PDA

View Full Version : My Journey to Winning the Game

Idiosyncrasy
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
11/1/2012

Before I start, I know I don’t post a lot and I will not be a recognizable name to most. With that realization in mind, this is my journey to winning the game. I apologize for the length.

I began playing Crime City in June 2012. Since then, I have not skipped a day of playing. I have learned a lot about the game through experience and from reading the forum. What is most interesting to me about this game is how profoundly simple it is, yet there is so much strategy involved. You all know the different strategies and playing styles, so I won’t go into that. I have another goal with this post.

Today, at around 14:00 CST, I have decided to win the game. By winning the game, I mean I am throwing in the towel. Quitting. I have developed my character quite a bit (for level 58) and I very rarely have red in my news feed. I have been satisfied with my gaming experience, so this is not meant to show any haste or soreness. I simply am dissatisfied with the addiction that I have brought upon myself.

I have never felt so addicted to a game. Sure, I play some games for a while, but they are always finite with an end in sight. My wife gave birth to our first child (a baby boy) in July. I was not so addicted then, so I was able to refrain from collecting during that awesome time. However, since then, my addiction has taken over my life. When I wake up in the morning to go to work, I play. While at work, sometimes when I have a moment, I play. At lunch, when I eat by myself, I play. I am taking graduate classes part time in the evening, and during breaks, I play. When I come home, I play. While I am feeding my son a bottle, I play.

My wife is very understanding of some of my quirkiness, and she doesn’t really have anything against games. She has, however, noticed that I play this game a lot. While I appreciate the efforts of Gree (and the former Funzio staff), this last spur of events sent things over the top for me. With less than 20 stamina, I was playing all the time in an attempt to earn 650 PvP victories (which I did). Receiving rolls of toilet paper was like crack. I just wanted more. I had to get at least 10 jack-o-bombs since the prize was a non-consumable explosive (very rare at the low levels), which I did. And after all of my time invested, my life is exactly the same.

While entertained, I have accomplished nothing while playing the game. I have purchased about $25 worth of gold throughout my time, which was worth it. I am happy to contribute to something that I enjoy, and I have to admit that I have enjoyed myself during these months. It has simply become too time consuming. I am neglecting so many things in my life, so I have to break away.

I have always played games with finite goals. I like several genres of games, but they always have an end goal. In Crime City, the only end is level 200, and even then most of you say that life in the City is only beginning. Goals in the game appear to have no limit, and you get no closure of finishing the game. There is no credit reel, and there is no game complete notice. It just keeps going. Collect the buildings, buy more stuff, and click on other buildings and characters. Now, I am not trying to be spiteful, but there is a bit of repetition in the game mechanics. However, the strategy behind each player’s particular development is what kept it fresh for so long.

I could go into my philosophy about the game, but this post is long enough already. I must give Gree (really Funzio for creating the game) props for an excellent business model. In so many ways, they are guaranteeing an income for themselves, and they have created an enjoyable environment for their clients. Great job, guys.

However, as I have alluded, I must hang my hat. As of posting this thread, I have deleted the game from my device – Apple iPhone 4S, in case anyone was wondering. I have not deleted the game before and I am a man of my word, so this action is not an insignificant motion. I am simply recognizing my unhealthy relationship with the game, and I am taken the steps to correct it.

I heard that it takes around 21 days to break a habit, so I am using my fellow forum members as accountability partners. I know most of you won’t care, but I plan on making daily updates until at least 21 days have passed. If I fail on my commitment, then let it be known that I am making a strong attempt from the get-go. As my mother and sister have also quit smoking successfully only by using the cold-turkey method, that is also my intention for winning the game.

I follow a few forums online, so I don’t think that posting here will cause me to relapse. I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

Current feelings. I feel like a fog has been lifted. I felt an amount of anxiety at first when I realized that my level 4 lofts, level 6/7 MT’s, level 4/5 DR’s, level 3 beachside inns, level 3 brownstones, and other buildings were ready to be collected, but now I am relieved. It has only been 8 hours since I last logged in, but it feels good. I would post my current stats, but I was afraid that I would slip if I logged back in, so I deleted the game.

I am not letting go of gaming as a whole, but Crime City will have to take the sidelines. It was a great 5 months, but it is time for the next big thing. Here’s to winning the game.

HenryVIII
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Best of luck. Stay Strong.

Sunsets
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Good luck in life man.

SinSir
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I like the thread.

Hard work it be, but good luck.

Story of most players.

Dipstik
11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
tl;dr.

ironically... extra characters.

PawnXIIX
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
tl;dr.

ironically... extra characters.

Exactly. I hope everybody is still alive, reading it all drained the life out of me. I always put a TL;DR clause in my long posts :)

Feng1234
11-02-2012, 12:17 AM
11/1/2012

Before I start, I know I don’t post a lot and I will not be a recognizable name to most. With that realization in mind, this is my journey to winning the game. I apologize for the length.

I began playing Crime City in June 2012. Since then, I have not skipped a day of playing. I have learned a lot about the game through experience and from reading the forum. What is most interesting to me about this game is how profoundly simple it is, yet there is so much strategy involved. You all know the different strategies and playing styles, so I won’t go into that. I have another goal with this post.

Today, at around 14:00 CST, I have decided to win the game. By winning the game, I mean I am throwing in the towel. Quitting. I have developed my character quite a bit (for level 58) and I very rarely have red in my news feed. I have been satisfied with my gaming experience, so this is not meant to show any haste or soreness. I simply am dissatisfied with the addiction that I have brought upon myself.

I have never felt so addicted to a game. Sure, I play some games for a while, but they are always finite with an end in sight. My wife gave birth to our first child (a baby boy) in July. I was not so addicted then, so I was able to refrain from collecting during that awesome time. However, since then, my addiction has taken over my life. When I wake up in the morning to go to work, I play. While at work, sometimes when I have a moment, I play. At lunch, when I eat by myself, I play. I am taking graduate classes part time in the evening, and during breaks, I play. When I come home, I play. While I am feeding my son a bottle, I play.

My wife is very understanding of some of my quirkiness, and she doesn’t really have anything against games. She has, however, noticed that I play this game a lot. While I appreciate the efforts of Gree (and the former Funzio staff), this last spur of events sent things over the top for me. With less than 20 stamina, I was playing all the time in an attempt to earn 650 PvP victories (which I did). Receiving rolls of toilet paper was like crack. I just wanted more. I had to get at least 10 jack-o-bombs since the prize was a non-consumable explosive (very rare at the low levels), which I did. And after all of my time invested, my life is exactly the same.

While entertained, I have accomplished nothing while playing the game. I have purchased about $25 worth of gold throughout my time, which was worth it. I am happy to contribute to something that I enjoy, and I have to admit that I have enjoyed myself during these months. It has simply become too time consuming. I am neglecting so many things in my life, so I have to break away.

I have always played games with finite goals. I like several genres of games, but they always have an end goal. In Crime City, the only end is level 200, and even then most of you say that life in the City is only beginning. Goals in the game appear to have no limit, and you get no closure of finishing the game. There is no credit reel, and there is no game complete notice. It just keeps going. Collect the buildings, buy more stuff, and click on other buildings and characters. Now, I am not trying to be spiteful, but there is a bit of repetition in the game mechanics. However, the strategy behind each player’s particular development is what kept it fresh for so long.

I could go into my philosophy about the game, but this post is long enough already. I must give Gree (really Funzio for creating the game) props for an excellent business model. In so many ways, they are guaranteeing an income for themselves, and they have created an enjoyable environment for their clients. Great job, guys.

However, as I have alluded, I must hang my hat. As of posting this thread, I have deleted the game from my device – Apple iPhone 4S, in case anyone was wondering. I have not deleted the game before and I am a man of my word, so this action is not an insignificant motion. I am simply recognizing my unhealthy relationship with the game, and I am taken the steps to correct it.

I heard that it takes around 21 days to break a habit, so I am using my fellow forum members as accountability partners. I know most of you won’t care, but I plan on making daily updates until at least 21 days have passed. If I fail on my commitment, then let it be known that I am making a strong attempt from the get-go. As my mother and sister have also quit smoking successfully only by using the cold-turkey method, that is also my intention for winning the game.

I follow a few forums online, so I don’t think that posting here will cause me to relapse. I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

Current feelings. I feel like a fog has been lifted. I felt an amount of anxiety at first when I realized that my level 4 lofts, level 6/7 MT’s, level 4/5 DR’s, level 3 beachside inns, level 3 brownstones, and other buildings were ready to be collected, but now I am relieved. It has only been 8 hours since I last logged in, but it feels good. I would post my current stats, but I was afraid that I would slip if I logged back in, so I deleted the game.

I am not letting go of gaming as a whole, but Crime City will have to take the sidelines. It was a great 5 months, but it is time for the next big thing. Here’s to winning the game.

Lol. You sound like a perfect customer for a crack dealer.

But good luck and have fun.

SevenO9
11-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Godspeed. Admitting your addicition is the most important step. Now it gets easier every day. Been thru the same with a stupid game called WoW, nearly ruined my privat and professional life. Such an improvement since I got rid of that monkey. Sad that a game which is supposed to entertain can actually hurt.

Coco c
11-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Very well said. Good luck, and enjoy your real life now. Babies grow up so fast and it would be a shame to miss any of it.

Vito Corleone
11-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Good luck to you!

SiennaSharpe
11-02-2012, 05:12 AM
It's interesting how many people can have different perspectives on the same game. One of the things I like best about CC is that I can play as intensely or not play at all for a few days and just pick things up easily when I return. Yes, someone will have stumbled on to my hood and robbed me if I disappear for a few days, but so what? I don't really lose anything. We are all really only playing against our own idea of how we define doing well in-game.

honeybadger
11-02-2012, 05:32 AM
You can't have won the game...R2D2 from lvl 71 told me that I was the strongest player with the best stats he'd ever seen!

Now that you've apparently changed what the game is, and being the competitive person I am, I'm going to quit the game too and will only need 19 days! Do you have a blog or twitter acct that I can post my taunts to you?

Of course I'm kidding - congratulations, cheers and best of luck to you and yours!

Auxilium
11-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Good luck and if i can use a small part of your text what refers to me. 'It has simply become very time consuming. I am neglecting so many things in my life, so I have to break away soon'. Good luck.

honeybadger
11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
10am just came and went and my nightclubs have been awaiting collection for 30mins now. I think your message may have affected me on some level. Maybe this is that moment?... like getting bullets in poker and trying to fold them preflop? You've got the best of it (nightclubs, 100K+ atk, Over a 99 winning %. never lost a robber, endless supply of TP) Where else is there to go? Is this as high as I'm ever going to be?

<tap tap> I just collected. I'll try and avoid the temptation in another 6 hours.

In all seriousness I'm not where you are yet but I know I'm getting there.

Jian Carlo
11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Good luck in all your new goals. Don't comeback to the forum just to check what's going on, that draws you back again. Stay strong, it isn't easy but I'm sure you'll get that life back and enjoy your son.

honeybadger
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
That is one sweet avatar Jian Carlo!

Good advice too.

Idiosyncrasy
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement! Again, sorry for the long original post. It just kept flowing. I'll try not to bump this thread too often.

So, I wasn't trying to imply that it consumed all of my life; it really consumed more of my mind. I was able to keep myself from playing when I needed to, but it was like forcing yourself to not scratch an itch. Others may not notice, but it starts to drive you mad.

Today (day 2) was a good day. When I arrived at my office, I couldn't help but think about how I had a fresh scratcher waiting for me, but I was able to dismiss the thought. I figured that I may starting to run low on toilet paper (in game) due to people trying to rob all my buildings, but that's okay. Lastly, I wondered when the next boss event would spark. I had been looking forward to the next boss event with all the toilet paper explosives I had stocked up, knowing that I had a good chance of getting much further than my typical 18 bosses. Then I realized that I was free from the itch, and I let it leave me.

I went out to lunch with a bunch of guys I work with and we all crammed into one car. On the ride to our spot, the guy on my left pulled out his iPhone and started playing a game. It looked to be of a very similar style to CC. I knew that this was my test, and I found it ironically amusing. I did, however, inquire about his game, thinking it may be Monster Quest or something. I don't remember what he said, but it wasn't a Gree game. He said that he usually picks up a game, plays it for a week or two, and then he's done with it. I said, "Yeah, I just recently got done with playing a game that looks similar to that. It was pretty addicting."

After work, I met my wife, our 4 month old son, our two dogs, and a friend at a park. The friend took pictures of us as a family for our Christmas card (as she has done for the last 4 years for us). Knowing that I didn't have to sit in the car for a few extra minutes to check my game before getting out was a nice feeling.

Looking at the forum, I see that the next epic boss event is out, but it's all good. I am here.

TZora
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
geez .. many people can co-relate this story to themselves .. and i'm no different. i've been playing this game like anything, playing while cooking .. studying .. driving .. at market .. even in the toilet lol. now that we have toilet papers in the game, i dont have to feel awkward carrying my mobile to the toilet lmao

here's what i did to make sure i don't stay glued to my mobile all the time. deleted all the buildings that had collection times below 12 hours except a couple buildings bought with gold. i can afford to collect my buildings twice a day. and in the act, i deleted/removed/sold my 2 level 2 nightclubs and many other buildings ..

i was soooo relieved, i can't tell you.

now i use a timer/alarm clock in order to collect my buildings. i can afford to pay attention to the game twice in a day, that's just fine. well, it was .. until all these events took over. and now i'm feeling that i should stop giving so much attention to these events because they are making life even worse lol. so what should i do .. hmmm

wait .. epic boss approaching .. be right back :rolleyes:

Quirt
11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Good post Idiosyncrasy --- I read every word :P

I'm good with my level of play -- which at the moment is constant LOL :-D
I have yet to miss a collection on my NC --- I have yet to miss a free scratcher (since their inception)
BUT I cut waaaayyy back on "events" I used to do hourly "opens" (or attempts) -- last event I didn't even get 10 :-( which annoyed the heck outta me since I really wanted that non-consumable bomb -- but "say liver" :-) if there's one or two things I've learned from this game = there will always be another event just around the corner and there will ALWAYS be someone stronger than me.

As has already been said -- I like the MANY different ways this game can be played and when I enter the "shark tank" if I get too bothered by the "red" on my news feed I'll just sell most of my $ buildings (keep the 24hr/48hr ones) and play the "maps" :-)

Congrats on winning the game! If I come across too many more cheaters/hackers I won't be far behind you in "winning"

Cheers

LongFingers
11-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Good post Idiosyncrasy!
Lot of players are in the same situation, playing all the time, at home, at work, everywhere...
Improving stats, getting new items, waiting new events and trying to be like the top players that we meet here, some of them in a constant war.

This game can be your life or not.
*It's your time and your life, you choose how you spend it.
Good decision and welcome to your real life again.

Pony Tail
01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
11/1/2012

I heard that it takes around 21 days to break a habit, so I am using my fellow forum members as accountability partners. I know most of you won’t care, but I plan on making daily updates until at least 21 days have passed. If I fail on my commitment, then let it be known that I am making a strong attempt from the get-go.

So it has been two months since Idiosnycrazy's last post. He said he was going to add to this thread every day for 21 days. He either fell off the wagon and reinstalled the game or decided that posting to this thread made no more sense than continuing to play the game.

I guess we will never know which happened.

Dipstik
01-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Ahhh fluttershy. A good choice!

Nicky the Nose
01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
What is fluttershy ?

Dipstik
01-04-2013, 08:05 AM
The pony in his avatar.

Sunsets
01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
So it has been two months since Idiosnycrazy's last post. He said he was going to add to this thread every day for 21 days. He either fell off the wagon and reinstalled the game or decided that posting to this thread made no more sense than continuing to play the game.

In all honesty, I applaud him for not continuing to update this thread. That is the ultimate victory. Hanging around these gaming forums after "quitting" the game will only get you to thinking about the game again. Given enough time, those thoughts will eventually end up regenerating your interest in the game; and before you know it, you'll probably have to "try it out" again, and end up right back in the same addiction problem.

Quitting alone is undoubtedly one the hardest parts - But it can very well be one of the most rewarding decisions of your entire life.

Hero of Time
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Don't necro threads.

Dipstik
01-04-2013, 10:47 AM
shut up santa.

Deluxe
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Don't necro threads.

I dont know if you think you are being funny but im pretty tired of seeing that message so bug off you dumb kid.

Idiosyncrasy
01-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Sorry for the lack of posts. Your latter assumption was correct.

I have come back to the forums from time to time just to see how the community is interacting, but I have stayed true to my commitment and the game has remained uninstalled. I was kind of surprised to see this thread bumped today.

There are a lot of smart people here (and even more idiotic people), so I have checked back to see how things have progressed. Luckily, it has gotten to the point where I don't follow the new events, so I don't feel much of a tug to come back in. I dropped out shortly after the toilet paper event, just for reference.

In all honesty, I applaud him for not continuing to update this thread. That is the ultimate victory. Hanging around these gaming forums after "quitting" the game will only get you to thinking about the game again. Given enough time, those thoughts will eventually end up regenerating your interest in the game; and before you know it, you'll probably have to "try it out" again, and end up right back in the same addiction problem.

Quitting alone is undoubtedly one the hardest parts - But it can very well be one of the most rewarding decisions of your entire life.

I appreciate the kudos! I realized that most people wouldn't be very interested in my progress, and you are right that it was easier to just put it out of sight and out of mind.

This was a very rewarding decision for me. It's fine if others play the game, but I am in a better state of mind without out it.

TZora
01-05-2013, 05:54 AM
i couldn't play the game for 5 days and my life was so beautiful and better lol .. now that support fixed the problem with my game, i'm again glued to my phone hehehe