PDA

View Full Version : Idea to discourage camping

MrL
04-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Firstly I am a bit of a camper ;)

I think it would be a good idea that the upgrade times to be cut in half every time you get 10 levels higher than when a building first became available.

Example: Beach Nightclub is available on level 52 so when someone gets to level 62 the upgrade times only take half of the time that would be usual.

Another idea would be that you would upgrade multiple buildings (2 or 3) simultaneously that are at least 20 levels below your current level.

I feel that these ideas would make the majority of campers change their tactics.

BigMoney
04-30-2013, 06:12 AM
I think the ability to generate income is only a small part of the reason people camp. Typically it's easier to generate income quicker at higher levels because (1) better buildings are available for you to build, and (2) better buildings are available for you to rob.

Personally, it's the boss events that got me to slam the brakes on leveling (that, and gaining a basic understanding of how the game works). I'm currently doing everything I can to stay under level 100, because the boss events provide such a huge opportunity to boost stats, and the Tier 5 boss is impossible for anyone to kill save for a select few players (let alone anyone just hitting level 100). I would really like to see some intermediate boss tiers.

MrL
04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
@BigMoney I agree that the Boss Events are a big part of the reason but I do feel that building up their hoods is a big part of it too.

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 06:20 AM
I think it would be a good idea that the upgrade times to be cut in half every time you get 10 levels higher than when a building first became available.

Example: Beach Nightclub is available on level 52 so when someone gets to level 62 the upgrade times only take half of the time that would be usual.

Oh yeah, this is for sure an excellent and carefully thought out idea.

And may I add that it is entirely possible that this will happen. #andthenyouwokeup

zwiswoo
04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Agree with BigMoney. Upgrading buildings and gaining IPH is great, but I'm currently at a stage where I can't really improve my attack/defense with cash items available at my level. The reason to go slow is simply to get many boss events done in tier 3, then in tier 4. Boss event items are much better than respect items, so the tradeoff between fighting (stats from respect items) and camping (stats from boss events) is a fairly simple one if you're willing to endure a certain degree of in-game flatness.

That being said, I really do like this idea of reducing upgrade times when the buildings in question are for a much lower level. Very innovative, and provides a useful bonus to leveling given that upgrade time is the scarce quantity (well, after gold obviously) in this game. One issue to deal with - some of the best buildings in the game (NC, lofts) aren't level-locked. Maybe the obvious solution works: you need 300 mafia to build NC, so you can say the "effective level" of a night club is 60, and upgrade times start going down the higher above that level you are.

Jazza
04-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Good idea, wish it would happen, but it wont. Only way building timers will ever be reduced is by either a. Using gold, or b. having a rare item ( which you probably used gold to earn )

mxz
04-30-2013, 07:36 AM
If Influence Points were based on the opponent level rather than the difference in levels that would go a long way in discouraging camping, as well.

Laundromats and t-shirt stands won't be safe until there's no longer a penalty that hurts where it matters most.

Dipstik
04-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Get rid of boss tiers. If you're tired of only beating the first two levels, then level up, get stronger, and beat more bosses. Watch how fast people level up then.

MrL
04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Get rid of boss tiers. If you're tired of only beating the first two levels, then level up, get stronger, and beat more bosses. Watch how fast people level up then.

I don't play MW but haven't they done something like this there?

Dipstik
04-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Beats me. It wouldn't surprise me because it's pretty much standard for every game ever made. You get stronger, you fight stronger enemies, you earn better loot.

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Beats me. It wouldn't surprise me because it's pretty much standard for every game ever made. You get stronger, you fight stronger enemies, you earn better loot.

The devs here have strived to give you a game not so standard. They should be applauded for their trailblazing ability within the gaming industry.

MrL
04-30-2013, 08:17 AM
If improving stats is the biggest reason for people staying on lower levels with the Boss Events an obvious resolution would be to have better weapons in the inventory store that you can buy??

Bala82
04-30-2013, 08:27 AM
If improving stats is the biggest reason for people staying on lower levels with the Boss Events an obvious resolution would be to have better weapons in the inventory store that you can buy??

I am really hoping limited time quest will make people level up faster

mxz
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
I am really hoping limited time quest will make people level up fasterSo you can rob their level 10 laundromats?

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 08:49 AM
So you can rob their level 10 laundromats?

You are assuming that everyone is smart enough to follow guru Bala's advice.

Bala82
04-30-2013, 09:42 AM
So you can rob their level 10 laundromats?

no so i can get some new units with better stats

Bala82
04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
You are assuming that everyone is smart enough to follow guru Bala's advice.

Who said anything about following my advise i was just giving an opinion.

Dipstik
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
We don't care about your opinions either.

Bala82
04-30-2013, 09:54 AM
We don't care about your opinions either.

can you feel the love LOL :)

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
can you feel the love LOL :)

What's so funny exactly?

He was being serious.

Tommy Two Toes
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't care if a laundromat is level 10 or level 3. I'm robbing it anyway. I only rob to get crates, and trigger bosses.

Are bosses a nice perk? sure.
Do I want to get my income up? Of course.

But the only reason I really camp (crawl, really) is simple...I leveled a character too soon, and after 3 months of camping to remediate the mistake, he still gets owned on a pretty regular basis. Camping is the only way to remain competitive with not just gold players, but other campers.

As to the idea of eliminating boss tiers: I think it would be a non-starter. IMO, a better solution to disincentive those who camp for the boss events would be simply offering better prizes at the higher tiers. They've done it before with collect 10 events (Evidence Burner, Roaster, Toaster etc) but I imagine it is more work, so its unlikely to become a common occurrence.

Dipstik
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
As to the idea of eliminating boss tiers: I think it would be a non-starter.

It's started. I started it. Calling it a "non-starter" is kind of meaningless, wouldn't you say? You don't like the idea... Great. Considering the picture in your signature, I'd say that's kind of the point.

Tommy Two Toes
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
It's started. I started it. Calling it a "non-starter" is kind of meaningless, wouldn't you say?

I consider myself one of the few here that appreciates your dry sarcasm; so forgive me if I don't throw my fists in the air, or fall down crying.

Bala82
04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Good on you Tommy i never let him bother me as well :)

Molokini420
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know if attacking the DL or hideout gives you XP?

Dipstik
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Good on you Tommy i never let him bother me as well :)

Learn to engrish, bala.

nopenopenope
04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know if attacking the DL or hideout gives you XP?

Why don't you post this in more threads so we can continue to ignore you...

zwiswoo
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Learn to engrish, bala.

Seriously? There's whimsy and silliness, and there's just being a prick.

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Seriously? There's whimsy and silliness, and there's just being a prick.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag96/qwerty9702/image_zps7d21a8ea.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/qwerty9702/media/image_zps7d21a8ea.jpg.html)

Molokini420
04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Why don't you post this in more threads so we can continue to ignore you...

It was just a question, ****.

nopenopenope
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
It was just a question, ****.Try hijacking another thread, hole.

Carlos Norris
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
It was just a question, ****.

Hey watch the attitude fella. And we could do without the foul mouth too.

psxnitro
04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
why all the hate for campers... there is enough people going up in levels without a care about boss tiers, and IPH...

Aeternitas
04-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Shortening building upgrade times as you gain in levels doesn't do very much to dissuade camping and incentivize gaining xp. Besides, it serves campers even more when they decide they have camped as long as they possibly could and have to break out since they are in Tier 5 of the Boss events anyway. Oops, did I just call your bluff? Just kidding.

Just de-incentivize camping by removing Boss tiers. Campers gain about 10k att and def for each boss event if they beat the boss till level 40. That just removes any need for gaining xp or maybe even respect points. While waiting every 3-4 weeks for their favorite boss events, they are upgrading their buildings. I've never come across a poor camper so shortening building upgrade times as u gain levels (or xp) does not de-incentivize camping. If removing Boss tiers is not ideal, then reintroduce lower stats items for lower tiers. If that is too much work, then remove the Boss tiers. My point is, something has to be done to the current Boss tiers as it unbalances the game too greatly.

Still, this does not do much to incentivize gaining experience and exploring the world of Crime City. Some suggestions:
i. Provide a (larger) multiplier to a player's stats based on his experience points
ii. Allow players to purchase special items using experience points
iii. Allow players to convert experience points into respect points

kingofwale
05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
people are making fun of me for robbing their loft/t-shirt stand/house while leaving their NC alone.

Why??? Why would I want to gain those experience? At 2.5 mil per and 134k attack, Every experience I earn is one that's going against me.

No thanks!!

johnbaum
05-01-2013, 06:57 AM
i don t see anybad in a camper account

Dipstik
05-01-2013, 07:42 AM
For those who seem to be confused about this (somehow), the problem isn't that campers are doing anything wrong. The problem is that the game has an inherent design flaw that makes camping a good idea in the first place. There should be incentives for gaining experience and leveling up, not penalties. I think that should be fixed (I know... I know... it's really a moot point), but I really don't care what you do. It's not an "attack on campers," it's an idea to improve the game.

I have a camper account myself... it's 30 days old. I played one day of one boss event right after creating it, and I went through 18 levels with no problems at all. Next time I finished 32 bosses. I haven't camped for months building my stats with scratchers and cash items... I just made a new character fresh out of the box. That's not right.

Molokini420
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey watch the attitude fella. And we could do without the foul mouth too.

Oh my bad...how about:

**** You, you pretentious ****. Stop being an elitest prick. It's no wonder your old syndicate thinks you're a douchebag. You can suck on both of my nuts.

Better?

Carlos Norris
05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Oh my bad...how about:

**** You, you pretentious ****. Stop being an elitest prick. It's no wonder your old syndicate thinks you're a douchebag. You can suck on both of my nuts.

Better?

Well, not really. You have evaded the language filters and derided a fellow forum member, both of which are clear violations of the posting guidelines. Hopefully CJ sees your post and deals with you accordingly, there is no place on this forum for behavior like yours. And to think we were just trying to help you out.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag96/qwerty9702/mad_zpsbdd65ca2.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/qwerty9702/media/mad_zpsbdd65ca2.jpg.html)