PDA

View Full Version : Newest leaderboard top prize unit sea boost is not working in pvp, testresults.

Ferr
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I won this leaderboard and i have received the top prize: the sea unit named ragnarok battlecruiser 3570/1885 and supposedly a 20% sea boost. I can immediately conclude that my stats did not go up other than the few thousands attack and defense as stated on the unit. The back bone of my sea force consist of 695 wavebreakers with stats 370/255 and lots of additional strong sea units such as 15 riptide runners with stats 325/225. Hence, with an additional 20% sea boost my stats should have risen dramatically (about 50.000). This did not happen. hence, the boost is invisible just like all the other ground and air boosts.

however, The major reason why i wanted this unit is to test for myself wether this boost would work invisibly in pvp or not. For this reason i have attacked 8 different rivals relentlessly during the last half hour of the event and wrote down the attack results. Then immediately upon receiving the ragnarok sea unit i attacked the same 8 different rivals again.
If my sea boost was working i should see this in a changed (lower) amount of Battle Points. I can tell you guys the attack results were identical, no change at all. I will post test results below. Does anyone have another possible theoretical explanation for this test other than that the sea boost is not working in pvp?

Ferr
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I won this leaderboard and i have received the top prize: the sea unit named ragnarok battlecruiser 3570/1885 and supposedly a 20% sea boost. I can immediately conclude that my stats did not go up other than the few thousands attack and defense as stated on the unit. The back bone of my sea force consist of 695 wavebreakers with stats 370/255 and lots of additional strong sea units such as 15 riptide runners with stats 325/225. Hence, with an additional 20% sea boost my stats should have risen dramatically (about 50.000). This did not happen. hence, the boost is invisible just like all the other ground and air boosts.

however, The major reason why i wanted this unit is to test for myself wether this boost would work invisibly in pvp or not. For this reason i have attacked 8 different rivals relentlessly during the last half hour of the event and wrote down the attack results. Then immediately upon receiving the ragnarok sea unit i attacked the same 8 different rivals again.
If my sea boost was working i should see this in a changed (lower) amount of Battle Points. I can tell you guys the attack results were identical, no change at all. I will post test results below. Does anyone have another possible theoretical explanation for this test other than that the sea boost is not working in pvp?

My test results:
All attack and defense stats of the 8 rivals did not change much during my attacks
My apologies to the 8 i had to harass ;). Its for the good cause!

I attacked palus, level 155
Before and after the unit i got 143 bp

I attacked VL, level 200
Before and after the unit i got 426 bp

I attacked LRRP, level 159
Before and after the unit i got 189 bp

I attacked john, level 200
Before the unit i got 236 bp, and after the unit i got 236 bp

I attacked Bo Ob, level 200
Before and after the unit i got 195 bp

I attacked yukigaag, level 164
Before and after the unit i got 133 bp

I attacked rub, level 135
Before and after the unit i got 145 bp

I attacked gunit, level 186
Before and after the unit i got 162 bp

Ramshutu
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM

From an implementation point of view, it depends where in the code chain the boost is calculated.

The app has various different 'functions' that use your stats:

- what other players see.
- what you see.
- what the boss event attack is.
- your chance of beating an oponent in PvP.
- battle points calculation.

These are not all the same calculation as:
A) players don't/shouldn't see your boosts.
B) the PvP calculation is complicated, considering 'strong against units' and does not simply take your raw stats into the equation.

you would generally have a single point of definition: one place where stats are calculated, but as PvP takes into account 'strong against' units in the calculation, it maybe the case that the boost is applied ONLY in the case of the PvP calculation.

I'm not saying it is right, or what is expected, but could be the case (and based on my understanding based on a hint CCM gave ages ago in a different thread about one of the first boost units) that the boost only applies to PvP.

There is also potentially a good reason for this due to the structure of the code, but IMO this is poor design of the platform itself and, as such, not your problem.

Ramshutu
10-15-2012, 04:21 PM
One example for the Boss events, the server may have a single 'get stats' call that returns your a/d, but this same 'get stats' call made to the server is used by other players to return your stats, and to calculate battle points.

If this hasn't been changed to include boosts (for some speed, or database lookup reason), other players, and boss battles may not show the boost, but in the PvP calculation it does.

What is more worrisome, is that the boost is not showing in your stats. As a programmer I think that is a good indication that the boost doesn't work, as other boost units do add to the stats, and as such there is no structural problem with doing so here.

Ferr
10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
From an implementation point of view, it depends where in the code chain the boost is calculated.

The app has various different 'functions' that use your stats:

- what other players see.
- what you see.
- what the boss event attack is.
- your chance of beating an oponent in PvP.
- battle points calculation.

These are not all the same calculation as:
A) players don't/shouldn't see your boosts.
B) the PvP calculation is complicated, considering 'strong against units' and does not simply take your raw stats into the equation.

you would generally have a single point of definition: one place where stats are calculated, but as PvP takes into account 'strong against' units in the calculation, it maybe the case that the boost is applied ONLY in the case of the PvP calculation.

I'm not saying it is right, or what is expected, but could be the case (and based on my understanding based on a hint CCM gave ages ago in a different thread about one of the first boost units) that the boost only applies to PvP.

There is also potentially a good reason for this due to the structure of the code, but IMO this is poor design of the platform itself and, as such, not your problem.

If i drop a few allies, this will instantly show on my bp does it not?

Q Raider
10-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Possible theoretical explanation.......

1. The "invisible" boost is applied at the server end after an attack/raid is implemented.

2. The "Win/Loss" decision takes into account the "invisible" boost, Attack Vs Defence stats, strong against, Attack Skill points, Defence Skill points plus a "random luck" element.

3. The "invisible" boost is not applied to the B.P. calculation which, after the win/loss decision has been made determines the B.P.'s awarded based on player Vs player raw strength.

Logical explanation......It is working just as effectively as the Assault Bear.....

Edit: Or just waht Ram sadi, he obviously types a heck of a lot quicker than I do ;)

Alaska Ken
10-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Sorry Ferr, for some strange reason this doesn't surprise me. 😡

Ferr
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Possible theoretical explanation.......

1. The "invisible" boost is applied at the server end after an attack/raid is implemented.

2. The "Win/Loss" decision takes into account the "invisible" boost, Attack Vs Defence stats, strong against, Attack Skill points, Defence Skill points plus a "random luck" element.

3. The "invisible" boost is not applied to the B.P. calculation which, after the win/loss decision has been made determines the B.P.'s awarded based on player Vs player raw strength.

Logical explanation......It is working just as effectively as the Assault Bear.....
Yeah lol, i should have 80% ground boost, 20% air boost and 20% sea boost. All these boost do not affect my bp when attacking. When i drop a few allies my bp instantly changes. I have had it with these lies, they do not work.

bigflan
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey you can donate the unit to me I will accept it with wide arms even without a boost

Anyway I'm not surprised

BigD@wg
10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Ferr -

Congrats on your come from behind win on the auction. Very impressive I must say. Sad news about the boost but I guess that most expected this to happen. I'm curious why these unit boosts were not set up to be effective on the bosses though. The energy regeneration apparently works in PVE and in the boss events. Why have one type unit boost work unilaterally across the game and not the others? Just a hmmmmmmm!

Hondo
10-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Ferr, I may be a bit lost here, but why would the boost change your BP. I thought it just increased your attack/defense. Am I to assume your attack is calculated into how many BP's you earn?

BigD@wg
10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Ferr, I may be a bit lost here, but why would the boost change your BP. I thought it just increased your attack/defense. Am I to assume your attack is calculated into how many BP's you earn?

BPs are calculated based on the strength of the player attacked in relation to the stats of the attacker. Therefore, theoretically the BP's should have dropped after the boost was in effect. The gap between his stats and the stats of the attacked would have increased. When you attack players closer to your own strength or higher... More BPs.

Hondo
10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I did not know that big dog. Thanks for the lesson. I knew I was missing something.

BigD@wg
10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I did not know that big dog. Thanks for the lesson. I knew I was missing something.

No problem.

Gambit12
10-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Introducing the latest & the 4th installment of auction event grand prize..!!

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg622/Swyn1221/FFB4037C-55BB-47A7-9C2B-57D9C7F58FAB-22927-000010F2ABB1CDE5_zps15fbd32f.jpg

azy
10-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Ferr's test methodology is as sound as the final implication is disappointing.

albeezy
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Did I call the wave breaker deal or what? Ferr I think the best thing would be for CCMark to simply post a brief explanation of what part of these units works and how they confirmed. I think that is the least they could do

BigD@wg
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Did I call the wave breaker deal or what? Ferr I think the best thing would be for CCMark to simply post a brief explanation of what part of these units works and how they confirmed. I think that is the least they could do

Actually, I would prefer their least to be make them visible so that we know they work. Then maybe the players could have a little renewed faith in this game and the people running this thing.

albeezy
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes that would be best BigD@wg. I did receive an email from support that they are working on making them visible but there was no timetable. But until then a little data showing the server side calcs are working would put a lot of players at ease. I fear this can't happen though because to show the 20% boost is working they might have to divulge some I'd Ty skill point stuff and how that factors in

BigD@wg
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Yes that would be best BigD@wg. I did receive an email from support that they are working on making them visible but there was no timetable. But until then a little data showing the server side calcs are working would put a lot of players at ease. I fear this can't happen though because to show the 20% boost is working they might have to divulge some I'd Ty skill point stuff and how that factors in

Glad someone gets responses from support. I sent ticket the day I got striker and still not a peep! Calcs would be nice to see but you are most likely correct in that they will not show those.

JohnnyR
10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Regardless their explanations, to make these boosts "invisible" just asks for problems...

Ferr, glad you are on this man.

MonkeyPuppy2012
10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Gratzz Ferr

As usual sorry They can't do anything right.. amazing I must say

Copenhagen
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Congrats, Ferr. This entire thing is incredible... Thanks for leading the charge!

Fun
10-15-2012, 08:00 PM
congrats, but unlucky about the boost too maybe one decade they will make boosts visible

mxz
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't keep up with a lot of the MW threads so excuse me if this has been done...has it been confirmed that boosts factor into BP? A simple test to confirm this would be to start a boost building upgrade, PVP a few hours/minutes before the upgrade finishes, and attack the same rivals after it finishes.

jeffrey
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Ferr, you finished first again!! I thought you trailed Pirate United Nation by about 300 sprockets with few hours to go.

mickymacirl
10-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Lolz..... I just seen a level 15 character with 1,201 Ragnarok Battle-cruisers. My guess is he didn't spend 1,000s of euros for these units :P

Ferr
10-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Lolz..... I just seen a level 15 character with 1,201 Ragnarok Battle-cruisers. My guess is he didn't spend 1,000s of euros for these units :P
Ask him to do some testing ;)

mickymacirl
10-16-2012, 02:02 AM
By all accounts he's testing the hell outa the game!!!

PIRATE JUSTICE
10-16-2012, 04:19 AM
I'd say Gree is doing everything right, somehow they can get people to spend real cash to compete for non-working, unknown trinkets.

Best part of what Gree is doing is they keep doing it, and people fall all over themselves to compete for broken, useless trinkets.

Gree does a remarkable job at marketing and selling the sizzle.

It gets better, because they make money, and you don't get fat!

Don't believe the loudest voice you hear on the square.

That voice often belongs to the scammer.

The voice is part of the "con".

The voice is working for the man.

Isn't a rosé bush a plant?

You doggone know it is, a plant with beautiful flowers and prickly thorns.

Товарищ
10-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Ferr, I really admire what you've done!
However as previously mentioned, the BP calculation might not include boosts. (Not that I know exactly what BP is since I'm on Android)
If I've understood it correctly, the stats you have (including the strong vs.) together with your characters stats, together with boosts determine the probability of winning an attack. (not sure if attacking and raiding are classified differently)
This means, that the test that SHOULD be done is against a player that you both lose and win against pre boost, and see if this changes noticeably after boost. This would be tricky though since it involves probability, so you'd have to do many tests, like 10-20 (and then tenfold that to get another significant digit!).

One could test this with other boosts, from buildings/countries (at potentially alot of sacrificed upg time!), just too see if ANY boosts work at all. But that still wouldn't prove the individual unit boosts, since it depends on how they implement them in their programming.

There are two possibilities if the unit boosts actually don't work: A very bad one where they just simply haven't gone to the trouble of implementing boosts from individual units (requires additional/modification of code).
A quite bad one where they've made an error (bug) in implementation resulting the boost not working or doing massively too little difference.

The best solution would be from GREE's side and is to write out the effective attack stats, which no doubt is an existing variable or atleast a very easily attainable one.

In any case, the programmers are either under bad orders to not do anything, or under orders to focus on another project, or are extremely incompetent!
Since implementing these boosts is basically adding an "if unit X exists" operation followed by "then multiply the relevant variable(s) with a factor corresponding to the boost".

Miner
10-16-2012, 07:56 AM
The problem is that I'm not sure he can find a player he loses to! I won't post what his stats are showing up as here, but let's just say he could need an extra comma within a couple months if he keeps up the pace he's on.

CJ54
10-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I checked with the devs since I was not clear on this myself, but the range of BPs you can receive should be solely based on what your player level is versus their player level. Relative strength (your A/D versus their A/D) should not be counting into this at all.

Fun
10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I checked with the devs since I was not clear on this myself, but the range of BPs you can receive should be solely based on what your player level is versus their player level. Relative strength (your A/D versus their A/D) should not be counting into this at all. how come I cam attack two players at the same level and get different BP from each one?

dthfrmabv
10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
how come I cam attack two players at the same level and get different BP from each one?

Fun he said "range" so that may explain the variance you are seeing when attacking same leveled players...

albeezy
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I checked with the devs since I was not clear on this myself, but the range of BPs you can receive should be solely based on what your player level is versus their player level. Relative strength (your A/D versus their A/D) should not be counting into this at all.

UHOH! Sound the ALERT!

Two level 151 players giving off different BPs.

http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/pictur18.png (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=91&u=17569328)
http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/pictur21.png (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=94&u=17569328)

While your explanation would have definitely gave more strength to the claims by support that the assault bear and g-striker boost work invisibly on the server, it is apparently not entirely true. There is more to BPs calculations than the rival's level relative to the attackers level.

EDIT: As for this range business:
In addition to the pics above, I have some of a level 167 only giving off 69 BPs despite being 16 levels above the twto rivals above, and being 10 levels above me instead of 6 levels below me. Another where a level 157, same as me, only gives off 55 BPs.

Here are the pics:
http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/pictur22.png (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=95&u=17569328)
http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/pictur23.png (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=96&u=17569328)

Guess that range goes from 0-some other number?

Time to re-tool that "it works invisibly on the server" response...

Corsair
10-16-2012, 03:25 PM
I checked with the devs since I was not clear on this myself, but the range of BPs you can receive should be solely based on what your player level is versus their player level. Relative strength (your A/D versus their A/D) should not be counting into this at all.That is funny...is it possible that the devs don't even know what they've implemented? Do you guys document your design specs? (these are rhetorical questions...)

Attack a player...then take out their boosts and attack them again...see what happens to BP.

And for more fun...based on evidence, the next auction event grand prize is going to be an infantry boost. I don't sense much worry on the part of Gree relating to any non-functioning boosts...

Fl@sh
10-16-2012, 03:33 PM
When I attack a player and raid their composites factory, take it completely out, then attack another building, the battle points go down. Perhaps the devs need to be a little more aware of how the game they program works.

albeezy
10-16-2012, 03:37 PM
And for more fun...based on evidence, the next auction event grand prize is going to be an infantry boost.

And after this it will beginto recycle through them all again only with a +20% defense from ground, air, sea, infantry! Boom next 5 non-boss events done!

Selfproclaimed
10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Attack 2 different people the same level as you.. Maybe I'm missing something here in what cj said... But I think their wrong. Even I've noticed the range is also in relation to ones a/d. I wonder if this is going to be another one of them deals where they keep telling us one thing when we know it to be false..

Dr. Dengus
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Are you guys hiring CJ? I obviously understand the game better than whoever you asked about how BP's work.

BigD@wg
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Obviously, your Devs have no clue how the BPs work. I attack weak players I get low BP. I attack strong players I get high BP. All players in same level. Same result time and time again. Maybe the DEVs should play the game and test these things before false information is given. If they don't know how the BPs work then I'm certainly NEVER going to trust their word that my invisible boost works. Geez... Get it together!

Col.34w
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Wow CJ really? How are we supposed to have any confidence whatsoever in the devs? Ehh..Modern War...a game where you battle others to get valor and BP to get better valor units..your BP earned varies based on opponents...blah..blah..blah..we all know how it works and so should Gree..
"C'mon man!"

albeezy
10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow CJ really? How are we supposed to have any confidence whatsoever in the devs? Ehh..Modern War...a game where you battle others to get valor and BP to get better valor units..your BP earned varies based on opponents...blah..blah..blah..we all know how it works and so should Gree..
"C'mon man!"

ENTER CCMark STAGE LEFT: "It's being looked into. That's all I can say for now."

JohnnyR
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Maybe it should be. This is not the case however. Same levels, and I can get 50 BPs or 300 BPs, only based on defense stats being wildly different fom mine (lower and higher).

For what it's worth, the BP point system makes sense to me and I bet others now as well, but if it's completely different from what you guys imagined, you should also know that our BPs got drastically reduced some months back. I'd rather have more BPs period, that I can determine via stat comparison than some level corresponding thing.

Speed ump
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Say its not so, you mean another non working unit, gree not prepared for a contest. Anyone surprised? Just a wild guess ferr, and completely invalid, but maybe the boost only works on real, ie gold or cash or indestructable, units and not on loot items. Of course its easy to see why they keep doing it, we keep going ape over these things and spend lots to play. Slow the roll gree, make sure whatever you offer works beore you offer. Still cant believe how this last one was handled with no splash screen on that unit. Actually i can, just trying to make a point. Forget the claims of boost and just pony up some even higher figures on the unit. You can see those numbers. No one seems to have problems with boost buildings providing the claimed boost, so why is it so hard to do with units? I do get the feeling theyre basicaly patching a program that was not intended to provide these types of things in the original design. Sounds like time to invest in rewriting larger portions, if not all the code in a new update, or version of the game. What would steve do? Lol.

albeezy
10-16-2012, 10:01 PM
What would steve do? Lol.
Are you here for scuba?
http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/diggertmeschferal/FJ4NfHPAZzQYJ2Bvm8ZRnAkhvs1RucCVTLSimaNCeg4qHHpbde pVz0Wmeiyc/tumblr_len8d6pR561qbqfjwo1_500.jpg

CJ54
10-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Argh, I had a fuller answer to this that my computer ate. The short version is, sorry for the bad info, we haven't touched the Ranking system in several months and the devs I spoke to (who worked on it) were answering from memory. I'm talking to the person who designed (and can see) the algorithm right now.

The Ranking system is admittedly a bit of a personal blindspot, since I don't attack players on the live severs (for obvious reasons).

albeezy
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Argh, I had a fuller answer to this that my computer ate. The short version is, sorry for the bad info, we haven't touched the Ranking system in several months and the devs I spoke to (who worked on it) were answering from memory. I'm talking to the person who designed (and can see) the algorithm right now.

The Ranking system is admittedly a bit of a personal blindspot, since I don't attack players on the live severs (for obvious reasons).

While you are talking to him why dont you ask him why they didnt just hardcode the "invisible boost" units as level 10 composite factories that boost attack by 20% for ground units, air units, or sea units respectively. Then it should show up in our stats and work?

EDIT: As for attacking players on the live server, sounds like "Doug" is due for an upgrade. Fl@sh is looking for him...

Speed ump
10-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Oh come on cj, we dont mind if you attack us on the live servers.

CJ54
10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Oh come on cj, we dont mind if you attack us on the live servers.

It's a personal point of pride that I not create any cheat reports that I'd then have to answer. Seriously, I think the last time I attacked a player on live, it was Christmas day and there was some weird attack issue that we desperately needed to verify. The only people on were me, CCM, and one of our heads of engineering. So I beat some poor random player like a drum, left a bunch of gold in his inventory by way of apology, and then vanished into the night like some kind of deranged mall Santa with poor impulse control. Extenuating circumstances and all.

Dhusagar
10-16-2012, 11:41 PM
It's a personal point of pride that I not create any cheat reports that I'd then have to answer. Seriously, I think the last time I attacked a player on live, it was Christmas day and there was some weird attack issue that we desperately needed to verify. The only people on were me, CCM, and one of our heads of engineering. So I beat some poor random player like a drum, left a bunch of gold in his inventory by way of apology, and then vanished into the night like some kind of deranged mall Santa with poor impulse control. Extenuating circumstances and all.

PMSL - Santa with attitude!

PIRATE JUSTICE
10-16-2012, 11:42 PM

I'm writing a book (as well as a movie script) about certain on line gaming experiences, Chris.

You can bet any number of valuable items that an incident "similar to the one described" will now make its way into the literary and on screen versions.

I have some funny stories, but that one is a classic!!!!

Of course, to paraphrase Dragnet, "the names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty".

Thanks you so much.

Giedrybe
10-17-2012, 12:24 AM
As many have said, just to support what was said, BP amount strongly (or solely) correlate with attack stat of attacker vs defense stat of defender. If player level makes into formula, it is clearly minor part of formula.

This is so stable in all pvp results, that I think we can say we see/know the general idea what determines BP points. That's why it was even taken as a base for evaluating boost effect, because BP was always dropping if you increase attack vs your opponent.

Speed ump
10-17-2012, 06:07 AM
So that was you, i was wondering why all the free gold. Thanks for the beating.so youre the reason why i spent all that money to not be beat again.lol

mxz
10-17-2012, 06:17 AM
You and CCM were hanging out on Christmas Day? You Godless bastards... :shakesfist:

Miner
10-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I checked with the devs since I was not clear on this myself, but the range of BPs you can receive should be solely based on what your player level is versus their player level. Relative strength (your A/D versus their A/D) should not be counting into this at all.I realize I'm a little late to jump on this. But Uhm..... CJ, your dev doesn't know what he's talking about. In practice, BPs have nothing to do with your level and everything to do with your stats relative to theirs. I'm happy to provide all the screen prints you wish on this one. Have your dev PM me and I'd be happy to deliver my message directly and tell him how his code works in practice. Haha ;)

Gambit12
10-17-2012, 08:01 AM

You can test my account but don't forget to drop bunch of gold after the testing...You are always welcome to test it, just take your time...i don't mind.