PDA

View Full Version : What's the best group messaging app for Android/iPhone ?

f3enomenal
08-01-2013, 05:25 AM
My team and I are currently using TOUCH but are looking to use a different type of communication app but not sure what to chose. Just downloaded Palringo but not sure if we want to take that route. Any suggestions?

bald zeemer
08-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Don't do palringo.

Kakao and Groupme are by far the top 2.

OBAMASMAMA
08-01-2013, 05:30 AM
My team and I are currently using TOUCH but are looking to use a different type of communication app but not sure what to chose. Just downloaded Palringo but not sure if we want to take that route. Any suggestions?

They all suck but Kakao is the best.

f3enomenal
08-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Don't do palringo.

Kakao and Groupme are by far the top 2.

Kakao, never heard of that.. I'll look it up

JonHanFord
08-01-2013, 05:34 AM
GroupMe is bestest ! lol.. from the word "Group" group chat/communication

sister morphine
08-01-2013, 05:36 AM
I didn't like palringo at all when my KA guild leader wanted to use it, at least on a phone. I'm told it's better on a computer. Anyway, that team now uses groupme which is much better, although the version I'm using now has a few annoying quirks of behaviour. Groupme will also want you to input your phone number, which some people understandably object to.

On that subject I read recently that in the uk the telephone regulator Ofcom maintains a range of fake phone numbers which can be used in movies or tv shows etc. if your country has a similar band of fake numbers it could be an option to avoid having to use your own.

Back to the question, the other app I use (for my current CC syndicate) is kakao. Either are good. Groupme is designed for groups as the name suggests. There's an initial limit of 50 people per group but it's pretty easy to get that made larger. I'm not sure how creating groups in kakao works, but the app works well

splinker
08-01-2013, 06:01 AM
LINE chat app.

Fatherllama
08-01-2013, 07:07 AM
I've used Palringo, Kakao and Groupme, and of the three, Groupme is by far the best. Clean, isn't too much of a resource hog, and you can log in via web browser, not just on your device. Super easy to add people and make new groups, too.

Kakao has some nice features, but it's... strange. I never did figure out how to add people I wasn't already in a group with as friends, and I got pretty tired of all the Kpop ad spam. Also has some problems on Android in my experience, not sure if that makes a difference to you.

Palringo is terrible -- has ads, clunky UI, only updates the last five or so messages at a time when you scroll up. Avoid at all costs.

Randolph
08-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Groupme for sure

Snot
08-01-2013, 07:17 AM
I have used Kakao, Line, GroupMe and Palringo.

Found Kakao the worst of them all - does not have a stand alone iPad version and no access from PC
Line does not have a stand alone version for iPad thou but can use from PC, LIne also has cool stickers you can add into chat as well as emotes
Group Me has challnges with maximum amount of members in rooms (50) - has iPad version and PC access, GroupMe has a cool thumbs up feature - good for roll calls
Palringo has no challenges with use

Hope this helps bro :)

The Billionaire
08-01-2013, 07:48 AM
All the top teams use KakaoTalk or GroupMe.

I think KakaoTalk is the best.

sister morphine
08-01-2013, 07:51 AM
I have used Kakao, Line, GroupMe and Palringo.

Found Kakao the worst of them all - does not have a stand alone iPad version and no access from PC
Line does not have a stand alone version for iPad thou but can use from PC, LIne also has cool stickers you can add into chat as well as emotes
Group Me has challnges with maximum amount of members in rooms (50) - has iPad version and PC access, GroupMe has a cool thumbs up feature - good for roll calls
Palringo has no challenges with use

Hope this helps bro :)
I use kakao quite happily on my iPad. Ok, it's not designed for it but works well enough.

Groupme is still my favourite, but I chucked it off my phone because I found it effectively impossible to not get push messages for longer than 12 hours at a time (the longest the mute can be turned on). Maybe there's another way to stop it completely, but I've not found it. On my iPad this is not an issue at all.

vtwin
08-01-2013, 09:19 AM
kakao the best

MattThomas08
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Groupme hands down. I use most apps for chatting with other groups and recruiting, but Groupme takes the cake. Easy UI, excellent customer service, ability to REMOVE PEOPLE (huge), easy to make new chats and take votes, etc. only bad thing is I have an issue with my contacts, which customer service is looking into and sometimes the messages lag a little.

Good for iPad, iPhone, or PC.

kimberleyj
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Out of the choices touch is the only one i haven't used . i have always found groupme the best app for my andriod phone and my ipad.

Gingeasian
08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
groupme wins

Sharky Finn
08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Groupme is still my favourite, but I chucked it off my phone because I found it effectively impossible to not get push messages for longer than 12 hours at a time (the longest the mute can be turned on). Maybe there's another way to stop it completely, but I've not found it. On my iPad this is not an issue at all.

Go into your iDevice's settings under Notifications. You can control which push notifications you receive, where you receive them (badge, alert, lock screen), and what they look like. You can even shut them off entirely. That's how I roll. I have enough convos going, I don't need it to remind me.

the_brein
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Best android messaging app? An ios emulator running any of the above messaging apps listed.

Tommy Two Toes
08-01-2013, 09:51 AM
The best comm app is not determined by features or easy of use. It is determined by which one has most of your friends on it.

Just like beta was better than VHS, but people went for the format which had the most movies.

Your poll speaks for itself. CC players prefer Groupme.

iteachem
08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
My issue with group me is someone joining the chat has access to all previous messages.

And since its a link that people get invited to I believe that the link can be passed around so someone else could easily join.

If i am wrong about either of those let me know as I evaluated group me for just a bit.

iteachem
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Kakao also has added a pc interface which can leave multiple windows open at once. Nice feature during wars for compiling and posting lists...without having to switch rooms etc if you use multiple rooms

the_brein
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I recently saw a player that found one of those links and was able to wreak some havoc. Booted most players from the room!

scott(ST6)
08-01-2013, 10:21 AM
the creator of a groupme room can turn off the shareable feature and there is also a web front end to it which is nice during wars.

Sharky Finn
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
My issue with group me is someone joining the chat has access to all previous messages.

And since its a link that people get invited to I believe that the link can be passed around so someone else could easily join.

If i am wrong about either of those let me know as I evaluated group me for just a bit.

1. You're correct, but what you see as a problem, I see as a powerful feature. New members can get caught up very easily whereas in apps like Kakao, if you miss the chat, you miss it for good.
2. Only the creator of the chat room can generate the link, so it's entirely at his/her discretion. If you don't share links to your chats, they can't be abused. Instead pull people into chats using their contact info and your chats are impervious to surprise additions. You can even create a "lobby" area that you do share with people and then pull only the members you want into your active chats.

Mutant Ninja Turtles
08-01-2013, 10:44 AM
GroupMe, dislike Kakao's interface on mobile. Palringo has a simple UI but suffers from other disadvantages.

sister morphine
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
1. You're correct, but what you see as a problem, I see as a powerful feature. New members can get caught up very easily whereas in apps like Kakao, if you miss the chat, you miss it for good.
2. Only the creator of the chat room can generate the link, so it's entirely at his/her discretion. If you don't share links to your chats, they can't be abused. Instead pull people into chats using their contact info and your chats are impervious to surprise additions. You can even create a "lobby" area that you do share with people and then pull only the members you want into your active chats.
Agreed. And if by chance some uninvited person does get in its a doddle to remove them, as Matt pointed out.

The only issue would arise if your earlier chat has been less than complimentary to a new member of the group ;) on the other hand I do like the way kakao provides a bookmark from where you left off as opposed to jumping to the last message like groupme does.

Legen...dary
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
LINE chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Kakao is #2) (Kik is #3) (#10, Parlingo, is a messy, ad-ridden rats nest) (#NO is GroupMe) (never tried Touch, is it nice?)

archambeau
08-01-2013, 11:20 AM
I have tried palringo, GroupMe, Skype, and numerous others. In my opinion Kakao Talk is by far the best.

f3enomenal
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
LINE chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Kakao is #2) (Kik is #3) (#10, Parlingo, is a messy, ad-ridden rats nest) (#NO is GroupMe) (never tried Touch, is it nice?)

Touch is nice. You can only be added to a group, but you can't remove players without having to set up a new chat

Legen...dary
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
the creator of a groupme room can turn off the shareable feature and there is also a web front end to it which is nice during wars.

"which is nice during wars" until 30minutes of your messages don't go through and it never informs you that they didn't and it doesn't have a re-send option. You refresh the page and all your recon reports are gone. Happened to three of us before we switched. Every message is sent as a txt to a phone number. txt is not a verified system... it's a one way "hope it got through" system. Also, don't you already have enough Micro$soft in your life?

Vito6593
08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I have participated in top 10 teams who have used Kik, Parlingo & Groupme.

I also use Kakao in KA.

Without doubt Groupme is the most conducive app to helping a crew succeed.

BigNick
08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Groupme is best, was a bit put off at room limit of 50 but a quick email and the customer service came back NEXT DAY
( lesson for gree there) And raised my rooms to 60 for a full syndicate!!

scott(ST6)
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
"which is nice during wars" until 30minutes of your messages don't go through and it never informs you that they didn't and it doesn't have a re-send option. You refresh the page and all your recon reports are gone. Happened to three of us before we switched. Every message is sent as a txt to a phone number. txt is not a verified system... it's a one way "hope it got through" system. Also, don't you already have enough Micro$soft in your life?

i had those probs a few months ago but haven't seen them lately. groupme is the only microsoft product i use...well that and ie 6

TZora
08-01-2013, 05:38 PM
at least add kakaotalk to the options .. kakao is pretty good

Mr T Perfect
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
From my experience and i use group me as well as palringo.

Palringo is a better app as it time stamps each entry - where group me does not.

when loggin in after sleeping during battles it makes it easier to get back to your last post to catch up.

yes some of us do sleep during wars... remember people - this is a game.

mca
08-01-2013, 07:04 PM
definitely a personal fan of Kak, Palringo has proven useful but you need to load a lot of stuff, and I've personally never liked the setup of GroupMe very much.. But between CC/MW/KA I use a different app for every game. IMHO they go in that order (Kak, Pal, GM), but based on the overwhelming response favoring GM, I feel i need to take another look.

TZora
08-01-2013, 09:04 PM
groupme seems to be winning the poll but would be fun to see kakaotalk vs groupme poll :)

craftytempter
08-02-2013, 01:00 AM
LINE chat app.

Line chat is far the best and i have tested all the above ones.

Line wins every time.

dispohero
08-02-2013, 09:43 AM
LINE>Groupme>>>>>>>>>>>all the rest

Marcus Aurelius
08-02-2013, 09:53 AM
You need a "none of the above" option. They all are slow compared to Kakao talk...

Spaden
08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Groupme is the best!

TZora
08-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Groupme is the best!
we'll know that only when there's a voting between kakao and groupme. if nobody is creating a poll, i will :)

EpicNecro1
08-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Kakao is best