PDA

View Full Version : Battle advice wanted

Stumps
09-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Just wondering if one of the more organised teams can offer some advice on battle strategies.

We are constantly just scraping through to the top 750, but feel we could move up with better strategies.

So, if you're willing to pass on some advice on taking down the DL, how best to scout, how many ppl scout, is there a best time during war to attack, etc. please inbox suggestions (with any other roles i may not be aware of).

For info, we have a combination of mid (2K), low and non gold users. 25 member faction with high and LLPs.

Cheers.

Mcdoc
09-10-2013, 03:27 AM
You asked in public - why not give the answers in public so everyone can benefit from a good strategy.

1) 25 people can never pull as much weight as 60 people - get more people or broker a merger - just get more people :)

2) Communication! If your team isn't using GroupMe / Chatzy / Palringo - or so e other outside instant chat program - find one - get everyone on board - and get instant communication flowing.

3) Intelligence gathering / recording / sorting / re-posting - is the KEY to success!
Don't have people waste their shots blindly - so find 3 or 4 other factions near your match-ups to form an "intelligence alliance" with - create a shared google.doc where 4 or 5 people from each team have admin rights to update info - have 2 scouts - one top down - one bottom up - and call off the scouting once you identify high stat targets / mid stat targets / and low stat targets - but RECORD that intel on the Google Doc - do a double sort (first by Def stat 2nd by level) - then REPOST that intel in both your OUTSIDE chat tool AND in the In-game forum (this is key - one of my factions consistently failed to copy good intel to in-game and they finished way lower that they should have).

Edit: THIS is where people get relaxed - they see 5 people active in the chat and figure they are the only 5 in battle - NOT REALIZING that someone may try to log in quickly at work and literally only have 3 minutes to check the in-game forum for intel - pop off 4 shots for an average of 300 WD (1000 to 1200) versus taking the safe bet and only hitting the Command Center for 50 to 75 WD (200 to 300 WD) rather than hit blindly and risk losing - which gives the other team even MORE WD against you. Those "quickie" drive-by hits add up over 30 to 40 battle - 1200x30 battles vs 300x30

If a team doesn't contribute to the intel process - then they lose access to the data sheet next battle. 4 teams can collect much more data on multiple teams faster than one intel team can. Then you have quadrupled your chances to get instant intel when you face a team - and on the last day - you can have intel posted before the Wall is down.

Ok - that's my pitch on intel strategy - I'm sure others will add valuable tips on other aspects of battle . . . . . . . . . . .

BUT

it may not be a bad idea to hang back - lay low - earn some easy match-ups by purposely losing your first two battles - and focus on collecting the Faction LTQ prizes which in the long run - mean better stats for all your team mates vs whether or not you gained one additional prize to finish 231 vs 485 vs 618 (that covers 3 tiers).

Edit: So you have to step back and re-evaluate - does getting more overall WD points to push you into the Top 500 or Top 250 prize Tier really serve you better than strategic match-ups with lower scoring team - quckly attacking them in the first five minutes to demonstrate your strength - but waiting until the last 10 minutes to bring it on and win just enough to score a victory - thus going for more overall Wins & streaks vs overall WD point total & placement prizes.

Good Luck :)

Stumps
09-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Thx McDoc. Ive never thought of the intel gathering. Looks like i need to find factions needing the same.

Jhenry02
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Stumps, in the 750 range factions; you need at least 5 scouts. Top 4 second 4, third 4, etc.
2 guys doing recon requires a lot of gold. At 750 I'm guessing there isn't much gold use. But yeah, get your scouts. Remind them they are vital to the mission. It's not a glamorous job because it doesn't rack up points; but it is crucial as you expand and have guys who can headhunt.

SGT Rud
09-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I agree with both McDoc and Jhenry. The use of an external chat is extremely vital. The in-game forum is one thing, but the ability to recall scouting reports is the key to success. If you fight the same faction twice, no sense wasting hits on people who have already been scouted.

Everyone knowing what roll they play is another good key. You are going to incur losses as a scout and not get as many WD points. That drives people away from wanting to do that job. Your team has to understand that it is one, not 30 players, it is one team. Think of it like this. Lets say you have 30 players, and each gets 4 hits in WD total with no gold. That is 120 hits you are going to get. You need to look at it that way, as your team will have 120 hits. Where do you want to put those hits. Use of an external chat allows you and your officers to guide your players to where you need them.

lemonhaze
09-10-2013, 09:57 AM
I agree with both McDoc and Jhenry. The use of an external chat is extremely vital. The in-game forum is one thing, but the ability to recall scouting reports is the key to success. If you fight the same faction twice, no sense wasting hits on people who have already been scouted.

Everyone knowing what roll they play is another good key. You are going to incur losses as a scout and not get as many WD points. That drives people away from wanting to do that job. Your team has to understand that it is one, not 30 players, it is one team. Think of it like this. Lets say you have 30 players, and each gets 4 hits in WD total with no gold. That is 120 hits you are going to get. You need to look at it that way, as your team will have 120 hits. Where do you want to put those hits. Use of an external chat allows you and your officers to guide your players to where you need them. agreed..im 1 of the scouts for my team as jhenry said its a very boreing job but i know getting the info to my other teammates means racking up points so i took up the job and everthing been great since..

Kefa
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Awesome response, Mcdoc. Thanks for sharing your ideas publicly!

& The Horse U Rode In On
09-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Excellent comments all! I have found the key is to know your faction members inside and out. Not just who has checked in at roll call to fight but what are their stats and how they can best be used from fight to fight. The same people may not be there every battle so you must assign recon duties immediately before the battle starts. Do not let your weaker players recon. Let them wait for a clear target they can hit successfully and avoid unnecessary losses.

At your level you are probably not taking down every wall. Once war is declared evaluate the strength of the wall and who you have fighting. Sometimes it is best to leave it up and just go for the points.

SevenO9
09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
On the topic of roles and 'boring' jobs: I used to be a World of Warcraft addict. I played with a really good (world top 500) guild. All 25 members playing to maximizing their individual output. Then I was recruited into a top 30 guild and the major difference was obvious from day one: All 25 member playing to maximizing the teams output. Once the entire team acknowledges this it becomes a different game. 1 + 1 = 3

MaroonMonsoon
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Throw your phone in the toilet and quit playing

ryguy8899
09-10-2013, 04:37 PM
great battle advice can tell ur a boss.

Stumps
09-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the constructive advice. Its good to see the senior members helping.

Blade of 3
09-11-2013, 04:39 AM
Should you have your strongest players scout?

& The Horse U Rode In On
09-11-2013, 08:00 AM
The intel sharing aspect is something I have seen discussed often, but haven't seen in practice. Is this a spreadsheet or some other type of sortable document? Mcdoc or someone else, can you post up an example or PM me one? I would like to bring this up for consideration in our faction. Thanks

Dutchie
09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Google shared spreadsheet is used to gather intel. Every faction has their own spreadsheet they update but then you have a master spreadsheet containing the factions that have been scouted and on which spreadsheet the intel can be found. It is recommended that the strongest players do the scouting once the fortification is down to maximise points. Fort down and scouting should take no more than 10 mins at most if well organised. 5 mins is good going!

Dan Cai
09-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Sound bit of advice from Mcdoc.

Mcdoc
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
The intel sharing aspect is something I have seen discussed often, but haven't seen in practice. Is this a spreadsheet or some other type of sortable document? Mcdoc or someone else, can you post up an example or PM me one? I would like to bring this up for consideration in our faction. Thanks

We have been using a shared google Doc since Greenland - works well when you have several teams invested in the bigger picture of gathering intel quickly in the first 36 hours to make the final 36 hours super fast to post intel before the wall is even down.

The big picture - only scout a team one time - then maximize WD scoring the rest of the battles.

It s best to team up with 4 or 5 factions in your match-up bracket - because a Top 25 team intel is useless to a Top 500 team & vice versa. A pocket - or collaboration - of 4 or 5 teams in each bracket is truly the next evolution in War - Alliances :) But that doesn't mean when you face a friendly team you don't maximize your WD potential - just sucks if you're both close to winning a streak prize :)

Edit: Although I must add - the intel sheet has to be updated a lot more frequently now that people can have that stats go up 20k to 50k between Friday & Sunday with all the WD LTQ prizes awarded instantly after consecutive streak wins & accumulative victory awards.