PDA

View Full Version : how do I minimize unit loss?

Druncan
10-04-2012, 07:11 AM
I've been playing MW for about 6 months with a friend. For some reason his attack was going up 3 times faster then mine. It turned out that I was buying to many high and medium risk units and lost them all in battles.

But now I got a new iPhone and decided to start all over again and only invest in low risk units. But I still lose 1-3 units every battle and my attack goes down faster then I can get it up when I attack all the time.

My friend and I compared our accounts and we just can't figure out why i'm losing 1-3 units every battle and he rarely loses 1. (even if he attacks people with the same stats)

Does anyone know how this is posible?

extra info: we both have a level 1 infirmary and are both around level 130(on my old account, 40 on my new one)

thanks

boardgames rule
10-04-2012, 07:18 AM
HE probable has a glitch were u dont lose units. Normallu you do lose 1-3 units. So your friend is ust really lucky

bushobama
10-04-2012, 08:35 AM
How do you minimize casualties? Don't attack or raid.. I guarantee you won't lose a unit

overkill 280
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Or find that sweet spot.. (rival with low enough stats) That you wont lose any units when attacking.

Thief
10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Keep building up your IPH so you can afford your Losses......

Drop Allies so you don't bring as many units to battle.

Stop attacking/Raiding

Stop Playing Modern War. (you won't loose anything)

Druncan
10-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeh sweet spots are nice for xp and some valor, but too bad you hardly get any BP from them :(

and at the moment sweet spots are hard to find because i'm level 40 with 200 allies and I suck compared to other lvl 40s with 200 allies hehe, most of them have a bigger base then my old account at level 131. I made this new account after I got my iPhone 5 last weekend :P

I was talking to my friend earlier too, he must be glitched, he is level 135 and he never lost a single medium or low risk unit, only a few high risk one's. UNFAIR!

Druncan
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I've been thinking of dropping allies, but I won't be able to continue with valor missions. If I use sweet spots to finish valor missions I can gain attack/defence wayyyy faster then with money(IPH). That sounds like this best solution I can think of myself.
But idea's are more then welcome :D

Thief
10-04-2012, 09:12 AM
IPH is really the only long term solution for the Game unless you plan on building almost a completely gold army.

Reaching 1 Million IPH however should take you almost a year. (i've been playing since January and i'm above 850k right now)

Stop Leveling!!!....It's not a race. Camping is really your best friend. Build up your offensive strenth so you can participate in the Boss Battles and "Win" Strong Units that can't die.

Obviously that way isn't the most exciting gameplay but it will allow you to hopefully enjoy the game in the end.

vaporeon
10-04-2012, 10:54 AM
This is also hard for me as well to setup my attacks. I have 20 stamina because I figured I won't be needing more. It takes me about 30 minutes or so to find someone I want to attack but when I think they are weak enough, I lose 2-4 units per attack so its not worth it to me. Even after farming some loot items for a few months, its still not worth it because I lose those.

Druncan
10-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I had the exact same problem on my old account, had 20 stamina at level 120, because i didn't think more would be usefull, but i found out that it is quite usefull, especialy when you want to level up quick or want to do alot of valor missions. After level 120 I used all my points on stamina, but it was to late, now i got about 35 stanima at level 131.
that's why I started over with a new account, already got 42 stamina at level 39 and I like it hehe.

Just decided to delete all my allies to see if that's any better, hurts to remove 180 allies, but oh well...

Ljepoje
10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I had the exact same problem on my old account, had 20 stamina at level 120, because i didn't think more would be usefull, but i found out that it is quite usefull, especialy when you want to level up quick or want to do alot of valor missions. After level 120 I used all my points on stamina, but it was to late, now i got about 35 stanima at level 131.
that's why I started over with a new account, already got 42 stamina at level 39 and I like it hehe.

Just decided to delete all my allies to see if that's any better, hurts to remove 180 allies, but oh well...

I deleted all players/allies under 50 level (IŽam at level 57)... But keept some allies that are around level 70 - 100+... smart or bad move?

Ramshutu
10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
- Your unit losses are dependant on how many units you bring into battle, but the higher level you are the more units you can loose. There appears to be a cap on the maximum losses per fight.

- Casualty rates do not guarantee lower losses. Some units say low loss, but actually have higher loss %s than some medium loss units. Moreover, the way the game works out what units you loose, occasionally units with low casualty rates have abnormally high losses when you have a number of them. For example, Amphibious troopers have several orders of magnitude higher losses than frigates.

- Raiding generally nets more unit losses than attacking, I think this is due to defence buildings.

- A good rule of them to solve the above, is find a cheap and easy to replace unit that you can buy or farm to fill at the bottom end of your unit list, and just keep them topped up. It is always worthwhile building up your economy to allow you to keep topping up units.

Dr. Dengus
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I've been playing MW for about 6 months with a friend. For some reason his attack was going up 3 times faster then mine. It turned out that I was buying to many high and medium risk units and lost them all in battles.

But now I got a new iPhone and decided to start all over again and only invest in low risk units. But I still lose 1-3 units every battle and my attack goes down faster then I can get it up when I attack all the time.

My friend and I compared our accounts and we just can't figure out why i'm losing 1-3 units every battle and he rarely loses 1. (even if he attacks people with the same stats)

Does anyone know how this is posible?

extra info: we both have a level 1 infirmary and are both around level 130(on my old account, 40 on my new one)

thanks

I'd suggest to start camping/crawling w/ your level 40 account. If you can build up an IPH coupled with a strong cash army, you'll be able to go pretty far in the boss events which is one way to gain army strength.

Another alternative is to continue doing valor missions, but don't spend the valor, just stockpile it for a while. The reason behind this is because you're going to lose those units through battles if you spend your valor right away. Either way, I'd suggest building up your IPH and buying 100 - 200 Flamethrower Soldiers/Commandos as meatshields. It might get expensive, but it's easier to replace a cash unit than any valor unit. But yeah, to minimize unit losses you're going to have to invest in some sort of meatshield to protect your high value units.

Druncan
10-05-2012, 05:01 AM
I deleted all players/allies under 50 level (IŽam at level 57)... But keept some allies that are around level 70 - 100+... smart or bad move?

I dont think it matters what level your allies are, they just allow you to take extra units intoo battle

Druncan
10-05-2012, 05:13 AM
removing all my allies was a bad idea, my account was not build to fight people with 5 allies, probably because of hidden attack/defence.
I accepted 50 invited and this works quite well for me. I lose 0-4 units every 5 attacks, so thats not to bad. The only problem is im not losing weak units but of all the units I lost today about 85% were Avengers, my single strongest units I can buy so far.
Im going to see if it helps if I invest in strong infantry units.
I forgot to post this and to answer if investing in infantry helps:
I haven't lost a single Avenger after buying 10 hardened marines (310 att- 350 def added giving me about 2200 att/def). Maybe a mix between all 4 kinds of units might solve my problems hehe.

Arizona
10-05-2012, 06:12 AM
I've been thinking of dropping allies, but I won't be able to continue with valor missions. If I use sweet spots to finish valor missions I can gain attack/defence wayyyy faster then with money(IPH). That sounds like this best solution I can think of myself.
But idea's are more then welcome :D
My thoughts:
Before you do what I suggest, make sure you have another outlet to deal with the frustrations of Modern War. Get a GF/BF/mistress/pet/hobby. Exercise, party, drink.
Now decide your priorities. I don't have a clue what they might be. Getting to level 200 fast? Beating as many bosses? .. etc etc!
My suggestion: Drop to 50 allies and camp, build up an income. Your beloved valor missions will always be there waiting for you when you up allies in the future. For the next six months you're gonna need to concentrate on your IPH and building up D. Get it as high as you can before you think you're gonna have a nervous breakdown, then move on with the game. It would help if you stopped thinking of Modern War as a "War" game. Try renaming it to something like Modern Base Builder or Modern IPH builder and you'll feel a lot better. Set short term targets.
Now, one of the many downsides to all this is, you are shot if you think you can beat a lot of bosses. For that, you're gonna need max allies and the best attack amongst other things. So you decide. It's your War/Base Builder/IPH game.
Good luck:)

Druncan
10-05-2012, 06:37 AM
My thoughts:
Before you do what I suggest, make sure you have another outlet to deal with the frustrations of Modern War. Get a GF/BF/mistress/pet/hobby. Exercise, party, drink.
Now decide your priorities. I don't have a clue what they might be. Getting to level 200 fast? Beating as many bosses? .. etc etc!
My suggestion: Drop to 50 allies and camp, build up an income. Your beloved valor missions will always be there waiting for you when you up allies in the future. For the next six months you're gonna need to concentrate on your IPH and building up D. Get it as high as you can before you think you're gonna have a nervous breakdown, then move on with the game. It would help if you stopped thinking of Modern War as a "War" game. Try renaming it to something like Modern Base Builder or Modern IPH builder and you'll feel a lot better. Set short term targets.
Now, one of the many downsides to all this is, you are shot if you think you can beat a lot of bosses. For that, you're gonna need max allies and the best attack amongst other things. So you decide. It's your War/Base Builder/IPH game.
Good luck:)

First off, thanks for telling me to get a life, great tip. :D

I'm just testing a few tactics of this account, it's not frustration, it's how I enjoy this game. I've dropped to 5 allies and went back to 50 now, cuz 5 didn't work. 50 does work, i've been able to raid/attack for quite some money. But the money from the attacks/raids does not pay for the loses(with a 100k bank:S). So i'm either going to try IPH or back to my first tactic of valor missions. IPH is probably the best way, but it's quite boring. I just don't have the patients to spend weeks on one level.
I'm not sure yet, but just in case ill stack up 100-200 invites hehe.

Arizona
10-05-2012, 07:09 AM
First off, thanks for telling me to get a life, great tip. :D

I'm just testing a few tactics of this account, it's not frustration, it's how I enjoy this game. I've dropped to 5 allies and went back to 50 now, cuz 5 didn't work. 50 does work, i've been able to raid/attack for quite some money. But the money from the attacks/raids does not pay for the loses(with a 100k bank:S). So i'm either going to try IPH or back to my first tactic of valor missions. IPH is probably the best way, but it's quite boring. I just don't have the patients to spend weeks on one level.
I'm not sure yet, but just in case ill stack up 100-200 invites hehe.
Glad I could help. I found the best way to relieve the boredom of my strategy is to get a second account. I have a LLP which turns out to be great. I can take my time with my MLP (Level 83) while having fun running a different strat on my LLP. I should have said firstly... the best strategy is to get a second account/device.:)

Druncan
10-06-2012, 05:33 AM
I get what you're saying, I still play on my iPhone 4 on my old account and I never attack/raid on it anymore.
On my iPhone 4 I'm just doing missions, I've spend all my skill points on energie. I think I have like 4 more maps to do and then i've done them all. Too bad im about to sell my iPhone 4.
The second account on my iPhone 5 was designed for a valor missions, no energie and just stamina and all my money invested in low risk units. (this didn't work out as I was aspecting, that's why I was testing other tactics)
It would be great if it was possible to play on 2 accounts on one iPhone hehe.

But too get back to my strategy. I stacked up 100 invites(in 2 hours :P) and accepted them a few minites ago, so back to valor missions by using sweetspots. But I'm only going to do valor missions, not going to randomly raid/attack people for money and BP anymore, I only hurt myself with that. (Wins rarely make up for the losses)

Maverick50727
10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
- Your unit losses are dependant on how many units you bring into battle, but the higher level you are the more units you can loose. There appears to be a cap on the maximum losses per fight.

- Casualty rates do not guarantee lower losses. Some units say low loss, but actually have higher loss %s than some medium loss units. Moreover, the way the game works out what units you loose, occasionally units with low casualty rates have abnormally high losses when you have a number of them. For example, Amphibious troopers have several orders of magnitude higher losses than frigates.

- Raiding generally nets more unit losses than attacking, I think this is due to defence buildings.

- A good rule of them to solve the above, is find a cheap and easy to replace unit that you can buy or farm to fill at the bottom end of your unit list, and just keep them topped up. It is always worthwhile building up your economy to allow you to keep topping up units.

OK, here is the deal Duncan. As Ramshutu said, casualty rate "descriptions" of medium vs. low really mean nothing at times. Go instead by the consume percent / consumption rates that people have specified from the data files. This has been stated for a long time and can be found in Khimsoo Toolkit also.

Drop me a line via PM and I can try to help you out some. It is hard to compare apples to oranges when not know which fruit you have. You mention your friend vs. you, but I would like to know the exact units both of you have and take to battle. I bet there could be things that explain this much better.

In general 1.) buy units with the lowest consume percent (not by desc) 2.) buy units with strong against /counters type if possible to target your rivals strength

Also you mention avengers as your strongest unit. Just an example avenger 12/10 .009 CR vs. Frigate 5/8 .003 CR or Cruiser 12/16 .002 CR. FYI , none of the first valor units you unlock are great. The higher units unlocked and the more expensive generally have the best consumption rates. And again the description doesn't mean much as good example is the Nuclear Sub wich is "Medium" ??? but has a .0006 CR. Yes a extra leading zero vs. units listed above which as classified as "very low". IMO, there are no "Good" infantry units except the hardened marine.

I'll drop you a PM also.

vaporeon
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I see. Well, the Android users don't have access to the tool kit. it seems to be exclusive to IOS. Will there be a port for it?

stephen2013
10-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I think I found a way to minimize, or even eliminate unit losses for me. My first 160 or so units when attacking are indestructible, acquired from boss events and loot drops, etc. (with about 90 stealth frigates thrown in there.)

So, If I only had around. 40 allies (160/4=40), then my idea is that only these indestructible units I have and my high value valor units will come into attacking. Theoretically, I could attack constantly and never lose any units because the units I would take into battle are indestructible.

Any thoughts?

Mad
10-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I am going to go against the grain here and suggest you buy an infirmary. Everyone insists the infirmary doesn't work. But I suspect it does, but just not the way we traditionally think it does. Here is the Reader's Digest version of how I think it works.

Every unit has a consumption rate, the lower the rate the less chance it has of being destroyed. Gold has the lowest consumption rate essentially 0 meaning it can't be destroyed. The Aircraft carrier has a very good consumption rate of .07% and the Stealth Surveillance Drone is .11% -- meaning of the two, the Air Craft has a lower casualty rate and less chance of being destroyed.

So how do these numbers come into play? When you go into battle depending on your Attack rate and the other player defense rate, MW decides if you win or lose. Depending on how out matched you were, you may lose units. How I think this happens is MW says you will lose two units of .11% or higher. The worse you lose battle, the lower that number goes. If you lose real bad it could say lose two units of 0.07% or higher. If you did fairly well it may say lose two units of 1.00% or higher. Obviously the lower the number the greater number of units there is to select from.

What the infirmary does is upgrade the casualty rates of your units. For example a level 5 infirmary reduces the casualty rates of your units by 10%. The Global Hawk Drone goes from .11% to .099% and the Aircraft Carrier to .06%.

Now if you go into battle and lose fairly bad and MW says lose two units of .07% or higher. If you have the infirmary at level 5, the Aircraft carrier is pushed below .07 and can't be chosen, however the Global Hawk Drone is still available. So the infirmary doesn't reduce the actual number of casualties, but simply results in other units being chosen instead.

However, people would prefer losing two Drones worth $500,000 each over two aircraft carriers worth $4.5 million each.

So the infirmary has some benefit.

Another factor is choosing your battles more carefully. Make sure you A is much stronger than their D, I like to see at least a 20% difference. Of course, if you are being attacked you have no control, and the only choice is to bulk up your defense by buying stronger defensive units and even defensive buildings which add to your defensive stats.