PDA

View Full Version : iOS or Android?

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 08:45 PM
What is your opinion?

Here is mine. Even without Steve Jobs, I still like iOS. Android was first brought online as 'open source' which is cute for an initial launch but a really bad idea in the stretch. As time has shown, give them the code, and lunacy will run rampant. On iOS I have never had a solicitor call me. Nor have I ever had my identity stolen. Unlike my friends on Android.

Google has made a ton without caring about the long term. Android has 68% of the market bc it is the ghetto OS. Cheap, easy, open source. Ok, maybe Blackberry has become somewhat the definitive ghetto. Android is not far behind.

vNastIER
05-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Check my SIG link. The one under posting guidelines lol

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Android is winning because they allow their software to the phone manufacturers for free. So, everyone that can make a phone has an operating system. Google rakes in the dough afterwards. So, all crap phones have Android. Samsung is trying but is still falling short. The iPhone is made in one place. They are the only ones privy to iOS.

Google is trying to crush Apple with quantity over quality. I for one, choose the pretty lady over the masses of average ones.

CDR Shepard
05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Android is winning because they allow their software to the phone manufacturers for free. So, everyone that can make a phone has an operating system. Google rakes in the dough afterwards. So, all crap phones have Android. Samsung is trying but is still falling short. The iPhone is made in one place. They are the only ones privy to iOS.

Google is trying to crush Apple with quantity over quality. I for one, choose the pretty lady over the masses of average ones.

Sorry, I disagree. Just because it is an OS outside of iOS, should you group them all together and call them all Android? There are many levels of "Android" OS then. I understand what you are saying, and even on that level I like the ability to use any kinds of programs and apps to do whatever I choose. I don't like that Apple requires all rights of whatever program you use on its OS (legally). I think there are also many good OS that fall under your "Android" grouping that far exceed the iOS as far as tech and ability. Just my 2 cents.

SEC
05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
The only company making any profit at all with Android is Samsung. All the other players like HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, etc. are barely breaking even and some are actually losing money. The only statistic that really matters is profits and Apple is making about 70% of the actual profits. Global market share means jack all if the companies can't make a profit. Android has a larger share because of all those millions of crappy phones running Android 2.3 in China, India, and other 3rd world countries. Even though 2.3 is several years old that is still the most popular version of Android by far. Those people don't buy apps or even use it as a smartphone but just as a flip phone replacement. iOS users buy about 3 times as many apps as Android users and developers go where the money is. Android is also terribly fragmented with so many different version and resolutions. Then you have forked versions with Amazon and others.

vNastIER
05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
i doubt that. most people these days get their apps for free lol

not that I do that..its illegal lmao

SEC
05-21-2013, 09:12 PM
This chart says it all.

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/screen-shot-2012-12-11-at-9-52-16-am.png

DME
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
iOS is probably the better OS in most respects, as it only needs to cater to their own products who's tech specs are rather limited. iOS is very restrictive however.

Android caters to all kinds of specs and not just their own limited spec products, so can be found to be lacking in certain aspects. The tech specs of android phones tend to be far more up to date than iphones though.

iphones are also a rip off for the specs you get. You have to pay a high premium for the brand.

quagmir
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
The iPhone is made in one place. That one place is China and how dare google make money.

How Much Did Google Make in 2011? A staggering $37.9 billion!!

Of this amount 96% came from advertising.

The second quarter of 2012 Apple made 39.2 billion

Google is just raking in the dough.

DME
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
This chart says it all.

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/screen-shot-2012-12-11-at-9-52-16-am.png

That's due to them charging a premium for outdated tech and charging both developers (yearly membership) and end users and holding a bit of a monopoly with itunes.

vNastIER
05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
the fact that I have to basically SSH into an iPhone to "take control" of my files is garbage lol

give iphone simple drag and drop and you will bring over millions of users with that feature alone lol

CDR Shepard
05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
iOS is probably the better OS in most respects, as it only needs to cater to their own products who's tech specs are rather limited. iOS is very restrictive however.

Android caters to all kinds of specs and not just their own limited spec products, so can be found to be lacking in certain aspects. The tech specs of android phones tend to be far more up to date than iphones though.

iphones are also a rip off for the specs you get. You have to pay a high premium for the brand.

Agreed. What I was trying to say at post #4

SEC
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
That's due to them charging a premium for outdated tech and charging both developers (yearly membership) and end users and holding a bit of a monopoly with itunes.

keep dreaming. Unlike Android makers apple won't release tech until it is ready. Good example is all those early LTE phones that were complete crap and sucked battery life like crazy. Apple waited until the LTE chips had matured because they didn't want to give an inferior experience. An entry iPhone is $199 on contract which is the same price as most flagship androids so not sure what premium you are talking about. How about the resale value of an iPhone vs most android phones. With all this updated tech on Android why is there still such lag? They need 8 cores just to come close to being as fast as the 3 year old iPhone 4. Try doing any serious music apps on android and you can really see the lag. The system mixing buffer is where the differences between iOS and Android are most apparent. On iOS, you have the ability to request any buffer size you want, and the OS will give it to you, if the processor is fast enough to handle it. At a 44.1kHz sampling rate, a 256-sample buffer is about 5.8 milliseconds On the latest Android devices, the minimum buffer size is 16384 samples long, which is about 371.5 milliseconds long. The lag is measurable: about 350 milliseconds. It seems insignificant but it is not. This latency problem on Android stops developers from writing musical apps that could compete with those available on iPhone or iPad.

vNastIER
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
keep dreaming. Unlike Android makers apple won't release tech until it is ready. Good example is all those early LTE phones that were complete crap and sucked battery life like crazy. Apple waited until the LTE chips had matured because they didn't want to give an inferior experience. An entry iPhone is $199 on contract which is the same price as most flagship androids so not sure what premium you are talking about. How about the resale value of an iPhone vs most android phones. With all this updated tech on Android why is there still such lag? They need 8 cores just to come close to being as fast as the 3 year old iPhone 4. Try doing any serious music apps on android and you can really see the lag. The system mixing buffer is where the differences between iOS and Android are most apparent. On iOS, you have the ability to request any buffer size you want, and the OS will give it to you, if the processor is fast enough to handle it. At a 44.1kHz sampling rate, a 256-sample buffer is about 5.8 milliseconds On the latest Android devices, the minimum buffer size is 16384 samples long, which is about 371.5 milliseconds long. The lag is measurable: about 350 milliseconds. It seems insignificant but it is not. This latency problem on Android stops developers from writing musical apps that could compete with those available on iPhone or iPad.
Go Big Ten

glitters
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I've never used an Android phone but I just want to say that iPhone 5 feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

HunterKiller
05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
I have an iPhone 4s and a Galaxy Tab 10.1, the iPhone absolutely destroys the Galaxy for speed, reliability, stability, ease of use and quality of apps.
The only reason I gave the Android a try was because it was cheaper, I will replace it with an iPad next.
People go on about how there are more apps available for android, but the quality of most of those apps is terrible, and using the same app on iOS and Android back to back is chalk and cheese, the iOS app will always feel smarter, faster and better thought out.

The new S4 looks cool as a phone though, and it is pretty tempting to head that way if Apple doesn't make some big improvements for the 5s.

DME
05-21-2013, 10:04 PM
keep dreaming. Unlike Android makers apple won't release tech until it is ready.

Read as "until it gets cheap enough to allow them to maintain high profits without having to increase the price significantly to do so"

I've never used an Android phone but I just want to say that iPhone 5 feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

You wouldn't like the Samsungs then, as they literally are cheap pieces of plastic (albeit with quality specs inside).

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 10:06 PM
This chart says it all.

Yet, look at the "phones owned" graph

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
iPhone is exclusive due to price. Kind of like a Ferrari. Android is what people in trailers use and say they have a 'smart phone'.

SEC
05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Yet, look at the "phones owned" graph

Again, companies aren't making phone as a charity they are making phones to make profits. All those Android phones being sold are mostly cheap sub $200 crap phones running a 3 year old version of Android. They don't surf, don't use apps, and certainly don't buy apps. They are flip phones. Look at the percentage of iOS vs Android for actual web usage.

How long do you think HTC and all those companies can keep making Android phones if they aren't making any profit?Take all those tens of millions of cheap Android phones used in 3rd world countries and Android isn't nearly as dominant in market share. The only statistic that should matter to a company and it's shareholders is profits and Apple is doing pretty well there.

Ask Gree which they prefer. Ever wonder why the Android version of MW is so inferior to the iOS version? They didn't even bother making a Android version of Kingdom age. Android is a malware infested mess build on a cheap Java knock off. They can't ever code themselves out of the inherent deficiencies at the core of Android. Throw all the overclocked cores you want at it and an iPhone will generally smoke it in actual use. Having said that I do wish Apple would make a larger version of the iPhone around 4.5" to maybe 4.8". But I use my iPad at home so not really that much of an issue as it used to be before I bought an iPad.

DME
05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Ask Gree which they prefer. Ever wonder why the Android version of MW is so inferior to the iOS version?

The game was initially made for iOS and then ported to Android, so it's rather obvious why it would work better on the OS it was actually designed for, although there are still plenty of issues in the iOS version.

glitters
05-21-2013, 10:35 PM
iPhone is exclusive due to price. Kind of like a Ferrari. Android is what people in trailers use and say they have a 'smart phone'.

A "Ferrari" that has lesser specs and costs less than something mainstream. Cut the fanboyism please.

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
The difference is iOS polices their product. Where Android is a free for all.

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 10:43 PM
I hope it stays that way. I have no issue with shelling out 500-1000 for an iOS product knowing someone is looking out for me.

glitters
05-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Where I am, iPhone 5 is cheaper than the latest Android phones.

BILAT NI KAZU BAHO
05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
What is your opinion?

Here is mine. Even without Steve Jobs, I still like iOS. Android was first brought online as 'open source' which is cute for an initial launch but a really bad idea in the stretch. As time has shown, give them the code, and lunacy will run rampant. On iOS I have never had a solicitor call me. Nor have I ever had my identity stolen. Unlike my friends on Android.

Google has made a ton without caring about the long term. Android has 68% of the market bc it is the ghetto OS. Cheap, easy, open source. Ok, maybe Blackberry has become somewhat the definitive ghetto. Android is not far behind.

It depends. If you want an account that is glitchy and unstable but cannot be stolen by hackers who gets fat sitting in their computer all day distributing itunes card to his members, go with android. Otherwise, ios.

SEC
05-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I used to have an Android before I switched to an iPhone so I am familiar with both platforms. I was surprised to hear that Google no longer allows apps to be stored on SD cards since 4.2. With many phones only including 16GB internal storage of which over half of that is taken up by the system itself that doesn't really leave a lot of room for apps. I realize you can still use an SD card for photos, video, and music but even so that was a surprise move. I understand the reason they did this was because of stability issues.

I have a feeling that iOS 7 will really blow people away this year. It is supposed to be the biggest release since they added an app store. These phone wars are actually silly and remind me of the Windows vs. Mac wars years ago. Use what you like and be happy with it.

glitters
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
If your criterion is playability of Gree games, then iOS is the obvious choice.

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Don't expect any miracles without Jobs around.

I used to have an Android before I switched to an iPhone so I am familiar with both platforms. I was surprised to hear that Google no longer allows apps to be stored on SD cards since 4.2. With many phones only including 16GB internal storage of which over half of that is taken up by the system itself that doesn't really leave a lot of room for apps. I realize you can still use an SD card for photos, video, and music but even so that was a surprise move. I understand the reason they did this was because of stability issues.

I have a feeling that iOS 7 will really blow people away this year. It is supposed to be the biggest release since they added an app store. These phone wars are actually silly and remind me of the Windows vs. Mac wars years ago. Use what you like and be happy with it.

SEC
05-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Don't expect any miracles without Jobs around.

I didn't expect any miracles when he was around. He built a solid team at Apple. Tim Cook, Jonny Ive, and so many others are perfectly capable of continuing the tradition he started. He was a great CEO but an even better teacher and Apple has a lot of very smart folks running the show now. If you think Apple was Steve Jobs you are very mistaken. They will likely release one or more products in the next two years that will be as big as the iPad. It may be a new Apple TV that destroys the market for Xbox and playstation, it may be a wearable wrist watch type computer accessory, it might be a new car entertainment system, or something none of us ever thought of which is the most likely. But it will be insanely great on that you can be sure.

If your criterion is playability of Gree games, then iOS is the obvious choice.

Actually even the Google apps work better on iOS as well in my experience. I have never had an app crash on iOS even once and even google apps can crash on Android and seem to lag and crash. I don't know of any app made for both platforms that you can say works better in Android. So what is your excuse for that?

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 11:11 PM
No one is denying Adroid's dominance. It is a free OS for those that can even pretend to make a phone. Then again, no one is denying the idiocracy of the world. "Batin!

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Nope. They need him more than ever. Without him they fudged iPhone 5. Jobs would have given them a good spanking for that. It'll be my last iPhone.

R.I.P. Jobs

I didn't expect any miracles when he was around. He built a solid team at Apple. Tim Cook, Jonny Ive, and so many others are perfectly capable of continuing the tradition he started. He was a great CEO but an even better teacher and Apple has a lot of very smart folks running the show now. If you think Apple was Steve Jobs you are very mistaken. They will likely release one or more products in the next two years that will be as big as the iPad. It may be a new Apple TV that destroys the market for Xbox and playstation, it may be a wearable wrist watch type computer accessory, it might be a new car entertainment system, or something none of us ever thought of which is the most likely. But it will be insanely great on that you can be sure.

Actually even the Google apps work better on iOS as well in my experience. I have never had an app crash on iOS even once and even google apps can crash on Android and seem to lag and crash. I don't know of any app made for both platforms that you can say works better in Android. So what is your excuse for that?

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:20 PM
For your information, "idiocracy" means: Peculiarity of constitution; that temperament, or state of constitution, which is peculiar to a person; idiosyncrasy.

No one is denying Adroid's dominance. It is a free OS for those that can even pretend to make a phone. Then again, no one is denying the idiocracy of the world. "Batin!

Infamous They
05-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I was referring to the brilliant "B" movie

SEC
05-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Nope. They need him more than ever. Without him they fudged iPhone 5. Jobs would have given them a good spanking for that. It'll be my last iPhone.

R.I.P. Jobs

Give me a break, steve jobs was alive when they were working on the iPhone 5. How exactly did they fudge the iPhone 5 since it is the best selling smart phone on the planet? I bet Samsung wishes they could fudge it so well since it took them a month to sell as many Galaxy S4's as it took Apple to sell in the opening week-end.

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
So true that idiots outnumber the geniuses. But you have to remember at one stage iPhone users outnumbered Android users.

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
First of all it feels cheap. Like a toy phone. That's sufficiently convincing I believe. I rest my case.

Give me a break, steve jobs was alive when they were working on the iPhone 5. How exactly did they fudge the iPhone 5 since it is the best selling smart phone on the planet? I bet Samsung wishes they could fudge it so well since it took them a month to sell as many Galaxy S4's as it took Apple to sell in the opening week-end.

SEC
05-21-2013, 11:42 PM
First of all it feels cheap. Like a toy phone. That's sufficiently convincing I believe. I rest my case.

Rest what case? You haven't made one cogent or salient point this entire thread. You certainly demonstrate the android demographics quite accurately though.

DME
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM

Best selling doesn't always equate to the best. Samsung has a stronger foothold in the east (where they are based) and Apple have a stronger foothold in the west (where they are based).
Apple were the first ones to really hit the scene and as such developed a loyal fan base before others came came along. Them already having cornered the market with iTunes also helped immensely.
If they had both come come on the scene at the same time and both invested the same amounts in advertising in the same territories then it could be a different story (apple would still have had the edge thanks to iTunes), but it's really been a bit of a game of catch up for the other companies.

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Rest what case? You haven't made one cogent or salient point this entire thread. You certainly demonstrate the android demographics quite accurately though.

I see comprehension isn't your strong point. If you read my post, you'd know I've never used an Android.

SEC
05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Best selling doesn't always equate to the best. Samsung has a stronger foothold in the east (where they are based) and Apple have a stronger foothold in the west (where they are based).
Apple were the first ones to really hit the scene and as such developed a loyal fan base before others came came along. Them already having cornered the market with iTunes also helped immensely.
If they had both come come on the scene at the same time and both invested the same amounts in advertising in the same territories then it could be a different story (apple would still have had the edge thanks to iTunes), but it's really been a bit of a game of catch up for the other companies.

WTH are you talking about? Both companies sell globally what difference does it make where they are based? Most of the phones that Samsung sell aren't even galaxy models, they are those ultra cheap phones that still run Android 2.3. Samsung also made smart phones before the iPhone came along not the other way around. Are people seriously this obtuse?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ttuugwe7h72jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
To be honest, I hate Samsung. They are a bunch of uninnovative copycats. So is Apple but they don't do it as blatantly and as shamelessly as Samsung. Shame on you Samsung and your shameless ads. I'll never buy a single Samsung product.

glitters
05-21-2013, 11:56 PM
What good timing! Finally we can agree on something. As you can see, I'm perfectly unbiased.

WTH are you talking about? Both companies sell globally what difference does it make where they are based? Most of the phones that Samsung sell aren't even galaxy models, they are those ultra cheap phones that still run Android 2.3. Samsung also made smart phones before the iPhone came along not the other way around. Are people seriously this obtuse?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ttuugwe7h72jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Infamous They
05-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Let Android fumble around for sales. I like the middle finger Apple throws to the masses.

Infamous They
05-22-2013, 12:07 AM
I have a garage in China. Does that mean I can build an Android phone and you will market it to exploit the secondaries? Well get 'er done fast and loud.

DME
05-22-2013, 12:27 AM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ttuugwe7h72jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg[

Apple (Steve Jobs) redefined the market as opposed to simply trying to compete in the already established market, which left the others having to play catch up. Apple (Steve Jobs) took a calculated risk and it paid off immensely. That is what I meant by Apple being first on the scene, as they redefined the scene.

Infamous They
05-22-2013, 12:45 AM
3 years from now, Android users have bought 3 phones to try to "keep up". The guy with the iPhone 4 is still happy with simple software updates.

iPhone 6 may be on the market, but it is not an absolute must have to keep up. Chime the Samsung followers.

Infamous They
05-22-2013, 12:49 AM
In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick Android over iOS. Or just poor. Been there and understand.

DME
05-22-2013, 12:57 AM
In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick Android over iOS. Or just poor. Been there and understand.

Fanboyism at its finest.

glitters
05-22-2013, 01:36 AM
In a nutshell, you are a moron if you pick fanboyism over logic. Or just idiotic. Seen it and understand.

SEC
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
3 years from now, Android users have bought 3 phones to try to "keep up". The guy with the iPhone 4 is still happy with simple software updates.

iPhone 6 may be on the market, but it is not an absolute must have to keep up. Chime the Samsung followers.

Exactly right. It amuses me to no end to hear fandroid tout all these great specs. But when you actually do real life tests with games, web browsing, camera, and features you actually use the iPhone trounces the competition. There is a very good reason the 3 year old iPhone 4 is still a good and usable phone and all the Android phones released at the same time are completely obsolete now. Apple doesn't need to overclock the CPU to make the iPhone fast. You never hear people complain about lag on an iPhone or bad battery life which are common complaints about android phones. Because Apple build the hardware and the OS that runs it is a fine tuned beautiful piece of kit. And since I don't plan on doing any heavy duty photoshop or video rendering on my phone I really don't care about useless specs that won't make one iota of difference to how I use my phone.

glitters
05-22-2013, 05:02 PM
My iPhone 4 lags bad. The hardware inside is just junk. Still lags after formatting.

My 4S however is much better. 5 does not lag. But I'll say this again: it feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

You need to look at it from this perspective. iPhones are like gaming consoles. Streamlined and efficient, but very restrictive. And limiting when it comes to true customization. Android phones are like computers. The software needs to be coded for a wide range of hardware so the end result is going to be inefficiency of the software/hardware interaction. But on the plus side, Android is unrestrictive. And I'd say it has more potential for amazing ideas to bloom because of that.

Exactly right. It amuses me to no end to hear fandroid tout all these great specs. But when you actually do real life tests with games, web browsing, camera, and features you actually use the iPhone trounces the competition. There is a very good reason the 3 year old iPhone 4 is still a good and usable phone and all the Android phones released at the same time are completely obsolete now. Apple doesn't need to overclock the CPU to make the iPhone fast. You never hear people complain about lag on an iPhone or bad battery life which are common complaints about android phones. Because Apple build the hardware and the OS that runs it is a fine tuned beautiful piece of kit. And since I don't plan on doing any heavy duty photoshop or video rendering on my phone I really don't care about useless specs that won't make one iota of difference to how I use my phone.

SEC
05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
My iPhone 4 lags bad. The hardware inside is just junk. Still lags after formatting.

My 4S however is much better. 5 does not lag. But I'll say this again: it feels like a cheap piece of plastic.

You need to look at it from this perspective. iPhones are like gaming consoles. Streamlined and efficient, but very restrictive. And limiting when it comes to true customization. Android phones are like computers. The software needs to be coded for a wide range of hardware so the end result is going to be inefficiency of the software/hardware interaction. But on the plus side, Android is unrestrictive. And I'd say it has more potential for amazing ideas to bloom because of that.

It is hard to take you serious when you say that an aluminum phone feels like cheap plastic. The iPhone is every bit as much as a computer as any Android. Having useless battery eating live wallpaper and a few other customization options doesn't make Android any more powerful than an iPhone. That freedom also comes at a very steep cost. There is no malware for the iPhone while there are hundreds if not thousands on Android. There is also no screening process for apps on Android which means many harmful or just crappy apps make it to the Google store. I don't hate Android, I just know enough about the shortcomings to know that the so called advantages are actually not advantages at all. If Android is so open why do people feel the need to root to remove bloatware that carriers install? No bloatware on iPhones. People that love to tinker endlessly and change their wallpapers every day might appreciate the customization of Android but people that actually want to use their phone and all the apps on it without any lag, fuss or muss and get actual work done pick an iPhone. It is also nice to know I don't have big brother (aka Google) monitoring where I go, where I shop, and every other aspect of my life so they can send more advertising. If you aren't concerned about privacy, stability, or quality then Android is the platform for you.

glitters
05-22-2013, 05:31 PM
It feels like cheap plastic. Be honest. It does. Compare it to a 4S and you'll feel the downgrade in build quality.

Never used an Andriod phone myself. But what I hear from friends and colleagues, once you go Android, you'll never go back (to iOS).

SEC
05-22-2013, 05:45 PM
I had 3 Android phones before I got an iPhone and I can tell you the reverse is true. I spent as much time trying to root, patch, find a decent rom, fix glitches and annoyances as I did actually using them. Even something as simple as backing up your Android phone is tedious. If you lose your iPhone or it gets broken, get a new iPhone connect it to iTunes and in a few minutes it will be fully restored even down to your call log history. Titanium Pro (a paid app btw) is the closest I came to a full backup solution on Android and even then you still had to tweak settings and spend several hours to get it back to the way it was before. I will never buy an Android product again. It just feels very much a work in progress.

I also think it is hilarious that the Google Now app will work on all iPhones even the iPhone 4 but it will only work on Android phones running Android 4.1 (jellybean) or later which is only about 25% of all Android users. What a slap in the face to the Android community. That Android phone purchased the same year as an iPhone 4 can't run Google now but an iPhone can.

glitters
05-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Android can't be that bad. After all, the Android market is growing while iOS is shrinking. That can only mean one thing. People are jumping ship. Jumping to a more luxurious ship.

SEC
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Android can't be that bad. After all, the Android market is growing while iOS is shrinking. That can only mean one thing. People are jumping ship. Jumping to a more luxurious ship.

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? iOS is not shrinking it is growing. Android is growing largely due to 3rd world countries where they can't afford anything but dirt cheap phones and poor people on pre-paid plans. In that sub $250 market Apple doesn't compete because there is no profit there. In richer countries Android is not growing. the iPhone is over 50% of sales on U.S. carriers and about 80% on AT&T.

What part of market share means nothing when those companies aren't making any money selling those cheap Android crap phones? Companies can't keep making them while losing money. Only Samsung thanks to billion dollar advertising campaigns are making any money at all and they aren't even making a third of what Apple makes. By your logic since Chinese has the largest market share in terms of native speakers we should just abandon English and all learn Mandarin. No one cares about market share besides fandroids. I have yet to hear one legitimate advantage that Android has so I will offer one. I would like a larger screen but I am willing to tolerate a smaller screen running iOS rather than to return to the hell I lived with those 3 Android phones I had.

glitters
05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
^ iPhone 5 feels like a cheap piece of crud. Come on! Admit it! Or I'll call you a fanboy.

glitters
05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Well Apple has its own software ecosystem. It gains revenue from iTunes and other sources. iPhones generally have cheaper hardware too so that explains the greater profit for Apple.

glitters
05-22-2013, 06:58 PM
My forecast is this: Apple is overpriced compared to Android, and doesn't offer enough value in return. Because of this, their market edge is evaporating. Apple's main advantage is that it is the choice for people who don't know much, the same as AOL was the beginners' choice to get online in the early days of the internet. The word is spreading fast that Apple products are overpriced, and that Android works fine. I've seen nothing to indicate that Tim Cook & Company will blaze any breathtaking trails in the future. Sheer momentum will continue to attract well-heeled non-price-sensitive customers to Apple (such as big corporations, rich yuppies, and those hungry for the hip factor) for some time to come -- but, eventually, that momentum will peter out. You can cash in on cachet for just so long. Sooner or later, you have to deliver an edge. Verdict: Apple has seen its day in the sun.

glitters
05-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Although I agree that Apple products are used by many who do know and not just used by grandparents and people trying to learn about the current stage in technology, once you break down the specs and the full potential of each operating system for the price, Android just seems to win out in the end. Just as an example: The Galaxy S4 has a Quad-Core Snapdragon Processor with 2GB of ram while the iPhone 5 has a Dual-Core A6 processor with 1GB of ram. Honestly, it seems like those who want the "hip" factor of a smartphone go for the iPhone while those who look for true power and functionality go for an Android phone. Just my 2 cents.

glitters
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Use both, but as a techie, prefer Android. iOS is feeling dated, like a Fisher Price toy. But I don't want Android to dominate too much. Apple has its place and will continue to do well.

glitters
05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Apple makes more money because they control their ecosphere (App store, iTunes, etc.) This allows them to charge what they want from app developers and siphon off money from artists and companies involved in the creation of app, music, and video content. Just because they have this stranglehold doesn't mean they make better products

glitters
05-22-2013, 07:02 PM
I said apple has won...and thats MY opinion. They won MY loyalty. My spending bucks. I have much more of a clue than you have. I paid $200 for my iPhone 4s, and sold it a year later for $380 on ebay...then I bought the iPhone 5 for $200. Hmm....is THAT what I meant by resale?

Then I sold my old 3G for $75 and my wife's old 3GS for 100 on ebay. Is THAT good enough resale numbers for you

To say I have to "get a clue"...is utterly rude...and you should be ashamed you spoke like that to 1) someone you don't know 2) someone who was giving an opinion. This is the state the world is in..talk smack and THEN ask questions. You should have asked the questions before assuming that "stupid people can post too".

Now lets hear YOUR response. I wont call you and idiot until I hear your answer. But I had every right to call you rude.

Good day!

glitters
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
I said apple has won...and thats MY opinion. They won MY loyalty. My spending bucks. I have much more of a clue than you have. I paid $200 for my iPhone 4s, and sold it a year later for $380 on ebay...then I bought the iPhone 5 for $200. Hmm....is THAT what I meant by resale?

Then I sold my old 3G for $75 and my wife's old 3GS for 100 on ebay. Is THAT good enough resale numbers for you

To say I have to "get a clue"...is utterly rude...and you should be ashamed you spoke like that to 1) someone you don't know 2) someone who was giving an opinion. This is the state the world is in..talk smack and THEN ask questions. You should have asked the questions before assuming that "stupid people can post too".

Now lets hear YOUR response. I wont call you and idiot until I hear your answer. But I had every right to call you rude.

Good day!

You are talking about subsidized prices then... not the actual price of the phone. We all know that. You simply don't post it as it shows your incorrect about resale value as you are not telling the whole truth.

I can't speak for _your_ numbers because as far as I know, you just made them up... or perhaps you found an idiot to pay $380 for an old iPhone (not that hard to find... odd how that works).

Right now iPhone 4s's are selling for $285. If you managed to find one for $200, great! I can say I found an S3 for $1 and sold it for $500.

But let's deal with FACTS. I bought my S3 just after they were releaed for $180 _subsidized_. Right now they are going for around $100 _subsidized_ (the same price you are mentioning obtainable for the iPhone 4s). Selling price on ebay... $350!

If you can find some idiot to sell an iPhone 4s for $200 and an idiot to buy it for $380 then GREAT! But those are not market prices.

glitters
05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
iOS will continue to lose share overtime as it's only one company managing and producing the platform. Android will be king at the expense of several forks (main branch, Facebook Home, Amazon Kindle, etc.) but as many software and hardware providers are pushing the platform it will finally gain 80% to 90% of the market.

In terms of earnings iOS will be much more profitable (relatively and not in absolute terms like now) because in the Android ecosystem the battle will be price and in iOS it will be differentiation (charging a premium for quality and design).

SEC
05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
The last 9 posts in this thread were all by Glitters. Who exactly were you talking to? :confused:

I especially enjoyed the post where you pretended to be an Apple fan then then quoted yourself and switched to hardcore fandroid mode and argued with yourself by quoting your other post 2 posts above this one. You are either very very young or are off your meds. The one thing I am sure of is you don't have an iPhone nor the ability to make any argument worthy of further response.

sraghav42
05-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Ios is far better than android

DME
05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
The last 9 posts in this thread were all by Glitters. Who exactly were you talking to? :confused:

I especially enjoyed the post where you pretended to be an Apple fan then then quoted yourself and switched to hardcore fandroid mode and argued with yourself by quoting your other post 2 posts above this one. You are either very very young or are off your meds. The one thing I am sure of is you don't have an iPhone nor the ability to make any argument worthy of further response.

He was copying and pasting comments from that iOS vs Android stats article for some reason.

kidpresentable
05-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Android is best.

cage
05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
This chart says it all.

Your chart shows a monopoly from manufacturing to software to sales for the iOS platform, with competition in the Android market.

In case you didn't take Econ 101, monopolies lead to better profits for the company (as your chart shows for Apple), but less innovation and weaker products for the consumer. The iOS based phones are consistently at least 1 generation behind in features. Apple devices are, in general, prettier though.

The result of the monopoly is once they have you in the ecosystem, it's very difficult to escape to another. You are essentially stuck with Apple and whatever they decide to offer, and you are closed to all the other competition. Tying yourself to iOS is removing competition from your personal mobile world.

However, when it comes to Modern War, iOS wins. The lack of competition has limited the devices on the OS, so while this is bad for the consumer in terms of innovation and product improvement, it is good in the sense that developers have less variables to support. In other words, it's less buggy.

glitters
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Meh. You take things too seriously. I was copy pasting comments from an article.

Btw, 3 iPhones here.

quagmir
05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
wasn't Samsung making processors for apple in 2011? interesting

glitters
05-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Personally I take iOS. It suits me better. But that doesn't mean it suits everyone else better.