PDA

View Full Version : WHY we continue to play

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm curious why we all continue to play...

It's obvious the vast majority of us are beyond pulling out our hair and are fed up with Gree(d), the game bugs, and the lack of customer service.

So i'm curious what do you think it is that makes us stick around and not move on to one of the millions of other games or forms of entertainment? I do know quite a few people who have moved on, but many have remained and are just stressed and annoyed constantly.

I'm one of them! More than likely I have not left because of the time, effort & money I've already invested and the flicker of light at the end of the tunnel hoping they aren't jumping around in an inflatable bounce house in the Gree Mega offices and are actually working on making it a better product versus plotting how to extract more money out of us. What about you? /End Transmission>

"T"
03-21-2013, 07:06 AM
I think you said it Milspec, it's the time and money. It's hard for a lot of people to walk away from that.

I also think that being part of a faction is another big reason.

Gritix
03-21-2013, 07:06 AM
This isn't Facebook and honestly no one cares what you have to say, this is a place to learn and help each other not complain. If you want to complain email Gree because this constant crying by the same people is geting really old.

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
You sir are a moron. This was to open a discussion about why we play the game and stick with it. It has nothing to do with you, your mom, or your lack of brains. If you don't like a thread then stay out of it and go play with your barbies.

For everyone else this is just to open up some general talks about something we all share in common, and enjoy but are frustrated by at the same time, and why we keep playing.

This isn't Facebook and honestly no one cares what you have to say, this is a place to learn and help each other not complain. If you want to complain email Gree because this constant crying by the same people is geting really old.

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
You're absolutely right Factions are a big part of it, without mine I'd be long gone. It's the brotherhood that comes along with it.

I think you said it Milspec, it's the time and money. It's hard for a lot of people to walk away from that.

I also think that being part of a faction is another big reason.

Agent Orange
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
I've always been a free player, makes the challenge that much greater.

The better question is "Why continue to PAY to play"......

Arnaud
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Many people will always complain no matter what GREE does: some wants things to change and others want things to go back the way they were before.

The people who are trying to warn GREE because players are leaving the game make me laugh (not talking about you Milspec1): honestly don't you think they know their business better than you guys? We know how to play, they know how to make profits out of it. GREE will take actions if they see a decrease in stats or revenues, not if people are complaining (esp since those players are complaining but never really leaving).

On the other hand, I agree that they should offer us the possibility of contributing to the roadmap. Thousands of players will always have more ideas than a few developers. Then, all they have to do is pick and choose the ideas they think are relevant... Also, they should always communicate in advance before they release updates/changes instead of doing it hoping no one will notice: by now they should know that players always find out sooner or later!

Personally, I play because I like the game, not because I invested time nor money in it. It just entertains me during my free time. I adapt my way of playing according to the changes GREE implements, that's it and I'm just fine!

Devin
03-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Additional ideas to those presented.

1. Some are addicted. Mw does have an element of gambling, and I see many similar traits.

2. As said, some people will complain no matter what. I've been picking on the campers for complaining lots of late.

3. This particular forum is a festering ground of negativity. I doubt there's a single thing gree could do that wouldn't cause a backlash.

4. Some of us still find the challenge fun and good entertainment :)

5. There's a whole lot of people who don't understand what being a business is, what drives it, etc., and fight it/ disrespect it with respect to gree. There's no sense complaining that business is profit driven... It is.

For the people that fall into category 1, they're not going anywhere until something makes them snap out of it. For the ones that enjoy the entertainment, they stay because of fun. I don't know why the others stay.

Arnaud
03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I agree with you 100% Devin.

The people who are complaining think they are smarter than anyone else just because they think they see pb that GREE does not but they don't know anything about running this kind of business. They just see it through the eyes of an end-user.

Honestly, who is smarter: the player that keeps complaining or the company that manages to make that same player keep spending money although he is unhappy?

Gritix
03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
You sir are a moron. This was to open a discussion about why we play the game and stick with it. It has nothing to do with you, your mom, or your lack of brains. If you don't like a thread then stay out of it and go play with your barbies.

For everyone else this is just to open up some general talks about something we all share in common, and enjoy but are frustrated by at the same time, and why we keep playing.
You must have insecurity problems if you had to insult me through a pm and on your own topic, get real child and smell the fresh air.

Ssne
03-21-2013, 08:16 AM
You must have insecurity problems if you had to insult me through a pm and on your own topic, get real child and smell the fresh air.

Well I don't know either of you, but I would say that the OP started a decent enough thread and you took it upon yourself to tell him that no one cares what he thinks and to stop crying. It's ironic to hear you now complaining about insults.

Gritix
03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Well I don't know either of you, but I would say that the OP started a decent enough thread and you took it upon yourself to tell him that no one cares what he thinks and to stop crying. It's ironic to hear you now complaining about insults.
I wasn't complaining I was stating the fact he must have insecurity problems, try reading slower and you will understand.

Ssne
03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
I wasn't complaining I was stating the fact he must have insecurity problems, try reading slower and you will understand.

My point still stands. You were a jack-a (maybe you are just having a bad day), and now you are posting about other people's insecurities. Go read your first response to the OP again and maybe re-think about posting that kind of crap. You want the forum to get better, change starts at home.

Gritix
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
It's the burning feeling deep inside that prevents you from walking away. You know you can't stop because it will burrrrrrn! Burrrrrn! Ahahaha!

My point still stands. You were a jack-a (maybe you are just having a bad day), and now you are posting about other people's insecurities. Go read your first response to the OP again and maybe re-think about posting that kind of crap. You want the forum to get better, change starts at home.
I'm stating the facts/obvious people complain everyday about the game and yes it has flaws but do you really have to post it? This fourm isn't used to complain and that's exactly what is going on. You said "change starts at home" well what do you think I meant by my first post? If you have a problem it doesn't belong on here, it's pretty much spam.

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
It's called DISCUSSION FORUM why is that so hard to understand? You're the only one spamming, just go away dude nobody wants to hear it, what a negative prick

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm stating the facts/obvious people complain everyday about the game and yes it has flaws but do you really have to post it? This fourm isn't used to complain and that's exactly what is going on. You said "change starts at home" well what do you think I meant by my first post? If you have a problem it doesn't belong on here, it's pretty much spam.

Hey TROLL

So you don't post your problems with the game?

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?47735-Race-to-250!&p=630680&viewfull=1#post630680
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?47295-Ammo-Box-Collect-10!&p=629101&viewfull=1#post629101
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?46715-Gree-Before-the-next-Boss-Event-make-adjustments-for-levels-151&p=612471#post612471

Called out for spamming here: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?44969-The-Real-MOFFO-s&p=576367#post576367

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?30851-It-s-time-for...-What-grinds-your-gears-(peter-griffin-thread-lmao)&p=263656&viewfull=1#post263656

More complaining: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?32360-Rip-off-new-quot-valour-quot-satellite-unit&p=263563#post263563

Now really kid just go away

Anyways sorry guys back on topic.. thoughts?

njemt242
03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
As a free player (spent less than $100 for gold, had to have a composites factory) I find the challange and my faction is what keeps me here. My faction is a great group of people and they make it a lot of fun. As for the challange I find its not only the game itself but also the personal things I want to achieve. Whether its certain stats or boss's to beat or whatever. I am new to these forums and I love these open discussion threads. I just love how a lot of people on here have a degree in psychology and can know what everyone else is thinking and everyone else's insecurities. Sorry for that, back on topic. I have 2 accounts. The one on my motorola razr is almost unplayable due to the constant crashing. My kindle fire can't get any updates. I stay for the fun, the people and the hopes that in the near future both of my devices will work properly and I can have the full MW experience

Durt McGurt
03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
To complete Death Ops before actual death.

Dutchie
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey TROLL

So you don't post your problems with the game?

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?47735-Race-to-250!&p=630680&viewfull=1#post630680
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?47295-Ammo-Box-Collect-10!&p=629101&viewfull=1#post629101
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?46715-Gree-Before-the-next-Boss-Event-make-adjustments-for-levels-151&p=612471#post612471

Called out for spamming here: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?44969-The-Real-MOFFO-s&p=576367#post576367

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?30851-It-s-time-for...-What-grinds-your-gears-(peter-griffin-thread-lmao)&p=263656&viewfull=1#post263656

More complaining: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?32360-Rip-off-new-quot-valour-quot-satellite-unit&p=263563#post263563

Now really kid just go away

Anyways sorry guys back on topic.. thoughts?

Nice one Milspec!

The only thing that is preventing me from dropping this game is the faction and the great group of people we have in our faction.

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
To complete Death Ops before actual death.

LOL that's your entire goal now Durt? LOL

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Right there with ya Dutchie, brilliant move on their part ehh? I think it's really a common thread among all of us

Nice one Milspec!

The only thing that is preventing me from dropping this game is the faction and the great group of people we have in our faction.

JMS
03-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Same here. Also the reason I spend $. The competition and the comrades. Oh, and the mindless entertainment.

Dutchie
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Right there with ya Dutchie, brilliant move on their part ehh? I think it's really a common thread among all of us

Genius move!

Bravo Zulu
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm curious why we all continue to play...

It's obvious the vast majority of us are beyond pulling out our hair and are fed up with Gree(d), the game bugs, and the lack of customer service.

So i'm curious what do you think it is that makes us stick around and not move on to one of the millions of other games or forms of entertainment? I do know quite a few people who have moved on, but many have remained and are just stressed and annoyed constantly.

I'm one of them! More than likely I have not left because of the time, effort & money I've already invested and the flicker of light at the end of the tunnel hoping they aren't jumping around in an inflatable bounce house in the Gree Mega offices and are actually working on making it a better product versus plotting how to extract more money out of us. What about you? /End Transmission>

I am pretty new to the forums. I like this thread- because I have been increasingly fascinated watching how the tone has changed since BfB. I will say up front, I'm a psychologist in a prison. Obviously, human behavior holds an interest for me. Whenever I am looking for answers I look carefully at myself, and this question of why I play has preoccupied me for some time. I can only share what I have come up with- and maybe it will speak to you too. I spent very light gold- maybe one or two vaults for LE sets before BfB. I watched the forum in the background, mostly for tips and tricks, or to figure out strategy. I liked this game, because it wasn't just a simple tap tap game- it did require some thought. I joined a faction because it was there- not really knowing why per se. Then came BfB. It was a blast. I spent like 5 vaults of gold in that 60% off sale- heck, it was only like 100 dollars more expensive than 2 regular priced vaults. And the gold bonus! Wow. I justified it by saying I would have enough gold for a year! Ah, but I was wrong. Two things happened- I got caught in the competition, and two- I got caught up in the community. Zing!! I think certain personalities are attracted to this game- I don't want to build a village of peaceniks or singing monsters, no matter how cute they are. Attack, check. Raid, check. Oh and now battle? Double check. Strategy took on a new level. But then it set in for me. I found myself getting caught up in what I deserve. If I spend money, I deserve a return on my investment. I deserve a faction where all members try as hard as me. I deserve something I could not quite put my finger on- oh there it is: I deserve a shot at winning. Competition brings out the beast in me (well, ok, like a tiny beast but still). I started getting disgruntled and impatient (fix those bugs, answer those tickets, this or that is not fair). The next battle was not as fun, more frustrating, and I resented not having (but needing) to spend the same money for gold again to hold our place. I did not spend the money again, and our position did not change. I decidedly was not having fun. The thrill of figuring out something new (like the extra hit you get if you wait one minute) or finding a new strategy was gone. I felt hurried and pressured to upgrade, build, increase my stats... I even switched factions- and that is when I realized I felt possessed. I switched with a friend from my first faction- then had the chance to get into a much higher ranked faction. I took it. In the same day. But as I realized (with awe actually, they were a well oiled machine) how organized they were, I figured out factions, after the first battle, had brought with it a sense of feeling compelled. After all, others were relying on me right? So after some back and forth with that friend (thankfully he is wise), I switched back to his faction and have been trying to remember why I liked the game. It still pokes at me, and I have moments where I think about being in a higher ranked faction. Mostly because I still would like to think about winning. I think the fact that I knew, aside from getting into PUN, that winning was off the board, was what ate at me the most. It isn't the "trinkets" as some would call them. It's just that I like to win. When I played alone- each successful attack or raid was a win. Cool. Now, each war has become another chance I can't win. Each war is another time I already know the outcome. It's not PUN's fault, or Grees fault. I'm sure PUN wants to win too (although whatever gave me that idea I'm not sure... Lol) and gree is a business. The goal of a business is to get the consumer to spend money. People can be disrespectful to each other, or complain about gree, but we all know that unless something changes the outcome is going to be the same- except for a rearrangement of sorts within each tier.

Why do I still play? I think in the end, I want to somehow recapture the thrill of that first war. You know, before I knew the outcome. Before I knew that my faction could hit that button for 5 days straight but without the money we would never occupy that top spot. There are positive and negative aspects of competition. But that knowledge took away the thrilling part of competition and just left the negative side that all competitions will engender. Sure, I've invested time and money. And yes, I have fun with my faction. But that not secretly why I stay. Secretly, I stay because I am a gambler- not with money but with optimism. I stay because I can't quite give up hope that maybe there is a way to actually win. If there is, I'm sure I can find it. And before I get too many laughs- yes, I'm being nice to call it optimism. I suppose my grandma would call that line of thought foolhardy. Either way, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

I'm just glad human behavior (including mine) doesn't make sense. I'd so be out of a job.

Jhenry02
03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I still think it's fun.
But then again I'm crazy

Jhenry02
03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Wow should have read the post before mine.
Oh well at least it helps establish an insanity plea.

-J

v8mustang
03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't get why people have problem with the game. Must be doing something wrong.

I do mine just fine. I don't invest too much money. I do things right. I do my parts normally. Those who have problem probably put too much time on the game.

One thing I know for sure Gree needs to do is fix their customer service. Took over a month to finally respond all my tickets.

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Interesting job, and it must be just like being at work here :p That being said it's much of the reason why I started the thread, the psychology of why we still play even though we are often mistreated and unhappy with the platform and company. It's intriguing

I am pretty new to the forums. I like this thread- because I have been increasingly fascinated watching how the tone has changed since BfB. I will say up front, I'm a psychologist in a prison.

spitfire
03-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice one Milspec!

+1

Faction is what keeps me going.

NaRciS
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I had to kick myself hard to stop spending money, the wife kicked even harder...

Factions, what a great idea, to attach players... I have formed new friendships with my 24 members that go beyond the game already, I just think we ar being pushed a little to hard...

The marketing dept at gree are fantastic, they got it so right with Egypt, by getting the top factions to discuss not taken part, everyone thought that maybe there was a chance to do better, unfortunately there wasn't much change in the normal participation however factions had already started spending more money on gold which is why the wd points were so high.... It worked out fantastic or gree ( I say well done ) that got it bang on!

So lets go again... No one will know the outcome of whether the marketing dept has got it right or wrong again until we see the wd scores for the next event if there higher we have nothing to discuss in the future on these matters.

I think milspec, as well as anyone has the right to discuss any game matters on this forum, that's the propose of the community surely....

My personal answer to your valued question - factions

Fudge Packer
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
+1

Faction is what keeps me going.

Totally agree spit!!!

commander Don
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Totally agree, play the game or do not.. DONT be such a negative repetitive mood hoover. You choose what you do in your life, try to make the most of that freedom...

Bravo Zulu
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I still think it's fun.
But then again I'm crazy

Me too. And apparently wordy... LOL

Bravo Zulu
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Interesting job, and it must be just like being at work here :p That being said it's much of the reason why I started the thread, the psychology of why we still play even though we are often mistreated and unhappy with the platform and company. It's intriguing

Where is here Milspec1? I'm glad you started the thread. Aside from people assuming the question was a complaint, instead of a reflection, it's one of the most interesting. Something to actually talk about- which is what I used to read several months ago. :)

Milspec1
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Here being the forum lol. Appreciate that, glad some of you understood the concept and what is being pondered.

Where is here Milspec1? I'm glad you started the thread. Aside from people assuming the question was a complaint, instead of a reflection, it's one of the most interesting. Something to actually talk about- which is what I used to read several months ago. :)

Scotch Ego
03-21-2013, 04:59 PM
We're all in denial of reality.

Bravo Zulu
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Here being the forum lol. Appreciate that, glad some of you understood the concept and what is being pondered.

Ah yes! Hehe. I had never thought about it like that- but you pretty much nailed it. Probably how the conceptual aspect of your post caught my attention. It lacks the general rambling of the obtuse... And it was free of denigrating remarks involving female parts (which why does it gotta be female parts when a guy wants to call another guy weak or a coward?).

P.S. in case it wasn't clear to some who might run with it- that was pretty much a rhetorical question. Don't want to get off topic- especially because there actually is a topic. ;)

Zach3432
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I play because I got tired of another online game that makes the time consumption of MW seem minuscule. I was good, but it felt like work ALL of the time. I get the same out of MW that I had of the previously mentioned game. I don't have to always be online for MW and can do a lot more relaxing. I enjoy the (mostly) friendly competition and just roll with the changes, for better or worse. MW gave me a better balance and does not ask nearly as much of me to be successful. I'm still a new player, but enjoy the game and don't have as much time or money attached as many here.

PIRATE JUSTICE
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Factions aren't great, they're just okay.

hoho
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
enjoy the crowd, the companion, graphics etc

cant do much about game changes, ignore them, we already have enough stress in our own life.

Milspec1
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Great feedback guys loved hearing that most us hang in there for the same reasons

SirDalton
03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Because we don't like to lose!!

Jacko99
03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Reasons I keep playing:

1 Faction team spirit (the people in The Darkness are awesome)
2 Getting our Faction as well placed as possible
3 The challenges: getting raw AD stats over 1M

General Soviet
03-22-2013, 04:13 PM
I keep playing because of the friendships the game has formed, and the fact that I've put too much time and money it into to just quit.

WI(AusNz)
03-22-2013, 04:40 PM
The game targets a similar part of the brain that registers addiction. Just like others are addicted to gambling, poker machines, horse racing, drinking, drugs etc, this is our addiction. Try quitting for a day and you may experience mood swing, tensions and anxiety - all textbook signs of addiction. This game has many addictive triggers that are explained in everyone's post. I admit i am addicted (i like to think of it as a soft addiction as I keep a tight budget of $20 month and stick to it).
Any Psychologists in the building would like to elaborate?

American Capitalist
03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I play because it's free. I'm contemplating quitting because of the edge offered to high-gold spenders. If I could spend $60 and see a noticeable difference in my stats, I'd do it, but as of right now it costs dozens of vaults to get high stats.

Apco
03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Quit this game like I do!! Full of hackers and Gree dont even bother to track them down!!!

Thlinks
03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Laughing at the guy telling me I got better things to do.. I play this in my ipad me it doesn't take up much of my time.. I'm sorry for you old vets tired of the game because its not the newest toy anymore.

britton
03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
We all started for fun. Ok.

So why do we keep playing?

Its psychological - behavior reinforcement.

It can be negative or positive. Both of these are experienced in this game.

Negative would be the lose of cash, a battle, a raid and/or a unit. All which we dislike but we all want to be winners.
Positive would be beating an opponent, winning a boss event, free gold, free unit, cash from buildings or some reward. All which we like, value or want because we all want to be winners.

The kicker is that it is somewhat random. Positive random reinforcement creates the most powerful behavioral response. Look around your real life and you will notice this at play.

Milspec1
03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
That was part of why I started this thread the psychological aspects of not walking away from something that frustrates us. I find it interesting, and it sounds like factions and brotherhoods are the main reason.

PIRATE JUSTICE
03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
That was part of why I started this thread the psychological aspects of not walking away from something that frustrates us. I find it interesting, and it sounds like factions and brotherhoods are the main reason.You got great responses. Some of your responders provided some excellent answers.

Milspec1
03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Yep for sure PJ. Now to find a way to apply it to my companies ;)

You got great responses. Some of your responders provided some excellent answers.

Milspec1
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
You know what else is interesting is WHO plays this game.

From 12 year olds to 60 year olds, from billionaires, millionaires, celebs to people on welfare in the projects, to soldiers in the sandbox to people in government. There's people on their death beds, there's people with amazing lives, and those where this is everything to them. I find it fascinating.

PIRATE JUSTICE
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Sometimes you have this great thing, and you treat it like trash, because you refuse to see the possibilities. Someone has a great thing, and doesn't understand what to do with it.
You know what else is interesting is WHO plays this game.From 12 year olds to 60 year olds, from billionaires, millionaires, celebs to people on welfare in the projects, to soldiers in the sandbox to people in government. There's people on their death beds, there's people with amazing lives, and those where this is everything to them. I find it fascinating.

Scotch Ego
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh the humanity! Good thread Milspec.

You know what else is interesting is WHO plays this game.

From 12 year olds to 60 year olds, from billionaires, millionaires, celebs to people on welfare in the projects, to soldiers in the sandbox to people in government. There's people on their death beds, there's people with amazing lives, and those where this is everything to them. I find it fascinating.

Alaneapen
03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Great thread, i invested too much in this game to walk away. I know you have PJ

Snowball
03-24-2013, 12:16 AM
what a great read! read every post ... this topic leapt of the page to me ... my reasoning for still playing while being so angry that my phone has almost been broken too many times now

It is the only game I play. The first to ever capture and hold my attention. I had an Atari bought my kids a wii but was never a gamer. This game some how got to me. At first I thought it HYSTERICAL to see people paying cash to play I loved beating someone who I saw had spent gold I never spent a penny till Greenland where I bought the cheapest gold to score a few extra points and was doing what I thought was pretty good always beating the majority of everyone on rival list ... then just before Egypt I won $100 on actual lottery scratch off ticket and gave to Gree got myself new toys finished top 100 and oh yeah was on an awesome team of great fun people hook completely set ... since Egypt began the crashes errors missing gold all seem to be piling up with more frequency leaving me feeling screwed over. Naturally I know stemming from my own competitive drive and anger of wtf I finally put in real money and this is the return on it!

But I know as I am a small business owner in retail, its all about making a dollar by holding the carrot out just far enough, don't worry about the few you piss off as long as you keep gaining new and keep most happy. I don't wanna quit it was a lot fun, in flashes now it still is and like I read earlier I'm optimistic it will be a lot of fun again. But all-in-all if it doesn't I will do just like I did with this current boss event (because of its perfectly timed to screw me crashes) quit ...