PDA

View Full Version : The end is near

nvbealone
09-29-2013, 07:36 AM
http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/08/japans-gaming-giant-gree-retrenches-in-europe-shuts-down-uk-office-to-focus-on-development-in-the-u-s-for-western-market/

Dipstik
09-29-2013, 07:40 AM
First!

Extras.

budman68
09-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Wow So topical...if we were in July.

Froddo
09-29-2013, 08:15 AM
first page.......

bald zeemer
09-29-2013, 08:20 AM
For the hundredth time: Gree was a large mobile gaming provider before it acquired Funzio. Thus, it has a range of other games, the main money-spinners of which were domestic [Japanese] games which have since been severely curtailed. A drop in Gree profits, earnings, share price etc is not a direct indicator of the profitability of CC (or MW, KA, etc).

Deeper analysis will tell you that these elements are actually holding the company up against the declines in its core business.

kingofwale
09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Gree, listen to the people who pay for your paycheck. Minimize stats inflation if you want a sustainable game.

dispohero
09-29-2013, 10:16 AM
or not....

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2013/09/06/gree-dishes-their-success-live-events-modern-war

Ben Weston
09-29-2013, 11:19 AM
$2.3 million dollars in 1 weekend, shows how little each of us matter in the grand scheme of things.

Asvaldr
09-29-2013, 11:37 AM
..it's already passed... this is beginning of a new! :cool:

Stooboot
09-29-2013, 11:42 AM
$2.3 million dollars in 1 weekend, shows how little each of us matter in the grand scheme of things.

also shows how we are filling there pockets, for what? Fake units we all mine as well go to vegas at least when u gamble u have a chance to win money not fake items that in a year or 2 u will say wtf was I thinking

Dutchie
09-29-2013, 11:51 AM

That was Ireland, hence the graphic of Ireland and their flag, where Ferr' Emperors pushed PUN all the way to 90 million points in a race to first place. That weekend wasn't the norm! I can't argue that WD events aren't a great money spinner for GREE, but the revenues from this WD event have since dropped and they have now made them 4 weeks apart, although this could be subject to change. As you well know, GREE's calendar isn't fixed in stone. So GREE are trying to create different revenue streams from other faction events, such as the FLTQ and faction bosses, hoping to create more sustainable revenue streams in the long run.

Any company always publishes their best marketing spiel and numbers to make shareholders think they are onto a winner, especially since the share price has dropped dramatically over the last 12 months. I don't think the market bought it and they are still trimming other parts of the business. So although this part of GREE's business is profitable, other parts are not and it remains to be seen whether this part can continue to rake in the money from us, the players of these games!

sister morphine
09-29-2013, 01:15 PM
All shows how short-sighted the current business model is. The huge spenders might love the "power" but they're a tiny part of the whole. If the rest believe, rightly, that they have zero chance of changing the established order they're not going to spend, are they?

OBAMASMAMA
09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Most intelligent thread I've read. Even better than my own retirement thread. This will be going up to the top.

dispohero
09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
That was Ireland, hence the graphic of Ireland and their flag, where Ferr' Emperors pushed PUN all the way to 90 million points in a race to first place. That weekend wasn't the norm! I can't argue that WD events aren't a great money spinner for GREE, but the revenues from this WD event have since dropped and they have now made them 4 weeks apart, although this could be subject to change. As you well know, GREE's calendar isn't fixed in stone. So GREE are trying to create different revenue streams from other faction events, such as the FLTQ and faction bosses, hoping to create more sustainable revenue streams in the long run.

Any company always publishes their best marketing spiel and numbers to make shareholders think they are onto a winner, especially since the share price has dropped dramatically over the last 12 months. I don't think the market bought it and they are still trimming other parts of the business. So although this part of GREE's business is profitable, other parts are not and it remains to be seen whether this part can continue to rake in the money from us, the players of these games!
How do you know those numbers aren't the norm, or that they have since declined? What makes you think the 4 week cycle this time has anything to do with declining revenue from wars, attempting to spread revenue streams out amongst multiple events, and not something totally unrelated to money? I'm genuinely curious, are you a Gree insider?

Let's assume they make even half of that in a typical weekend war. 1m per war, in just 1 of their games, in addition to the income from all the other events in each game, plus all of the cost cutting measures they have taken over the last year, leads me to believe the end is NOT near for Gree.

TMI
09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Is the end near? who knows. I certainly hope not because i love this game. Ya, i love this game.
Anyways, here is GREE inc stock (http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/3632:JP/chart), i'm not in the stock market so i don't know what it means. As a layman, i have to say that it doesn't look good, but what do i know?
Maybe someone who knows about this stuff can educate us?

Edit: it's interesting to see the stock over the past 1 year

bald zeemer
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
The plummeting stock price was due to adverse legal determinations regarding key Japanese games, and is wholly unrelated to the Funzio arm of the company.

TMI
09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
The plummeting stock price was due to adverse legal determinations regarding key Japanese games, and is wholly unrelated to the Funzio arm of the company.

Thanks BZ. I was aware of some legal things that happened with some other games that may or may not have been considered gambling or something like that. Question though, how do you know that it is "wholly unrelated" with funzio games. To note though, i've actually spent MORE money every month for the last 5 months lol

bald zeemer
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
The gambling-style games were the core of Gree business and have since lost money hand over fist. The funzio games are all raking in record profits. Exactly because so many people are spending, and spending more, recently.
:)

Some context for that earlier $3.3m figure (remembering that was purely for MW, albeit on the biggest war weekend to date):

San Francisco-based mobile gaming startup Funzio had just come off making more than $5 million in sales per month when it sold to Japan’s GREE for $210 million last week
(April/May 2012).
Source (http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/08/funzio-was-making-5m-in-sales-per-month-when-it-sold-to-gree-for-210m/)

Indeed, revenue from Funzio games shot up an 23 percent since the company was bought, which GREE says is down to the addition of its gaming know-how, or more specifically the “implementation of new monetization and user acquisition strategies.”
(August 2012. 123% x 5m = 6.15m)
Source (http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/08/16/japanese-gaming-giant-gree-thriving-us-revenues-rose-38-qoq-16-87m/)

Overseas coin consumption doubled QoQ on strong performance from titles developed by the U.S. studio such as Crime City and Modern War
(Q3 2013)
Source (http://corp.gree.net/jp/en/news/press/2013/0514-01.html)