PDA

View Full Version : Camping vs Raiding

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Hoping to get some advice from the 'senior' guys. I'm trying to figure out which style of play would be best in the long run. Currently I'm level 122 with 72k/66k A/D and IPH of 194k. Thus I'm trying to figure out if it would be better for me to stop leveling and start camping to bring my IPH up or if I should continue my raiding ways and keep my IPH low on purpose. :confused: As a 'free' player I won't be able to depend upon much gold to build up my stats (trying tapjoy right now to get that composites factory). But I also don't want to start camping just to end up as a cash cow for the high level folks when I do eventually cross into the 'whale' zone. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thief
02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Well Look at it this way. There are only 3 Currencies in this game.

Cash
Valor
Gold

You said you are a free player so you are left with 2. Valor has a finite supply and Cash has unlimited supply (as long as you have buldings to produce it) In this game you never know what will be realeased now but i would definately say that cash is important to have access to (even though i think the Cash units are very weak for what you pay for)

Then again you need to ask yourself how long do you want to play this game for? I just crossed the 1 year mark myself and i have over a 1.5 Million IPH. If you only plan on playing for another couple months just keep having fun with your current Cash and Valor...

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Valor has a finite supply

Really? I know that my Valor missions have slowed to 2k per Force Degredation and like 900 each for the other one (the one you get once per level where you need to attack players at same level as you for x number of times). Are you saying that Valor missions will eventually stop?

Durt McGurt
02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Really? I know that my Valor missions have slowed to 2k per Force Degredation and like 900 each for the other one (the one you get once per level where you need to attack players at same level as you for x number of times). Are you saying that Valor missions will eventually stop?

Yep, you will just get the scraps of valor from PvP, no more valor missions

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank You Thief and Durt for your responses! Seems like that means then for a 'free' player to be a big raider at higher levels, one must first become a camper to bring up IPH to afford the big cash units as Valors will become non-existent at higher levels. But it also means that as a 'free' player, I will always have a maximum cap for my base A/D stats. Say you have unlimited amount of cash to get the best cash unit possible, you would end up with 100k base Attack (2000 Stealth Bombers) and 92K base Defense (2000 Aircraft Carriers). The previous number assumes no bonuses and gold/valor units of course. Even tacking on all the various bonuses it still means that one would cap out A/D stats unless you are willing to dip into gold. Valor units gets better bang for the buck but you'd get pittence in terms of valor at higher levels... :mad:

This seems to make my decision even harder... Do I want to start spending months camping to bring up my IPH knowing that I will reach a plateau at some point unless I am willing to spend $$$ for gold? Or do I keep playing as usual knowing that I will eventually become a mid to low level raider prying on even lower level players and be entirely outclassed by players with A/D of 500k+? :confused:

Durt McGurt
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
as a fellow free player...just keep on trucking. Play it whatever way is most enjoyable to you. If you want to start camping, I would recommend staring a llp and camp the right way. IMO it doesnt matter what your stats are....there will be players with higher stats that smash you and there will be players lower for you to smash. No matter where your stats are you will always want your stats to be a bit higher. Just enjoy the ride.

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
as a fellow free player...just keep on trucking. Play it whatever way is most enjoyable to you. If you want to start camping, I would recommend staring a llp and camp the right way. IMO it doesnt matter what your stats are....there will be players with higher stats that smash you and there will be players lower for you to smash. No matter where your stats are you will always want your stats to be a bit higher. Just enjoy the ride.

Thanks again for your insight Durt! :)

waterdog87
02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
To Durt McGurt,

What does llp mean and what is camp the right way?

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM

llp = Low Level Player

Check out this very informative thread on camping... http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?13937-Suggested-opening-moves-for-an-economy-base&p=68890&viewfull=1#post68890

Durt McGurt
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
To Durt McGurt,

llp is low level player, you would need a second device for this. I use my work phone as my llp (and my wifes phone for my llp's llp) To camp the right way is open to interpretation. IMO it is leveling enough to buy the income buildings, then camping until they are at level 10, then increase your level and buy the next set of income buildings...camp until level 10, rinse and repeat. I only sign into my llp a few times a day to collect cash, no raids, no attacks, no missions. The only way my little guy goes up levels is when other people attack him unsuccessfully .

qq1972
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Thank You Thief and Durt for your responses! Seems like that means then for a 'free' player to be a big raider at higher levels, one must first become a camper to bring up IPH to afford the big cash units as Valors will become non-existent at higher levels. But it also means that as a 'free' player, I will always have a maximum cap for my base A/D stats. Say you have unlimited amount of cash to get the best cash unit possible, you would end up with 100k base Attack (2000 Stealth Bombers) and 92K base Defense (2000 Aircraft Carriers). The previous number assumes no bonuses and gold/valor units of course. Even tacking on all the various bonuses it still means that one would cap out A/D stats unless you are willing to dip into gold. Valor units gets better bang for the buck but you'd get pittence in terms of valor at higher levels... :mad:

This seems to make my decision even harder... Do I want to start spending months camping to bring up my IPH knowing that I will reach a plateau at some point unless I am willing to spend $$$ for gold? Or do I keep playing as usual knowing that I will eventually become a mid to low level raider prying on even lower level players and be entirely outclassed by players with A/D of 500k+? :confused:

Well if you camped at lower level and start to do boss events when you have enough strength, you will have much higher than 100k base Attack and 92K base Defense at max. ally(500?)
The final unit you got from the last boss event alone is 2000a/1500d, and you could pickup about 5-7 rares along the way which will probably net you around 4k to 6k gain in attack for that one event.:cool:

qq1972
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Well if you camped at lower level and start to do boss events when you have enough strength, you will have much higher than 100k base Attack and 92K base Defense at max. ally(500?)
The final unit you got from the last boss event alone is 2000a/1500d, and you could pickup about 5-7 rares along the way which will probably net you around 4k to 6k gain in attack for that one event.:cool:

Thief
02-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Yea i started Camping around lvl 60 for this reason. Although i was never able to reach it all the way to 35 without using gold you could pick up on average 3-4 Rares every Event.

Now however the idea of Camping doesn't really work because there is actual incentive to lvl with the current events out there. Then again you need money to comete.

Gree is at least trying to offset this by providing more powerful units for newer players to aquire so they can compete out there but the reality is unless you are in a top 5 faction....your never going to be top dog. They also need to release more powerful cash units which i suspect will only be a matter of time....but again you need to work on your IPH for that.

Ph4ntom Stranger
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Free players can also obtain higher stats than 100k A/D like others have said from boss events, but also units from pve missions (check the FAQ thread for this).

Cmputrgbln
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Free players can also obtain higher stats than 100k A/D like others have said from boss events, but also units from pve missions (check the FAQ thread for this).

Totally understand as that is how I got a good chunk of my current A/D stats... the scratchers, the boss events, the missions, etc. :cool: My comment was more analytical in the sense that a true camper which should be avoiding things that raises experience points would be limited w/o participating in these events (except maybe the scratchers). :D

emcee
02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
You can have the best of both worlds. Its all a matter of timing when to activate from camper to crawler. It should coincide with boss tiers. Factions add an extra dimension with boosts/events/world domination and makes the decision more complicated.

Ph4ntom Stranger
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Gotcha, yeah it's tough to decide what strategy to go with at times. I follow Emcee's thought process by using both :)

qq1972
02-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Now however the idea of Camping doesn't really work because there is actual incentive to lvl with the current events out there. Then again you need money to comete.

Make few friends and join they faction and ask them to allow you do nothing during the event, well not nothing, at least I attacked the fort. during the event so I also scored some WD points, but just not to attack the rivals.
And we made it to top 5000 and my level 4 account got the 2 nice units:cool:

So I am gonna do the same for BfG and hope to get 2 more units LOL.

Cmputrgbln
02-07-2013, 07:26 AM
So I am gonna do the same for BfG and hope to get 2 more units LOL.
Just make sure your new friends don't boot you before rewards are handed out! It sounds like it would be a pain to have to contact Gree to ask for award after the fact....

D1EHARD
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
i would say camp

Cmputrgbln
02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
i would say camp
Yea, but then I'd be bored to death! :D I may end up doing what Durt suggested, open a 2nd LLP account on my android when I upgrade to SIII and camp with that one while I keep my main one on my iPad as-is...

Cmputrgbln
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM
bump bump bump...

Would love to get more votes and see what majority of players' preferred style of play is....

Dutchie
02-08-2013, 01:47 AM
I was a camper until I joined a faction. Now I semi-camp and that is not one of your options ;P

What is semi-camping? Here is a list of what I do and don't do.

What I do -
1. EB events (but I can't trigger this one and with only 3 XP left before I move to the tier 2 boss, I am not happy!)
2. PvP tournaments and gain the least amount of XP as possible
3. WD Events. I go all out for this

What I don't do -
1. Missions
2. Crate events of any sort. XP gained is not worth the prizes unless the event falls in a PvP tourney except that raiding doesn't collect crates and only attacks do, until GREE fix this nasty bug.
3. General raiding or attacking to gain money. I build up my IPH to get extra $. I might occasionally return a hit back to the odd muppet for fun or when I am bored but that is very rare.

The aim of my game is to gain the least amount of XP as possible but the EB events can level you up quickly although the units gained are many and indestructible.

Cmputrgbln
02-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for sharing Dutchie! My poll is by no means scientific but looks like there is slightly more people raiding than camping...