PDA

View Full Version : chat apps

stiffarm
08-16-2013, 06:51 PM
What would be a good chat app. that you can send notifications to a group when a war has started (like sending a text message)? Would also be nice to be able to turn it off when not playing.

Whodi
08-16-2013, 06:56 PM
GroupMe, Parlingo, Kako & LINE Messenger seem to be the most popular thru the MW community and in that order

Machine Gun
08-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Palringo has to be top of the list, groupme is crap.

Hupernikomen
08-16-2013, 07:30 PM
groupme easily the best i have tried.

HExXxENBEAST@SUP1
08-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Used GROUPME for SUP2, HIPCHAT for SUP1 and Ferr, KIK for seal team-6 and Palringo for my LLP faction.
I'm tired of installing apps lol.
HIPCHAT format is boring, kik only allows 20 users per room, and Palringo is bland.
I enjoyed the GroupMe features the best, especially with the new update.

Captnmorgan
08-16-2013, 08:09 PM
We use groupme.

Hupernikomen
08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
groupme allows 50 and they will expand that upon request..can post pictures and now has emoticons. i really don't know what other features you would want. we tried skype and touch..skype was okay but not the kind of features that you have on groupme. touch was horrific.

pimmen8
08-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I like kakao and wechat the most

Zachio
08-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I like groupme better but it has a max members list of 50, so if you need something to handle larger amount of members go with Palringo.

HExXxENBEAST@SUP1
08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
I like groupme better but it has a max members list of 50, so if you need something to handle larger amount of members go with Palringo.

You can request for the limit to be increased. We had to do that once.

Powerbang
08-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Feature wise and ease of use wise, Kakao Talk and LINE are nearly identical, with minor differences. No limit on chatroom size. For MW, Palringo and Group Me seem to be most popular.

I've used all of them. If I had to select one, it would be between LINE and kakao.

Mcdoc
08-17-2013, 01:55 AM
What would be a good chat app. that you can send notifications to a group when a war has started (like sending a text message)? Would also be nice to be able to turn it off when not playing.

So the REAL answer to your underlying question - which seems to be how to let people know war has started - seems to be different than what is a good app to chat it up during a war.

Here's an idea I've been working on - because emails - chats - just don't get my attention anymore with the mass amount of notiifications I get - which is why I usually ask someone who is on to text me once a battle is engaged or specifically text my LLP if there is a good target in range.

So yo mentioned text - and truly - most people have a different "sound" for text than for emails - so a Text message would actually get your attention.

Here is one possible solution: If a team member owns a domain - say for instance - mwteamzulu.com - then they would have complete control over creating an email alias / and group email lists for the whole team.

Works like this - Flounder tells the domain owner to create a redirect email for flounder@mwteamzulu.com and have it go to his cellphone text or pic address - i.e. - 6195551212@vtext.com (for verizon) and each phone carrier has an email that converts to your cell number.

Then the owner of that domain could create an email Group with ALL of those folks as a member called WAR@mwteamzulu.com - and when war is engaged - a single email can go out to everyone in that list - and come through as a text - without having to lay out your phone number to everyone :0

You could even create special lists for each time of day that you care to be notified - so for instance - USdaytimezones@mwteamzulu.com - and then the email is initiated for those who want to be notified during those set hours - euroteam@mwteamzulu.com - nightcrew@mwteamzulu.com - etc

It sounds more complicated than it is - but - I think this may be the most effective way to get everyone on the team quickly and effectively notified :)

If you are saying to yourself : "Huh" - then maybe you just never owned a domain and let those who do figure it out :)

Good Luck!

SGT Rud
08-17-2013, 07:00 AM
McDoc has a great idea. Mine is the best app for it is one that has a distinct sound, or one that has a pop up over the MW game or app your currently on. And the ability to reply msg the group without having to shut down the MW app. Unless you are using a seperate device or PC for groupme, it gets tiredsome re-loading MW after each message.

But - if your faction runs smoothly enough, you can set designated times for war declaration. (NEXT BATTLE IN 30 MIN)

Stacey
08-17-2013, 07:07 AM
We use groupme as well.

Machine Gun
08-17-2013, 07:30 AM

Palringo can go well over 50 members so you might wanna check your facts on that one !

SGT Rud
08-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Palringo can go well over 50 members so you might wanna check your facts on that one !

Might want to re-read the quote you just blasted too. as in GROUPME holds 50, PALRINGO holds more.

jchow69
08-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Try Glassboard. You might like it.

stiffarm
08-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Zachio
08-17-2013, 10:18 AM
You can request for the limit to be increased. We had to do that once.

Good to know, thanks!

You might want to re-read my post...

Might want to re-read the quote you just blasted too. as in GROUPME holds 50, PALRINGO holds more.

Thanks you!

HExXxENBEAST@SUP1
08-17-2013, 10:18 AM
So the REAL answer to your underlying question - which seems to be how to let people know war has started - seems to be different than what is a good app to chat it up during a war.

Here's an idea I've been working on - because emails - chats - just don't get my attention anymore with the mass amount of notiifications I get - which is why I usually ask someone who is on to text me once a battle is engaged or specifically text my LLP if there is a good target in range.

So yo mentioned text - and truly - most people have a different "sound" for text than for emails - so a Text message would actually get your attention.

Here is one possible solution: If a team member owns a domain - say for instance - mwteamzulu.com - then they would have complete control over creating an email alias / and group email lists for the whole team.

Works like this - Flounder tells the domain owner to create a redirect email for flounder@mwteamzulu.com and have it go to his cellphone text or pic address - i.e. - 6195551212@vtext.com (for verizon) and each phone carrier has an email that converts to your cell number.

Then the owner of that domain could create an email Group with ALL of those folks as a member called WAR@mwteamzulu.com - and when war is engaged - a single email can go out to everyone in that list - and come through as a text - without having to lay out your phone number to everyone :0

You could even create special lists for each time of day that you care to be notified - so for instance - USdaytimezones@mwteamzulu.com - and then the email is initiated for those who want to be notified during those set hours - euroteam@mwteamzulu.com - nightcrew@mwteamzulu.com - etc

It sounds more complicated than it is - but - I think this may be the most effective way to get everyone on the team quickly and effectively notified :)

If you are saying to yourself : "Huh" - then maybe you just never owned a domain and let those who do figure it out :)

Good Luck!

With GroupMe, there are multiple rooms. The main room for one faction i was in is for chatting and debauchery. There was a separate room called the War Room for intel only, with no chatting permitted. NO TALKING IN THE WAR ROOM!!!!! Lol a few of us got yelled at for breaking that rule.
Usually we were just alerted in the general room to quit yappin and get our butts into the war room when war was declared.

NO TALKING IN THE WAR ROOM!!!!!!!!!
:hiss hiss meow:

stephen2013
08-17-2013, 10:23 AM
GroupMe works really well for my current and last faction.

chief tase
08-17-2013, 10:23 AM
is there any good app for android on play market?

Mcdoc
08-17-2013, 10:26 AM
His original question was - how to Notify people when the war starts - something to catch attention.

My Palringo dings every time a new message is posted - my ears won't know the difference between a call to battle or general back and forth conversation - but a different sound coming from a text message - maybe even a custom sound set for that contact - signals the beginning of a war - and like I said in my post - you could have different email groups for each time of day so you don't wake people up and pi$$ off the wife sleeping next to you - LoL

Maybe he didn't even understand his own question since he started off asking about a chat app. BIG difference between an "ALERT - battle has begun" type notifiction (i.e. text message he mentioned) vs just back & forth chat & intel exchange

Hupernikomen
08-17-2013, 11:55 AM
one nice feature on groupme, and probably other apps, is that you can turn notifications on/off for each room in which you are a member. Some groups make it mandatory you leave notifications on in the war room so you can get all notifications. This is why we ask for no chat in war room, among other reasons. As long as everyone has notifications on by war time you have a way of reaching a lot of people. I also have a website that I can mass email everyone but I rarely use that anymore.

HGF69
08-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Good Luck!

We have the BoS website/forum. Can send emails to all group members, or other groups like just mods. Use groupme for recreation more than anything.

HExXxENBEAST@SUP1
08-17-2013, 01:34 PM
NOOOOOOOO TALKING IN THE WAR ROOM!
No SUP for you!!!!!!