PDA

View Full Version : Internet Issues... Need a tech savvy person!

Ericinico
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Help guys, I'm in need of some major help. I have a Verizon fios Internet connection. As of Friday, I had a MI424WR router rev C with a 802.11g connection. I spend $80 on a fios MI424WR router rev I with a 802.11n connection. I used an Ethernet cable to plug it into a HP WIN 7 PC and configured it with a WPA2 key. I used a Belkin n300 micro adapter on my HP Pavilion win 7 in a room that is in-range. However, I am only getting a 1 Mbps connection. I Also am an owner of a iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Wifi. My iPhone is functioning properly but my iPad keeps disconnecting from the network. I cannot use FaceTime, iMessage, and MW and CC keep disconnecting in the middle of play! I can collect the money but by the time I go to vault it I get kicked off of the wifi. I also own a PS3 and HP Photosmart 5520 inkjet printer that seem to be functioning perfectly. Can someone please help me with this mess?

thunder
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Help guys, I'm in need of some major help. I have a Verizon fios Internet connection. As of Friday, I had a MI424WR router rev C with a 802.11g connection. I spend $80 on a fios MI424WR router rev I with a 802.11n connection. I used an Ethernet cable to plug it into a HP WIN 7 PC and configured it with a WPA2 key. I used a Belkin n300 micro adapter on my HP Pavilion win 7 in a room that is in-range. However, I am only getting a 1 Mbps connection. I Also am an owner of a iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Wifi. My iPhone is functioning properly but my iPad keeps disconnecting from the network. I cannot use FaceTime, iMessage, and MW and CC keep disconnecting in the middle of play! I can collect the money but by the time I go to vault it I get kicked off of the wifi. I also own a PS3 and HP Photosmart 5520 inkjet printer that seem to be functioning perfectly. Can someone please help me with this mess?

Is comcast in your area? Is so get it

Devin
05-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Can you get the 802.11g back? If it was working nicely it might be a good solution.

The first step would be to determine if its the wireless setup/configuration, the wireless frequencies (interference), the wired network, the new hardware, or Verizon that's causing you grief, or multiple elements - I.e. identify the source of failure. Add to it, the iPad mini and phone 5 have had wifi problems (I have a mini and to this day I need to reboot it sometimes to get it to behave right). Based on what you've said, I'd guess its a prob with the wireless, but the symptoms you describe could be any.

Some tips for wireless:
- don't try to put your wireless into stealth mode, or similar. It has nearly no value security wise and can break things.
- try a different wireless frequency if the default doesn't work
- set a new ssid for your network
- make sure all devices are actually on your wireless network (especially problematic if you and your neighbors all have the same wireless access point and nobody changes the defaults - you can end up on their network or flap between theirs and yours)
- use wpa2 (personal, or psk, as its often called). Set a non default password.
- I've had successes rebooting my iPad mini. Definitely update iPad to latest software from apple.

I am a cow
05-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Can you get the 802.11g back? If it was working nicely it might be a good solution.

The first step would be to determine if its the wireless setup/configuration, the wireless frequencies (interference), the wired network, the new hardware, or Verizon that's causing you grief, or multiple elements - I.e. identify the source of failure. Add to it, the iPad mini and phone 5 have had wifi problems (I have a mini and to this day I need to reboot it sometimes to get it to behave right). Based on what you've said, I'd guess its a prob with the wireless, but the symptoms you describe could be any.

Some tips for wireless:
- don't try to put your wireless into stealth mode, or similar. It has nearly no value security wise and can break things.
- try a different wireless frequency if the default doesn't work
- set a new ssid for your network
- make sure all devices are actually on your wireless network (especially problematic if you and your neighbors all have the same wireless access point and nobody changes the defaults - you can end up on their network or flap between theirs and yours)
- use wpa2 (personal, or psk, as its often called). Set a non default password.
- I've had successes rebooting my iPad mini. Definitely update iPad to latest software from apple.

What he said or you can you need to check that your internet or wifi is fully funtional that your cnnection is good

Procyon
05-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I understand about 10% of that but it sounds similar to something that happened to me.

I installed a wireless printer and unfortunately followed the instructions and used the WPA button on the router for the network to find it. It did, but I believe it also changed the network password b/c every other device in my house was booted off the network. I went into the router sys admin page, changed the password back and everything was fine for awhile.

There are 2 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 iPhones, 1 BB, 2 kindles, an Xbox, the printer and iPad on the network. All were fine but my iPad had the same thing. Kept getting booted. I tried everything including resetting it numerous times but nothing worked.

I trusted the 18 year old Best Buy employee when he surmised there was not enough bandwidth on my network for the router I had (or something like that). Not an endorsement but I bought a Netgear R6200 dual band router and everything has been fine since - knock on wood.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

Tito89
05-06-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm no genius but maybe the wifi is trying to connect to too many devices?

Agent Orange
05-06-2013, 06:55 AM
This feels like your default power setting is set too low however a quick google seems to indicate the fios is a pos.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20582752-Ditch-the-Actiontec-MI424WR-router

Personally I would just buy a good quality dual band router such as a Linksys. A d-Link we used to have had a similar issue you are having so we swapped it with a dual band and now our iMac is running at full speed.