PDA

View Full Version : How many of one unit is too many?

DarthJim
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
So, I guess I am what may be called a MLP, Mid Level Player, at lvl 54, with 104 allies. What I was wondering is how may of one type of unit too many?

Do most of you select a single unit and stock the majority of your army with that unit, or do you try to spread it out over different units across different types (air, ground, sea)?

Right now I just added a bunch of allies in an attempt to boost my a/d, but in the process I am now bringing units to battle with only 5 attack. I'm sporting 50 A-10s, 60+ subs, 50+ cruisers, and 25 or so hovercrafts as the bulk of my army, but I could probably buy several more subs before the 5 attack units are out of my attack force.

So what is the largest number of a single unit do you bring to battle, and what unit is that?

SevenO9
02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
The answer is 2,001. Everything below that is fine as long as the unit is your strongest factoring all modifiers.

You can not have too much of a good unit. Regarding spreadng out, if you are playing a nation which boosts one type of units, going for that typically is the better route unless above rule applies.

Jhenry02
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
I have seen people with 5000+ of an item. Silly really, the max amount of units you can bring to battle is 2000.

That being said if you wanted you could bring 2000 stealth bombers to battle and have 100k attack.

I find it is best to spread it around 50 here, 100 there, maybe 200 super hornets.
It all really depends on your strategy. At 1080 max units brought into battle (level x 4 allies x 5 units per ally) it would probably be best to shoot for 50-100 assorted low casualty units with decent stats.

Good units for your level are medics, military ambulances, global hawk drones, and sea scouts. They have low enough attack where they shouldn't go on offense, but can help solidify your D.

Hope this helps.

-J

HGF69
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Is it not more effective to have at least some coverage of ground, infantry, air and sea as some units are better against some unit types, eg strng against infantry or does the best just trump all?

Commander Ghost
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Is it not more effective to have at least some coverage of ground, infantry, air and sea as some units are better against some unit types, eg strng against infantry or does the best just trump all?

I have often wondered this myself.

DarthJim
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
My att/def numbers are probably considered low around these parts, but i'm at 8400/12000.

I have a good number of ambulances - 40, right now I'm more concerned with my attack score. So I guess I will get a bunch of subs since they bring +5 attack to my party until I have no more 5 attack units included. Then I will look into more cruisers or Leopard Tanks.

DarthJim
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
I have often wondered this myself.

You are not alone. Also, I'm sure its just a result of having more of one unit, but it seems when I have many more of one unit than another they seem to go quicker.

Also, it seems like, to me anyway, and I could just imagine it, but it feels like there is a "magic number" for a certain unit. IE if I have 15 L-tanks I won't lose any, but when I have 20 or so I will lose them until I'm back down to 15.

Jhenry02
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
HGF69, I may be blind and silly, but when they say strong against <insert unit type here> I generally find that it means they cause more casualties to that particular unit group. I may be wrong but, I don't think it works like a boost.
So yes generally strongest unit will out. A 3/17 unit is better for defense than a 5/15 that is strong against <insert unit type here.>

-J

Jhenry02
02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Darth Jim, there is something called a consumption rate. It is in effect a percentage value of what you see as casualty rate. I have been harping on this for the last few days because I finally have the proper values (yay!) The reason you lose more leopard tanks when you have more is because they have a rather high consumption rate. Try sticking to units that say or or extremely low next to casualty rate.
I'm currently working my way through all my units getting rid of the junk. I've lost maybe 4,000 units in the last week. It is rather funny seeing tree snipers go into battle again.

-J

syltaylor
02-27-2013, 01:19 PM
its the whole casualty rate thing that throws me off. high casualty I rarely loose, low and very low I seem to be loosing every attack. why give them a rating if it really doesnt matter. I can take 840 units I have 1000+ and 300+ of those are high causalty am I doing something wrong? I though low casualty meant low casualty not high.

Jhenry02
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Syltaylor
Can you cite specific examples?
Maybe I can help clarify the issue.
Because if you have 300 hum-vees but they don't go to battle then of course they won't die.
Only your highest attack units go to battle.
Could this be the issue?

-Jason

syltaylor
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
looks like that may be what contributing to it. everything going in is low or med and 90+% are low very low plus indestructables. looks like they are listed by best to worst on the battle detail screen? so I need some cheap high or med better than the last ones on my list of what I took to battle to stop loosing all the good stuff right? maybe I can stop spinning my wheels now lol.

if this works and I can get back to just loosing light gunners scouts ect what % of what I take should stay as high casualty to keep my good stuff from getting taken?

this brings up another question I have heard infirmary works and it doesnt. so if it reduces casualty rate does it reduce the fact that you loose anything at all or just what you loose? or does it do anything?

syltaylor
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
just noticed it only said it shows top 45 and Im still loosing some of my throw aways along with the low. does it matter if you are raiding someone stronger than you?

Jhenry02
02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I haven't seen proof the infirmary works.

And what you described in the first two paragraphs is called the "meat shield theory."
A lot of players will use seals, commandos and even hazmat soldiers as meat shields. Meaning they die off first instead of your valors and high cash units.
It's a theory that works, I currently use crappy loot items for valor shields.

-Jason

Edit: Yes opponent statistics count. Lower their defense, the less casualties you will incur. I try to stick to 1/3 of my attack to lose only minimal meat shield units.