PDA

View Full Version : Audio Books

Burn
10-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Anyone into audio books?

I recently got turned onto them prior to going on vacation, at around the time when I usually stock up on some books for beach reading.

Thought process was simple, and sadly CC related: wifey telling me she is ordering Christian Grey trilogy for holiday reading, asks if I want some books on same order - I immediately think I'm gonna have phone on beach, gonna be playing CC, no point in buying books - astute wifey suggests Audio Books.

In the time since I've kinda got hooked, historically I probably read a book a month, mostly business books - with audio books I'm now getting through a book a week - 4 times more knowledge, and a perfect accompaniment to the auto-pilot-click-click-click of CC, or even during work when you are on no-brainer activities in front of PC, as the monotony is at least then supplemented by the input of some worthwhile brain data.

Downside is it's a bit anti-social, so my audio-booking tends to accompany a long relaxing soak in the bath.

P.S. Always download a preview first, it's annoying if you buy and then can't tolerate the narraters voice.

Dhusagar
10-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Wife listens to them through the iPod all the time - therefore I listen vicariously. I have heard a number of books that I would never have picked up to read. I don't listen to them when alone - prefer 5 Live as background noise.

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Try audiobook

Killing Lincoln by Bill Oreiley

Excellent

Burn
10-14-2012, 06:02 AM
This new Off Topic is good for you Beddoe, I'm starting to allow the thought that you might not be a complete sh!tbiscuit ;)

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Well considering your fondness for digestives I assume buiscut is a compliment across the pond no?

Burn
10-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Very good, so you've been around long enough to have read the musings of Dillinja then.

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Since the beginning, in time we shall call it...

B.B. Before Burn

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Disappointed you didn't join us on the Skype call last night

Burn
10-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Dude, contrary to common misconception, and in spite of obvious appearances to the contrary, I'm not that interested ;)

I chat on here to amuse myself, hopefully inform, and probably too often antagonise, others. Probably find the forums more fun than game.

Even you trolls are tolerable, as long as you have something to say, and aren't just metaphorically sh!tting into your own hand in order to wipe it all over the forum walls like a traumatised ape.

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Personally I am not a troll.

TonySpaghetti
10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I've "read" Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything on audiobook. Very interesting stuff and fun to listen to.

Dhusagar
10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Personally I am not a troll.

Dravak!!!!!

Philoe Beddoe
10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Are you saying I'm dravak?

I'd need a 5th of scotch to impersonate his writing style

Nicky the Nose
11-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Dude, contrary to common misconception, and in spite of obvious appearances to the contrary, I'm not that interested ;)

I chat on here to amuse myself, hopefully inform, and probably too often antagonise, others. Probably find the forums more fun than game.

Even you trolls are tolerable, as long as you have something to say, and aren't just metaphorically sh!tting into your own hand in order to wipe it all over the forum walls like a traumatised ape.

You differently have a way with words

Ramshutu
11-16-2012, 06:05 AM
I make it a point to buy any audio book narrated by Stephen Fry, regardless of subject matter.

Swearengen
11-16-2012, 08:49 AM
The wife got me hooked on them on vacations and long trips many years ago. They are great. What type of stories do you like? I like Jonathan Kellerman, Steven King, etc...The Odd Thomas series is good also.

HenryVIII
11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
No time for audio books, audio lectures however, I listen in the car.

Studying for a big test coming up. Listening to review material hitting the key points!

Edit: I now am a senior member! 100!!! LoL