PDA

View Full Version : Is this rival's list algorithm permanent?

Lonestoner
06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Just wondering if you guys were planning on keeping the rivals list the way it is now. I remember seeing a thread in the past about how it was "fixed", but that's far from the truth.

When I'm level 21 with 16 alliance and am getting attacked by same level players with 150+ alliance multiple times in the same day, something's wrong. There's absolutely no reason that should happen. Obviously with 10x my alliance, they're going to be stronger. Sometimes, a lot stronger. For them to be able to see me on the list and come rob me is just ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that my rival's list remains unaffected, showing me players ranging from 10-25 allies (how it should be) instead of showing me 2-175 allies (what others apparently see, give or take).

If the reason behind widening the alliance range is to increase the number of opponents available to you, you may want to try something else, since my rivals have stayed the same through the entire process (see above). This provides no new rivals for me, but adds me to much stronger player's lists. How does this even begin to make sense?

What other reason could there be for changing it other than the reason in the paragraph above? This is getting really annoying, and hopefully someone from the staff can shed some light on the situation.

You can keep your comments about getting stronger and adding more alliance to yourself, as that is completely irrelevant to the problem at hand.

DME
06-09-2013, 01:38 PM
It makes perfect sense to me. Why should having less allies make you invisible to people with more allies?
This is a war game.

Jhenry02
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Wow how is this difficult?
Level 21 CAN bring 105 allies to battle and thusly 420 units into battle.
If you are bringing 16 allies and 65 units.
So that's like 5-6x your allies not 10; but I'll allow for exaggeration.

That isn't Gree's fault. They removed the ability to use ally counts to hide in the whale territory. I'm over level 200 and I only have 320 allies. It's my choice.

HunterKiller
06-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah, use your ally count as a tactical advantage, either get it to 500 so you are always as strong as your level allows, or if you are very strong you can try reduce your allies a bit to make a trap for other players in WD and score a lot of defensive wins.

Lonestoner
06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
It makes perfect sense to me. Why should having less allies make you invisible to people with more allies?
This is a war game.

That is complete nonsense. That's basically like saying, "Why have any pvp boundaries or brackets at all?". Have you ever played a game before with pvp in it? There is always some sort of restriction, usually based upon level. In this certain situation, alliance count defines your strength more than your level, and therefore should be bracketed how it used to be.

That isn't Gree's fault. They removed the ability to use ally counts to hide in the whale territory. I'm over level 200 and I only have 320 allies. It's my choice.

For that particular situation (hiding at lower mafia at high levels), I still don't fully understand them making this decision. Why try to pigeon-hole players into having 500 alliance? What if some players leveled quickly and don't have the items to fill out 500 allies? Screw them, I guess, since they didn't want to play exactly the way Gree thinks they should have, but don't bother to explain anywhere.

My situation is completely different though. I am adding alliance members as I get items for them to use. I'm not "hiding" from anyone. To add hundreds of alliance just to have them as a placeholder for when I actually do get items for them to use is just plain stupid. To be forced into doing this is just as ridiculous. Basically, if you don't have max items for your max alliance at your level, you're screwed. There are plenty of targets my level, with similar alliance for me to beat (since that's all I see on my rival's list). I'm sure there are plenty of targets for everyone if you split the brackets up the way they used to be; the sensible way.

Yeah, use your ally count as a tactical advantage, either get it to 500 so you are always as strong as your level allows, or if you are very strong you can try reduce your allies a bit to make a trap for other players in WD and score a lot of defensive wins.

Not what I'm doing at all, as you can see from my last paragraph above your quote. Also not in a faction, so not even considering the impact this would have on wars.

DME
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
That is complete nonsense. That's basically like saying, "Why have any pvp boundaries or brackets at all?". Have you ever played a game before with pvp in it? There is always some sort of restriction, usually based upon level. In this certain situation, alliance count defines your strength more than your level, and therefore should be bracketed how it used to be.

Not at all.
Level based boundaries make sense due to the fact that you can't lower your level.
In other games you can have players who have just entered a level bracket and they will be comparatively weak to those sitting at the top of a level bracket. The person at the top of the level bracket can still attack the player that has just entered the bracket though. It's essentially the same principal, but here you can boost that ally count and strength a lot faster than you can in other games if you choose to.

I am a cow
06-09-2013, 05:32 PM
get your alliance to max and get over with it. It's that easy. I mean I see people who are level 200 pounding me, I don't care my defnse is now high and that is all I care about not my attack defnse is the key to the game

Golf4life
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
agree with this guy...

Really, i can't believe you made this thread, it is pretty pathetic.

Get your allies up and quit complaining.

The way the algorithm is now is more similar to real life than before. The way it is now makes perfect sense.

I am guessing you are one of the generation of "but why do i have to work for what i want? why can't it just be given to me instantaneously, like the internet?"

Perilous
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Should be based on level regardless of how many allies you have. Shouldn't be able to hang around level 21 with two allies and only be attacked by other players with two allies. Don't like it increase your allies.

Lonestoner
06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
it is pretty pathetic.

The way the algorithm is now is more similar to real life than before.

Calling someone's thread pathetic then comparing a video game to real life. Ironic.

I am guessing you are one of the generation of "but what do i have to work for what i want?"

Your english is impeccable, good sir. I'm one of the generation that doesn't understand your ramblings, that's for sure.

It's much easier to tell someone to quit complaining and raise mafia than to come up with a legitimate reason to support your argument, isn't it?

Bottom line is, if you're unaffected by the way the list is now, you aren't going to see it my way. Who doesn't like preying on the weak? I'm sure all of you attack players much lower alliance than you, meaning much weaker than you. Understandable.

So why is it that I can't see the same people that can see me? I don't see people over 25 or 26 allies currently, but people with almost 200 can see me. That makes perfect sense too, right?

I could care less what level somebody is, if they're similar alliance to me. Level brackets mean absolutely nothing after level 100, since you can use max allies. Under level 100, each level difference only means 5 usable allies plus/minus, which is minor. I'm talking about people that have over 100 more allies than me. You guys don't seem to get the difference that makes, for some reason. Obviously, if I was at 500, I wouldn't care much about it either, as I was unaffected by it. That isn't the case though.

I would much rather be attacked by someone 100 levels higher with the same alliance, than attacked by someone the same level with 100 more alliance. Which is more likely to have the advantage?

It would be one thing if you guys didn't have any input on it since you obviously enjoy it the way it is now. It's completely ridiculous to act like my thread is senseless and baseless though. If you actually read what I posted above, it's pretty clear there's an issue here.

Games without balance and a somewhat level playing field typically don't last. You can already gain a huge advantage on here just by spending real money on the game. Why make it that much harder for free low level players to compete?

Should be based on level regardless of how many allies you have. Shouldn't be able to hang around level 21 with two allies and only be attacked by other players with two allies. Don't like it increase your allies.

I disagree with the first part. I think there should be some allowable difference in allies, just not such a drastic difference where someone with 168 allies can attack me while I have 16. Maybe have the bracket increase as level increases. I completely agree that you shouldn't be able to hide at 2 allies as well, which is not what I'm doing. I'm adding allies as I'm getting items for them, which is the way the game was intended. Again, it doesn't make sense to add allies when they won't have any items to use.

DME
06-09-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't get what's imbalanced about this. The only thing that is stopping you from getting more allies is you. You are the one creating the imbalance.

Lonestoner
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't get what's imbalanced about this. The only thing that is stopping you from getting more allies is you. You are the one creating the imbalance.

Why would I add more allies when it isn't going to change my stats much at all? The thing that's stopping me from adding allies is the fact that they won't be using any items, or they'll be using 2/2 items or the equivalent, which are basically useless. I'm capped on items right now for the allies I have. What is hard to understand about that? I add allies as I get items for them.

This still does not change the fact that people that have 100 more allies than me can see me, and that's incorrect. Of course if I had the items, I'd have the allies to use them.

The problem lies in the range of the bracket, not the bracket itself. I'd be fine with people that have 20 more allies being able to see me. That's equivalent to 80 more items used, and I'd still have a fighting chance if I had fairly strong items. I'd also be able to see people with 20 allies lower, so if I was weak, I'd be able to prey on them. Having someone with 100 more usable allies then I have equates to 400 more items, and that's where I don't stand a chance at all. All I'm asking for is a chance to win, and with the current bracket the way it is, there are some opponents that I truly have no chance of winning against. I can accept losing to someone who spends money on the game, as I do not, and I fully believe they should have an advantage, but having an advantage based solely on a faulty game algorithm is unacceptable.

Golf4life
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
sorry about the grammar/diction mess up, that is definitely unlike me. I am pretty sure the rest of the comment was coherent so I don't really understand your 'ramblings' statement.

Just like it is your perogative (sp?) and an odd one at that to only have 21 allies at your level, it is everyone else's perogative to have the max allies in their level.

When you get over level 100, or even if you defense is high enough, you can start playing games with your allies. The ENTIRE point of the ally cap per level was to give lower level players a chance to raise their stats before going up against bigger players.

you should definitely be able to see other players who are attacking you at your level. I don't know how much research you have done on it, but if i look through my rivals list over the course of an hour, it will change drastically.

Right now i am a level 159. Sometimes my rivals list displays rivals from levels 154-165 with ally ranges from 20-4000. The next refresh will change my rival list to all rivals with ally ranges between 480-520 and levels all the way down to 80 and all the way up to 250.

that is the name of the game as it should be.

If a superpower can attack a third world country, why shouldnt someone who is utilizing the max allies per their level (as every player below 100 should, still don't get why you just don't raise your allies)?

Golf4life
06-09-2013, 09:01 PM
ok so at this point it sounds like you simply leveled to fast and didn't understand that.

The bracket is fine and as someone stated before, the only reason the ally thing is an issue for you is because YOU have made it an issue.

Get more allies, start buying 600 dollar scouts to fill the gap, they will be replaced when you get stronger units.

also, i would suggest not leveling up since you will just encounter stronger and stronger players.
Why would I add more allies when it isn't going to change my stats much at all? The thing that's stopping me from adding allies is the fact that they won't be using any items, or they'll be using 2/2 items or the equivalent, which are basically useless. I'm capped on items right now for the allies I have. What is hard to understand about that? I add allies as I get items for them.

This still does not change the fact that people that have 100 more allies than me can see me, and that's incorrect. Of course if I had the items, I'd have the allies to use them.

The problem lies in the range of the bracket, not the bracket itself. I'd be fine with people that have 20 more allies being able to see me. That's equivalent to 80 more items used, and I'd still have a fighting chance if I had fairly strong items. I'd also be able to see people with 20 allies lower, so if I was weak, I'd be able to prey on them. Having someone with 100 more usable allies then I have equates to 400 more items, and that's where I don't stand a chance at all. All I'm asking for is a chance to win, and with the current bracket the way it is, there are some opponents that I truly have no chance of winning against. I can accept losing to someone who spends money on the game, as I do not, and I fully believe they should have an advantage, but having an advantage based solely on a faulty game algorithm is unacceptable.

DME
06-09-2013, 09:17 PM

The game logic isn't what's faulty here, it is your logic that is.
This is essentially the equivalent of you being at the entry level of a tier compared to somebody at the end level of a tier group in other games. They will be considerably stronger, yet still be able to attack you, as they are within the same group.

Golf4life
06-09-2013, 09:21 PM
The game logic isn't what's faulty here, it is your logic that is.

yup

10 characters

mxz
06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Gree is doing their best to take strategy out of the game. I actually sent in a ticket asking about the same thing - if this was permanent and the response, I kid you not, was to buy gold units to get a stronger defense. :rolleyes:

Lonestoner
06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Since the general consensus is to max out your allies no matter if you have items to fill them out or not, I guess that's the right way to do it then?!?!

An easy fix would be to slim down the size of the brackets (or tiers). Especially at lower levels, this wouldn't affect those with higher alliance amounts adversely, and it would help the lower end of the tier such as myself not have a hard time.

I'll go ahead and assume since no staff has given this any attention (and due to mxz's support response), that it will be staying this way, so to continue the discussion would just be beating a dead horse.

Thanks for all the response. ;)

Golf4life
06-10-2013, 04:27 PM
An easy fix would be to [...]

again, there isn't a fix needed because this isn't a problem. it seems you are the ONLY one with this 'issue'

Zach3432
06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm level 94 with 260 allies and see people with 10,000 allies on my list. They can attack me all they want. I'll win some, I'll loose some but I'm not going to over vault and collect on time. Issue solved.

a4194394
06-10-2013, 05:48 PM
there are two algorithms on rival list, while whichever account using which seems by random and unable to change: one is mostly you can only see similar numbers of allies, another is regardless of allies, 80% of rivals in your list has higher stats than you. You are probably attacked by people have 2nd algorithm and it's common that you are in their rest 20%.