PDA

View Full Version : Would you quit Modern War if there was a similar game without gold?

American Capitalist
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Obviously the game would have to make money, but it would be an initial purchase rather than a free app with tons of in-app purchases. It seems like many people on this forum are free players and many people on this forum are tired of spending money only to end up losing to people spending more money and hackers.

Dry
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Well ,, hmm. ,, daa ,, do

scurvynaive
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
i am going to go against common opinion and say no. does it annoy me that i will never be able to compete with the big spenders? sure.

Do I wish that Gree did a better job of hunting down and deleting hackers? Absolutely!

but in my experience free games are put out 'as is' meaning that the game you buy is the game that will always be there with no change. say goodbye to events, goodbye to WD, and goodbye to updates/new content of any kind.

don't get me wrong, I am just as annoyed as anyone else with the level of content being put out by Gree. Especially as an android user, those problems are well documented, but the fact of the matter is that a pay up front and then play for free business model simply does not allow enough cashflow to do anything other than maintain the game in place.

as much as we may hate gold and everything that comes with it, programming and customer support,(yes i said customer support, stop laughing) even slow customer support, comes at a cost that cannot be maintained by new subscribers.

Golf4life
04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Obviously the game would have to make money, but it would be an initial purchase rather than a free app with tons of in-app purchases. It seems like many people on this forum are free players and many people on this forum are tired of spending money only to end up losing to people spending more money and hackers.

its called modern warfare and its for you console system

ProCision
04-18-2013, 05:26 AM
There aren't any hackers so there wouldnt be any hackers in that game.

Agent Orange
04-18-2013, 06:42 AM
i am going to go against common opinion and say no. does it annoy me that i will never be able to compete with the big spenders? sure.

Do I wish that Gree did a better job of hunting down and deleting hackers? Absolutely!

but in my experience free games are put out 'as is' meaning that the game you buy is the game that will always be there with no change. say goodbye to events, goodbye to WD, and goodbye to updates/new content of any kind.

don't get me wrong, I am just as annoyed as anyone else with the level of content being put out by Gree. Especially as an android user, those problems are well documented, but the fact of the matter is that a pay up front and then play for free business model simply does not allow enough cashflow to do anything other than maintain the game in place.

as much as we may hate gold and everything that comes with it, programming and customer support,(yes i said customer support, stop laughing) even slow customer support, comes at a cost that cannot be maintained by new subscribers.

The question wasn't really about being a free game but about eliminating the buy your way to the top strategy.

The logical way would be to charge a fee up front since running a game costs money, re well maybe not spending on support.... But servers etc.

Otherwise there is limited strategy here so IMHO I would not classify MW as much of a strategy game currently but more of a survival game for those without deep pockets. Pity since the game has some real potential and some of these recent events have really added back into the game.

But realistically they are a victim of their own success and as long as the cow is producing 'milk' they aren't going to change.

scurvynaive
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Sorry but I don't think you understood my post agent orange.

I never said anything about free games. My entire post assumed a game where you pay up front, probably around $5 or so being a typical charge for a mobile game.

$5 per customer is simply not enough for new content and ongoing events. $5 is enough to earn back what you paid your staff to develop the game and maintain servers etc.

Further problems would be that less people would play. Many people are willing to try out a 'free' game and then if the game is good enough they get hooked and spend money but if you ask people to pay up front then the player base will drop dramatically.

And if that wasn't enough there is the 'incentive' problem ie if you are the owner of a business and no one is paying you after that initial purchase, what is the incentive to develop new content for your users? They already paid so what will they give you if you improve the product? A pat on the back I suppose. Nice for the soul but costly for the wallet.

ConnorD123
04-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Probably not.. To far in the game right now. If people want to spend money on this game let them.. Everything is about money.. So gl finding a game where you can't pay to get ahead.

Thief
04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
The idea has been brought up but what about a Subscription program? Bad Example but anyone remember WoW? $15 dollars a month and it made soo much money.

You get additional Bonuses by being part of the program for $5-$10 a month....but it's free to play/download.

Chilli!
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
The idea has been brought up but what about a Subscription program? Bad Example but anyone remember WoW? $15 dollars a month and it made soo much money.

You get additional Bonuses by being part of the program for $5-$10 a month....but it's free to play/download.

Yup a subscription is the way forward. Start off free for 2 weeks to a month to get players interested then charge subscription to continue playing. With bonus content available as thief mentioned.

jay_usher
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
search for war commander on facebook its modern war without gold, in sum respect you can get somthing to get buildings built quicker but not golden armies :)

Dhavidz2
04-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I have to say, I can understand why there have to be in app purchases for free games apps, but this takes the p!ss. Most games you can buy in app elements for 60p, something that most people can afford, particularly when ps 2 and x box games cost 30 or 40 quid.....but....gold is 2.99 for 50 and one high attack vehicle is 850 gold, putting the cost for one vehicle at £36 quid....that's madness, you're looking at £1000 to kit out a good army...what's going on here? Have the developers made some kind of cock up in the conversions? Does anyone actually pay out that kind of cash?

ertrifo
04-18-2013, 07:07 PM
I know other war strategy games wich are actually better then MW and you can be a free player or pay to have advanced features and they also support web browsing to play the game from your PC, iPhone, iPad, etc.
They have factions, alliances, ingame money, and many more features.
I have been playing a couple of this games for a long time till I've been conquered, but they are very addictive as well so I will not post the names here
The only subscription you pay is to activate the advanced features that gives you more control on your account, you can still opt to not to pay and play only with basic features which makes you less competitive but you are still able to play the game
There is not cheaters, the customer support is excellent and in any case their subscription fees is ridiculous compared to what we pay here