PDA

View Full Version : do fortifications even matter?

Mr.Grumpy
02-20-2013, 11:53 PM
...if we don't get points for winning or losing a battle then why have a fortification at all? the money could be better spent on other bonuses.

i realise we'd be giving up extra points to other factions but it wouldn't affect ours points tally at all. or am i missing something?

thoughts?

Jhoemel
02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
It is. If your enemy is using gold for forts. that will burn gold that will be used on a player instead of the fort

Jhenry02
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Yes you would be giving the other teams more points. But if you have a 50,000 defense fort, then they need 25 guys hitting the fort 4 times at 500 damage per attack. They then earn 30 points an attack for 3000 points total. Instead they could be attacking your players for 200+ points an attack and that is 20,000+ points. These teams are matched up to you are near in your WD rank. So you would be giving a team your fighting a place for an extra 17,000+ points in battle.

Forts are pretty darn cheap, maybe 150,000,000 per month for 30 level 9 forts. That is one slow day of donations. Just stuff to ponder over.

But if you are going up against a top 10 team that dumps gold, forts are pretty useless.

Hope that gives you something to mull over.

-J

mxz
02-21-2013, 07:24 AM
If you're a top 100 faction - yes.

If you're a 100+ faction - not really. We buy forts to try to draw fire away from members (high enough that its there for attacking, low enough that they decide to attack it). Who cares what the other team scores? Winning doesn't get you a bonus so why waste $ and concrete, as only your score matters.

Mcdoc
02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
You're spot on man - Forts are absolutely worthless!

I hope other factions realize this and quit wasting money on them in Egypt. MUCH better off buying IPH increase or those Attack bonuses - or most importantly - those 9 Billion dollar faction increases.

See you in Egypt!

Speed ump
02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
If the race is tight for positions, I'd say forts do have meaning, to keep your competition from getting those few extra points to pass you.

Dutchie
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
If the race is tight for positions, I'd say forts do have meaning, to keep your competition from getting those few extra points to pass you.

I agree. We have been in a position where we decided not to take out the fort and we had a nice lead only to find that our fort has been taken down after 15 mins of battle and then they caught us up as they were getting double points.

Then we had no choice but to take their fort down if we wanted to win the battle... which we did and we won.

Forts add an extra element to the game. For some they are a nuisance, for others they don't have the firepower to take it down. The higher ranked teams just blow them over and they don't have much meaning, but the lower ranked teams struggle with taking down a high level fort.

Milspec1
02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd go even further to say in the top 25 they are absolutely irrelevant and get blasted through in seconds regardless

spitfire
02-21-2013, 09:12 AM
It is. If your enemy is using gold for forts. that will burn gold that will be used on a player instead of the fort

whats your avatar from? Code Geass?

JMC
02-21-2013, 09:47 AM
They matter, but not very much.

Dutchie
02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
They matter, but not very much.

It really depends on where you faction is ranked and what firepower you have. They matter more for the lower ranked factions but not at all for the top ranked factions.

mxz
02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
It really depends on where you faction is ranked and what firepower you have. They matter more for the lower ranked factions but not at all for the top ranked factions.This. Theres a happy medium. It's like the name/avatar/ally trick. It's not what separates 1-5; but 6-15 and 98-102 it may have relevance.

Don't be fooled, the only reason forts exist is to make more $.

Milspec1
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Actually a good point, forts are a massive money generator requiring anyone who wants to be competitive to spend a vault taking them down. But they are a necessary deterrent I suppose?

This. Theres a happy medium. It's like the name/avatar/ally trick. It's not what separates 1-5; but 6-15 and 98-102 it may have relevance.

Don't be fooled, the only reason forts exist is to make more $.

Blackstone
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
They matter. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

cook976
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
what is the sweet spot for the fortification lvl? i know it depends on the faction ranking (via member A/D), but i want some thoughts. should a 1,000 faction max out at lvl 5? should a 250 faction max out at lvl 7?

Jhenry02
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Conceivably, to validate my argument for fortifications, I only spend my donation amount on fortifications.
I think they have use if you are jockeying for a specific cutoff.

-J

Ryans67
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
They were alot tougher in BFB, and helped protect little guys more. BFG...Not so much.

LeBarticus
02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Naw they don't matter, don't buy them.

;)

mxz
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
what is the sweet spot for the fortification lvl? i know it depends on the faction ranking (via member A/D), but i want some thoughts. should a 1,000 faction max out at lvl 5? should a 250 faction max out at lvl 7?My best guess:
1-4: Level 10 (you're building walls to convert your in game cash into real money for Gree, serve no functional purpose)
5-10: Level 10 (keeps you ahead of the next rival)
11-25: Level 7-9 (high enough that opposing factions have to use gold to take it down, keeps you in the top 25)
26-50: Level 5-8 (serves little purpose other than showing you have in game cash)
51-250: Level 4-6 (distraction for the well organized, light spending factions to hit)
250-10,000: Level 1-3 (distracts other factions from just pounding on your members while they take out the wall)
10,000+: None, maybe level 1 (no purpose)

stuartb
02-22-2013, 03:41 AM
It really depends on where you faction is ranked and what firepower you have. They matter more for the lower ranked factions but not at all for the top ranked factions.

I switched over to a low level faction-of-four, and 2/3rds of the opponents did not have forts at all. My lead player in the new low level faction is Level 180, so hitting the opposing players doesn't produce much WD anyway, wall or no wall. I think in really low levels (under 1,000) the walls are also irrelevant.

Crypt
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
We had some fights where our lvl 10 forty was destroyed. the other faction then only managed to take 50k WD from us. They had spent so much G on taking down the wall they didnt have the reserves to make any decent WD.

just think if we had gone into that battle with no forty, they could racked up much more WD. When your in the top 100 and there's such a fine line between making it and and not, every forty and WD point counts !

Dutchie
02-22-2013, 03:57 AM
I switched over to a low level faction-of-four, and 2/3rds of the opponents did not have forts at all. My lead player in the new low level faction is Level 180, so hitting the opposing players doesn't produce much WD anyway, wall or no wall. I think in really low levels (under 1,000) the walls are also irrelevant.

mxz summed it up very nicely, as always!

Some Random Clown
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Nope, Im hearing a lot of people in the penthouse talking about the commoners they know little about. The super low levels factions of 4 players are usually struggling just to get into the top 4000. If you got too high a level you dont score much points so you dont hang around if the faction doesnt grow. Your income to the guild is lower and you cant buy all the nice upgrades, and you dont have as much concrete to throw around. Down here you want a level 1 fort as often as you can afford one, just to keep the other lobsters down in the pot while you work points and stay afloat.
From a ranking of 500 - 2500 you are in the real competition, stategy matters, point spreads between ranks are tighter, and you got some good players. Here you've got some income and can buy a few bonuses, and people bring in concrete more. Forts are actually very effective here but you dont need one over level 2 at best, level one works fine unless you get pitted against a serious group. I only had 1 level 1 fort shot out during Greenland during 40 fights, the crew that did it were a bit out of our class at around <500th place in Brazil and many more players. You dont care about the win/loss on each battle, you only care about points and how can you eek out a few more. With no gold in play you are not going to go after the forts, the points are just not there for you, so you take half point shots and tweak who you shoot at to get the better points.

NakedCherryPie
03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I know of a certain top 4 faction that didn't even have forts last event until the last day. All it does is prevent other teams from scoring on you. If you can use your faction donations elsewhere, do it.

mxz
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I know of a certain top 4 faction that didn't even have forts last event until the last day. All it does is prevent other teams from scoring on you. If you can use your faction donations elsewhere, do it.Exactly. Don't waste money you don't have on something with a 100% guaranteed casualty rate.