PDA

View Full Version : Do defence skill points protect buildings??

Sgt Rocker
05-12-2013, 03:15 AM
I have accumulated 45 skill points and would like to know if defence skill points protect the buildings as well as the persona?

bald zeemer
05-12-2013, 03:29 AM
They don't protect anything. Put your skill points into stamina and energy.

Sgt Rocker
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Attack skill points seem to work for me so i recon defence points also do. If the defence points cover the buildings I would apoly some more.

ScratchFace
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
They don't protect anything.

Explain please.....?

murf
05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Search the forums or read the best of the best...

short answer: no one exactly knows what they do, but best guess we currently have is they add a max of 10 (at L100 and up) to your attack/defense score for each skill point. And with the recent stat inflation we've seen, these went from worth only a little to nearly completely worthless.

Nacho!
05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
That's an interesting theory, I've never looked to see if the skill points increase raw attack or defense score.

My theory is that it is 1 factor in calculating whether an attack is successful or not. When you initiate an attack, you see all the stats at the top of the results, including your attack points which I believe is a multiplier. The victim always has a ??? For their defense points. So you don't know, but I'm sure it is a factor in the equation. But I think there is also a random factor than is different for PvP and building attacks. I can't win PvP against someone with 10k more defense, but I can win on a building attack. So clearly building attacks are calculated differently. What I do know is that I've lost on attacks that, based on raw attack/defense score I should have won, and I assumed they had stacked all their skill points on defense. I still lean toward thinking they are a multiplier, but maybe I'm giving the original creators too much credit. Gree has monkeyed around with the original code so much that it may have become watered down to the point of meaningless now, who knows.

Nacho!
05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
To clarify, my theory has been that the algorithm is something like: attacker's attack score X attack skill points X some magic factor VS. defender's attack score X defense skill points X some magic factor.

murf
05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Again, search the forum, there are 100's of threads on skill points and attack vs rob defense...ranging from day 1 of this game to much more recent.

Skill points def work behind the scenes, except for epic bosses. There the attack skill points work explicitly as I said above, which was a minor validation of the theory.

Another simple answer for attack vs rob, is defense is halved for robs. My attack is in the mid-190s and I've robbed players with true defense above 250k.

AFed
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
To clarify, my theory has been that the algorithm is something like: attacker's attack score X attack skill points X some magic factor VS. defender's attack score X defense skill points X some magic factor.

Definitely not the case. They're not multiplicative, or someone like me might be able to beat Bam Bam if I loaded on attack points.

Attack is 10 per lvl for 101-200, as can be seen by bosses.

BigMoney
05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Definitely not the case. They're not multiplicative, or someone like me might be able to beat Bam Bam if I loaded on attack points.

Attack is 10 per lvl for 101-200, as can be seen by bosses.

Maybe Bam Bam has all his skill points loaded into defense points :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jazza
05-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Pointless, dont do a thing apart from troll you and people looking at your stats, upgrade buildings and spend the cash on items for true stat infrease

Bam Bam
05-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Maybe Bam Bam has all his skill points loaded into defense points :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL! I don't know any more about how skill points work than the next guy, but I've put 400 into energy and 320 into stamina. Somehow, I have 1 on defense, so they must start us out with 1 in each category? I don't remember.

(CK) EL
05-14-2013, 05:37 AM
They don't protect anything. Put your skill points into stamina and energy.
true story... it's totaly meaningless to spend any skill point in A/D anymore.
1 attack or defence skill point increase your a/d by 10 points unless you are under level 100 or above lev 200 (it's 0.09 more points per level ). For level 250 for example 100 skill points is
100x(10+50*0.09)=1450 points but for levels 100-200 its 1000points.
Attack skill points work for boss event while modifiers don't.
Once, before all these events and before the escalation of item's stats, A/D skill points could help a little, now when at lev 200 almost everybody has stats above 100k, spending skill points in attack or defence is totaly a waste. there is no difference if you have 100 or 101K stats in order to spend 100 s.p there. On the contrary,spending 100 s.p in energy or stamina, could be a great investment considering the LTQs.

Attack and Defence skill points should be a modifier... 100 attack skills point should be 5% mafia attack so there would be a value in our s.p.

Nacho!
05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
OK so reading all of this and I still don't know why I lost 2 consecutive rob attempts on a guy with less defense than me, unless the skill points do really mean something. I am level 132 with 500 mafia, he is level 132 with 499 mafia. My attack was 37868 and his defense 27552. And I lost twice, not PvP, but robbing a building. What could have protected him, if not skill points?

Nacho!
05-19-2013, 11:17 AM
And if it matters, I was using 2111 equipment, he was using 1933.

OneHoop
05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a theory that they do offer much more than 10D x skill point. I have two players: OneHoop LV111 and Xomby LV97. When I first started OneHoop, I didn't know how the game worked so I would buy defense points whenever people started to be able to beat me off of the Rivals List. It was before the boss event (or before I knew about it, I missed a couple/few due to not knowing there was an update available), so I leveled quite a bit at that time sometimes just for the energy refill to keep attacking/PvE. Some issue made me turn to the internet and I found this place. I was reading some old threads based on things I was searching and was under the mistaken impression that the shark tank started at 85 so I started to camp OneHoop. I also read about ROI and started Xomby. I didn't play him as a ROI account very long however, as I decided it made more sense to grow income exponentially by doing the upgrade with the greatest net/UpgradeHour that I could afford. I also discovered that the shark tank didn't start until closer to level 185. From that time on, I played both accounts fairly similarly. I also read about and/or discovered mafia bracketing so that I stopped investing in defensive skill points.

Recently however, I have mafia'd up for battles and with the last one I didn't drop back down because there was not sufficient time in between to waste punching in codes. OneHoop is rarely robbed and loses attacks fairly regularly, while Xomby is walking the line of no-banking (robs plus attacks >10%, but <10% attacks alone). I am not confident that it is because of the difference in defensive skill points because there are quite a few strong players hovering below level 100 trying to stay in boss tier 4. Not everyone, but a lot of people zoom up to LV115 after breaking that barrier to get Missile Turrets and some other nice equipments. So their level of competition is different. OneHoop also has more snipers dens. I am going to build more snipers dens with Xomby, but have used his skill points on Defense the last couple of level ups (just in case).

This experience has also made me reevaluate my policy of not upgrading defensive buildings. I now find L2 or L3 to be acceptable time spent when saving for a larger money upgrade. I'd rather be upgrading IPH, but I also don't like being robbed.

Both accounts are at reasonable levels of energy/stamina before the LTQ, but I will continue buying defensive skill points with Xomby for the last 3 level ups and then re-evalueate from there. I will be investing OneHoops skill points toward energy... unless they continue with the low-level-building hunt that this last LTQ entailed.

Anyway, based upon my experience, your question is not as dumb as the answers that it has received.

M@

PS FWIW, Rob defense is usually much lower than profile defense, so the difference was likely more exaggerated than the numbers indicate.

Droop1972
05-19-2013, 03:59 PM
After all that Bald Zeemer, in post 2 had the best answer. I put 5 into defense and 5 into attack in the first week I played the game. so I have attack 10 and defense 10. I wish I had those skill points back. I have never lost to anyone I should not have and I have never beaten anyone who had superior stats other than the normal randomization that the game has built into it.

My energy is 3700 and my stamina is 115. Those are tangibles and I know what they do and how they work. Forget attack and defense points.

Hey Gree, can I get those skill points changed from a/d to stamina?

I used gold once or twice....

bald zeemer
05-20-2013, 01:34 AM
OK so reading all of this and I still don't know why I lost 2 consecutive rob attempts on a guy with less defense than me, unless the skill points do really mean something. I am level 132 with 500 mafia, he is level 132 with 499 mafia. My attack was 37868 and his defense 27552. And I lost twice, not PvP, but robbing a building. What could have protected him, if not skill points?

This is an ongoing glitch, where occasionally when you attempt to rob a building that has already been robbed you get a loss, instead of a "already been robbed" message or a $1 result.

It is commonly known, and is not dependent on stats - I've had it happen many, many times with people who had 900k defense less than my attack.

Nacho!
05-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Thx, I didn't realize that... No surprise really, I've seen plenty of bugs firsthand.

Assault and Flattery
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
To protect your hood, buy and upgrade defense buildings.

To protect yourself, add skill points to your def (and buy items with high def). Skill points don't add to your VISIBLE stats, but are a factor. After your raw stats are calculated, we toss in skill points. They provide a multiplicative boost, so they're really your best secret weapon. This is why you can't just look at someone's stats and be like "My atk is higher than their def, so I'm going to win". If they have a lot of skill points in def, you could lose.

This is how it has always worked - I highly recommend skill points in atk/def after you've got a comfortable balance in stamina and energy.

mr_bossman
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM

To protect yourself, add skill points to your def (and buy items with high def). Skill points don't add to your VISIBLE stats, but are a factor. After your raw stats are calculated, we toss in skill points. They provide a multiplicative boost, so they're really your best secret weapon. This is why you can't just look at someone's stats and be like "My atk is higher than their def, so I'm going to win". If they have a lot of skill points in def, you could lose.

This is how it has always worked - I highly recommend skill points in atk/def after you've got a comfortable balance in stamina and energy.

Makes ssense to me.

I got robbed and lost by someone with 25% lower att than my def but it gives that random factor.

If you knew for sure whom you could win against, the game would get boring very quickly.

Works both ways, I won an attack against someone I would not have won against if we had no variable factor! :D

Timmaaay
05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

A&F: Thanks for the info. I note you stated "multiplicative boost". Is there any way to expand on that explanation? There are so many threads about what it does or does not do and if you or GREE could just provide a definitive answer, I think it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

mr_bossman
05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
...haven't bought 500 giants which is the MAJOR KEY to being super strong

I am fairly new to the game (1 year old player) but what does your post mean please?

Feng1234
05-24-2013, 05:19 PM
I am fairly new to the game (1 year old player) but what does your post mean please?

1 yr old isn't new....

bald zeemer
05-24-2013, 05:37 PM
He's suggesting buying henchmen, because it is roughly as effective as upgrading defense buildings and using skill points on defense.

(CCK) Cam
05-25-2013, 08:20 AM
You can spend gold to buy henchmen in the game. They are the most valuable gold weapon as far as a return of stats on your gold investment (based on the TrampFrog worksheet)

The key if you want to really max out your defense is to get all 500 of your mafia members as henchmen.

That's how many of the upper level guys have such massive stats.you are joking?

OneHoop
05-25-2013, 09:33 AM
The henchmen is a running "joke". They work the same as mafia members, but you can't drop them.

A&F: "multiplicative boost" does not necessarily mean that it multiplies times your attack or times your defense, does it? Do you mean multiplied by a constant? (eg 10attackpoints/skillpoint)

M@

Lars
05-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Occasionally I had the impression that A/D influence is stronger than adding 10*points. On the other hand, game data and boss events suggest otherwise. (There is a level-dependent entry for a skill point modifier that reaches 10 for high levels. It is fully consistent with the damage one can inflict to bosses.) But then, this is client-side data and the effective A/D values seem to be handled server side.

Anyway, I lost faith in all official Gree statements on the fight mechanics long ago. For example, I strongly believe that the forum wisdom on defense buildings effects is much more accurate than what we are told by the administrators. (I am not even assume some kind of malignance by them. Misapprehension may be an explanation as we rarely deal with those who work on the relevant code parts.)

For an old summary on the fight mechanics according to the forum community see:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?37263-Attack-and-Defense-mechanics-summary-of-old-forum-knowledge

A remark to newbies here: CCM in the linked post refers to the former forum moderator.

mr_bossman
05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I feel the statement I asked about was incorrect then? :)

I'm close to 1500 mafia and many 100+ level players on there.

My stats are not great but here we go:-

Mafia: 1471
Attack: 55k
Defence: 70K
Class: Goodfella
Level: 82
IPH: 150k

Maybe this is a known bug and Gree have not responded to my support ticket after quite some time, I can not view any mafia members since I reached 1000+, only the odd one gets through (although my total goes up) - any ideas?