PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate Loyalty

Idiosyncrasy
08-17-2013, 11:21 PM
TL;DR: Are you loyal to your syndicate no matter what, or do you look for other opportunities to fit your competitiveness?

Crime City used to be a very individualistic game, aside from unofficial clans held by invisible bonds. With the creation of syndicates, a sense of loyalty was born. The game's ultimate goal is to advance your individual character, but it is now also to advance those characters of your fellow syndicate members, and thus the syndicate of which you are a member, as if it were its own morphous entity.

As donations are contributed, decisions are made, mentoring is achieved, battles are won, and rewards are earned, loyalty is reinforced with every war. I, personally, have formed bonds with my fellow syndicate members on a deeper level than pure game mechanics and goals.

But we must not forget - we play to win, and you only win with advancement... until you retire. That being said, where does your loyalty lie within your syndicate? Say you were recruited, for relativity's sake, to a top 250 team, which is now a top 1500 team. You have contributed hundreds of millions of dollars, and hundreds, if not thousands, of bricks. You are a seasoned and respected officer. You are a decision maker, a mentor, and make an impact on the team. However, your potential has far exceeded the mean of what has become your syndicate. Average points have dwindled. You find yourself ending wars with more points than the defense leader, claiming the unrewarded number one spot in your syndicate's leaderboard. All of this with only 75% participation in wars from other members, and only a fraction of those achieving the goals set out by the leader. Key officers have left, the leader's presence has dwindled, and motivation has sunk.

Bonds still exist. It is what has kept you in for so long. You are on your game, yet you have ignored the recruiting efforts of more capable syndicates. You pull the dead weight of others, but you begin to wear. For how long?

How far does loyalty get you? At what point do you cut ties and look for other opportunities? When you are no longer challenged, you become stagnant. Stagnation breads inefficiency and degradation in performance. For the sake of self, what do you do?

You play because you are logical, strategic, and competitive, but you are still human. Are you loyal to your syndicate no matter what, or do you look for other opportunities to fit your competitiveness?

BigMoney
08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm loyal. I've had plenty of opportunities to move up from a top 25, and I never did. When I first started the game, I thought I was just going to keep climbing the syndicate ranks, from top 1000, to top 250, to top 25... and then I stayed there.

I play this game to have fun. And while I do enjoy being a 'strong' player, (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?49975-How-many-people-have-you-robbed&p=930946#post930946) eventually you realize that no matter what you do, there will always be bigger fish than you. I enjoy the people in my current syndicate, and have a lot more fun playing the game with them than I would if I was in a higher ranked syndicate (where there seems to be a hell of a lot more turnover, players shuffling teams, etc).

budman68
08-18-2013, 05:36 AM
I play this game to have fun. And while I do enjoy being a 'strong' player, (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?49975-How-many-people-have-you-robbed&p=930946#post930946) eventually you realize that no matter what you do, there will always be bigger fish than you. I enjoy the people in my current syndicate, and have a lot more fun playing the game with them than I would if I was in a higher ranked syndicate (where there seems to be a hell of a lot more turnover, players shuffling teams, etc).

Couldn't agree more.

Dipstik
08-18-2013, 05:47 AM
HTC4L

#smug

My2cents
08-18-2013, 05:53 AM
I've been with my syndicate since the beginning, but when I am ready to cut ties and move on relationships will not keep me from enjoying the game the way I play it. Yes you get to know them as they talk about families, careers, hobbies, etc. However, I don't know them as people I see everyday...I wouldn't know the homeless guy was BigMoney if I happened to drop a quarter in his held out hand :).

Winning isn't about quitting the game, but the fun you have. It's not fun thinking I have to put up so many points or risk being cut. What if I want to take a weekend off?!

TL;DR. I'm loyal to my syndicate so long as it serves the purpose of making my gaming style fun.

Captain Torgue
08-18-2013, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't know the homeless guy was BigMoney if I happened to drop a quarter in his held out hand :).

hahaha you only gave him a quarter? C'mon mate, drug habits are expensive these days :)

OZTHEMAN
08-18-2013, 10:53 AM
please read below thank you

OZTHEMAN
08-18-2013, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=budman68;931349]Couldn't agree more.[/QUOTE
]
I COULDNT DISAGREE MORE!! (please excuse caps)
Please allow me to explain myself.. I started off in a syndicate where the leader was a female with an attitude, during the very first battle we ran out of walls though we had bricks and contributors..Six of us ran away and joined another syndicate where the leader would brag about winning big boss but would not reach 50 000 ip points during battle..I did my utmost in my two battles there to bring in good players as we had ended in the top 25 in both battles, they had ended in top 50 prior to our coming..I asked my leader about his low scores during the two previous battles but my question was too much for the leader and he kicked me out on the day of the battle I joined another great group of people and took 3 friends on the day of the battle with me, one of them was a million point scorer..we by accident alone had joined a top ten team,, I had not known this till the start of the battle,, from my previous syndicate there was uproar for my eradication and 26 of the other members left my previous syndicate after the battle as they ended top 50 again.. I want to be happy where I am now, a lot of people have come and gone due to the pressures and demands of a top ten team.. but what is FUN? Loosing and accepting fate or trying your level best to improve on what you have? For me a game is a challenge not just "hi hun" even though as happy as I may be to reply and be cordial towards my team members and what others call family.. for ME true happiness is not defeat but to rise to the challenge and win!!
I have posted loyal and with the team I am I will be until I retire or decide to go and join someone to be there DL and hand out lots of CC money to build their syndicate..

Idiosyncrasy
08-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow, I didn't think the poll would lean so far to loyal! It looks like loyalty does run deep with a lot of syns.

Interesting way to start a thread, so I took your advice.

Hopefully you at least made it through the question.

BigMoney
08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I COULDNT DISAGREE MORE!! (please excuse caps)
Please allow me to explain myself.. I started off in a syndicate where the leader was a female with an attitude, during the very first battle we ran out of walls though we had bricks and contributors..Six of us ran away and joined another syndicate where the leader would brag about winning big boss but would not reach 50 000 ip points during battle..I did my utmost in my two battles there to bring in good players as we had ended in the top 25 in both battles, they had ended in top 50 prior to our coming..I asked my leader about his low scores during the two previous battles but my question was too much for the leader and he kicked me out on the day of the battle I joined another great group of people and took 3 friends on the day of the battle with me, one of them was a million point scorer..we by accident alone had joined a top ten team,, I had not known this till the start of the battle,, from my previous syndicate there was uproar for my eradication and 26 of the other members left my previous syndicate after the battle as they ended top 50 again.. I want to be happy where I am now, a lot of people have come and gone due to the pressures and demands of a top ten team.. but what is FUN? Loosing and accepting fate or trying your level best to improve on what you have? For me a game is a challenge not just "hi hun" even though as happy as I may be to reply and be cordial towards my team members and what others call family.. for ME true happiness is not defeat but to rise to the challenge and win!!
I have posted loyal and with the team I am I will be until I retire or decide to go and join someone to be there DL and hand out lots of CC money to build their syndicate..

Sounds like your syndicate was a mess. I don't see why you would feel loyalty to such a syndicate, but that's clearly different than what the poll was asking anyway.

jsarko
08-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I love C.C. and the syndicate wars were the best thing GREE did for this game since i started. I am an active daily....more like hourly player. My first syndicate was a top150 group that had huge potential to be top100 or even top75 and have a great leader. PROBLEM was half the team were freeloading off the core members who put in LOTS of time and real world money. So we (the core and leader) left. PROBLEM #2 we merged with another syndicate that promised a inf. point minimum and most important participation. After 2 wars the leader was replaced...worst freeloader of the group and several members were cut, but not all the freeloaders. Now here we are again..decision time do we stay or go...Our core group is very loyal, and will always stick together. But those who dont do their part kill syndicate loyalty. Im loyal to my core group til i retire syndicates come and go. DON'T BE A FREELOADER!!!!! At least help and participate.

Legen...dary
08-18-2013, 08:25 PM
DON'T BE A FREELOADER!!!!! At least help and participate.

If you moved to a Top5 syndicate then You would be the freeloader. If those slackers from your two discussed syndicates moved into a Top4000 then they would be the ones everyone was freeloading off of. The hard part is getting a whole group on the same page. Short term and long term goals need to be stated clearly. Gold, IP, and participation expectations (and almost, to keep everyone happy, Limits) need to be stated clearly. There will always be the one, or few, who want to push for that next tier no matter how high you get, and there will always be the members who are at their spending / activity upper limit already.

I have one guy who, loyal as he's been, wants to spend more money on gold. Most of us aren't with him on that. We'll be missing his modest Top250 spending and some other team will gain some decent Top50 spending. He's always been plenty active and participatory. When the prizes aren't as great, or his gung-ho fades away he'll have a Top250 spot to come home to. That's loyalty.

Tommy Two Toes
08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
TL;DR: Are...

+1 for funny.

Interesting way to start a thread, so I took your advice.

+1 for funny.