PDA

View Full Version : Event burnout- questions for other faction leaders

stealyourface
06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I have been the leader of a faction since day one, and we have grown into a strong and competitive group, we've now been in the top 100 for the last 3 events and have done so hacker free and with a diverse set of good people including a few high school and college students that do not spend a dime on the game but are extremely dedicated to our group.

After this most recent event I decided to step down as leader as the toll of these events to remain competitive is becoming more work than it is worth, I can no longer commit to lead that effort for the cost it has on my personal and professional life (frequency of events/events running into work week/monetary cost as scores push up/continuous battling). This was an extremely difficult message to deliver to my group because I genuinely care for many of the people here, and do not want to turn my back on them.

The response I received from many was that they were feeling the same way I was (I had two cash out their bases after this event), and would prefer to scale back the efforts and remain together, rather than continuing to try to push for that next tier. This has me reconsidering what I wanted to do, I have a sentimental value in this group as it has been a focus of mine for the last 7 months of my life...I've met some great people from all around the world...so it pains me to leave, but I am totally burnt out on the events.

I am considering pivoting the direction of the faction to be less event focused. Either turning into a pure social faction to take advantage of the faction bonus and the comrade of the team, or change our battle strategies to be less intense, like maybe a Sat/Sun only and let our rank fall wherever it does and not worry about it.

One of my primary considerations is, though the events have reached a burnout stage for me, the events themselves are also part of what brings us together and where many of our memories lie. So I am concerned that even though it sounds like a potential solution, in practice it may not be as exciting when we are at event time and not battling together as hard as we've been in the past. If I make this shift in faction culture, it is going to be hard to change back if it doesn't work out.

So I am seeking advisement from leaders in other groups that maybe have gone through a similar set of circumstances and have gone from competitive to less competitive. Or members of groups that have a type of culture that is one of more social or less intensive in events, what are some things you do and how has this worked out? Any advisement would be appreciated so I can make the best decision for my team.

And also if you are in a top group with a few openings, PM me and we can discuss cultural fit to see if I can offer an option to some of the scorers in my group that still want to compete and want to find another group to move to if we become less event focused :)

SGT Rud
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
We started top 400 in brazil, and have moved places up continously through each event. We finished top 500 in Madagascar. We have a bunch of faction members feeling the same. They are giving less and less effort into WD. Everyone is more focused on LTQ. We are also experiencing internal turbulance. Members are beginning to bicker and argue over donations because to the donation log, and which bonus we should get next. Me, as the leader, even if I say this is the bonus, they begin to bicker over donations again. We have had two members leave over it. Everyone is getting burnt out. We need more time between WD events. Even if it is more events that are not faction driven, like crate or boss.

I would run an internal poll on what everyone wants to do. If they want to camp for the events or slow down, they can. If they want to play hard, let them as well, but don't hold them back. I have had a few players want to leave voluntarily. I have helped set them up with other factions of equal or greater WD ranking through here. (Thank you to the leaders who helped me - you know who you are.) You could try to do something like that, depending on how your factions members feel.

Mongo
06-13-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure I can offer much advice, but I want to offer support and reassure you this happens to other groups/leaders. Our faction has never reached the heights as yours, we have never been below 250, as high as 111. Our core met by pure coincidence in Brazil with a less than talented leader, and out of that strange beginning and near coup that followed I was appointed as leader. I have tried to pass the baton but never get very far, and the ties that we have built over time plus satisfaction in occasionally executing our gameplan is what keeps me around.

What I don't fully understand and what I think is a sign of "system" that needs fixing is the catastrophic dumping. In many instances it comes from our strongest players, ie someone pushes too hard, has a crisis moment, I suspect often facilitated by the personal/professional pressures you've described, and then dumps the game cold turkey, cleans out their base and disappears. Somewhere must exist a healthier transition.

One idea I've suggested but never seen any encouragement on is some variation in the events to create different intensity/reward scenarios. One example would be tiered events, by strength, past record, gold spending (yes lock in the gold that can be used) or ? Also it would make sense to me to build retirement, or at least rest, into the equation, ie what motivates the same high end teams to keep bashing on one another to end up in the same order is beyond me.

I will say that I have found the game to be an incredible window to life, that includes aspects good, evil, and everywhere in between. Perhaps this is its true value, and if so an element of pain is not only necessary but even desirable.

So thanks for saying what at least some of us are feeling, and maybe someday the game will evolve in response to some of these issues.

stealyourface
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys, please understand I am not looking to turn this into a tread that leads into suggestions to what Gree should do, there has been plenty of discussion about that over the months and not much change, so I am really looking for advisement on how other groups work within the current system to keep from burning out.

Max Power
06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Becomming a common theme these days.

I can tell you that I enjoy the banter with a number of the guys in the many factions I am in, but none of em are coming to my funeral. It's nice people with game handles in far away places and we shouldn't get so caught up in confusing this with real family and friends. JMO, obviously and I am sure some people feel different.

Back to the issue, I think Gree is getting to the point of diminishing returns with all these events. I can tell you by far that the most fun I have in WD is with my factions that say no spending if you don't want, no pressure. Just a bunch of guys throwing haymakers and getting whatever final prize comes our way. That is way more fun than trying to get the next tier, trying to lure gold spenders from other factions, etc. People self-impose ridiculous goals on themselves in these events, thinking that you should always be improving. No. That's exactly what Gree wants. Instead of always improving, you should always be having fun. That's what games are for.

DeT Bob
06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
we decided not to grow anymore and stay max 40 members. but we know each other, participate regularly and have a lot of fun. fun is the most important thing. we consider ourselves a top500 faction but if we won´t achieve this goal next time: so what?

teamleader offered to retire and step back too but in fact it doesn´t matter how is technically the teamleader as we act together. we vote about next bonuses and so on.

we even think about a forum meeting. noone wants to get a professional mw-player and we all respect that we have a real life. if someone can´t participate for any reason, he/she cant. fullstopp.

stealyourface
06-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Yep, all points well taken, exactly what I am trying to sort through.

I can tell you that I enjoy the banter with a number of the guys in the many factions I am in, but none of em are coming to my funeral. It's nice people with game handles in far away places and we shouldn't get so caught up in confusing this with real family and friends. JMO, obviously and I am sure some people feel different.

Back to the issue, I think Gree is getting to the point of diminishing returns with all these events. I can tell you by far that the most fun I have in WD is with may factions that say no spending if you don't want, no pressure. Just a bunch of guys throwing haymakers and getting whatever final prize comes our way. That is way more fun than trying to get the next tier, trying to lure gold spenders from other factions, etc. people self-impose ridiculous goals on themselves in these events, thinking that you should always be improving. No. That's exactly what Gree wants. Instead of always inproving, you should always be having fun. That's what games are for.

Tosken
06-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Your post catched my interest. I normally do not respond to posts, but this one deserve that.

I do understand you 100%. I was in the same situation. What I did was that I left the faction, created my own, started from scratch and recruted only low rated players (knowlegde, A/D, Insight of the game etc etc). The purpose was simple, learn others to master the game including Battle strategy, becoming stronger and what to do to Climb "the hiarchy". That gives a different feeling over many Dimensions. One: You feel that you master leadership, Two: You see other players develop and achieving more, Three: teaming is stronger since it is tied to Learning and developing and NOT ranking, donations and internal Battle of who did what, Four: You can choose your self how much you want to be involved. So for me it is rewarding to see a player at Level 10ish With a/d around 5K in first WD event, only loosing and coming back in the NeXT one at Level 30, a/d around 30K and scoring 10K without spending gold. I am still personally holding us withing top1500/1000, but I am less and less needed to win Battles. Yes we loose some, and sometimes take a hell of a beating, but then members come together, understand and follow the gameplan discussed and agreed and they win and Reading comments after the Battle. That does not make you feel burned out. So that is my advice to you and how I tackled the same thing. I have the luxurery to be involved then I feel for it and the members Accept that I can be absent for a day. Then you get the best from game and from the rest of your life.

Burnt
06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
...but I am totally burnt out on the events.

Amen brotha!

Seriously though, we go through that every event cycle. Now we rotate faction leadership and are trying to delegate more tasks to people. All we try to do is continually improve. Sometimes we are successful, sometimes we are not. It is alot of work to stay competitive, but in the end it's just a game. Bottom line, it sounds like you do need to step back, reassess and see if you can carve out some enjoyment spending less time on this game. Did I mention it was *just* a game?

Jhenry02
06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
And it's up and down the board. There are multiple top 10 and 25's that feel the same way.

jjm521
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
We're going to alternate from basically gold free/stress free one war, to going all out the next. Yes, 4 day weekend wars every 3 weeks is just stupid but its up to the factions not to take each of them so seriously. If every 6 weeks is still too much, just do one serious war followed by 2 more casual ones. You dont have to go all out every war. If you do, you WILL burn out

Gringo
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
We placed 16th in Madagascar, im currently asking all members for there views on the next event.
I have burnout from Madagascar, four of us getting over a million wd points are sitting this one out!
No rushing home from work on monday for the final push. To much to often imo!

People's Front of Judea G
06-13-2013, 02:43 PM
We consistently placed top 50 in every event since Brazil, where we placed top 100. Enough. After Madagascar several of us have taken a break from the faction (including me) because Gree's relentless schedule is just way too much. A game that should be fun and stress release has become work and stressful because Gree just ramp and ramp the schedule to the point of burnout. So, time to call it quits and just play as an individual rather than pound the Gree treadmill.

GreenwichKid
06-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Yup I've been thinking the same for a while, we're smaller but have been everything from T1000 T500 and now T750, And yup burn out is what alot of the guys are feeling. The problem with the event is Gree are really only interested in how earning as much as they can as quickly as they can, in the same way a drug dealer isn't really interested in anything other than extracting as much from you as they can until the next addict comes along.

stealyourface
06-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it sounds like many of you are in the same boat. Alternate wars and rotate leadership are two items I heard to consider.

Anyone in a competitive group that went totally casual, playing for 750 or 500 and just working toward upgrading all your bonuses/socializing?

DuncanBAF
06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you for the thread. Just been pointed to it by one of my faction and so much is ringing bells. Having started BAF with a good bunch of round the world players from all walks of life and differing ages, the core are now game fatigued and have all independently expressed our thoughts and need to step down, out or delete the game completely. We are now feeling a weight lift through our group therapy and hopefully will stay together as we decide what our game (yes game) play will be from now. Real life of course takes precedence over this escapism but when this game becomes an influence over our lives then yes recognising the addiction is the first step to resolving. The count up of money spent is shocking as an individual and when totalled is mind numbing. Enough is enough so fee play or no play when real life has a spare moment to fill while away an hour during our often busy work and home life weeks.Any more experiences or even thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I with others take back our lives...

stealyourface
06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks, sounds like my exact situation.

Thank you for the thread. Just been pointed to it by one of my faction and so much is ringing bells. Having started BAF with a good bunch of round the world players from all walks of life and differing ages, the core are now game fatigued and have all independently expressed our thoughts and need to step down, out or delete the game completely. We are now feeling a weight lift through our group therapy and hopefully will stay together as we decide what our game (yes game) play will be from now. Real life of course takes precedence over this escapism but when this game becomes an influence over our lives then yes recognising the addiction is the first step to resolving. The count up of money spent is shocking as an individual and when totalled is mind numbing. Enough is enough so fee play or no play when real life has a spare moment to fill while away an hour during our often busy work and home life weeks.Any more experiences or even thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I with others take back our lives...

Ferr
06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Interesting thread. Our faction has a single predominant goal which is to beat pun. This is what holds us together, this is what makes us stronger every event. I guess that ambition comes with the second place much stronger than with any other position. I seriously do not know what happens if that goal would be reached. We will organise a party for sure but i must say upfront defending the nr 1 position sounds much less appealing than becoming nr 1. Perhaps I am wrong though considering the extrreme measures pun is taking to keep us at bay ;)
Another thing is the WD event burnout itself (too frequent and too long). Dont worry about that, it will kill itself this way.

Wai
06-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Burnout and therefore constant replacement also occurs right at the top.

This game will be a study one day for future game development on the human aspects.

Burnout is very real and quite seriously ppl need to be very careful.

I have already commenced alternate battles. I have gained massively both personally and in game. What have I lost by doing that? The only thing I have lost is the burnout.

Captnmorgan
06-13-2013, 04:52 PM
My faction is working towards becoming more social. Instead of one right after the other battles we put 30 min to an hour in between each so that we have time to recoup. We started with kicking people if they didnt get enough points or didnt play but now its become more of helping them build up and learn the game, learn how the system works and just have fun. We went from top 250 to top 750 when 10 of our biggest players left.

At the end of the day its only a game and games are meant to be fun no stressing and drain the bank account.

Hupernikomen
06-13-2013, 07:06 PM
We are starting a gold/gold free rotation too. If you have someone that wants to sit out a war and be dl for a top 250 faction let me know. If i have a heavy gold user not wanting to go free i plan on loaning them out for poland. The war after we will push to beat our previous best of 206th. If we Succeed we will have a top 400 followed by a top 150. (I hope). I love the idea of six weeks of growth and recovery before going all out again.

Burnt
06-13-2013, 08:29 PM
So does all this mean I'm the poster child for Gree?

06-14-2013, 02:18 AM
The remedy for event burnout is simple - don't compete. Get off the treadmill. Quit your factions. Get back to a solo game on your schedule. What do faction tournaments get you, really, at the end of the day? Yes cameraderie, but also expectations, hassle and COST - in time and money. Yes factions give you boosts, but really - are they worth it? For every boost you get, someone else got a much bigger one - so its keeping up with the Joneses and you're on a vicious cycle. And Gree know that, they quite literally bank on it. They want you on that adrenalin rush when your judgement is compromised and next thing you know you've bought 10 vaults of gold to keep up. Opt out of the rat race. I quit my faction and still seem to be able to play quite happily - just no WD battles, which are no great loss. It's a game, not a job.

procsyzarc
06-14-2013, 03:06 AM

Agree 100%. I have seen so many people say they only play because the friends they have in the games but honestly except in the very rare situation and even those end badly most of the time (billionare thread for example...if you don't know what that means keep moving because I won't go into detail) you will never meet those of us from these games so if you are spending more than you can afford in the name of friendship....please stop and do yourself a favour.

06-14-2013, 03:12 AM
And for what? Bragging rights? I mean, really??

HGF69
06-14-2013, 05:55 AM
I'm looking for two new recruits

Captain B
06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Speaking as a faction leader who has tried to maintain player interest & development through sharing info, running competitions etc you eventually run out of creative 'juice' and the time it consumes is definitely eating in to my personal life.
Players will come and go however virtually none if them in my experience now want the burden faction leadership. There is no other cure for this one than leaving the faction you put so much effort into. We are exploring what role officers should take to share some burden to ease this side.
As for strategy we currently 'YoYo' some active events Top 600, some passive where we placed somewhere around
1,200th.
It would really help if there was an event free week where I could reintroduce myself to the family, with no pressure to answer question on events, post results or have to resolve problems without quitting.

Team DILLIGAF 158 680 577
Relaxed team of light gold & free players,
Free spots for active, social, experienced players
Ideally European or Asia pacific geography

Adm.J
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Between all of the hacker nonsense and the coming burnout, we just sat the last one out completely. It was nice. As an added bonus, it brought out who really was on board with us working together as a team. Several members decided they wanted to do their own thing and declared anyway. They are no longer with us.

The next one I think we will go all out, as much as we can without gold anyway, and we will place where we place. Top 1000 would be nice, but we are more than happy with 1500. We pushed for 750 once, and after looking at how much some members spent on gold, I won't be a part of that again. By now you should have a rather concsistent battle plan that the majority of your members know. Do what you do to keep from burning out, and just let everyone play at the pace they are comfortable with. Just be open about what you are doing so they don't think you are abandoning them. Or don't tell them and see who picks up your slack. I did that for Columbia. I'd participate in battles, but didn't communicate at all. It was a bit of an eye opener.

Jlc
06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I think in our faction we enjoy the chatting and helping lower level team mates get better, than the actual war. We've been 500 to 750 since the beginning, but have not bought gold to improve those numbers. However, we do keep posting personal and faction bests, and have combined three faction, the Golden Horde, the Fundamentalists and Nelson's Victory and we move among them based on our desire to be more competitive or just wanting to take some time off (have you guys heard of the concept of a family vacation without a phone or wi Fi?). These is my recruiting pitch:

«««««ATTENTION!!!»»»»» Have you ever hidden your device under the table at Christmas Dinner? Have you ever hidden your device in your Hymns Book? Do you velcro your device to your Steering Wheel? Did you stop texting while driving so you can play while driving? Have you ever burned dinner? Do you find yourself dismissing phone calls? Do you pound Expresso before a battle? Have you found yourself hiding in a bathroom stall lately? Do you go to the bathroom.....again. (and find you forgot your second piece)? .Have you ever found yourself rigging a Treehouse for WiFi because your other half wont let you in the house cause you spent too much on Gold? (gold not required- but welcome ofcourse) Do you have notepads with weird names and numbers stashed all around the House, the Car, and Work? If you answered YES to any of these questions you might be a Daily Player for NV!! If you answered YES to ALL of these questions..... Seek Professional help! Then come join Nelson's Victory where there are people in need of professional counsel just like you... You have a Home but no meds!!! Nelson's Victory #228 990 569

narsly
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Gree(dy) is not burning you out with events.. YOU are burning yourself out.. Play at your own pace ;)

DME
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Gree(dy) is not burning you out with events.. YOU are burning yourself out.. Play at your own pace ;)

Maybe not, but they are being rather irresponsible and short sighted with their scheduling.
If they burn those golden geese too badly then those geese will stop laying golden eggs.

Vegaman
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Back to the issue, I think Gree is getting to the point of diminishing returns with all these events. I can tell you by far that the most fun I have in WD is with my factions that say no spending if you don't want, no pressure. Just a bunch of guys throwing haymakers and getting whatever final prize comes our way. That is way more fun than trying to get the next tier, trying to lure gold spenders from other factions, etc. People self-impose ridiculous goals on themselves in these events, thinking that you should always be improving. No. That's exactly what Gree wants. Instead of always improving, you should always be having fun. That's what games are for.

++++1😃 Could not have said it better myself. We started at 84th Brazil and after Greenland could see the writing on the wall. Ask anyone in a bar or at work who is number 1 faction in modern war and they'll say Modern What???

We have a 54 member faction, all but 9 bonuses and don't spend anymore. We have a great social chat room set up and its now more a club. Still great escapism but without the stress and weird rules etc. Fun is the name of the game with a great bonus package.

mgriss
06-14-2013, 01:27 PM
We're reaching a bit of a tipping point too... we've always been a mostly free player faction but the time commitment from everyone and the spending from a few good friends is starting to unbalance things... we're on the verge of either needing needing more rules and higher turnover or needing to stop caring about WD entirely... don't really have any advice but wanted to stand in solidarity.

DETHBALLZ
06-14-2013, 07:30 PM
So weird to come and check the forum after not doing so for like a month and to see so many to through what I myself went through today. After the first war I was named leader, bc our old leader just had a daughter born. Was surprised they made me leader bc I was only on the team for 2-3 weeks. We placed top 250 for every war till I think it was china. It was a group decision with the super short break time and the holiday weekend. After this we never fell out of the top 500, but never really broke 400. After the last war there was a lot of bickering and a lot of talk. Then the new update came out and others realized who was helping and who wasn't. Had one of my best players tell me he was done. Was spending too much money and time to have to settle for less bc others weren't showing up. Joined a top 50 faction and I wished him well.

Then he messages me back asking if I wanted in. I've been offered the chances before but thought I owed my all to the team that elected me leader. So I stayed instead of leaving, but this time either the offer was too good, or I just wanted to step down from all the work and craziness that comes with being a leader. Constantly watching what everyone is doing. Settling arguments between members. Trying to find recruits when all there seems to be are douches that end up wasting your time. I just wanted to step down, play my role and why not for a top 50 team? Already enjoying the added bonuses and killing in this pvp event.

Although I already miss my old team and will still be wanting to do some recruiting or planning war times, I needed the break badly. I can always go back tho, left on good terms. And already received many posts thanking me for the work and keeping the team together. Just hope they can keep it going. I owe everything to that faction. My numbers in stats nearly quadrupled since the beginning and made some good friends. I thank them all for everything.

If you want in to a great faction, apply to the NUCLEAR BOMBS 881991363 TOP 500 FACTION LOOKING TO BREAK INTO THE TOP 400. Good luck team

candyson
06-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Speaking for the cool kids, most of us would have quit months ago if it wasn't for each other and the great times that we have. We participate in World Domination. Our placing doesn't matter, top 1500, 1000, 750, or even 500 in Poland, it doesn't matter. We play to have a great time. Normally we have lengthy conversations going on while war is going on, many that have nothing to do with the game.

Speaking for myself, I have found myself enjoying world domination less and less each time. I only play in it to help my faction. I found myself in Madagascar not trying to score 25 to 30 thousand points, but instead to help my teammates score points at the cost of mine. I ended up with about 15k points, or about 10k less than I scored in Columbia. I will never spend another penny on this game. I find better entertainment trying to raise my income as high as I can get it. I had a lot more fun playing hours on end for the first Tatra Outpost and getting it within the first 24 hours than spending 24 hours constantly pressing attack, wait 25 minutes, repeat.

JustSomeDude
06-15-2013, 06:18 AM
You can have a live, up to the minute ranking for your latest cash grab but 5 days later there's no official ranking for Madagascar? WTF? With your latest cash grab update you've proven that you have easy access to the information, why is it not posted? This query is posted here cause the cash-grab overlords won't let a new account open a new thread.

Are you taking so long because you need to decide which of the hacker factions have spent enough gold to get a pass?