PDA

View Full Version : Guild war strategies

The Pale Rider
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
There's the standard stuff that you should've figured out on your own - kill guardians first (let high ranking guys do it with element matched armors to save blocks), use as little as possible on the sentinel, if it looks close save strength for the frenzy, share targeting data, etc.

However we encountered some guilds trying some interesting things during the war to try and gain an edge. They were effective to a degree and you have to admire the effort it took, but frankly our guild thought they weren't worth the annoyance of implementing - plus we're too cool to need gimmicks :cool:

First Prize goes to Guild Ifrit which was lvl 33 and only had a GM, GC, GS and one HC. They deliberately made all but their top 4 members commanders to cut down on the amount of points their opponants could score. It worked too. The top 4 were too strong for any but our top guys (and then it was a fairly straight up match). So we pounded a whole lot of commanders and scored 1XX. They scored a lot more than us on each kill and won.

Several Guilds followed RR's lead and had everyone adopt the same name. This prevented scouting and sharing target data. It also prevents a lot of useful in-game chat. Still it was effective, albeit only within rankings (no hiding who the GC is). A variant on this strategy would be to use selective name matching (a high level commander and low level commander - this would make targeting harder without as much confusion)

A couple of clever sentinels kept constantly rotating their armor around at the start of each war. This was fairly effective at preventing element gaming (i.e. first guy reports back the armor types and you try to maximize your next attacks). Obviously this strategy applies beyond the sentinel.

Any other interesting or amusing strategies y'all encountered?

Sifu
09-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Late surges. I assume this is fairly straight forward and not really any kind of advanced "tactic", but we saw it a number of times. They would appear to just quit after they were a ways behind. However, somewhere in that last 14-10 minutes, they would have 4-5 members go hard with full energy and/or refills. Made it really hard to guess what a safe lead would be and if they surged with more player participation than we had at that moment, it made it hard to preserve the lead even if you were watching for it.

Granted, this likely also applies mostly to lower guilds like mine where you are not in such a demanding race in every match. We typically were not gemming, etc for those matches and instead trying to regen energy on those.

LadyBadTouch
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I took away all of our leadership roles, except for Sentinel. We also adopted all the same names and just asked that the members copy and paste their original user name in when chatting.

What we did with the oppositions sentinel was to let 4 lower level members attack him once each to drop the 50% def bonus, and then let your highest level player in. I figured it was better to let our lower level members do this (and by low I mean our 45-60 range) because they were more likely to lose fights anyway.

We made sure to win every fight we participated in (24 total) so we could get the 50% bonus. We also had all our guardians lvl 4 or above.

Our members fully cooperated and were scouting entire time. Lower level members waited to find out who they could be before attacking other members.

#63 with not too many gems spent, we were satisfied :)

knights
09-18-2013, 03:01 PM
i suspect some GMs are not gonna share some of the very effective strategies they employed... unless there's a loose-mouth in their ranks...

Any anonymous insider wanna expose some of these not-so-obvious strategies? I know for sure there is a tactic to avoid getting matched up with top guilds...

Tildor
09-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Buy 4 packs of 800 gems and spend them all. Pretty winning strategy, dont tell anyone.

knights
09-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Buy 4 packs of 800 gems and spend them all. Pretty winning strategy, dont tell anyone.

Psssh, why are you telling them the secrets!!!

The Pale Rider
09-18-2013, 03:12 PM
i suspect some GMs are not gonna share some of the very effective strategies they employed... unless there's a loose-mouth in their ranks...

Any anonymous insider wanna expose some of these not-so-obvious strategies? I know for sure there is a tactic to avoid getting matched up with top guilds...

That's an easy one -- Don't raise your guild level. That's the predominant determinant for match-ups. I didn't share all our secrets, just stuff I observed that I thought belonged in public domain. Demoting is a double edged sword, you reduce opp's points but make it harder for players to win individual match-ups. It works provided you find a sufficiently weak player on the other side to pound on.

Lady - Good strategy, but why so few battles? We had 45 battles and went 36 and 9 (a couple were middle of night where somebody hit declare and only a couple of members particpated but the other 43 were legit). We also are a free gem guild. If we had them we used them, but not that many in all. We finished not far above you, so maximizing each fight was effective for you, but I tend to think more fights equals more points over 72 hours.

Sifu - Nearly all our opps did the late big hit strategy, some of that may be due to the need to refresh. I think this can be especially effective if you bring the scores close enough to trigger frenzy to maximize the extra 20%. Not easy to coordinate, especially if the other guild keeps increasing the lead, but a nice score multiplier if you can manage it right.

Paladineguru
09-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Step 1 hack bill gates bank account

Step 2, keep it on tap for gems

Step 3 spend like Charlie sheen on a bender

Step 4 watch majestic spend enough to buy johnny depps island

Step 5 add warren buffet to step one and repeat.

LadyBadTouch
09-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Yea, we will definitely be doing more fights next time. We were doing them on the first day every hour and a half after the fight was done. We bumped it up to an hour after the fight was done, on the 2nd and 3rd day.

We also had no fights during the night (usually 12am-8am) We are going to build a night team this time around, so hopefully that issue will be resolved.

detoxic
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM

There is, but I won't say what it is. It's not exploiting the system or anything, either. It's actually really simple once you figure it out. You'll hit yourself in the head for not thinking of it sooner.

Other than that, there aren't any big strategies I can think of besides communication with your guild. Call out targets and let each other know what armors they're wearing.

As for changing names to the same thing, it can be a mixed bag. It doesn't work for the prime targets (GM, Sentinel, Champion), and any competent guild will just say, "Hit 3rd High Commander," or, "Second to last Commander." It also prevents you from knowing which of your members is being attacked so he can adjust his armor accordingly.

Skilless
09-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Just watch for their pts to start changing so u know they are in a fight

knights
09-18-2013, 03:33 PM
That's an easy one -- Don't raise your guild level. That's the predominant determinant for match-ups. I didn't share all our secrets, just stuff I observed that I thought belonged in public domain. Demoting is a double edged sword, you reduce opp's points but make it harder for players to win individual match-ups. It works provided you find a sufficiently weak player on the other side to pound on.

Nope, depressing guild level is not it. It is really simple and is a guarantee to avoid RR, Cents, UN or any top guilds for that matter... I'm not a loose mouth, i'm not telling!

busteroaf
09-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't think anyone is sharing any insider secrets, or that there really are any to begin with. You can pretty much figure it out yourself as you go along.

Epon
09-18-2013, 03:47 PM
1. buy gems

2. max epics

3. ?????

4. Profit!!!

gnolaum
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Someone in our guild had a second device with an un-guilded character that was able to look up the other guild and examine the profiles.

Made it easy for the members in our guild to pick an appropriate target for their strength.

knights
09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Let me throw a bone out here: infiltrating other guild's LINE chat room, helps.. A LOT!

LadyBadTouch
09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Is it like kingdom age where you have a low lvl member declare and then everyone jumps off for 5mins so it thinks that you have no one on?

*we were unable to determine if this method worked.

Didnt matter we were paired evenly the entire time.

knights
09-18-2013, 04:24 PM
nope. I let out too much. I'm gonna disappear before the CIA gets me.

knights
09-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Just watch for their pts to start changing so u know they are in a fight

loose mouth...

Angel of Death
09-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Add me on LINE.. I'll show you the best strategy...

Antinoob
09-18-2013, 10:48 PM
I took away all of our leadership roles, except for Sentinel. We also adopted all the same names and just asked that the members copy and paste their original user name in when chatting.

What we did with the oppositions sentinel was to let 4 lower level members attack him once each to drop the 50% def bonus, and then let your highest level player in. I figured it was better to let our lower level members do this (and by low I mean our 45-60 range) because they were more likely to lose fights anyway.

We made sure to win every fight we participated in (24 total) so we could get the 50% bonus. We also had all our guardians lvl 4 or above.

Our members fully cooperated and were scouting entire time. Lower level members waited to find out who they could be before attacking other members.

#63 with not too many gems spent, we were satisfied :)

Allow high commanders but make sure the names are all the same, also if you have someone good enough to fend off most people put them as guild champ.. the stat increase for guild champ and even high commanders can be a huge help. we normally have 5 high commanders and a gm/sent/champ but when guild war starts we fill the high commander positions just for the guild war for stat increase.. once your able to have enough highcommanders its hard for guilds to target one single Hc.. an its worth the stat increase..

The legends, 5th ranked android

gnolaum
09-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Noob question: what are the stat increases for the ranks?

Tachycardia
09-18-2013, 11:30 PM
5% for HC
7% for sentinel and champ
10% for GM

Sarn
09-19-2013, 01:26 AM
I don't see the point of everyone having the same name. The list doesn't appear to be randomized, so all you have to do is say something like "4th commander down" and everyone knew who you were talking about. Besides only the lower level players tend to attack Hcs and below, unless against a very strong guild. The 100+ players tend target sentinel, gm and gc anyway.

As for our strategy, we simply tried to battle 24 hours a day. We have a couple gem spenders (not many tho) who could keep the battle going while others recharged. We are also lucky in that we have members from around the world, which means we had people battling in all time zones.

Hakurou
09-19-2013, 01:55 AM
I don't see the point of everyone having the same name. The list doesn't appear to be randomized, so all you have to do is say something like "4th commander down" and everyone knew who you were talking about.

The sorting changes when somebody changes his armor or fights etc...best is to watch the points earned by the different players, much easier to distinguish them.

busteroaf
09-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I don't see the point of everyone having the same name. The list doesn't appear to be randomized, so all you have to do is say something like "4th commander down" and everyone knew who you were talking about. Besides only the lower level players tend to attack Hcs and below, unless against a very strong guild. The 100+ players tend target sentinel, gm and gc anyway.

As for our strategy, we simply tried to battle 24 hours a day. We have a couple gem spenders (not many tho) who could keep the battle going while others recharged. We are also lucky in that we have members from around the world, which means we had people battling in all time zones.

Well, when in previous wars, when the list would be randomized, it would also shuffle if/when people changed their names. So... 4th commander down, well, wouldn't be the 4th commander down anymore. And if everyone has the same name... you do the math.

Mr Spock
09-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Lot of neat strategies that I hadn't thought of.....thanks this was worth the visit!

The by far number 1 strategy is just to spend money....I think the ceiling to score is around 2000K for a 40 person team. So the winning team paid 4 9000k worth of points. Roughly 10 gems=4 energy = 1500 points 200 gems=20bucks. 20 bucks=20 renewals
20 renewals = 30k points Therefore 1 buck =1500 points 1000 bucks = 1500k 9000/1500=6. Or $6000 spent...

This assumes u win every battle but it is discounting large gem package buying either...

So the winners spent along the lines of around 6000 dollars. All the neat tricks to eek out another couple thousand points a match are easily overridden with about 2 dollars worth of gems as this would generate about 3000 points...

ddaddy2420
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Lot of neat strategies that I hadn't thought of.....thanks this was worth the visit!

The by far number 1 strategy is just to spend money....I think the ceiling to score is around 2000K for a 40 person team. So the winning team paid 4 9000k worth of points. Roughly 10 gems=4 energy = 1500 points 200 gems=20bucks. 20 bucks=20 renewals
20 renewals = 30k points Therefore 1 buck =1500 points 1000 bucks = 1500k 9000/1500=6. Or $6000 spent...

This assumes u win every battle but it is discounting large gem package buying either...

So the winners spent along the lines of around 6000 dollars. All the neat tricks to eek out another couple thousand points a match are easily overridden with about 2 dollars worth of gems as this would generate about 3000 points...

$6000 divided by how many people in the top guilds? Let's say 50? That would be $120 each person in the guild. I don't mind spending $25 but to spend $120 or more or something virtual...

Mr Spock
09-19-2013, 07:54 AM
I think guilds max out at 40....

The Pale Rider
09-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Those calculations are way off. You omit sentinels (no points) and guardians (50-70 pts per hit - the top guilds were facing ridiculously souped up guardians too). You assume no losses. You assume an average of 375pts per win -- which is way too high. You DID include discounts for bulk gem buying (albeit you got a slightly better break at 800 for $70).

Your ceiling is too low (look at what guilds actually scored). But assuming it is 2M and you have 40 members, that's 50K each - why did you assume 9k each?

Keep it simple. $1 = 900 pts (Average of 250 pts per win, 80% win percentage and partial points for guardians and losses). Average "Free" points/player =12hrs*3days*60min/25min*225pts = 19,440/player 40 players = 777,600 "free points" Subtract that total from total scored and divide result by 900 that's roughly how much they spent.

Hakurou
09-19-2013, 08:08 AM
How about taking different currencies and prices in calculation?

In Europe a 800 Gem Package costs 89,99 € which equals about 120 $.

LadyBadTouch
09-19-2013, 08:12 AM
There is a whole lot of math going on here, and I want nothing to do with it :confused:

Angel of Death
09-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Our GM has 461,352 war points with 1169 wins and 66 losses
Average point /battle = 373.6

Mr Spock
09-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Those calculations are way off. You omit sentinels (no points) and guardians (50-70 pts per hit - the top guilds were facing ridiculously souped up guardians too). You assume no losses. You assume an average of 375pts per win -- which is way too high. You DID include discounts for bulk gem buying (albeit you got a slightly better break at 800 for $70).

Your ceiling is too low (look at what guilds actually scored). But assuming it is 2M and you have 40 members, that's 50K each - why did you assume 9k each?

Keep it simple. $1 = 900 pts (Average of 250 pts per win, 80% win percentage and partial points for guardians and losses). Average "Free" points/player =12hrs*3days*60min/25min*225pts = 19,440/player 40 players = 777,600 "free points" Subtract that total from total scored and divide result by 900 that's roughly how much they spent.

Actually our calcs are almost identical. The 9000 number u questioned represented the 9 million generated points to hence get the $6000 based on 2 million generated free points... I calculated a most possible number of 2 million based on 24/7 play for all 40 people your 775K is a much more realistic number..

I am saying $1= 1000 points and then adding the 50% bonus for winning the match hence $1 = 1500 points. The same thinking would yield 1350 points in your model. So not much difference at all. All the other issues as to starting points are fairly superfluous to the calculation. Hey your pretty bright... :)

The Pale Rider
09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Actually our calcs are almost identical. The 9000 number u questioned represented the 9 million generated points to hence get the $6000 based on 2 million generated free points... I calculated a most possible number of 2 million based on 24/7 play for all 40 people your 775K is a much more realistic number..

I am saying $1= 1000 points and then adding the 50% bonus for winning the match hence $1 = 1500 points. The same thinking would yield 1350 points in your model. So not much difference at all. All the other issues as to starting points are fairly superfluous to the calculation. Hey your pretty bright... :)

Makes sense. Great.