PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Beginners Guide To Surviving The Funzio Forums

mxz
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I have a few simple pieces of advice to make your transition from junior member to senior member enjoyable and fruitful based on my experience joining a few months ago.

Golden rule: Look Good
Pretty much every other piece of advice stems from this. You can't look good when you're bragging about something or in the middle of a screaming match on the internet.

1. Read the other beginner guides first
Don't jump into posting right away. Take your time to get acquainted with some of the basic, most well read and commended threads.
Here are some suggestions:
Posting Guidelines (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?6199-Posting-Guidelines)
Best of the best Crime City guide threads (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?29487-The-Updated-quot-Best-of-the-Best-quot-Guides!)

2. Get to know the dynamics of the veterans
There are a lot of in-forum politics, norms and potential landmines. By observing for a week or so you'll get a better understanding of some of these which may help you avoid being labeled a troll.

3. Don't try to make a name for yourself
If you have something worth sharing it will be recognized on its own in due time. Attempting to toot your own horn is noticed and frowned upon. Too often I've seen folks end up getting ostracized in-forum and in-game for this offense.

4. Don't call out gangs or strong players (e.g. CK, the Indians, etc..)
These players tend to have lots of friends who will stop at nothing to try to ruin your experience...don't let that happen, don't poke the beehive.

5. If a veteran member requests you delete a post/thread, you probably should

6. If multiple veteran members request that you delete a post/thread; you definitely should

7. When in doubt - use private messaging
If it might violate any other suggestion, PM an active veteran member. People respond more positively to things asked or said in private. 99% of members will gladly help any new member that PMs them.

Dipstik
10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Rule #8: There are no girls on the internet.

(MS13)TURKISHTIGER
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
lol no girls means no pus$y

Deluxe
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Very good son, very good

Kingg of hell
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Dravak you should read this!
you have too many copy and paste thread. copy and paste account! aha!

Dipstik
10-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Your father has taught you well, son.

TruthHurts
10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Someone sticky this! Nice post mxz!

Kingg of hell
10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Oh no! that's a discrimination! Dravak babe is a girl!

Deluxe
10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Well stated mxz; like most of your additions to the forum! Cheers!

Dravak
10-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh no! that's a discrimination! Dravak babe is a girl!

Oh somebody feel really butthurt ;) but side subject stop derailing a legit thread , already have three thread bashing me ..

Do we really need to bring this to normal ?

PawnXIIX
10-14-2012, 08:06 PM
5. If a veteran member requests you delete a post/thread, you probably should

6. If multiple veteran members request that you delete a post/thread; you definitely should

*looks at thread about new event style* <.<

Stock Slayer
10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Solid advice. I learned this too late. I was playing CC for 8 months before I knew this even existed. I def trashed my own rep, unrepairable.... oh well.

iteachem
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Solid advice. I learned this too late. I was playing CC for 8 months before I knew this even existed. I def trashed my own rep, unrepairable.... oh well.

Your doing better..keep at it lol

Ghost818
10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Your doing better..keep at it lol
Agreed complete 180 degree turn gotta give props :P

:P spaghetti monster got me.

Jao
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you I will read

mnju_03
10-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't talk about fight club!

HenryVIII
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Nice and concise, MXZ.

*looks at thread about new event style* <.<

I'm surprised its not locked. Must be a weekend.

PawnXIIX
10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Nice and concise, MXZ.

I'm surprised its not locked. Must be a weekend.

CCM is on a flight back to Silicon Valley, and I found out ER is going to be covering the social media aspects (Facebook, twitter, ect.). There isn't much to be done on the forums in regards to these topics.

Jessie_
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
No one has the right to request other member delete their thread except the admin of this forum.

There's thousand views on my thread, thousands members in this forum, only few of them replies expressing their opinion and their opinion cannot represent all of the rest, some of the reply is even not standing any points.

Dipstik
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow... You took "stupid" and turned it into a performance art. Bravo, sir!

PawnXIIX
10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
*Removed from request of OP*

iteachem
10-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow... You took "stupid" and turned it into a performance art. Bravo, sir!

Stealing this for my sig lol....classic..

Jessie_
10-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Let me give you the honest reason why. People have been banned so many times for posting information about upcoming events and information that hasn't been released yet. That data is up there for the benefit of the few of us that are able to read it and understand it, and it helps us get a better understanding of the structure of the game. That doesn't give us the right to release that information though. I understand that when they put the information out there, it's in our hands what to do with it. It's their rule though, and I'd hate to see more people who know what they're doing with information like this to get banned for misuse of that data.

I'm not going to sit here and laugh at you for your mistake while you wonder what happened or the reasons for it. I'm just saying that the company has been building up for this new event style and there's going to be repercussions from releasing their new event after months and months of 10/10 and 20 style events. To be honest, there's more information to be discovered about this event in the plists if you want to enjoy yourself. Try to keep the information secretive though, for the benefit of the open source community that exists here and everyone who looks to that data to try and comprehend why things happen the way they do. We never know if it will suddenly be pulled because of leaks like this, and I'd hate to see it go away.

I already state my point clearly to what you say here from the replies of my thread. I don't want to repeat again here. Read and think and then reply.

PawnXIIX
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
*Removed from request of OP*

Dipstik
10-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I already made #8. There are no girls on the internet. Your thing will have to be #9.

dthfrmabv
10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I think there should just be a #8, something like respect the forum veterans?

Sup Pawn sucks didn't have a chance to meet you at the meet. anyways yeah respect (or listen to) forum veterans will be great...

PawnXIIX
10-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I already made #8. There are no girls on the internet. Your thing will have to be #9.

Alright fine...if you say so. :p

Sup Pawn sucks didn't have a chance to meet you at the meet. anyways yeah respect (or listen to) forum veterans will be great...

Yeah I wish there were more people there. It'd be nice if he comes back next year and does the same thing, it's good to talk to somebody who understands all the jargon words coming out of my mouth with the "UWV" and the "ECB" hehe. All in all it was a good chance to get in touch with somebody from a company. Seems they're hiring, and sadly I'd have to move to the other side of the coast in order to try to get a job there. I would love a career at a game company, but I really wish I could stay here on the east coast D:

TonySpaghetti
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Agreed complete 360 degree turn gotta give props :P

I think you mean 180. ;)

Ghost818
10-14-2012, 10:23 PM
I think you mean 180. ;)
Been a long day bro lol good catch though.

dthfrmabv
10-14-2012, 10:30 PM
There's thousand views on my thread

And what does that mean...nada. SO what if you have a million views but if majority of those who viewed it, and actually had been in this game for some time (and probably knows this), had advised you to delete the thread for YOUR own good what does it tell you? 1) they are being nice to new forumites and helping out so that you DON'T get penalized and bare the consequences of your actions.

[...] thousands members in this forum, only few of them replies expressing their opinion and their opinion cannot represent all of the rest...

You are right to say there are thousands of members in this forum, 1) but a visit and a view does not mean anything. What counts are the comments that make legitimate sense and not by trolls. 2) Doesn't this raise a red flag to you hat even with the thousands of view only handfull replied back. And of those handful majority asked you to delete the thread.

[...] No one has the right to request other member delete their thread except the admin of this forum.

1) You are so WRONG to say no one can ask you to delete the thread, everyone in this forum can ASK you to delete the thread. What they can not do is order you to delete the thread. 2) I think you are completely missing the point it is NOT because of what you said in your post or thread why senior members are asking you to delete the thread it is because you provided the link to the unofficially announced event which is a violation to forum policy.

dthfrmabv
10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I would love a career at a game company, but I really wish I could stay here on the east coast D:

I know how that feels... nothing in my opinion beats the life in east coast specially NYC (though I would love to have the CA type weather all year round).

Edit: Sorry to derail the topic...

Bruce Lee
10-14-2012, 11:56 PM
When is the Yellowstone super Volcano gonna erupt?

What people gonna do?:confused:

Jessie_
10-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Respect is mutual and reciprocal. Until now I don't see any on that.

Before communication with you guys, you are all the same to me, no difference on valued members, senior members or normal members. I will take anyone's advice as long as his advice is reasonable and rational.

And for that you repeatedly talk about the spreadsheet stuff to me, I also replied it under my own thread, and I wont repeat again here. They won't ban the website just like they allow the spreadsheet.

Deluxe
10-15-2012, 07:48 AM
I will take anyone's advice as long as his advice is reasonable and rational.

Well that is a crock cuz thats how the advice started but you felt like challenging everyone like a bullheaded ninny muggin...get your story straight!

Jao
10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I thank you for your help for new player like me

mxz
10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Well that is a crock cuz thats how the advice started but you felt like challenging everyone like a bullheaded ninny muggin...get your story straight!Time to put the troll on ignore. She's obviously too stubborn for rational or constructive thought - stop feeding her. All she cares about is attention...leave her without it.

TonySpaghetti
10-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Time to put the troll on ignore. She's obviously too stubborn for rational or constructive thought - stop feeding her. All she cares about is attention...leave her without it.

Don't forget Dipstik's rule #8. :)

Dipstik
10-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Time to put the troll on ignore. She's obviously too stubborn for rational or constructive thought - stop feeding her. All she cares about is attention...leave her without it.

He ain't trollin'...

mnju_03
10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Seriously though, where are the M4A1s?

Jessie_
10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Trying to escape from my questioning, just like you don't dare to face your real life but into this forum and game?

So quick that you guys replied to me right after I replied. It seems this game and this forum is all that you have and it's undoubtful that you already put too much effort into it. Its funny that you did open another new thread to judge me.

This is just a very little, and ignorable debate to me from the Internet, just like I accidentally click into a unknown forum and see how people are impolitely and unrespectful to each other there. That's what this game need: dump boy.

Joking on you and see you guys busy around after that, trying to explore every sentences i said, which really make a little fun to me this weekend,

however, reading your non-logic replies was wasting of time and now i DON'T have any interest reading it anymore. Good luck on you own world. I wish you can survive in real life. Oh I forgot your only skill is Crime City, game boys :)

TonySpaghetti
10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
You are just tying to escape from my questioning, just like you don't dare to face your real life but into this forum and game.

So quick that you guys replied to me right after I replied. It seems this game and this forum is all that you have and it's undoubtful that you already put too much effort into it. Its funny that you did open another new thread to judge me.

This is just a very little, and ignorable debate to me from the Internet, just like I accidentally click into a unknown forum and see how people are impolitely and unrespectful to each other there. That's what this game need: dump boy.

Joking on you and see you guys busy around after that really make a little fun to me this weekend, however, reading your no-logic replies was just wasting of time and i WON'T do it anymore. Good luck on you own world. I wish you can survive in real life. Oh I forgot your only skill is Crime City :)

Is this your "Goodbye, I'm quitting this forum" message?

sexkitteh
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I disagree with number 4 personally... you can call out whoever you want :P

You never know... maybe a forum n00b is a game demigod...

What I would like to add to that list is: IF YOU GET BANNED - IT'S TEMPORARY. SUCK IT UP AND DON'T CREATE A SECOND ACCOUNT!

mxz
10-15-2012, 10:00 AM
What I would like to add to that list is: IF YOU GET BANNED - IT'S TEMPORARY. SUCK IT UP AND DON'T CREATE A SECOND ACCOUNT!I thought about adding this but the only folks who seem to do this are established personalities, not beginners. Solid advice, just not normally applicable to new members.

sexkitteh
10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I thought about adding this but the only folks who seem to do this are established personalities, not beginners. Solid advice, just not normally applicable to new members.

True true...

Did I miss some forum drama btw?? Who's this Jesse_ person and who took the jam outta her doughnut?

Dipstik
10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it was pretty strange. Went from a rather quiet little fight mostly in PM over some game data being posted to an all-out butthurt meltdown with threats of prosecution for "cyberbullying." I had fun.

Philoe Beddoe
10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Be careful Dipstick I will hire you to prosecute yourself for cyber bullying on the Internet.

Ramshutu
10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I would add the following:

1.) Search the forums. Most questions have been answered somewhere before, a quick search will normally find what you need. Although be warned, Necro'ing: bumping an old thread to the top, is frowned upon, a may end up with the thread being locked and, possibly, being banned.

2.) DONT LISTEN to people who say "Buy Henchmen", they are useless, and has become an in-joke from the trolls of the forum, who like telling people who are new to the game to spend real money on something useless. These trolls will earn their eternity of suffering in hell soon enough, don't get fooled.

mxz
10-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Have you tried using the search function?

I actually use a google site search of funzio.com before resorting to the in-forum search. It actually works quite well. I wonder if we could get them to just implement an embedded version of that...

I also notice threads on common/searchable questions are fairly rare, answered quickly (albeit sometimes by Dippy), and generally aren't a problem. They also sometimes turn into a positive welcome party for the individual.

Dipstik
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
These trolls will earn their eternity of suffering in hell soon enough, don't get fooled.

I like to think that when you're standing before the pearly gates, St. Peter will ask you one question... "Why did you do it?" I plan on shouting triumphantly, "FOR THE LULZ!"

Ramshutu
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Have you tried using the search function?

I actually use a google site search of funzio.com before resorting to the in-forum search. It actually works quite well. I wonder if we could get them to just implement an embedded version of that...

I also notice threads on common/searchable questions are fairly rare, answered quickly (albeit sometimes by Dippy), and generally aren't a problem. They also sometimes turn into a positive welcome party for the individual.

You're probably right. I suspect that we need a whole new forum for "Guides, FAQs and Information", where all the best help items can be put. Would be best when there are player-moderators to do the work.

jobadass
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
MXZ...Great thread bro.

My # 8 would be instruction on how to add trolls to ignore list.

1 more, and kind of obvious (although I guess this would go to senior members): If you try to do something nice for someone, like warning them to delete a post because they might get banned and they argue with you, let them get banned. We don't need them on here anyway. I saw the help you all tried to give Jessie, and the reaction it gave in return. You guys should have all gotten a thank you, but instead recieved an eff off. To be honest with you, I think it was the most famous troll we've had here (not county Dippy).

sexkitteh
10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
The search function would work a lot better if people tagged their own threads...