PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rivals list.

Derek Shane
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I have 120 mafia, but often times my rivals list will give me other rivals with 150-170 mafia, thus making me unable to attack many of the people because they are much much stronger (or i just suck).
Then at other times it will show rivals with 90-120 as it should.

Does anyones else have this problem and is there anything I can do to help it stay on track?

I would like to note that my girlfriend and I share an account on her Galaxy3, and the rival list is always spot on and has never given a list that wasnt supposed to be.

nopenopenope
12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Buy more henchmen.

Steve0
12-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Buy more henchmen.absolutely buy lots.

Derek Shane
12-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Buy more henchmen.got plenty, thanks
back on topic...

Ramshutu
12-17-2012, 04:17 AM
From what I understand (and bear in mind, this could be wrong), the game tries to find people at around the same level and mafia as you. If there aren't as many of these (because they've all been robbed blind, or cannot be attacked, it seems to change), the mafia levels you can see will expand. This tends to cycle, so you have to refresh your rival list a few times.

There are also, sometimes, periodic tweaks to the way the Rival List works which means you can sometimes see some odd behaviour. For example once at 500 mafia, I could see people down to ~110, which is a bit odd.

However, saying this, I don't really see much of an issue with seeing people with up to 170 mafia, it's only 50% more than you, and is similar to the type of thing I have seen previously. Just refresh your rival list a few times, and it should cycle back to your bracket.

Coldjoey
12-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I have 120 mafia, but often times my rivals list will give me other rivals with 150-170 mafia, thus making me unable to attack many of the people because they are much much stronger (or i just suck).
Then at other times it will show rivals with 90-120 as it should.

Does anyones else have this problem and is there anything I can do to help it stay on track?

I would like to note that my girlfriend and I share an account on her Galaxy3, and the rival list is always spot on and has never given a list that wasnt supposed to be.

You can do nothing, just refresh untill you find players within the braket you want to fight. It depends on your level and how many other players ate on the same level as you. When there are events going on, such as at the moment the rival list has to be broadened or everyone would be too beat up to fight.

This I know is not what you want to read! I'm sure you would like the rivals to be listed in order of those with high value building ready to rob and with stats that you easily beat, followed by players with low stats and cash on hand.
I speak for Dipstick.

mxz
12-17-2012, 05:38 AM
From what I understand (and bear in mind, this could be wrong), the game tries to find people at around the same level and mafia as you. If there aren't as many of these (because they've all been robbed blind, or cannot be attacked, it seems to change), the mafia levels you can see will expand. This tends to cycle, so you have to refresh your rival list a few times. The rivals list got tweaked before the Halloween events to open it up a little further. Presumably for the PVP tournament to make sure people didn't run out of targets.

The issue this causes is that it is sometimes very hard to find people who are in your normal bracket. If he's at 120 mafia he may only see 400+ for 5-6 refreshes and then only have 3 or 4 ~L100 on the rivals list. It's great for TL, but awful in that it crowds out rivals that are actually touchable.

Ramshutu
12-17-2012, 08:05 AM
I have a feeling that the expansion of rival list happens automatically around events because evyone is getting hit more. I can't prove it though, as gree hasn't yet taken me up on the offer of performing a free code review.

mxz
12-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Letting a few folks that understand the game well review some code would have my support. Engineers tend to have blind spots in their own products (hey, isn't that why they have betas?). I'd certainly vote for ya. I understand why they don't: plenty of issues with proprietary code, trade secrets, liability of someone discovering some nasty stuff and going public with it, and of course if the reviewer had the desire to a hack it would be a cakewalk to find vulnerabilities.

The list itself hasn't been "fixed" since the Halloween PVP event. My guess is they set it the RL to open up and decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix it and reopen just for the Thanksgiving and Christmas tourneys.

Sandukan
12-17-2012, 08:34 AM
My rival list is broken too.
Filled with people with broken down hoods and no cash on hand.

dsb
12-17-2012, 11:30 PM
there is one guy who keeps attacking me everyday about 20 times a day what do i do new at playing this only on level 14 not strong enough to fight him spent 100,000 dollars buying defense but wont work any suggetions would be appreciated

Ramshutu
12-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Letting a few folks that understand the game well review some code would have my support. Engineers tend to have blind spots in their own products (hey, isn't that why they have betas?). I'd certainly vote for ya. I understand why they don't: plenty of issues with proprietary code, trade secrets, liability of someone discovering some nasty stuff and going public with it, and of course if the reviewer had the desire to a hack it would be a cakewalk to find vulnerabilities.

The list itself hasn't been "fixed" since the Halloween PVP event. My guess is they set it the RL to open up and decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix it and reopen just for the Thanksgiving and Christmas tourneys.

That's what NDAs are for.

A lot of people seemed to cite "IP" as the reason. Not meaning any offense to Gree, but there really isn't that much "Intellectual Property" in the game that comes from the code itself. The IP is the concept and artwork primarily. There are enough similar games out there to render the way of doing it fairly moot.

Derek Shane
12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone ;D

I have a feeling that the expansion of rival list happens automatically around events because evyone is getting hit more. I can't prove it though, as gree hasn't yet taken me up on the offer of performing a free code review.
I'm sure there is some super secret stuff they have listed in the code that they don't want anyone to see. Maybe some stuff that would lose them a lot of players.. Idk if you are catching my drift??. #gpstracking #governmenttakeover #martiallaw #conspiracytheory

lol just kidding. kind of.
It would be a pretty sweet idea if they made the code open source for a few people. Of course you would have to basically sign over your life to Gree before you could read and analyse it.

Ramshutu
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone ;D

I'm sure there is some super secret stuff they have listed in the code that they don't want anyone to see. Maybe some stuff that would lose them a lot of players.. Idk if you are catching my drift??. #gpstracking #governmenttakeover #martiallaw #conspiracytheory

lol just kidding. kind of.
It would be a pretty sweet idea if they made the code open source for a few people. Of course you would have to basically sign over your life to Gree before you could read and analyse it.

The main problem, is what benefit does it actually give to Gree. While it's nice to have Gree get access to technical experts (were they do go on the open market and pay for consultancy, would cost them upwards of $5000's, or more if a more thorough code review), the only real benefit is for us players to understand the game mechanics. If they wanted this in the open, they would put it out there.

In reality, I don't really see the need to look at the code. In reality, the way companies work is that issues that haven't been reported are generally given a lower priority and will never get looked at (or at least not for a while). Releasing the game mechanisms and maths to the wider community (such as % chances of things, ATK/DEF calculations, the way the Rival list is calculated and in games such as Modern War, the way the unit casualties are calculated) would have a bigger benefit to everyone.

The main thing it would do, is build trust, which is a massive thing in online games like this. There is a tremendous financial benefit to be gained from making the player base feel that they are part of the games developement, instead of players of it.

Derek Shane
12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry about the double post. I know some forums get pretty ticked off about them, but...
In reference to the thread subject, I forgot to add this piece of information.

When i first started playing the game, I didnt understand it. I thought it was good to level up fast; Thought I was rocking the game. I then gained a mentor over these forums because I kept getting robbed and couldn't attack anyone my level because they were so much better. I had close to 210 mafia at level 25, and I was advised to remove the majority of them so I wouldn't be exposed to such high-leveld rivals. So I did. Now I am level 34 and have 120 mafia. Perhaps this is the cause of my rivals list being so disfunctional.

Also, on the first page. Someone made a sarcastic comment like "My rivallist is broken too, filled with people with broken down hoods and no cash on hand."
I would just like to say - That is not the point of my thread here. Im not complaining because everyone I rob is poor or not worth robbing. Im just saying that 90% of the time, my rival list is full of people who have up to 50 more mafia than me and I have to search the list for 10 minutes just to find someone with the right levels that will allow me to rob or attack and win. When I play on my girlfriends account, (level 19 with really nice stats), her rival list is always spot on and all the rivals always have almost exactly the same amount of mafia members as she does, which makes PVP easier and faster. Just trying to figure out why mine is so broken.

Do you guys think I could have messed it up when I deleted 60-70 of my mafia members?

The main thing it would do, is build trust, which is a massive thing in online games like this. There is a tremendous financial benefit to be gained from making the player base feel that they are part of the games developement, instead of players of it.
100% agree. I use to play and MMORPG called RuneScape. I'm sure many of you have played it or heard of it.
I played it for years of my life. Just quit playing it recently. Anyway, one of the main reasons they are so successful is because of exactly what you just said. Players opinions helped shape the game into what it is today. Players voted on what content they wanted to see put in the game the most. Contests for lucky average players help them write a quest line. A lot of the decisions made in RuneScape comes from feedback from the player and posts on their Forums. Gree should follow this way of game-design :)

nopenopenope
12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
There's nothing broken with your rivals list. Re-read MXZ's post again.

Nicky the Nose
12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I get same thing on my 2nd account with different device (both still iOS). I think MXZ is right. Only difference between you and I is I can still beat almost everyone in the rivals list even if they have 75 to 100 more mafia