PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't watch reality TV

Bravo Zulu
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
I have never watched a reality TV show. I could always tell by the advertisements that I wouldn't like them. Pitting people against other people, on purpose. But it happens here voluntarily. I never intended to post to this forum. The first few times were to get questions answered, and I received some very good natured teasing about my newbie questions. As things began to get heated, I thought naively that although I was a relative newcomer I could contribute because I've now been playing the game itself for over a year. This forum has evolved into Survivor, when I used to think it was more like Gilligan's Island- where everyone working together for a common goal. To have a good time playing the game.

There are still a few players I admire, and I like reading their posts. Great suggestions, good senses of humor. But I have to wade through pages of uncivilized, impolite, and generally nasty comments. Infighting, backbiting, and one accusation after the next. I don't mean talking smack, I don't mean the complaints- I mean the downright nastiness... It tells me something that I am so appalled- after all, I work in a prison. Even they are better behaved.

Most of those people whose threads I had enjoyed reading have been noticeably absent for a long time now. At first I was hoping they would come back, but now I know why they don't- and why I see fewer and fewer posts from some others I have communicated with on several occasions that were helpful and seemingly fun people.I have no problems with the game. But I know that some have some very real problems that really should be addressed. I would love to voice my support for those players, but lately even that gets drowned out in some of the most incredulous rhetoric I have ever read. Yep, that's civilized code for dumb BS.

Forum buddies- feel free to PM me. Your suggestions and insights have made the game more enjoyable. I really understood today, in a clear way, that I have a choice. I thought I could ignore what has been happening- just don't feed the trolls. But I realized that what was really bugging me was that I don't want to watch people treat each other with with such disrespect. Real life has enough of that, and I'm unwilling to purposefully let that nonsense intrude on my fun. I don't like mean and rude people, especially ones who hide behind an internet connection to do it.

I'm simply going to keep playing my game but turn the TV off now. Many, many thanks to those of you that tried, are trying, and much respect to those who continue to try.

lemonhaze
05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
I have never watched a reality TV show. I could always tell by the advertisements that I wouldn't like them. Pitting people against other people, on purpose. But it happens here voluntarily. I never intended to post to this forum. The first few times were to get questions answered, and I received some very good natured teasing about my newbie questions. As things began to get heated, I thought naively that although I was a relative newcomer I could contribute because I've now been playing the game itself for over a year. This forum has evolved into Survivor, when I used to think it was more like Gilligan's Island- where everyone working together for a common goal. To have a good time playing the game.

There are still a few players I admire, and I like reading their posts. Great suggestions, good senses of humor. But I have to wade through pages of uncivilized, impolite, and generally nasty comments. Infighting, backbiting, and one accusation after the next. I don't mean talking smack, I don't mean the complaints- I mean the downright nastiness... It tells me something that I am so appalled- after all, I work in a prison. Even they are better behaved.

Most of those people whose threads I had enjoyed reading have been noticeably absent for a long time now. At first I was hoping they would come back, but now I know why they don't- and why I see fewer and fewer posts from some others I have communicated with on several occasions that were helpful and seemingly fun people.I have no problems with the game. But I know that some have some very real problems that really should be addressed. I would love to voice my support for those players, but lately even that gets drowned out in some of the most incredulous rhetoric I have ever read. Yep, that's civilized code for dumb BS.

Forum buddies- feel free to PM me. Your suggestions and insights have made the game more enjoyable. I really understood today, in a clear way, that I have a choice. I thought I could ignore what has been happening- just don't feed the trolls. But I realized that what was really bugging me was that I don't want to watch people treat each other with with such disrespect. Real life has enough of that, and I'm unwilling to purposefully let that nonsense intrude on my fun. I don't like mean and rude people, especially ones who hide behind an internet connection to do it.

I'm simply going to keep playing my game but turn the TV off now. Many, many thanks to those of you that tried, are trying, and much respect to those who continue to try. nice post zulu but we have to remember that not all here are adults..some are kids with a inflated ego..think back to when u was 14 or 15 u see my point..but i agree with u 100%

SGT Rud
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I have stated repeatedly that kids play this game. Foul language and rude comments are not welcome by the majority of the community. My biggest issue are the names of some of the characters in the game. It is ridiculous that some people can't have a civilized conversation and instantly jump to the conclusion that your opinion is wrong.

I enjoy reading a few peoples threads. This is actually the first forum I have been a part of. The last time I chatted with people online, it was yahoo and aol chat rooms. Do they still have those?

I recently went to facebook and found some of Gree's modern war contests for gold. I thought this was a great idea to keep players engaged with each other. Basically it was take a screen shot of your base, upload to their timeline, and everyone votes on the best base. Winner gets 250 gold. They also had one for allies codes. Doesn't look like they have run that contests since november of last year. They also discontinued the create your own unit for event prizes and become an epic boss contest. I missed out on all of it.

These small programs, however trivial to some, could lower the hostility in this place a bit. Get users more involved with each other.

I remember when road rules came out on MTV. That show was horrible. The stars did nothing but argue and fight with each other constantly. I watched like two episodes and had to drop it. It was horrible. I don't want to watch a bunch of grownups yelling and fighting over fake tv. Its not entertainment to me. The forum has changed a bit I guess, from listening to everyone on here, into something like this. I've done my share of arguing, but it has always been constructive, and never with bad taste. Usually the outcome is me and them PM to continue the discussion so that the thread remains uncluttered.

KFH
05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Another great read Zulu
I think a major downfall was a bunch of the older players that used to keep people in check are gone now. Lots of disrespect on the threads for no reason. I remember Mr, Henry was really surprised to see a thread between my faction and another being polite to each other during wartime. A little friendly competition is always needed, but shouldn't be overshadowed by rude behavior