. More experienced players would have stronger weapons to utilize vs fresh players who buy in-store items with cash. GROW A BRAIN.

Oh, my mistake. I forgot that the problem with all this stat inflation was how hard it made it for new players to catch up to old players' stats.

My apologies.

Emperor886
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM

You must be new here. Let's see...join date, this month, posts, 16. Hmm.

Zeemer has been around for a long time, and knows more than most everyone else about this game. Every one of his posts are backed up by fact, and also something that you seem to not have, intelligence.

The wider gap between strong and weak players you're talking about by they way, is natural. People that pay to be stronger, will always be stronger. That's how freemium games work. Now go home before you get hurt.

ryguy8899
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM
So... CC is experiencing star inflation like MW and KA..... great.... 3 good games runined

Ben Weston
09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
why should free new players be able to compete with long standing gold players?

Rebels
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Where BM's wisedom when you need him most?.. Oh thats right stat inflation killed him! :(

The_
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
by not caring. Only those who waste their money on this game get their stats "inflated," which leaves the 99% who doesn't really get affected.

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Roll Tide Roll... thats what I am thinking :)

This

Where's that dude with the AU flag in his avatar? Good opportunity for him to troll.

Fredfreddy
09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
why should free new players be able to compete with long standing gold players?
I'm not sure if they should, but if they can't, why would they even bother playing? That's what I'm struggling with .. how do you keep both happy, or if you can't who do you choose to keep happy? With the existing inflation, it makes it seem that GREE has chosen new spenders over old.

Boo Boo Redux
09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
You must be new here. Let's see...join date, this month, posts, 16. Hmm.

Zeemer has been around for a long time, and knows more than most everyone else about this game.

He's my everything.

Every one of his posts are backed up by fact, and also something that you seem to not have, intelligence.

Awwwww. Looks like someone has a man crush on Zeemer.

CCKallDAY
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Oh, my mistake. I forgot that the problem with all this stat inflation was how hard it made it for new players to catch up to old players' stats.

My apologies.LOL
extracharacters

noamlin
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
If GREE switches back to a linear stat growth model, they risk alienating new players. A new gold spender will literally never catch up the stats required to be in even a top 100 syndicate
I think it is not as bad as u describe it:
The linear way is the way to go because this game is about cycles - I'm playing for a year so I should be 1st place and no new player should be able to surpass me until I resign.
But, by the time the new gold spender will reach my stats (will play a year) there is a very good chance I will get tired from this game and will resign - which will make the new generation of players to be the new leaders.

bald zeemer
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM

Since you seem so keen on discussing this, and not quite quick enough to pick up what I was putting down before, I'll break it down for you.

1. There is nothing objectively wrong with stats rising over time.
2. Stat inflation (or, more realistically, stat hyperinflation) is a problem because is makes previous event and purchased weapons redundant. (eg, picking up 121 weapons from a boss event, about 60 of which are at least comparable to event items from a few months ago).
3. By increasing the mafia cap, these previous weapons would remain relevant for longer. Both because they would remain on the ORBAT for longer (in the case of weapons becoming wholly redundant) and because they would have greater marginal stats (stats of the given weapon relative the to stats of the weakest weapon taken into battle in that category - ie, the real benefit of owning a weapon).
4. The ill effects of stat inflation aren't that new players aren't able to be as strong as existing players. It is, in fact, the exact opposite - that players who have been playing for a long time have all the time and effort they've put into the game nullified in the space of a week or two. Hence if a possible solution to stat inflation benefited longer term players relative to newer players (ie, maintained a greater proportion of the stat gap), that is a good thing. If you disagree that this is a good thing, then so be it. But that means you are in favour of stat inflation, and as such probably shouldn't be mooting solutions to it.

Feel free to discuss the actual issue. Or continue spouting off gibberish in unrelated threads. Either way.

187omni
09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah what he said

Since you seem so keen on discussing this, and not quite quick enough to pick up what I was putting down before, I'll break it down for you.

1. There is nothing objectively wrong with stats rising over time.
2. Stat inflation (or, more realistically, stat hyperinflation) is a problem because is makes previous event and purchased weapons redundant. (eg, picking up 121 weapons from a boss event, about 60 of which are at least comparable to event items from a few months ago).
3. By increasing the mafia cap, these previous weapons would remain relevant for longer. Both because they would remain on the ORBAT for longer (in the case of weapons becoming wholly redundant) and because they would have greater marginal stats (stats of the given weapon relative the to stats of the weakest weapon taken into battle in that category - ie, the real benefit of owning a weapon).
4. The ill effects of stat inflation aren't that new players aren't able to be as strong as existing players. It is, in fact, the exact opposite - that players who have been playing for a long time have all the time and effort they've put into the game nullified in the space of a week or two. Hence if a possible solution to stat inflation benefited longer term players relative to newer players (ie, maintained a greater proportion of the stat gap), that is a good thing. If you disagree that this is a good thing, then so be it. But that means you are in favour of stat inflation, and as such probably shouldn't be mooting solutions to it.

Feel free to discuss the actual issue. Or continue spouting off gibberish in unrelated threads. Either way.