PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Bait!!

c00guy
07-19-2013, 06:09 AM
I was just wondering on how some super strong players deliberately have low mafia to bait others into hitting them and gain some nice passive IP and had a few questions:

1. How much mafia is bait enough? E.g. if I'm say level 80, would 380 mafia be bait enough or should it be more like 300?

2. How strong should you be to setup the bait? 2k stats per level for say a top 100 syn or better? And once you setup the bait, I'm figuring that might come down to say 1600 stats per level or sumthing?

3. How much extra passive IP can this fetch? 10k per war??

BigMoney
07-19-2013, 06:14 AM
To be honest, I attack people with 499 mafia, as I always interpret that as a sign of weakness. I feel like having extremely low mafia would be more successful at lower-ranked syndicate levels. At the top, you're probably going to be hit/scouted regardless of your number of mafia.

c00guy
07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
True, I was asking from the perspective of lesser mortals (top 100-150 syndicate) :)

Holicaholic
07-19-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't see why the number of mafia you have is relevant to wars. Unless you're talking about someone's att/def. having the max for your level would give you (obviously) the max stats, which is desirable for war. Having less or more mafia for your level has no effect on IP to my knowledge.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't see why the number of mafia you have is relevant to wars. Unless you're talking about someone's att/def. having the max for your level would give you (obviously) the max stats, which is desirable for war. Having less or more mafia for your level has no effect on IP to my knowledge.

Lolz. Think about what was posted for a second before replying?

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 06:51 AM
I was just wondering on how some super strong players deliberately have low mafia to bait others into hitting them and gain some nice passive IP and had a few questions:

1. How much mafia is bait enough? E.g. if I'm say level 80, would 380 mafia be bait enough or should it be more like 300?

2. How strong should you be to setup the bait? 2k stats per level for say a top 100 syn or better? And once you setup the bait, I'm figuring that might come down to say 1600 stats per level or sumthing?

3. How much extra passive IP can this fetch? 10k per war??

It is a worthwhile move for strong players in lower ranked syndicates. I find anywhere between 300-400 is a good range. Never calculated how much I get but it isn't that shabby (I would say 10k is fairly achievable). Though you gotta try and have a whole of syndicate strategy for this to be really effective. Doesn't work as well when you have higher ranked players with similar mafia sizes because they will taken instead of your bait.

mxz
07-19-2013, 06:58 AM
I don't see it as an effective strategy in the low levels. If you're in a good syndicate no one is hitting you due to your level and weak points; if you're in a lower syndicate no ones going to be hitting you enough, anyway.

Keep your henchmen up, the attack stat is the only one that scores you meaningful points.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:05 AM
I don't see it as an effective strategy in the low levels. If you're in a good syndicate no one is hitting you due to your level and weak points; if you're in a lower syndicate no ones going to be hitting you enough, anyway.

Keep your henchmen up, the attack stat is the only one that scores you meaningful points.

Ehh..... Spending too much time in the higher ranks. Need to take that hat off and think about the other possibilities or at least acknowledge it, not everyone spends gold to buy massive stats...

c00guy
07-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Mxz, I personally think it gets us guys in top 100-150 syndicates much more IP and like I said it's only meant for players who have super stats for their levels already (say 2x times level). Plus it would get the syn better match ups coz aggregate attack stats would be down a tad :D

Feng, nice point. I agree, I think it would take some work to have all the weaker players max mafia to 500 and super stat players get mafia down to 300-400. Just wondering if you can get to 10k just passive :rolleyes:

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Mxz, I personally think it gets us guys in top 100-150 syndicates much more IP and like I said it's only meant for players who have super stats for their levels already (say 2x times level). Plus it would get the syn better match ups coz aggregate attack stats would be down a tad :D

Feng, nice point. I agree, I think it would take some work to have all the weaker players max mafia to 500 and super stat players get mafia down to 300-400. Just wondering if you can get to 10k just passive :rolleyes:

If you do it right from a whole of mafia perspective using carefully selected 'funnel' players, yes, those guys can achieve 10k or more.

MisterIceNL
07-19-2013, 07:20 AM
If you do it right from a whole of mafia perspective using carefully selected 'funnel' players, yes, those guys can achieve 10k or more.

If you strategically go into battle the other team won't gain points with their 'funnel' players

c00guy
07-19-2013, 07:27 AM
If you strategically go into battle the other team won't gain points with their 'funnel' players

Umm sorry don't understand. You trying to say that this is an effective strategy or not? :rolleyes:

craftytempter
07-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Top 180/250 syndicate, We never bother looking at your mafia size we look for your Level as snipers. We need to pick targets with higher levels then the current crew we are snipers for. Its all about the level get a higher level then you with a weaker def then your attack ........bonus time

Armalg-the-Good
07-19-2013, 07:29 AM
It is a bad strategy. A decent scout will always be able to beat you with your hands tied behind your back that way and you turn into free points for a number of syndicate members. People post defense score and the others just avoid you. You will get a handful of points when fighting really crappy syndicates over the course of the tournament but in the end you're better off trying to make your character the best it can be.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:30 AM

Not every team is as strategic as you think at the lower levels... I have tested this strategy and it works... And yes, my attack stats are still high enough to score IP in most battles. I can hit more targets than most fully equipped members.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
It is a bad strategy. A decent scout will always be able to beat you with your hands tied behind your back that way and you turn into free points for a number of syndicate members. People post defense score and the others just avoid you. You will get a handful of points when fighting really crappy syndicates over the course of the tournament but in the end you're better off trying to make your character the best it can be.

There are always random hitters at lower level, many syndicates aren't as coordinated as many portray them to be. There are certain requirements to being a good 'bait' so if you meet those requirements, then free IP is free IP.

MisterIceNL
07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Umm sorry don't understand. You trying to say that this is an effective strategy or not? :rolleyes:

It has to do with what craftytempter just said. You have people looking for the max ip opponents. Everybody knows how this game work and what mafia members serve for.

If you have to battle a team with only level 100+ members, but of the 60 members there are 59 members with 500 mafia and there's 1 with only 380 mafia ... Then 99 out of a 100 times its a funnel player. Always make sure your syndicate uses someone with a high enough attack to test the rivals out.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:38 AM
It has to do with what craftytempter just said. You have people looking for the max ip opponents. Everybody knows how this game work and what mafia members serve for.

If you have to battle a team with only level 100+ members, but of the 60 members there are 59 members with 500 mafia and there's 1 with only 380 mafia ... Then 99 out of a 100 times its a funnel player. Always make sure your syndicate uses someone with a high enough attack to test the rivals out.

A good baiting strategy ain't going to have only 1 weak player. There will be several along with other tactics thrown in to confuse. I think the context for this strategy don't apply to syndicates where most players have massive attack stats and therefore don't have a worry about recon or targets for weaker players. But these syndicates overall are in the minority and most have to play a balancing act. It's the majority you are targeting.

MisterIceNL
07-19-2013, 07:45 AM
A good baiting strategy ain't going to have only 1 weak player. There will be several along with other tactics thrown in to confuse. I think the context for this strategy don't apply to syndicates where most players have massive attack stats and therefore don't have a worry about recon or targets for weaker players. But these syndicates overall are in the minority and most have to play a balancing act. It's the majority you are targeting.

Off course, if you get matched with FC and you see one with 450 mafia I'm not going to try it out either lol. But I can't image anyone in the Top250 (maybe more) not to understand what the deal is with mafia members. I'm in a Top25 syndicate and if I come across a level 100+ rival who doesn't have max mafia, I just know he/she did it with a reason.

Its just a tip ... If you're not a high attack member of your syndicate and you think you've spotted a weak opponent, let some try him/her out who does have a high attack.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Off course, if you get matched with FC and you see one with 450 mafia I'm not going to try it out either lol. But I can't image anyone in the Top250 (maybe more) not to understand what the deal is with mafia members. I'm in a Top25 syndicate and if I come across a level 100+ rival who doesn't have max mafia, I just know he/she did it with a reason.

Its just a tip ... If you're not a high attack member of your syndicate and you think you've spotted a weak opponent, let some try him/her out who does have a high attack.

Haha yeah. If we ever get matched against FC, we would just stop everything and watch their IPs grow. That will be more fun than anything else.

I think top 100-250 is somewhat different to top 25. Not as many gold spenders, not as much coordination, not having recons available to call on at all times, not as many weak players to think about and provide a target.

You would be surprised at how effective a well planned baiting strategy can be at the lower ranked levels. But the key is a whole of syndicate approach with careful planning.

craftytempter
07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
let the snipers pick the tragets. its simple only hit what your told to hit dont go rambo and you should be fine.
everything else is just a waste of time dropping mafia picking up mafia. forget that better things to do like a rob or two.
you get me once with tricks like that but then 59 others will avoid you like the black death

happy hunting everyone

MisterIceNL
07-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Haha yeah. If we ever get matched against FC, we would just stop everything and watch their IPs grow. That will be more fun than anything else.

I think top 100-250 is somewhat different to top 25. Not as many gold spenders, not as much coordination, not having recons available to call on at all times, not as many weak players to think about and provide a target.

You would be surprised at how effective a well planned baiting strategy can be at the lower ranked levels. But the key is a whole of syndicate approach with careful planning.

Ok, I wouldn't know what its like in Top100-250. Just wanted to share my view. If it really works you should obviously use it and I'll take back my words. Just be carefull cause you're not the only one doing it.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
let the snipers pick the tragets. its simple only hit what your told to hit dont go rambo and you should be fine.
everything else is just a waste of time dropping mafia picking up mafia. forget that better things to do like a rob or two.
you get me once with tricks like that but then 59 others will avoid you like the black death

happy hunting everyone

Of course, nothing beats having a strong attack. That is the how the strong beats the weak and the ultimate goal. But because the weak is the weak, we as mostly free players, need to use everything at our disposal to gain an advantage.

Never close your eyes to anything.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Ok, I wouldn't know what its like in Top100-250. Just wanted to share my view. If it really works you should obviously use it and I'll take back my words. Just be carefull cause you're not the only one doing it.

It was definitely interesting to hear your views on this at higher levels.

Ragmondino
07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I have 345 mafia and picked up a lot of def wins in the last war.
Stats roughly 3000 times level.

Cooler
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I do not understand why someone choose lower mafia?

Ragmondino
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM

Maybe if you had a better understanding of tactics you would.
For now you'll just have to be a sheep following orders.

Feng1234
07-19-2013, 04:58 PM

There a number of reasons primarily to avoid getting hit by stronger players. As your mafia size goes down, you become stronger relative to the mafia bracket (search for nicholost theory) you are in due to using less but stronger weapons. Generally speaking, lower mafia size players are not as strong as full mafia size members so you can hide better amongst all the sheeps. This will allow you to no bank more effectively thus getting stronger in peace. Coupled with camping, this can be an effective strategy.

The other reason could be working as bait in syndicate wars.