PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a new (<3 wk) player

groovdog
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
After three weeks some things are pretty clear. Its nearly impossible to make significant rapid progress past a certain point. I understand the rationale for this in the first yr of the game but at this point the barrier for new players without unlimited funds is pretty big.

It shows most in the time invested in early building/bank/land upgrades. I am completely stuck in place by day+ upgrades with gold costs in the 100s. I can't get enough vault fast enough to build funds to upgrade quickly and have to resort to PVP for cash which levels me faster than I would like. I am not asking for the world here but I truly think if Gree and its existing players want people to join in the future than something needs to be done in the very early game.

I see two fairly easy solutions. You can either cut the expansion/upgrade/build times on some early buildings or dramatically cut the gold costs for immediate finishes. It would be capped so as to not really impact players who have been around 6+ months and anyone more recent would benefit as well just not quite as much as newbies. I would point to Kingdom Age as an example for land expansion as I am not physically constrained there just time/cash constrained. The reality is this should be done for all Gree games if they want new players to join.

And if its bad for me than its particularly bad for free players as I have spent at least 1500 gold (frankly far more) on each of the three I play (MW, CC, KA). I have basically plateaued where I am going to have to spend weeks to make upgrades. I will never get to 50% of where the older players are even outspending them (on a relative basis) so I have to ask myself is it worth it? Gree will lose a good sum and there will be less competition if I (and others like me) decide its just not worth it. Fewer players = fewer resources spent on the games we like to play.

Just my 2 gold bars...

Dutchie
02-17-2013, 01:57 AM
Welcome to GREEd's world :)

groovdog
02-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Yeah I hear ya, but having a background in business I can tell you they are doing the wrong thing. You lead people along and milk them, you do not confront them with big decisions (ie invest 15000 gold or leave) about whether to stay. If they leave you will never see a penny from them and you will also have fewer players for your established gold paying players to beat on hastening the demise of the goose that lays the golden bars.

The Big Weezy
02-17-2013, 02:24 AM
It's a poor way to run shop, I agree. Been playing for a week now and quickly realized that camping for months is the only equalizer to not spending money right off the bat here. If I'm going to spend money, it will be much farther down the road...if in fact I can be patient enough to get that far!

Tctiger
02-17-2013, 03:14 AM
It took a long Time and stratigy to get my iph , now any free player can get a big iph easy with the new volt and buildings ,Then you will have enough cash to build an army , you have it easy now .

wwwait
02-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Welcome to GREEd's world :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

SoccerStud
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
It's easy to build up an economy on that level. Who cares if the upgrades take long? Use that time to save money for your next upgrade. I upgraded most of the early buildings and it was helpful and such. It's not always going to be rapid.

groovdog
02-17-2013, 07:16 AM
It took a long Time and stratigy to get my iph , now any free player can get a big iph easy with the new volt and buildings ,Then you will have enough cash to build an army , you have it easy now .
Uphills both ways right in the snow right? This game doesnt require strategy to build IPH. Give me a year and I could get my 5 yr old to do it. Expand land at all costs. Build your vault as fast as you can. Upgrade when you can. Collect as often as you can. You will have a big economy at some point even if you dont have a single unit.

My army is just fine thanks. I could farm cash all day off the people around me. The issue is it takes forever to get the land to build that IPH and forever to upgrade to any reasonable generation. I am not asking to be in your league in the next couple of months but being so far behind as to be laughable is not alot of fun either. I am going to have to uber camp for months to build the funds and then undoubtably Gree will put new stuff in that only the longstanding (both free and gold) can afford and then it will be square 1 all over again.

All I am saying is would it hurt so much to ramp up the first 1/3 of the game?

Poopenshire
02-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Do not be in a hurry to run with the Big Boy! I can tell you as a player who has been at this for over a year, and found the forum only 4 months after starting playing well, going slow at the start is key. Build up and take the time to really get to know the game. I myself have taking long periods of only upgrading and collecting. It pays off in the long run.

thunder
02-17-2013, 08:31 AM
i will suggest getting gold for units not for building upgrades unless you are a very high spender.

Wufnu
02-17-2013, 08:38 AM
groovdog I hear ya. I've been playing going on 3 months now and still playing catchup with my economy. The only thing that works is to slow down the raiding/fighting/missions and let things grow. I TRY but it's just too boring so I'm always ahead of my economy level to iph wise. My LLP on the other hand is doing it perfectly. I log in once a day, collect my money, build something if I can afford it, buy a few units, and shut the device off for another 24 hours.

Товарищ
02-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Using gold to buy time is the worst waste of money there is, you should've realized that as an economist!
The best use of RM is events that give you units with good bonuses.

Buying gold units is also not a very good deal.
When you have 500 allies and 2000 units, how much are 100, 900G, 300-ish stat units gonna do for your attack/def density?
Say baseline is a relatively high 40 A/D density and you add 100x 300 stat units, that's adding 100x 260 stat points, divide that by 2000 units, equals and increase of 13 A/D density to a new density of 53.
Or you could have built up a kick ass economy (especially with the new super imbalanced AC and AMR), be russia and get 1000 stealth bombers giving you 47.5 in attack density! Another 1000 puts you at 55.

One cost you 300x1000/1500x100 = $20,000
The other cost you lots of time waiting.
So it depends on personal preference in the end...