PDA

View Full Version : Forum Etiquette

Jhenry02
02-25-2013, 12:00 AM
It seems like every post gets hijacked into the same 4 topics. So I will start one of my own.

While I respect most players. I have to say this forum is a shadow of its former self. There are too many braggarts, trolls, and nuisances. I used to come on here for lively chat, theory exchange and the occasional humor.
Now it is either faction recruiting info, Pirate Justice spouting off about how awesome the pirates are (yeah we get it, we can't win,) complaints, or people just putting up useless drivel so "someone" will pay attention to them.

Man, PJ, I dig the fact that you were an innovator in the game, the first with an all gold army, you have awesome statistics. Yes a lot of us are envious. You are a great Modern War player. But it seems like every fourth post you brag about how you were the first with an all gold army. The other posts are just derogatory towards players who don't spend thousands on the game for that luxury. It seems to me that since you have an all gold army that cannot die, you have turned resentful to the game. You often talk of gree's demise, or your apathy towards the game. I know that you have more interesting things to say, instead of quoting poetry, speaking in rhymes, or song lyrics. Why don't you add something meaningful? Instead of acting like a king holding court, how about talking to people evenly. For the longest time I had you on my ignore list, then someone said "hey did you see what PJ said? It was right on the money." So I removed you from my ignore list hoping that you'd mellowed out. Please don't make me regret the decision.

To the trolls, we get it! You are not getting social fulfillment in daily life. If you come on here needing that fulfillment ask for help with a problem, contribute something positive. You will get many more responses than if you proceed with your negative tripe. It is easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.

Complainers, yes there are issues with the game! We all know this, we all have run into some sort of mfunctioning code or aspect of the game. Send your tickets and wait. Spamming the forums with crap won't help you solve your problem. If the issue is gigantic maybe send a PM to CJ, or piggy back a thread on the same topic?

Recruiters, really? You come in here posting your factions bonuses like it will actually work? That is like walking into a crowded bar and yelling "Hey I want to get laid!" All you are doing is overstating the obvious. There is a whole section of the forum for you to try and find recruits. There are also PM's when this faction thing first started I sent out a few messages to people I respected for their intelligence and contributions. You can do the same. If you happen to see "player x" has no faction tag in his signature and you like what he has to say. Talk to him one on one, not waste space that could be used for actual issues and theory.

Everyone else, you don't like certain people. That is why there is an ignore list. I have a fairly highly populated one myself. No doubt do I possess that some have me on theirs. This is a valuable tool for easing tension in the forums. If you see a troll, report him then ignore. Don't feed them, they are like fish, you feed one and many more will show up.

Feel free to bash me all you like. I'm a big boy with broad shoulders. I'm going back to my cheesy crime novel now. Thanks for reading.

-Jason A. Henry

Dhusagar
02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Bumped this, because it is worth others reading it.

The only person I pay attention to on the forum nowadays is MXZ - there used to be many. Sad demise of the forum.

Bart
02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Bumped this, because it is worth others reading it.

The only person I pay attention to on the forum nowadays is MXZ - there used to be many. Sad demise of the forum.

I thought I saw mxz's base the other day, his stat is mediocre or average at the best. If he is so great, why didn't he use those useful info to improve his stat? Not mean to hijack the thread or belittle mxz, just a light flashes by when I read your post, &couldn't resist.

Tail gunner
02-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Good post Jhenry02, I for one no longer visit this once informative forum very often (once a week at best maybe).

Who wants to come here just to listen to 'All gold' players telling us how great they are etc and adding no value to the game or community as a whole?

I initially came to this forum to gain advice and learn different strategies to improve my game without spending a ton of money (i am a light gold player) and also to interact with like minded people who were prepared to help each other out and share in a gaming experience for fun. Sadly this forum is no longer fun, informative or a place where anyone wants to spend any time in - well done to those that have helped destroy this place.

PIRATE JUSTICE
02-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Gree controls this forum, because they own it. If you BELIEVE someone is out of line, report the poster to Gree. That said, Gree determines what stays and who stays. If this forum is not up to your HIGH standards (because you pretend to be a warrior by playing a game), you can create your own forum. In the meantime, ALL posters are equal until Gree says otherwise. By the way, FLAMING other posters violates Gree's very fair terms of service.

Jhenry02
02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Finished my book.
And by all means I may be banned and this post may be deleted. But my point was heard, even if only by a few.
I did not mean to "flame" you. As I said I have a tremendous respect for your game and your faction/group. I said nothing that wasn't already commonly known. I have created my own forum. We share images, ideas, and even jokes. Kind of like what this forum used to do.

All forum posters are equal as you have just said, so why do you still condescend so many people? You speak in riddles and rhymes to show your intelligence. We know you are smart, no one is debating that. Continuing to act this way is befuddling. But your attempts to lord over people as if you were some sort of gaming royalty have grown stale.

It is a GAME, I am a virtual fighter. By day a semi-retired business consultant, by night a level 177 faction leader. Well, actually flip that as I seem to be nocturnal lately. But that is neither her nor there. You show so much hypocrisy by claiming you no longer care about this game but yet you average almost 10 posts a day about it.

It is obvious my pleas have fallen upon a set of deaf ears. So I will aquiesce and retire. It obvious that I must expand my ignore list yet again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

-Jason

Major Ed Rush
02-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Jhenry

From a new player to game and forum your first post resonates with my thoughts exactly after two months involvement

kudos to you

Mcdoc
02-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Wow - The Court of Public Opinion seems to have spoken. Just seems like there are a lot fewer people in Court these days due to the widely felt agreement towards this thread. It is a shame too, this place used to be such a fun place to gather and share our common interest in a fun form of entertainment.

PIRATE JUSTICE
02-25-2013, 03:02 AM
I Just want to read Good stuff!! Stop posting bullSh*t on the forum! PUN I really dont care what you have to say! and No I dont want to put people on a Ignore list!Just act Normal! You do not have to repeat How good you are by paying for Gold!!!Just stop those stupid songs and other sh*t! it has no important info! just a waste of space like JHenry 02 says!its Like SPAMMING the forum!Or does it violate the forum's rules by using characters to mask obscenities?

PIRATE JUSTICE
02-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Wow - The Court of Public Opinion seems to have spoken. Just seems like there are a lot fewer people in Court these days due to the widely felt agreement towards this thread. It is a shame too, this place used to be such a fun place to gather and share our common interest in a fun form of entertainment.A fun place where you post dozens of exciting remembrances of the obscenities you shared while cyber-loving each other, right? I suppose its not irrelevant or boring when YOU are involved in the alleged spamming, huh?

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Nice post Jason, but you do have to take PJ with a pinch of salt. His humour and sarcasm is not to everyone's liking and when I first joined, I didn't get it either, but over the time I have become accustomed to his style of posting. He is very much like 'Marmite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1qP_y9V9k)', you either love him or you hate him.

Factions have certainly added a whole new level of "game politics" which seems to be taking up more of my time as an officer in the faction Ranger's LLP's, especially in between events as the faction shuffle comes into full swing. Some members are removed for their lack of participation, other members leave because it has become too time consuming and then there are also those members who feel that they belong in a better faction. If the actual WD event wasn't enough work, there is also plenty of work in between events for the leader and officers!

Throw in numerous hackers into the mix who are trying to destroy the game with GREE seemingly powerless to stop it and with accusations flying around all the time especially at those honest members in the top factions, because some trolls still can't believe "the amount that is spent on the game, so they must be hackers" is really a poor show and clearly they are spitting their dummies out, crying foul and seeking attention. Shame on you. Get over yourself and jog on! I can see why GREE don't want us to name and shame.

I have always tried to help people on this forum, sprinkled with a bit of humour because afterall this is just a game for entertainment purposes. There are some very helpful people on this forum which I hope continues and that some of the trolls decide to do one, but I think that is just wishful thinking on my part, which is a great shame.

As for me, well there was a serious lull at work in the last few months hence my active participation on this forum but this is now changing and I am scheduled for some travel soon, so my participation on here will be dwindling and it might become non-existent some time in the future.

I wish you well Jason and good luck in the future with the WD events. Who knows, we might even get matched one day soon, but I really hope we don't ;)

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 03:25 AM
I Just want to read Good stuff!! Stop posting bullSh*t on the forum!
PUN I really dont care what you have to say! and No I dont want to put people on a Ignore list!

Just act Normal! You do not have to repeat How good you are by paying for Gold!!!

Just stop those stupid songs and other sh*t! it has no important info! just a waste of space like JHenry 02 says!

its Like SPAMMING the forum!

It is a free world with free speech but with limitations set by GREE's forum rules. If you don't like it, use the options available to you which is the ignore list. I use it and I recommend you do too.

Since factions have been introduced to this game, it has turned this forum upside down. Whereas before we were individual players with the majority helping each other out, factions have banded people together like packs of wolves roaming around taking bites out of each other. As said before, factions have added a whole new level of game politics with people sniping at each other, backstabbing, trash talking, chest beating, cheating, accusations and so on which has stooped this forum to a whole new level.

It is what it is. It can't be undone. Factions have counteracted this by creating their own forums where they can enjoy the banter once again between team members and friends to share the love and the enjoyment of this game, to provide hints and tips that they don't want to share out to the rest of the MW gaming world as it would be considered as an act of treason, to give the enemy all your secrets. This faction element has added a whole new level of seriousness to this game and it is rubbing off on everyone as evident by the recent postings in this forum.

Tournai
02-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Or does it violate the forum's rules by using characters to mask obscenities?

Maybe it does, but still a lot wont get it, and it is still a waste of time i think.
We already know PUN won 2 Battles
But go ahead, but just act normal.
Since a few months you started posting strange threads in my oppinion.

spitfire
02-25-2013, 03:43 AM
could not resist

http://s17.postimage.org/7oo0z2q1b/PJ5.jpg

Jhenry02
02-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Well said Dutchie, it is a game. When people use it to define themselves as people that is where the fun ends and the nuisances begin. I enjoy the game, the camaraderie, the strategy, and the chance to help others has actually made the game more fun for me. But Modern War does not define me as a person, my eccentricities do that. I don't lord over people, look down on low stat players, or rule a faction with an iron fist. Maybe that's why the VFF people seem to tolerate me. But the bandying of words and as you said "chest beating" just has me vexed. To me it is like the 12 year old on Call of Duty calling people lame noobs. There will always be people better at games, people with more money, more or better something. But to ask people to cow-tow to your whims and useless drivel in a game is just preposterous. It's like yelling "Look at me I am the worlds greatest Monopoly player!" Who really cares? No one, until that player shouts it from his cyber podium in nearly every post.

The thread wasn't meant to single out only one person, but a group of people who seem relentless on ruining a good time for others. Whether they be "chest beaters," complainers, spammers, trolls, or even the senior member who forgot what we are all here for; to have fun.

-Jason

Tournai
02-25-2013, 04:56 AM
[QUOTE=Dutchie;615845]It is a free world with free speech but with limitations set by GREE's forum rules. If you don't like it, use the options available to you which is the ignore list. I use it and I recommend you do too.

thanks for this Dutchie, lets see how it will work.
I already see the thread getting smaller :P

mxz
02-25-2013, 05:02 AM
I think we need to accept that everyone has their place. Not every thread will be a good one, I think that's obvious. We can't control what sort of stuff PJ decides to post any more than we can control what trinkets he wants to get this month. Better off focusing on things we can control like our own attitude and contributions. Help the noobs, be friendly, stay on topic, refrain from call outs or public flaming. Good ideas, and the change is in us.
I thought I saw mxz's base the other day, his stat is mediocre or average at the best.Yeah that guy's a noob, we should wreck him! :cool:

Tournai
02-25-2013, 05:06 AM
To me it is like the 12 year old on Call of Duty calling people lame noobs.
It's like yelling "Look at me I am the worlds greatest Monopoly player!" Who really cares? No one, until that player shouts it from his cyber podium in nearly every post.

The thread wasn't meant to single out only one person, but a group of people who seem relentless on ruining a good time for others. Whether they be "chest beaters," complainers, spammers, trolls, or even the senior member who forgot what we are all here for; to have fun.

-Jason

I agree on the rest you posted , But these words made me smile now!

whahaha, :D

thats the Fun!

stephen2013
02-25-2013, 05:53 AM
"+1 Stephen likes this"

CrankUpThatDiesel
02-25-2013, 06:01 AM
Just from reading old threads & joining the forum when I did, its pretty obvious the factions did this...I like to roll 1 deep & see where I can make it on my own, so I still have yet to join one...too much politics in it for my liking, atleast that's how I see it from the outside looking in

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 06:04 AM
That guy is a Gree employee who recently claimed he wasn't before thread and post were made to disappear.Now I have seen it all! Trolling the Forum Etiquette thread... unfookingbelievable!

Morg
02-25-2013, 06:48 AM
It is obvious my pleas have fallen upon a set of deaf ears. So I will aquiesce and retire. It obvious that I must expand my ignore list yet again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

-Jason

Thank you for this. Having only been here a short time, and the posts I have read during that time, I can see no downside in doing this as well. Utilizing this formerly unknown forum tool should make this place a much more positive experience in general, and this seems by far the best place to begin.

Bart
02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
That guy is a Gree employee who recently claimed he wasn't before thread and post were made
to disappear.

You are kidding, right? You think pirate justice or me is an employee of gree, your accusation is as laughable as someone claims dutchie is a pirate from that llp thread about pirates are coming just because she started the thread.

Bart
02-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah that guy's a noob, we should wreck him! :cool:

Okay, when I see him again, I will smack him a few times just for you. Hehe.

Poopenshire
02-25-2013, 06:56 AM
So its come back to forum decorum. the best thing I can suggest is to read Hello Kitties thread on this.

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?35941-Decorum-in-the-Forum...&p=283385&viewfull=1#post283385

at one point it was Stickied.... then CCM locked it down and closed it.

Please read and share.

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 06:58 AM
You are kidding, right? You think pirate justice or me is an employee of gree, your accusation is as laughable as someone claims dutchie is a pirate from that llp thread about pirates are coming just because she started the thread.

She??!! People think I'm a female pirate now!! ;)

Bart
02-25-2013, 07:03 AM

Dutchie sounds so feminine. Heehee. This place is freakingunbelievable, I figure if someone repeats that enough, you will be called ms dutchie from now on. ;)

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Dutchie sounds so feminine. Heehee. This place is freakingunbelievable, I figure if someone repeats that enough, you will be called ms dutchie from now on. ;)

LOL

If it does sound feminine, I'll have to have a word with my mates who insist on calling me Dutchie as I'm originally from the land of clogs, tulips and cheese! (Netherlands)

spitfire
02-25-2013, 07:30 AM

PIRATE?? really? That cant be. You are nice to people on forums, you cant be a pirate

Tournai
02-25-2013, 07:37 AM
PIRATE?? really? That cant be. You are nice to people on forums, you cant be a pirate

Nah man He aint a Pirate, only a smart guy That exactly know how to play this game!

Seriously Dutchie You are the man, and the first I saw exploiding this game MAX! really super! I am glad to be your allie

Cause even though my stats are probably higher then youre original account, I Fear players like you!

Eventually we will all end at the same level, en then you will see the difference between stats.

it just makes me curious, I am going to visit youre base soon! See you there Dutchie.

( Dutchie doesnt sound like female to me! Its sounds like someone is PROUD TO BE DUTCH! )

Gonz0
02-25-2013, 07:38 AM
I keep getting told I get 50 gold bonus AND a RAE Monsoon A/C and I did,, ONCE.

If you promise and don't deliver, isn't that usually concidered poor etiquette?

Hivesy
02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Good post Jason, I think the type of responses you've had, paired with the general lack of them, upholds all your points.

Everyone can return to their own little faction bunkers nowadays and have more fun with their own little group of 50 or so buddies. I'm not knocking it, that's what I do.

In fact I don't have any answers, I'm just agreeing with you I suppose.

I've not used that 'block' tool before but I might now experiment with it. Does it block all posts by that person or entire threads that they are in? I don't want to lose threads entirely but I reckon I could block 10 people and this forum would be much easier and more fun to read.

McDoc, Poopenshire, Tail Gunner, Mav, Thunderchild, Copenhagen, Corsair, Selfproclaimed, Hello Kitty, Bronson, VBall Madam, Sugarymama, Baraka, JHenry, maybe I need more than 10.......Madman, Cheiz, Zoltarov, Ferr, Tate, Hassleham, Arizona. :)

Geeez typing all that made me realise that I miss the old forum. I'm having a moment, ignore me now, nothing to see here move along please. War Priest, Agent Orange, Miner, Speed ump, Aidan, KOD, JMC, Thief, Dreno, Fl@sh, Johnny R, Jp LFS, Marebear, MickyMAC IRL, SeqWins, WarFiend.

That is all in 5 minutes. The list could go on. Some of you guys still post infrequently. Some have left the game. Some are hunkered down in their faction HQ plotting the downfall of others on that list. I'm sure I've missed lots of others, add other forum legends below.

Sorry Jason, I'm not hijacking your thread, you just made me think a bit. Something the forum hasn't done in a while now.

spitfire
02-25-2013, 07:56 AM
No, PJ is not an employee of Gree...you are. Why did you say "a few of us here use CCM avatar" last
night/early morning? Just before co workers delete thread and all Simon posts.

I have no idea what you are talking about but the avatar he uses is pretty common on the forums. A lot of people use it. If he was a GREE employee, this thread would of been locked.

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Nah man He aint a Pirate, only a smart guy That exactly know how to play this game!

Seriously Dutchie You are the man, and the first I saw exploiding this game MAX! really super! I am glad to be your allie

( Dutchie doesnt sound like female to me! Its sounds like someone is PROUD TO BE DUTCH! )

You are making me blush now...lol

Playing the game as a light gold spender mind you ;)

Of course I am proud to be Dutch. I could have changed to an English passport but I have no wish to do so ;)

I've not used that 'block' tool before but I might now experiment with it. Does it block all posts by that person or entire threads that they are in? I don't want to lose threads entirely but I reckon I could block 10 people and this forum would be much easier and more fun to read.

No, you don't lose entire threads. It only blocks new posts by that person in any thread, even if they created the thread. If someone replies with quote to the blocked person, you will unfortunately see that post that is blocked in the quote, but it is better than nothing.

Jhenry02
02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Obviously my post has touched a nerve with some people. Which I suppose is good and bad. I see that the post has fallen on a few more sets of deaf ears. For those of you who have publicly and privately spoken out in support, thank you.

-Jason

Bart
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
No, PJ is not an employee of Gree...you are. Why did you say "a few of us here use CCM avatar" last
night/early morning? Just before co workers delete thread and all Simon posts.

Wow, just because CJ deleted some of my posts or yours then I am automatically labeled as Gree employee. Like I have something to hide or CJ wanted to protect.

No, dude, I run my own company, if I work for Gree, then I must be its CEO. Your imagination is wild, just don't drive your vehicle with it.

Bart
02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about but the avatar he uses is pretty common on the forums. A lot of people use it. If he was a GREE employee, this thread would of been locked.

Thank you, spitfire.

Bart
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
LOL

If it does sound feminine, I'll have to have a word with my mates who insist on calling me Dutchie as I'm originally from the land of clogs, tulips and cheese! (Netherlands)

yeah, you are famous for the tulips bubble. :)

Dutchie
02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
yeah, you are famous for the tulips bubble. :)I hold my hand up ;D

Jhenry02
02-26-2013, 12:22 AM
See, now this is what I am talking about. Someone learned how to properly use the ignore/block feature and a few jokes were cracked. That is what the forum is all about, educating and expanding fun.

Believe me, I enjoy humor as much as the next guy. I often sprinkle a little levity in to try and diffuse a situation.
I'm glad that so many people found this an interesting read.

As for what others have said that there is no way we can change the make up of the forums. Yes in fact we can, instead of getting angry with someone and doing a whole thread of back and forth argumentation, simply take it to PM's. If someone has you so irate that you begin to day dream about becoming the Lawnmower man and hurting people through the computer screen; perhaps you should ignore them. By doing these 2 two simple little things, we can decrease drama and frivolity.

And wow, you know things have to be really bad when I become the voice of reason. Can I go back to being my deranged red neck self yet? This whole angel on the shoulder business is bad for my psyche.

-Jason

Dutchie
02-26-2013, 03:36 AM
See, now this is what I am talking about. Someone learned how to properly use the ignore/block feature and a few jokes were cracked. That is what the forum is all about, educating and expanding fun.

Believe me, I enjoy humor as much as the next guy. I often sprinkle a little levity in to try and diffuse a situation.
I'm glad that so many people found this an interesting read.

As for what others have said that there is no way we can change the make up of the forums. Yes in fact we can, instead of getting angry with someone and doing a whole thread of back and forth argumentation, simply take it to PM's. If someone has you so irate that you begin to day dream about becoming the Lawnmower man and hurting people through the computer screen; perhaps you should ignore them. By doing these 2 two simple little things, we can decrease drama and frivolity.

And wow, you know things have to be really bad when I become the voice of reason. Can I go back to being my deranged red neck self yet? This whole angel on the shoulder business is bad for my psyche.

-Jason

You are far too sensible with your voice of reason Jason! Go kill something in-game to shoot down your angel and bring your little devil out again. Bwhahahahahaha!