PDA

View Full Version : War on Terror you say?

ohgreatitsryan
04-19-2013, 01:28 PM
So, GREE.
I see our new event is called "War on Terror."
I have to ask: really?
Do you think that's the best idea?
The marathon bombing, the 'ricin' being sent around and the current events in Boston give you that idea?
Or did you come up with it all on your own?
Are you trying to capitalize on these events?
Or do you just not know what's going on around you?

You should probably think about it.

Maybe change it.

For now, all that can really be said about it is:

Poor form GREE. Poor form.

United Nation of Foxes
04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm baffled as to why they chose this event name.

ohgreatitsryan
04-19-2013, 01:35 PM
When you're scrambling to actually make things work on time, I guess you don't care what name you use?

Thenoob
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Well Ireland has been known for terrorism in the past I don't think Boston has to do with it that much. But what do I know. But what I do know is an Irish car bomb is I good shooter lol

ohgreatitsryan
04-19-2013, 01:40 PM
While I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole of Ireland has been known for terrorism, I understand what you mean, and it would be one thing if the name had actually been up this entire time....
....but it wasn't.
They put it up today.

BSG123
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm baffled as to why they chose this event name.

I'm baffled that an admin addressed the event's timeframe, but questions asked, mere minutes later, about the event's type are ignored.

Durt McGurt
04-19-2013, 01:43 PM
As some one who currently lives in the suburbs of Boston....poor timing Gree. Don't worry I will just send support a ticket to discuss.

DuB
Please get over it. It is a game. The pvP part of the game revolves around fighting terrorists. It's not that I am heartless, I'm just tired of people with such thin skin. The name was probably chosen weeks ago and changed with a data push.

mickymacirl
I had already spoke to CJ about naming units and the event in appropriate terms in relation to the whole terrorist aspect of the battle for Ireland, and in all fairness, he listened and got them changed.

I can only assume this naming has escaped his attention.

PIRATE JUSTICE
04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
It's rumored that ...... CLASSIFIED .........

General Soviet
04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
This isn't a good name for any event. I'm hoping that when we get to the Middle Eastern countries, Gree watches what they name the units and events, cause it could go bad in many ways.

sherlock123
04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
If the sensational corporate media is allowed to capitalize on the recent bombings then why can't gree do it ?

After all we are living in a capitalist society that is run by money not feelings.

Oceanz
04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
While all my thoughts and condolences go to the people in the Massachusetts area who were killed and injured, the premise of this whole app is to buy weapons (units) and kill people (other members) while bombing their bases and buildings. If you have such a problem with it based on recent events, why play the app in the first place.

Max Power
04-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Is there not an ongoing war on terror? I don't get what the problem is. It's a war game. You would hink we would be the last people to complain about this.

Of course, even the people complaining will prolly chillax if the prizes are anything like the last event...LOL!

Procyon
04-19-2013, 02:22 PM
@DuB. I typically agree with people being thin skinned and to get over it. And yeh, in the end this is just a game. And yes, they couldn't have possibly known what would happen in Boston this week, although I think the name for the event just came out today.

But I'm more questioning using this name while the WD Battle is in Ireland. Many of us first became aware of the newly defined term of "terror" with the struggles in Ireland. I suppose there aren't many countries these days that haven't been touched by "terror" but I guess I'm thinking why even broach the topic?

Maybe the event naming meeting was scheduled for President's Day.

Durt McGurt
04-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Please get over it. It is a game. The pvP part of the game revolves around fighting terrorists. It's not that I am heartless, I'm just tired of people with such thin skin. The name was probably chosen weeks ago and changed with a data push.

I am over it. I have sent my ticket to support. I trust I will hear from them within a day or so. As far as my skin is concerned, it is of average depth.

Yankster
04-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I think its more of a moral issue than skin depth. Yes it is only a game, perhaps the naming and timing of the event might not be the best suited.

ohgreatitsryan
04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Some suggest this was planned well in advance. If so, why change the name and dates of the event at the last minute, rather than in a previous dataset?
Do we really have any reason to believe, and I can't think of one so correct me if I'm wrong, that anything they implement has been "planned/scheduled for weeks?"
Maybe I missed something that indicated that.

The Mole
04-19-2013, 03:07 PM
what is mean war to terros?

The Mole
04-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Is there not an ongoing war on terror? I don't get what the problem is. It's a war game. You would hink we would be the last people to complain about this.

Of course, even the people complaining will prolly chillax if the prizes are anything like the last event...LOL!

yes of course the worse

KFH
04-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree this is in very poor taste especially I your in the Boston are right now. Being gold to stay inside and not open your door for anyone except law official. Yeah this was a poor choice gree, very poor

FROGBUTT1111
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
While all my thoughts and condolences go to the people in the Massachusetts area who were killed and injured, the premise of this whole app is to buy weapons (units) and kill people (other members) while bombing their bases and buildings. If you have such a problem with it based on recent events, why play the app in the first place.

Agreed. It's a war ON terror, not an event where we get to role play AS terrorists. That would be offensive IMO. Seeing as that many of us are pissed off about the Boston event, why not let off a little steam on a harmless game with virtual terrorists . And, (let's face it folks) this is the same game that allows us to gun down people bearing our same flag.

Virtual domestic terrorism, no?
As a proud USA citizen, I say anytime is a good time for a war on terror.

The Mole
04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
i was wonder why this is the war?

GREE Official Updates
04-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone, out of respect of the people affected in Boston we are in process of changing the name of the event. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for offending anyone.

Web323
04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone, out of respect of the people affected we are in process of changing the name of the event. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for offending anyone.

What type of event will it be?

OwainCymro
04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone, out of respect of the people affected in Boston we are in process of changing the name of the event. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for offending anyone.
Thank you, I know this will mean a lot to some of the players.

The Mole
04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
i think good name be No Terror or Peace Be With You

Golf4life
04-19-2013, 04:22 PM

I think this was an Excellent political and financial decison by Gree.

Glad to know you are still listening.

CDR Shepard
04-19-2013, 04:55 PM
FFP think better name...War on Customer.

Lol, is the grand prize an ip ban and a complete disregard for your opinions?

GREE Official Updates
04-19-2013, 05:46 PM
The name of the event will change to "Operation Wolf". It will be updated in game soon.

negotiator
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
FFP think better name...War on Customer.

Well done!

ColoradoBC
04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't the event named immediately after the last WD event,(the list of future events up to Ireland are posted in game) putting the naming of this long before the current events unfolded? If so, you guys are blaming them for capitalizing on nothing, and your making a fuss and capitalizing your own agenda

Alaneapen
04-19-2013, 07:58 PM
People have such thin skin, get over it

PITA4PRES
04-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't the event named immediately after the last WD event,(the list of future events up to Ireland are posted in game) putting the naming of this long before the current events unfolded? If so, you guys are blaming them for capitalizing on nothing, and your making a fuss and capitalizing your own agenda

This was originally listed as a crate event until earlier tdoay, but they just switched gears and made it a LTQ.

ppownage
04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
my event says operation wolf!! :0

DuB
04-19-2013, 11:41 PM
I am over it. I have sent my ticket to support. I trust I will hear from them within a day or so. As far as my skin is concerned, it is of average depth.

Glad you made it out with your skin intact. Really hope that they acted alone and this is the end of everything. Man hug?

WI(AusNz)
04-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Don't sweat it Gree! We cannot always please everyone or understand how people will interpret these things or take offence. For the record, I think you did the right thing to change it though.

Justdavew32
04-20-2013, 12:30 AM
When the Ireland event came out Gree had some of the units and a couple of the games named RIRA. For everyone's information RIRA stands for Real Irish Republican Army. They are a terrorist organisation in Ireland and have killed many innocent people and committed the worst terrorist atrocity in Ireland in Omagh. Killing 26 people. Now that was offensive. Personally an event named War on terror at any other time would not have caused offence but they have made the right decision on changing it now during this sensitive time.

Padabatrat
04-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Apparently it's called operation wolf now?!?

Shawshank
04-20-2013, 05:51 AM
A developer creates a game called "Stop the Bad Guy". But tragically, bad guys keep doing bad things in real life.

Should the developer pull the game?

You are playing a game about WAR and its supposed to take place in a MODERN time frame. Almost every unit in your game inventory is based off of machinery that is designed to KILL, and operated by individuals who are trained to KILL.

If it bothers you, don't play it. Just ignore all the ugly things in life, listen to Justin beiber and wear expensive rosé colored glasses made in sweatshops in Asia.

My heart goes out to those in Boston effected by this tragedy. It's sad that these things happen.

The_Don
04-20-2013, 05:57 AM

Exactly. No one had any trouble "invading" foreign countries.

Bravo Zulu
04-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Exactly. No one had any trouble "invading" foreign countries.

Except we aren't really invading foreign countries, we are fighting each other for "control" over those countries. Make no mistake, this is a war game for sure where we attack and raid, and buy weapons to do so. But even in game- we are comforting to the "hapless citizen" and we reassure the "village elder." Game or no game, are we really going to steamroll over the top of some people just trying their best to show respect? Are we going to say they need "thicker skin" against being horrified about bombs in crowds of innocent people that kill eight year olds with nails and other deadly fragments? In the end, what the event name is does not change anything, but the people playing the events do.

In other countries, where what happened in Boston is common, they have had to develop thick skin. They are no longer surprised or shocked when a bomb goes off on a bus or in a market. I am not looking forward to that day here in this country. I don't want us to ever get to a place where even playing a game we turn a blind eye to the messages that game sends as a representation of our culture. The war on terror in real life is a war on ideology, on a way of thinking, against people use fear as a means to communicate their rage for trespasses both real and imagined. But it is not war, and the people who leave bombs in crowds at a marathon are not soldiers as much as they would like to think they are. And of course we can point to incidents were our military has behaved badly, but gives the hundreds of thousands of military we send into other countries, and regardless of some people's perception that we use our military to bully, we never intentionally kill innocent people and children who are watching a race. I was in the military myself, and I can tell you certainly that first and foremost our military members have agreed to potentially sacrifice their own lives believing that their presence in another country might make the United States safer.

You can agree or disagree with whether it will, but do not miss my point. Those men and women we send to other countries are willing to die because they think being there will make YOU safer. That is the backdrop of the war game I play here. I am pitted against other military. If tomorrow gree chose to have us actually invade a foreign country, or gave us the option to bomb innocent cities or civilians, I would delete the app instantly.

Lets not, EVER, equate our military with what happened in Boston, or suggest we should have thicker skin because we play a military based war game. There are real militaries that kill real enemies during real war and still remain shocked and horrified by the planes flying into the World Trade Center or bombs during the Boston Marathon.

It is tragic and sad, and I for one am glad that people here do not want a game where we are less than sensitive about the suffering of others. What is wrong with erring on the side of caution and changing a name of an event out of respect?

Palas
04-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Well said, nothing else necessary to add