PDA

View Full Version : Point of Stat Inflation?

Armand2REP
08-03-2013, 01:41 AM
We all have seen it, units are getting far more powerful very fast. I am trying to figure out how this benefits GREE, ie the bottom line. The goal is to get people to spend more money, any rational business sense is to provide a product or experience where the customer feels satisfied with their purchase. The people who have spent beaucoup cash over the last year or two are now finding that the money they spent is now irrelevant. Veteran players are leaving in droves feeling it was all for nothing with mass ghost cities populating the rivals list. How is this benefiting GREE? That is less people to spend money. Is this how you reward loyal customers?

iluvmass
08-03-2013, 05:00 AM
its to help new folks and lower level folks have a chance to catch up otherwise playing as a new person would be pointless

Brizzol
08-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Well it benefits GREE by you lot leaving and new players paying gold to do the events, by the sounds of it you have already paid in the past and are not getting the powerfull units because you aren't spending gold.
If you aren't spending money in the present how would they lose money if you left?

Armand2REP
08-03-2013, 11:25 AM
its to help new folks and lower level folks have a chance to catch up otherwise playing as a new person would be pointless

It wouldn't be pointless if they left in the original mechanics of the game. Cash units and mid level valor units are worthless now. Why don't they inflate those stats to make them relevant again? The remnants of the old game are there like fossils reminding us of what fun it used to be.

Well it benefits GREE by you lot leaving and new players paying gold to do the events, by the sounds of it you have already paid in the past and are not getting the powerfull units because you aren't spending gold.
If you aren't spending money in the present how would they lose money if you left?

The old lot leaving doesn't benefit GREE. It is over half the market segment they aren't drawing revenue. I don't plan on leaving, just camping until the time is right to make my break.

pick_sax
08-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Additionally, I believe from observations, that getting some,of the higher units results in leveling. When I fight I seem to get less points in WD events, per hit. I think they are,trying to get more gold spending. So, as you increase level, to score more faction points, they want you to use more gold. IMHO

W226
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Stat inflation has one distinct reason: you cannot rest on your laurels. This forces people to keep playing daily in order to keep their strength up. Unfortunately, the pace of stat inflation suggests that Gree is really just milking the game dry and has no plans for keeping the game up long term.

Future
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I think it will continue to be supported because there is tons of money to be made by GREE.

riderrod
09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
With all the indestructible units out there, Gree needed to make the old units worthless so people are driven to improve. Otherwise the top players could coast and not spend any gold. They may grumble about it, but many are still here. Gree has to find the right balance of stat inflation to keep gold spenders spending and not leaving. I would suggest that a 64000 attack unit is inflation too fast.

But everyone is always welcome to play for free.

Adm.J
09-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Just like the ltq's, the first prize or two was good. Now, not so much.

Kefa
09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
It wouldn't be pointless if they left in the original mechanics of the game. Cash units and mid level valor units are worthless now. Why don't they inflate those stats to make them relevant again? The remnants of the old game are there like fossils reminding us of what fun it used to be.

The old lot leaving doesn't benefit GREE. It is over half the market segment they aren't drawing revenue. I don't plan on leaving, just camping until the time is right to make my break.

You need to think of this from their top-down perspective instead. They have all the analytics that we don't have. They know which demographic, so to speak (veteran players, new players, mid-level players trying to grow, etc), gets them the most total revenue, and they know what each piece of gold is spent toward. We can only guess at those data based on how we play and how those we talk with play, but when there are so many thousands of players our personal perspective is very, very limited, even when 80% of those we talk with have similar behavior to our own. That fact doesn't by any means conclude that 80% of all players operate with the same behavior since we each surround ourselves with like-minded individuals. Even those on the forum are fairly divided as to who liked the WD LTQ vs. who didn't, and the forum is hardly a scientific sample slice of players overall.

I'm quite certain their decisions are made based on their analytics with their own business growth goals in mind. If more total gold is spent toward health and energy refills during events than on gold units, it makes sense from a business standpoint to emphasize those streams... Like, maybe they read the 80/20 principle and are bold enough to apply it. It also makes good sense from a business standpoint to have 10,000 people spending $20 each than to have 200 people spending $1,000 each, even though the total of either is the same $200,000.

jjm521
09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
W226 and Kefa get it. They made $2m in a weekend during war on Canada. Im pretty sure that means people are still playing....and spending

KFH
09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
You need to think of this from their top-down perspective instead. They have all the analytics that we don't have. They know which demographic, so to speak (veteran players, new players, mid-level players trying to grow, etc), gets them the most total revenue, and they know what each piece of gold is spent toward. We can only guess at those data based on how we play and how those we talk with play, but when there are so many thousands of players our personal perspective is very, very limited, even when 80% of those we talk with have similar behavior to our own. That fact doesn't by any means conclude that 80% of all players operate with the same behavior since we each surround ourselves with like-minded individuals. Even those on the forum are fairly divided as to who liked the WD LTQ vs. who didn't, and the forum is hardly a scientific sample slice of players overall.

I'm quite certain their decisions are made based on their analytics with their own business growth goals in mind. If more total gold is spent toward health and energy refills during events than on gold units, it makes sense from a business standpoint to emphasize those streams... Like, maybe they read the 80/20 principle and are bold enough to apply it. It also makes good sense from a business standpoint to have 10,000 people spending $20 each than to have 200 people spending $1,000 each, even though the total of either is the same $200,000.I get what your saying but your giving gree to much credit, they of course use every tactic that's used to increase profits. but i can promise you they can not and don't keep track of every piece of gold and where it is going. They might be able to see where a set different amount net up to, but if they had the ability to track everything so easily i would assume the game would run a lot smoother

"I'm quite certain their decisions are made based on their analytics with their own business growth goals in mind" this would be a practice of every business that wants to stay making money

Jlc
09-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Kefa, you are 100% correct. To us is a game and we have the ability to simply play another game that pleases more than this one, if we choose to. To Gree is a business and their purpose is to make money for their shareholders while trying to keep a (hopefully) large portion of the players entertained so that they can play/spend more.
Now if you don't think Gree knows what they're doing, go play somewhere else.
It's funny how some players demand that those posting TLQ results give them more information so they can decide wether to continue playing or not, but they in turn are to busy complaining and demanding rather than contributing to the list.
We should have a nagging forum just for those players and a constructive forum for everyone else.

Belle_B
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
And there you go couldn't said it better myself

Kefa, you are 100% correct. To us is a game and we have the ability to simply play another game that pleases more than this one, if we choose to. To Gree is a business and their purpose is to make money for their shareholders while trying to keep a (hopefully) large portion of the players entertained so that they can play/spend more.
Now if you don't think Gree knows what they're doing, go play somewhere else.
It's funny how some players demand that those posting TLQ results give them more information so they can decide wether to continue playing or not, but they in turn are to busy complaining and demanding rather than contributing to the list.
We should have a nagging forum just for those players and a constructive forum for everyone else.

aphroKEN
09-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Stat inflation has one distinct reason: you cannot rest on your laurels. This forces people to keep playing daily in order to keep their strength up. Unfortunately, the pace of stat inflation suggests that Gree is really just milking the game dry and has no plans for keeping the game up long term.

^This +1

Faster stat inflation reduces the period of dominance of the top players can achieve from being inactive or not spending gold. It encourages top stat players to be actively spend gold to hold onto their reign of power.

e.g. without stat inflation, a top stat player can remain at the top for 2 years without being active or spending additional gold before being overtaken by a new player. With stat inflation, he will only last in that spot for 2 months before being overtaken. With severe stat inflation, maybe only 2 days.

Adm.J
09-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Top players weren't only top players. And they won't always be. As long as Gree finds new suckers, they have no problems. And it looks like they keep finding a bunch.

greenwing
09-05-2013, 12:31 AM
but i can promise you they can not and don't keep track of every piece of gold and where it is going. They might be able to see where a set different amount net up to, but if they had the ability to track everything so easily i would assume the game would run a lot smoother

Of course they track for what things gold is used. They might not track every single gold piece but that would be useless, all they need is an overview of how many gold is spend on what event/unit/etc. It's what brings them their money.

The thing is, they want to make as much money but spend as little as possible to achieve it. If they need to spend 100k to gain an additional 50k they will not do it. If you look at what they make on this game there's no reason for them to make it run smoother. All they need to do is make sure that the players keep paying. And so far they are doing a great job at it. You see a lot of complaints on the forum, but on the other hand if you look at the score of a lot of factions during events the players still use a lot of gold.

Stats inflation is needed to keep the game attractive for old but also new players. New players can catch up, old players have to keep playing. For both it's a good incentive to pay.