PDA

View Full Version : Gem Sale

Quantum
01-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Are the Gem Sames periodic or ad hoc?

Proprioc3ption
01-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Unfortunately ad hoc. The reason being, if they had the sales at consistent times everyone would buy gems ONLY at those sales.

Silly them, they only make a profit off the big spenders while MOST of the average players don't touch the gem's till they are on sale. I'm assuming most of the customers are average players. Target the costs to entice those players and you'll make more than keeping the price where it. Simple marketing tactics really, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out...but GREE seem to do things their own way.

Quantum
01-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Thank you and yes I agree.

domw001
01-20-2013, 05:23 AM
The thing is GREE doesn't seem to see a potential opportunity when they see it.

Generally the Gem sales are 20% off. Only once I have seen a 40% off.

I am a free player and cos I have wife, kids, etc. I don't have the spare cash to spend on a time-wasting but fun piece of software.

On the last 40% offer I was so tempted to make a first purchase but I still couldn't justify it.

Now a 50% off sale . . . That would push me over the edge. And I suspect quite a few Gem newbies as well.

Try it GREE. I think you might be surprised

Winstrol
01-20-2013, 05:25 AM

I am a free player and cos I have wife, kids, etc. I don't have the spare cash to spend on a time-wasting but fun piece of software.

On the last 40% offer I was so tempted to make a first purchase but I still couldn't justify it.

Now a 50% off sale . . . That would push me over the edge. And I suspect quite a few Gem newbies as well.

Maybe 99% of sale ?

jonny0284
01-20-2013, 05:39 AM
20% isn't bad.
40% was Black Friday.

But 50% is over the top. If it happened, it would be the hardest event or have an increased difficulty. Why? To ensure that those Gem purchases didn't just give free players easy to obtain units. As a free player (not myself) in all of these LTQ, the potential to earn amazing loot for nothing is already being devalued by people who aren't appreciating even that gift from Gree.

Seriously, the first 10 out of the 40 are easily 1 hit , 1 kill. There's 10 free prizes you won as a free player for literally nothing, and maybe 300 energy. (generalized statement of 'you')

Besides, it's a great marketing strategy. Keep sales random and people will either buy or not buy.

King Gabriel388
01-20-2013, 05:48 AM

If you don't have spare cash, it's best you play for free. Better for your wife and kids.

FBBear
01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Silly them, they only make a profit off the big spenders while MOST of the average players don't touch the gem's till they are on sale. I'm assuming most of the customers are average players. Target the costs to entice those players and you'll make more than keeping the price where it. Simple marketing tactics really, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out...but GREE seem to do things their own way.

Not sure that would be the case, I think you've underestimated the spending power of the big spenders. Somehow I have the feeling that GREE's marketing has done their homework and that we average players combined are spending just a small fraction of what the big spenders spent :(

Ratma2001
01-20-2013, 01:31 PM
If you don't have spare cash, it's best you play for free. Better for your wife and kids.

Very true King, my wife found the bank statement ...ooops had some serious explaining to do !, yes dear wont happen again, no i am not spending any money on the stupid dumb game , i promise dear ....to change bank details to private now how do i get the money in their to buy gems ??
Need to prioritise things ..
1* keep wife happy...separate bank accounts, or hidden account Shhh!!
2* keep playing KA and tell her your not buying gems or spending money. i.e other players are doing it ?!
3* keep home life pleasant and ask once a month to buy $20 gems if in budget (hehe)

domw001
01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I did have the option to sell the wife and kids, thereby solving two problems at a single stroke (abundance of family and lack of gem cash), but my eBay account has been suspended and to be fair I have grown quite attached to them over the years

Mickeytah
01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
20% isn't bad.
40% was Black Friday.

But 50% is over the top.

Yes, because 50% off something that costs them nothing because it's imaginary is going to make them go bankrupt.

jonny0284
01-20-2013, 05:00 PM
But, it's not imaginary. There is still substance (little images of mythical creatures with numbers) that we as consumers, value.

Albeit, they are a product of their creation. And, our demand.

Mickeytah
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
But, it's not imaginary. There is still substance (little images of mythical creatures with numbers) that we as consumers, value.

Albeit, they are a product of their creation. And, our demand.

You're not buying real gems. You're buying pieces of code. The only service buying gems provides with is that you give them money and they adjust a number for you.

My point is even if they did have a 50% off sale and you could buy a mountain of gems for $50 instead of $100, it would not hurt them one bit. The people who normally would buy a mountain would still spend $100 and just get two mountains, and some people who wouldn't spend $100 for 1500 gems might be willing to spend $50. So they'd have the money from all the people $100 normally, plus the money from the people willing to spend $50 but not $100.

SangerPride
01-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Actually if you plan it right you can get gems for 40% already if they go on sale for 20% and if they ever did go on sale for 40% off like the do for MW you can get 60% off. HOW? Well you buy an iTunes card for 20% off through Best Buy and sit on it until the gems go on sale. I've done it once on MW and it was a pretty sweet deal. I've seen them on sale for 20% off in other places but can't remember where, but I know Best does it. Just food for thought.

bgood
01-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Rat...pay for itunes gift cards with cash then it wont show up on your bank card...just sayin...happy wife is a happy life

bgood
01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Yes, because 50% off something that costs them nothing because it's imaginary is going to make them go bankrupt.

I guess where completely discounting the cost to run the servers, maintain the servers, pay the game programmers, pay the web guys...etc...They get all that stuff for free.

By flooding the market with gems and not getting proper value your taking a huge risk of devaluing your currency. Its basic ecomonics regardless of what game currency is real or imaginary. Your making an assumption that a big spender is going to spend the same amount regardless of the amount of gems they get. I somehow dont think its the case. By flooding the market with gems it forces gree to rebalance game play as everyones stats increase they need to adjust LTQ, Boost events, all stuff that costs money...I'm sure they've done research and the bang for the buck is just not there at 50%.

RandomUser
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Actually if you plan it right you can get gems for 40% already if they go on sale for 20% and if they ever did go on sale for 40% off like the do for MW you can get 60% off. HOW? Well you buy an iTunes card for 20% off through Best Buy and sit on it until the gems go on sale. I've done it once on MW and it was a pretty sweet deal. I've seen them on sale for 20% off in other places but can't remember where, but I know Best does it. Just food for thought.

Be careful with your math there... taking 20%, then taking 40% off of what's left does not equal taking 60% off the original price. It's actually taking 52% off.

Proprioc3ption
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok...lots of ideas and points of view, but I can garruntee you now that there are gaming companies our there that spend millions more on their games and are hugely successful by providing gamers with great experiences without the hiccups we see here from GREE. But then again, lets be honest and say that GREE aren't in essence, a gaming company are they? Moreover, in all honesty, behind the scenes their games are not designed to provide entertainment for real gamers are they? The gaming experience by players skill can be achieved from all forms of players including free players...there is no real skill in spending the most money to be the most powerful. Hence, the platform of the company who has designed these game is purely for making money. A very smart idea that any programmer with a bit of financial backing could do.

Blizzard Entertainment is one example of success. They spend millions on developing games, quality games that have in essence a plethora of time and money spend on developing every single aspect of the game all the way down to the individualised unit designs (which are 3D I must say). The list goes on.

They do not provide a basic game, riddled with errors and requiring huge ongoing costs to the players to make revenue. They provide a game for the the gamers experience sake, not for exorbitant profits. They know that the profits will come with customer satisfaction, and in Blizzard Entertainments case, they do. World of Warcraft requires a simple $30 subscription for a months worth of play. $30, and they have spent millions on developing and further developing the game. They continue to make huge profits all while players enjoy a realistic price for their entertainment. I can garruntee that Blizzard outlay millions more than GREE in developing and maintaining their games all while providing a higher quality experience for the gamers.

Funzio designed this game with one thing in mind...to make money through what looked like to gamers, a fun gaming experience. Smart idea from them, and it has paid off in a big way. The small investment that they would have put into it was totally worth while as the profits made from selling it to GREE was astronomical in comparison.

It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out, and you would be ignorant to believe that the games themselves require such an upkeep that it needs such high payments from its players to keep the game running. It's what's behind the scenes of the game that require the costs from players, not the game nor its continual maintenance or further developments.

So i say this...play the way you want to play. Each to their own. You want to spend? Go for it! Just be aware of what your getting yourself into. Know your limits.

Ratma2001
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Correct, Totally agree, i tried the free play but wasn't my style. So i buy Gems small amounts that suit MY budget and when i can afford them , but i am selective on what events to use them on, i personally use more on the current LTQ than i do on Boss events cause my return is more beneficial for my game play. But i do have a set budget (from wife) and do not go over that , each person plays different thus having different styles that require different uses of gems or not, its the individual that dictates weather or not to buy gems or not , its not the game its there for your enjoyment in what everway you play.
My use of Gems will get me to where i need to be quicker than if i was a free player , but others spend more and other spend less or none , at the end of the day its individual choice ! i am not Winstrol or The1nONLY (would like to be) but i am me and play accordingly as they do for their style and budget

sparckle
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
If gems got too cheap, would imbalance the game even more and kill it in the long run.