PDA

View Full Version : Balance within a game

vaporeon
11-08-2012, 02:23 AM
The biggest issue with Gree's games is the issue of balance. What do I mean by that? Well if you look at other massive multiplayer games that do PvE and PvP, they all do 1 thing right and thats balancing the game.

In other online games, you can buy in game items, money or other things. The huge thing with this is these game do it in a way to not unbalance it. Need more money, then its fine because it does not hurt the balance of the game. need more armor, item spaces or to get a character early, then you can but it does not hurt the balance of the game.

The problem with modern war is the gold system breaks the game. In other games, you can use 'gold' like items in a game to get something early but you could still earn that item through normal game play. Take a look at League of Legends. In this game you can buy characters early using gold like items or you could earn them by winning enough points. other games normally dont run events to where only people who buy 'gold' will win.

If Gree had games where you could get those great units without gold, then it would be balanced because you can get them later.

Well, Its 3 in the morning so this is typed badly. Just wanted to get this off my head.

PIRATE JUSTICE
11-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Append the fourth letter of the Englsh alphabet to the firm's name, Gree.

That letter is D.

Gree + D = _____

Get it?

Glad I could help.

Ramshutu
11-08-2012, 04:32 AM
The biggest issue with Gree's games is the issue of balance. What do I mean by that? Well if you look at other massive multiplayer games that do PvE and PvP, they all do 1 thing right and thats balancing the game.

In other online games, you can buy in game items, money or other things. The huge thing with this is these game do it in a way to not unbalance it. Need more money, then its fine because it does not hurt the balance of the game. need more armor, item spaces or to get a character early, then you can but it does not hurt the balance of the game.

The problem with modern war is the gold system breaks the game. In other games, you can use 'gold' like items in a game to get something early but you could still earn that item through normal game play. Take a look at League of Legends. In this game you can buy characters early using gold like items or you could earn them by winning enough points. other games normally dont run events to where only people who buy 'gold' will win.

If Gree had games where you could get those great units without gold, then it would be balanced because you can get them later.

Well, Its 3 in the morning so this is typed badly. Just wanted to get this off my head.

That's not what balance is.

Balance is making sure that there isn't a single 'strategy' or approach that is significantly more advantageous than another for the same resource investment. The game is relatively good with that, you may think Crates provide a big advantage over LE items, but in the latter case you are paying a premium for stats in the bank over potential stats.

What your talking about is premium advantage. The nature of the advantage you obtain investing money in the game, versus not.

The current shenanigans aside, it is ridiculous to expect that someone contributing nothing to the running costs and overheads of the game to gain just a time advantage over one who doesn't. Gree is a business, and it is their approach to premium advantage that means that they obtain > $3 per subscriber per month (i think its even higher, just couldnt remember the exact number) vs a company such as zynga where that number is about 25 cents.

This is not to say that they are doing the best with the reinvestment of that income, but I think a lot of the motivation about gold being too expensive, or complaining about the lack of ability to compete at the pinnacle, is based on frustration of people seeing the haves and not being able to spend to be in that bracket.

I feel the same way, I would love to be able to buy some of these top items with cash, or see gold prices decrease. But I appreciate that this is not a good idea from a business or maintainabilty point of view. If this did happen, either gold players would spend less or, still have just the same advantage, or most likely the balance of the game being screwed by a flood of top end affordable units.

mickymacirl
11-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Do what they ask and buy gold, or talk to certain people and get it for free!!!