PDA

View Full Version : building upgrade question

kitzune
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
When you are ready for the next upgrade do you start it even if the building is in the middle of a collection period? I can understand wanting to time the final upgrade planned for a building to put it in the sync with others but what about mid term upgrades?

TonySpaghetti
10-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I build first, sync later.

If a building is an hour or two away from being collected, I'll wait before starting the upgrade, especially if its a high-income building. If its low, I don't care.

Ramshutu
10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Most of the time, I time upgrades to complete so that it completes on or around the next cycle. Most of the time, I'll wait if it's more than 60% of the way through. My priorities are to get as close to 100% upgrade utilisation as I can.

dudeman
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I upgrade anything I want, whenever I want. Collection times can bite my shiny metal ass!

There is only one reason I'll wait to collect before upgrading. If I have an upgrade finish within 45 minutes of a big collection, I wait to upgrade so I can save the bank fees.

PawnXIIX
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
In the case of my 24s I would build no matter how close to collecting I am. Hotel to level 2 is my next upgrade, and that takes 28 hours. So I'm going to start the upgrade 4 hours before my 24s complete. 24 hours is my biggest collection point. I have 13 buildings that collect at that mark so I won't hold off collecting for 4 hours waiting for that last building to complete so they'll be synced up again.

TL;DR Upgrade 24s/12s regardless, then sync. The rest can sit there because they are such low values (Italians for example) that nobody really gets much from robbing them.

String-Girl
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I seem to remember at the lower levels it gave you a little credit if it was partly through its money cycle when you clicked the upgrade, but I very well could be mistaken....

I try to be upgrading *something* at all times, so if I've got a little time before the money building collects in the interim I'll upgrade one of my defense buildings/towers/turrets. Up to about Level 4 the Muay Thai and Guard Towers are wicked cheap and fast.

Another tactic I've used is when I've got a little piece of land that isn't doing anything because I'm saving up money to put something cool there, I'll Put A Bird On it!.... (that's what I call Gas Stations, and if you've ever seen Portlandia you'll know what I'm talking about). In 21 minutes and $1300 you can have a Level 3 Gas Station that if you collect 4x in 24 hours it pays for itself, and then just throw it away when you're ready to build. I've built hundreds and while it's Chump Change for sure, I hate seeing Land just sit there especially knowing how much I paid for it

dudeman
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I seem to remember at the lower levels it gave you a little credit if it was partly through its money cycle when you clicked the upgrade, but I very well could be mistaken....

Yeah, I think you are mistaken. The only time you'll ever get cash from a building before its pay period is due is if you sell the building.

I try to be upgrading *something* at all times, so if I've got a little time before the money building collects in the interim I'll upgrade one of my defense buildings/towers/turrets. Up to about Level 4 the Muay Thai and Guard Towers are wicked cheap and fast.

That's one option. When I'm in economy mode I only upgrade defense buildings if the completion time for a money building is inconvenient and needs to be pushed by a few hours. That rarely happens so for now I can stay focused on economy. Eventually I wont be able to afford money building upgrades anymore because they complete faster than I can save. When that happens, there will be lots of time to upgrade defense buildings while I save for money building upgrades.

Another tactic I've used is when I've got a little piece of land that isn't doing anything because I'm saving up money to put something cool there, I'll Put A Bird On it!.... (that's what I call Gas Stations, and if you've ever seen Portlandia you'll know what I'm talking about). In 21 minutes and $1300 you can have a Level 3 Gas Station that if you collect 4x in 24 hours it pays for itself, and then just throw it away when you're ready to build. I've built hundreds and while it's Chump Change for sure, I hate seeing Land just sit there especially knowing how much I paid for it

That sounds a little bit pointless, but if you enjoy doing that then by all means, carry on. :cool:

PC77
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Sorry to go a tiny bit off topic but don't want to start a thread for what I have to say.
I've wasn't sure but I am now, just realised my building upgrade times have come down a bit, any ideas why??
Only item I have that has an effect is the loaded dice but that came out a long time ago.

dudeman
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Sorry to go a tiny bit off topic but don't want to start a thread for what I have to say.
I've wasn't sure but I am now, just realised my building upgrade times have come down a bit, any ideas why??
Only item I have that has an effect is the loaded dice but that came out a long time ago.

Lol, you haven't been around much for the past ~week, have you?

The Dice a bugged. They are giving a double bonus stacked in the correct fashion. So the Loaded Dice, stacked on itself, is giving everyone who own the item 43.75% faster upgrades.

Here's a link to one of the threads about that issue. Feel free to bump it, it will make it easier for support to find. :cool:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?40374-Any-updates-about-the-building-upgrade-times-issue

PC77
10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Lol, I seriously didn't have a clue about it being bugged, got to pay more attention.. Excellent to get the double bonus though, especially as its one of only 2 items I ever got.
Cheers Dudeman.

dudeman
10-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Lol, I seriously didn't have a clue about it being bugged, got to pay more attention.. Excellent to get the double bonus though, especially as its one of only 2 items I ever got.
Cheers Dudeman.

Cheers, but don't get too used to the faster upgrades. Support got a lengthy email from me today explaining the issue, screenshots included.

I'm not trying to be a **** or anything. It's just that my Cobra Roadster still doesn't work, support thinks (or was told) that it does, and I had to give them a detailed breakdown of wtf is happening in their game.

PC77
10-10-2012, 12:54 PM
While faster upgrades are good, it slows down the saving up process a little. Can't have everything I suppose.

String-Girl
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
"That sounds a little bit pointless, but if you enjoy doing that then by all means, carry on."

Haven't seen "Portlandia" yet? Put it in your Netflix queue, absolute comedic gold even if you've never lived there.....