PDA

View Full Version : Any Deer Hunters Out There?

jobadass
11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I have a serious question:

It's deer season here (archery) and I've spent a good deal of time at one of my favorite hunting locations.
This morning I passed on shooting a small buck and a few doe. One of the doe had a horribly disabled front leg (driver side...left here in USA). Leg was positioned like it was an arm in a sling and was totally useless. She obviously struggles somewhat to walk freely, I thought about spooking her on purpose to see if she was at all capable of running.

Heres the question: Should I put this deer down?

I doubt she will be capable of survivng the winter...I'm going under the assumption that this is a more recent injury, maybe due to playing in the road.

I have 3 doe tags that I can fill. I always buy 3, and rarely fill more than one.

Should I wait to mercy kill until after the rut is over? I will not shoot a doe near my stand that is in estrus unless I've already taken a buck that year.

TonySpaghetti
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I only hunt reindeer. :D

jobadass
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Laughing my anus off!

What's the over/under until time the reindeer master gets his next ban? I see CCM has been looking out for Joey-boy-quim lately. Maybe he wants to make sure he's on the "nice" list this year:)

Honey Boo Boo
11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Laughing my anus off!

What's the over/under until time the reindeer master gets his next ban? I see CCM has been looking out for Joey-boy-quim lately. Maybe he wants to make sure he's on the "nice" list this year:)

Yeah, what is up with him protecting Jokim? Kinda odd, given how annoying the little freak is. After last nights "resurection" of Santa, it's kind of a moot point to question whether Jokim is him or not.

As to your question, yes mercy kill. Might not last the winter anyway. My father we t through a similar decision a couple years ago.

sricen
11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Ive seen deer get by with loosing a whole leg. Let her go. Let nature handle it. If you have any yotes in the area theyll get her.

Dipstik
11-08-2012, 10:27 AM
He'll no... It's cold out there.

TruthHurts
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Take her down. One for mercy and two for venison jerky!