PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes a game can be more

GuyInLobsterSuit
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Amongst the complaints and cynicism I want to share a brief story from the faction battles.

Shortly before Columbia one of our members was hit as a pedestrian by a drunk driver. He will live but he has some nasty injuries. In the battle for Columbia his two early teenage kids took turns with his iPad and battled with us.

Somewhere between real life and a virtual game we met - and they had access to a wider network of well wishers and supporters at a difficult time. At one point in battle I recall pictures of respective pets being shared with word balloons to complete the conversation.

Sometimes a game can be more.

Jhenry02
05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Agreed, we've had births, marriages and illnesses all through our WD events.

In Battle for Brazil I was hospitalized with a nasty stomach virus. Even though we'd only been together a short while, I had a lot of well wishers. We got a mascot in Battle for Greenland; baby B[redacted] (I tried for Charlie, but it wasn't happening,) one of our newest members just got married during Colombia.

It's an e-friendship. We run in house events, and participation when not mandatory is usually pretty high.
We don't run it as a business, more of a party planning committee.

I agree with your sentiments GILS, I always got a laugh out of Sgt. Z and his antics.

Generik79
05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Great story. Thank you. Best wishes to your friend.

Jhoemel
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Nice story man, thats whats online gaming is about. Its about people interaction and relationships

Tito89
05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
cool story, how did the kids score?

Skyser30518
05-21-2013, 05:08 PM
They did very well! Without a doubt, my favorite part of this battle was reading their post as they were hiding under the covers so Nanna would think they were sleeping. Like my friend in the lobster suit said, this transcended the game and was a way for the children to share something with their dad and his friends.

vNastIER
05-21-2013, 05:15 PM
very true. that is what factions are supposed to be about (for the most part) like it was when we first started. Now it seems as if its a contest in which we are trying to see who can spend the most money or get the biggest gold bonus. Dont get me wrong, I still meet a s ton of amazing people right now and the faction I am in is a great team. Its just too bad that we weed out the weak to make room for the rich when in reality, the weaker one was probably a better person to get to know lol.

enough of that semi-rant

I hope your friend has a full and speedy recovery?
BTW...did they catch the guy who hit him?

HunterKiller
05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree, I have made real friends through this game.
Myself and some other guys who are ex members of my faction still chat every day, even though half of them no longer play.

That is one of the reasons that I believe an external chat room or forum is vital to a good faction, stronger friendships are formed and we end up working together more, and fighting harder when it comes time for war.

manbeast
05-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Amongst the complaints and cynicism I want to share a brief story from the faction battles.

Shortly before Columbia one of our members was hit as a pedestrian by a drunk driver. He will live but he has some nasty injuries. In the battle for Columbia his two early teenage kids took turns with his iPad and battled with us.

Somewhere between real life and a virtual game we met - and they had access to a wider network of well wishers and supporters at a difficult time. At one point in battle I recall pictures of respective pets being shared with word balloons to complete the conversation.

Sometimes a game can be more.

My dog is jealous of your dogs lobster suit

Ryans67
05-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Thumbs up to his kids and I wish him a speedy recovery. Can't wait to hear what dad says about all his missing gold. Lol.

GuyInLobsterSuit
05-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Lol! Indeed Ryan.
It IS a fancy suit ManBeast ;)

Thanks for the well wishes.

Kids did great in war - wouldn't have made top 10 without them.
Lollie jar battle still in stand off.
Nanna's aim improving.
Dad doing ok ... at least maintaining the illusion of executive oversight of gold! ;)

sraghav42
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
When you spend more than 2 wd events with the same faction it gets very hard to leave them , it feels like they have become our virtual family

vball
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Hopes for a speedy recovery and a great thing.

I too experienced that same type of fellowship in VFF Alpha when my son wanted to play and they supported that and allowed him in.

Arach, thanks for this post, it really is a powerful testimony to the strength of some of these factions and GSF is an excellent example.

Congrats on the finish and best of luck in Madgascar.

Thief
05-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Wonderful story from a great faction. I think alot of factions have developed very similiar bonds (in hopefully better circumstances) and it has become much more than just a game for many.

Thank you for sharing.

Jaebee
05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Very nice...and get well soon to the dad!