PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Child is Baffled by the Boycott

Thunder Child
11-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Been watching the boycott unfold all afternoon (where I am) and I have to say I am a little baffled.

While I agree with the majority of the widely held grievances that I've read in the various boycotting manifestos, I'm still not clear what anyone hopes to achieve through a boycott of raids, attacks and spending real money on gold, especially one that provisionally lasts just one week.

I've said it before and I'll happily say it again, the major issue which needs resolving is undoubtedly COMMUNICATION between Gree and the game's players, whether they are free or paying. Once communication happens, and remember it's a two way process, just about anything can be solved and/or resolved. But I fail to see how a boycott by players on the Forum (a fraction of the people actually playing MW) will in any way induce Gree to set up and then persevere with a line of communication that can get the 'fix-everything' ball rolling.

I wanted nothing more than to open a thread ("Thunder Child Joins...") expressing my solidarity with all of you - whom I respect very much indeed - but I cannot join a boycott that I believe is destined to be another whimsical flash in the pan (remember the gold boycott?); a week's worth of broad swipes at a faceless organization will achieve very little, since ultimately the people at Gree will lose next to no sleep over this and precious little revenue.

That being said, I'll happily eat my hat if I'm wrong!

Best of luck to you all.....

Sugarymama
11-04-2012, 07:29 AM
I agree with you TC, and have said fragments of what you did in other threads. Good concept, but one week is not long enough at all. To add, how many players are even aware and/or participating in this. While the forum seems big and super popular, it really isn't. I also stated this needs to be escalated to corporate-level employees, who are the decision makers when it comes to the bottom line. Just curious to see how this will all play out.

JohnnyR
11-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Just gotta keep it going. I thought the same last night, posted so much on PJ's post. Woke up next morning amd holy crap-it's begun, lol. An entire wall of forum threads. Ferr, PUN, the forum, and big goldies are in. Think it might be a little different this time around.

Thunder Child
11-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Just gotta keep it going. I thought the same last night, posted so much on PJ's post. Woke up next morning amd holy crap-it's begun, lol. An entire wall of forum threads. Ferr, PUN, the forum, and big goldies are in. Think it might be a little different this time around.

Mad makes a valid point on one of your threads, Johnny..

"Though I agree with your goals, these are strictly whale issues and have nothing to do with free to medium sized gold spenders. In fact, I have seen whales on this forum resisting issues that profoundly affect free to medium sized gold spenders.

1. When good loot was available, that would primarily benefit free to medium sized gold spenders, the whales on this forum said they complained to Funzio and the loot items were stopped.

2. When free to medium gold spenders kept there allies under the 500 ally mark to avoid being pummeled by the whales, on this forum they were threatened and then hunted down by the whales.

There are other issues as well and now you want our support. Interesting."

He has a point...

JohnnyR
11-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Mad makes a valid point on one of your threads, Johnny..

1. When good loot was available, that would primarily benefit free to medium sized gold spenders, the whales on this forum said they complained to Funzio and the loot items were stopped.

Unbalanced, and obviously a mistake. If they were left in place as a patch to keep free players on even footing with gold players-that'd be the lazy bandaid over the problem. We need better units, a better game to compete. Think about it, if free players could compete without having to find crazy loot, there'd be more of us causing goldies to shell out...

2. When free to medium gold spenders kept there allies under the 500 ally mark to avoid being pummeled by the whales, on this forum they were threatened and then hunted down by the whales.

I agree. This sucks, and I'm thoroughly against targetting individuals for strategically thinking. This should be hashed out later though, when the rum runs out and we all have headaches!

There are other issues as well and now you want our support. Interesting."

I'm free, but these are more than "free" or "gold" issues, it's game issues overall.

Ryans67
11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Next week a new leader board event will start. (Possibly collect ten, but likely auction). If the boycott is in effect during this event, it will be noticed. When the top prize drops from 1,000 parts to 200, it'll catch their eye.

Товарищ
11-04-2012, 08:15 AM
@Thunder Child that's why we need to reflect this boycot in the iTunes strore and Play store reviews.
Sure the forum and those reviews don't reach to the majority of GREE players, but it's better than doing nothing...

The point number 1. about good loot, was countered pretty thoroughly in other threads.
From what I understood it was an exploit. Exploits are found and "fixed" in all games. Players using such a thing don't only affect goldies, but other free players alike - it's just that goldies might take more offense...
And if you need to grind a single spot in a game which gives you an easy and big advantage, that makes the game boring and 1-dimentional imo. Not good gameplay.
BUT, I have no personal experience of this, so I might have missed something of key importance and sound completely stupid now :P

Point number 2. I have no idea about.

Arizona
11-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I agree with you TC, and have said fragments of what you did in other threads. Good concept, but one week is not long enough at all. To add, how many players are even aware and/or participating in this. While the forum seems big and super popular, it really isn't. I also stated this needs to be escalated to corporate-level employees, who are the decision makers when it comes to the bottom line. Just curious to see how this will all play out.
Hi Sugar
Glad to hear you weren't too badly affected by the storm. Now about this boycott....Ahhh screw it. Can't be arsed to talk about it anymore. I'm going after boss 31. See ya girl:)

Sugarymama
11-04-2012, 08:41 AM
LOL! I hear you Arizona. Good luck on the boss event!! I didn't even bother this time around...dropped my ally list pretty low so I'm not strong enough to go very far. I'm fine with it though. Got some great advice from a player on farming a sweet unit, so I've been doing that and camping. May as well do that for a while, and watch the latest drama unfold on here.

Speed ump
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
If you decide not to participate because you feel one voice won't make much difference, you're right. It will take a lot of us to be noticed. My dad once changed his mind on his vote for president as he did not feel his candidate could win. With thinking like that, he was right. This is the best avenue we have for being heard, and yes, each person naturally wi have his or her best intrests at heart. Personally I prefer to continue playing the game, despite the issues. I look past my personal thoughts and stand with my fellow brothers and players on the game to ask for the things that we should expect as paying customers. I have had the good fortune to have had the help of grees best employee at times, but he is limited by what he is allowed by his employers also. If I could, I would put this person in charge of the whole operation starting Monday morning. None of us would see everything we want, but I think we would receive what we should expect as a customer and then some.

Speed ump
11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I will admit some of my thinking is a bit selfish. I have a large monetary and time investment in the game. I have enjoyed much of my time, which is attributed to meeting some great people to share my game with. If this were not the case I would never have invested the money or time into the game that I have. I would like to see it able to continue, but I don't see that happening long term unless changes are made. Many players get fed up with the experience and response to issues. There have been many great suggestions for added content and improvements to the game that I have read here. Some of these wont result in a direct purchase of gold, but indirect due to players e Joyce t with the game. Some will result in direct purchases. I have no issues with free players. I do have issues with those who do t seem to care that my money, and others, has allowed them to be here. I'm happy to have them join, but if you truly cannot appreciate what you have, then don't play the game to begin with.

Bronson
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
None of us would see everything we want, but I think we would receive what we should expect as a customer and then some.

That right there!!!!!

Edd999
11-04-2012, 01:26 PM
A 1 week boycott will do nothing u have to boycott the auction events you will get no where until you do that if the same names are in the top 50 in the next event the boycott will have failed

MonkeyPuppy2012
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Gree doesnt care what you think

They have crunched the numbers and have the historical data.... they know if they start activity A then they will get a certain amount of money spent by the community.

You would have to go wide and deep, over a much longer period of time to make an impact

Speed ump
11-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Read what has been written guys. One week is a start, then asses any results. This will happen each week. Be part of the program and help make it wide and deep. Tell your friends, tell your enemies. Post it on your board. Are you happy with the service and response you receive. If the answeris yes, then do nothing. If the answer is o, here's a chance to do something. If you do nothing, then don't bother complaining later.

Agent Orange
11-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Gree doesnt care what you think

They have crunched the numbers and have the historical data.... they know if they start activity A then they will get a certain amount of money spent by the community.

You would have to go wide and deep, over a much longer period of time to make an impact

Sadly true to some degree. But it's always been that carrot dangling in front of your face that they have counted on. So if you are finally tired of carrots then perhaps this is the time to do something about it. But as you say if they drop an event on us and then toss us another bone in the form of a gold sale then I wonder what will happen.

But if we have enough resolve to ignore these carrots then they will have to listen.

Edd999
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
It is simple failure to boycott auctions =fail but there are probably only 1% of players that actually use this forum so there will be always ppl willing to spend to fill the void unless you can get a mass boycott involving thousands of players it will get no where

Ferr
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Been watching the boycott unfold all afternoon (where I am) and I have to say I am a little baffled.

While I agree with the majority of the widely held grievances that I've read in the various boycotting manifestos, I'm still not clear what anyone hopes to achieve through a boycott of raids, attacks and spending real money on gold, especially one that provisionally lasts just one week.

I've said it before and I'll happily say it again, the major issue which needs resolving is undoubtedly COMMUNICATION between Gree and the game's players, whether they are free or paying. Once communication happens, and remember it's a two way process, just about anything can be solved and/or resolved. But I fail to see how a boycott by players on the Forum (a fraction of the people actually playing MW) will in any way induce Gree to set up and then persevere with a line of communication that can get the 'fix-everything' ball rolling.

I wanted nothing more than to open a thread ("Thunder Child Joins...") expressing my solidarity with all of you - whom I respect very much indeed - but I cannot join a boycott that I believe is destined to be another whimsical flash in the pan (remember the gold boycott?); a week's worth of broad swipes at a faceless organization will achieve very little, since ultimately the people at Gree will lose next to no sleep over this and precious little revenue.

So you only support actions of which you are sure that the outcome will be positive? If thats the case dont support. I will await your thread in which you announce your much better cause of action.
Yours,

Ferr
11-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Sm i think a few would welcome your active support as a true veteran to this game;)

Speed ump
11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I can understandif someone only bets on a sure thing. This will cost you nothing, absolutely zero. If you are a soender, you save money. So many free plauers have chastized me, told me my life is the game andi should spend time with my family( though theyre playi g at the same time i am, so why is it im a bad family man and they are not, because i spend money? A whole nother discussion though) so go ahead and spend more time with your family. If you cant stay away, then spend your time spreading the word about what we are trying to accomplish. The more people that know, the more that might also have an intrest in making change.

Maverick50727
11-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Well said and I agree, Good luck regardless, % of income coming from the boycott probably won't matter much as the majority are the low spenders who will continue. I will say I won't be spending any gold but then I only spend $16 on this game and 15 was a gift card. That was my contribution and I won't spend any more real money until I see improvement in the game, forum and communications.

Actually I've been happy with some recent responses I've got from both Crime City Mark and support on my issues. I for one will be continuing my efforts in extending and improving collaboration and communication to both Gree and forum members as I have been doing silently for a while. This includes sharing information I have on bugs and glitches if they are willing to listen. I understand that the targets at Gree like CCM probably have their hands tied with lack of responsibility, authority or access to information, so people should keep that in mind. I feel for some of these guys on the support side as I understand and deal with this in my line of work also. I offer my knowledge and information freely to those needing it and have pointed out to Gree that in doing so Forum members offer a valuable resource like training, FAQ, docs, etc to players which can be a resource and benefit Gree in a reduction of bogus tickets that can be answers in FAQs.

Crime City Mark’s wish to increase forum awareness and exclusive forum events demonstrate a correct direction in my opinion. I have plans in the works too but are more long term in nature over the next few months. Change will be slow, but it starts with communications and cooperation from all parties. I will continue this battle as a battle on another front. In combination, maybe something can be done long term.

JohnnyR
11-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Mav, how do you feel about the Assault Bear not working. And the lies following. And the events following. With even more broke units? That they continue to milk gold players for more money without touching this issue, going so far as denying the issue and lying about it speaks volumes. This has to change. I have no horse in this, but expect THE RIGHT THING to be done. Lone Ranger stands for good does he not? I remember a reply to PJ not so long ago about morals and ethics.

Thunder Child
11-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Good to see this being discussed so fully....

Two issues that might make a difference. First, the one week "let's see what it achieves" boycott is not going to ruffle too many feathers. Personally, I would be on board if people committed, and I mean really COMMITTED, to a long term / permanent embargo on gold sales and ALL events. This would make a difference, I think. Second, and in conjunction with the above, as Speed says, people MUST get out there and spread the word - each and every person would have to spend the time usually spend raiding and attacking on visiting hundreds / thousands of walls to take this beyond the Forum. These two actions, combined and pursued vigorously, would no doubt have some effect if actioned over a number of weeks or even months. At some point, it would hopefully encourage the powers that be to open up lines of communication that might ultimately bring about change.

Speed ump
11-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Tc, i do believe that it was stated that this is expected to be a longer term event, and progress, if any will be examined after each week. There was no mention of it lasting for only a week. If all goals are met in a week, then icould very well be only a week, though i find that highly doubtful. The customer serbice people i habe spoken with would probably welcome much of the changes, as they would recieve much less complaints, and deal with much less resentment towards them as a result. They are the face that their customers see, and must deal with, so they must be theones to suffer this. I have been activly posting to hundreds of players, and will continues to do so. If more will do this, then we will have a chance to get the word out.

Maverick50727
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Mav, how do you feel about the Assault Bear not working. And the lies following. And the events following. With even more broke units? That they continue to milk gold players for more money without touching this issue, going so far as denying the issue and lying about it speaks volumes. This has to change. I have no horse in this, but expect THE RIGHT THING to be done. Lone Ranger stands for good does he not? I remember a reply to PJ not so long ago about morals and ethics.

My point is just that boycotts aren't new, they have been done in the past. If they work fine, but I don't expect them too. If they do it is just a temp fix for a current list. Without improved communications we will be back in the same boat soon.

About ethics/morals and broken units. Absolutely. If something doesn’t work it should be made to do so and people compensated IMO. I can't speak much to the bear as I don't have that unit nor all the details in communications. I don't think it was all blatant lies on the parts of many, but really caused by miscommunications again internal to Gree and to players. I could be wrong. Any large company where responsibility is broken up in various departments and go through re-orgs will see this. Add 24/7 expected support and multiple shifts then boom, if communication breaks down the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing.

Like I say, I know from experience. Just dealt with it recently in my job when a server was down over the weekend. The people monitoring reported it was down. We investigated and provided plans and ETAs. What happened, when the next shift came on duty who monitored that server? They reported it again as they saw an error as was in their scripts to do, simply because the previous team failed to put the information we provided in for the next team, so there was a breakdown resulting in contacting management at 5am. What do you think happened on the next shift change, yep the same thing. Why? A breakdown in communication and proper documentation to the correct parties

Wdigeorge
11-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Having an one off issue is one thing but continuing to offer these events and "special units" knowing that they don't work is unconscionable...not to mention the countless other problems. GREE must suspend all auction events and boss challenges and FIX the issues first before they continue with offering more of these events.

If you buy a car and the manufacture found out there is a serious design flaw where the engine can easily catch on fire, you can bet on that they won't be selling anymore cars until the problem is resolved and all the existing vehicles would be recalled. It is not so in MW, many of us are in flames and burning to death and pleading with GREE to fix the problem. Instead of fixing it, we are offered to buy another same model car with a different color with the same problem. I am done getting burned.

I don't really care if GREE will do anything at this point. I think many of us are making a point and a stand that we will not be ignored anymore and we are taking our money with us.

Selfproclaimed
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm just curious.. During the gold boycott,when It finally ended...what did it achieve? Because I didn't notice anything.