PDA

View Full Version : Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Anything Finance

Stock Slayer
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
...My favorite subject...

Anything economics...

Stock Slayer
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
HES (which Im liking less and less) CHK (same) MNKD (My longtime favorite)
Where is energy headed? Devaluation of the dollar means higher commodity prices, but is there a limit to how far the dollar can drop without risking all out financial ruin? Ruin from what, though?
Every discovery, war, or nation building, at it's core, has been about furthering an economy. Where else is there to expand to? The world is mapped (thanks google). Companies that thrive on established business practice will continue to prosper, even if at lack luster paces. This game is chess...

SoccerStud
10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Last year, one of my math projects was to manage a fake stock portfolio. It was awesome, our requirements were to make 8,500 off the 100,000 we were given. It was a lot of fun but it was right around when apple announced the ipad 3. I bought apple at $480 and it jumped all the way to $600. I made a ton off it, more then 90% of my gains. I think I made around 12,000 overall. Too bad it wasn't real.

My dad said he once was looking at Berkshire hathaway inc. stock and was deciding to buy about 5 of it at 20,000 grand a piece. He didn't but now it's priced at 134,000. It's all about risks.

Stock Slayer
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Last year, one of my math projects was to manage a fake stock portfolio. It was awesome, our requirements were to make 8,500 off the 100,000 we were given. It was a lot of fun but it was right around when apple announced the ipad 3. I bought apple at $480 and it jumped all the way to $600. I made a ton off it, more then 90% of my gains. I think I made around 12,000 overall. Too bad it wasn't real.

My dad said he once was looking at Berkshire hathaway inc. stock and was deciding to buy about 5 of it at 20,000 grand a piece. He didn't but now it's priced at 134,000. It's all about risks.
Risks and rewards.... To me the biggest risk is leaving your money in a checking or savings account and watching your buying power get dwindled by inflation. Even my chash is sitting in HIX, which yields 10% dividend annually. It pays 1% every month.

Dipstik
10-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I believe I heard recently that over half of the treasury notes issued by the us this year have been purchased by the federal reserve. Be ready for further devaluation. Not an investment guy, though.... Just my thoughts.

mxz
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I bought some Metro PCS (PCS) when it bottomed out a couple months ago (around $5.6) just hoping they would get bought. Was up around $14 yesterday.

Stock Slayer
10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I bought some Metro PCS (PCS) when it bottomed out a couple months ago (around $5.6) just hoping they would get bought. Was up around $14 yesterday.
I read they were working on a deal with another pay-as-you-go phone company to merge. Good news all around. That will make them more competitive.... yada yada. Good play.

Dollar devaluation is the major contributor to the price of gasoline at the pump. It takes more dollars to buy the same amount of fuel because those dollars are worth less. also, a low dollar drives up other asset classes like stocks and materials for the same reason. thats inflation.
The question i ask myself is how low can the dollar go. how long will the people allow their currency to be destroyed before there is a revolt. there isnt enough gold to go back to the gold standard of the past....

Ghost818
10-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Very nice catch, I hope you made a big investment the return on that investment would be reallllly nice.

mxz
10-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Very nice catch, I hope you made a big investment the return on that investment would be reallllly nice.I think it was around 1,000 shares. I try not to put more than $10k into any individual stock or ETF.

Paulio
10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
I'd like to join this conversation, but I can't :(

Stock Slayer
10-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I think it was around 1,000 shares. I try not to put more than $10k into any individual stock or ETF.
I go bananas on good catches (sometimes bad ones). Like MTW for instance: they trade in a range from 9-15 so when the value of this company dips to 9-10 range in their stock price, I pick up 4k-5- of shares and ride it for three four bucks then sell when I think it's getting skittish. Doesn't always work, but I've been following certain stocks for going on 7 years now and I am comfortable making bold plays.
I bought MNKD after a 40% decline in their value and picked up 40k worth of shares close to 45k dollars. I rode them to 95k dollars and within minutes watched that evaporate to only a 14k dollar gain. I was furious but also young in my adventures in this game so lessons learned.
I remember I picked up one stock trading in the 2 dollar range and noticed two large firms picked up 100s of thousands of shares a few days before. I rode them till around 6 a share, sold, but watched as they hit 17 the next week.
You win some you miss some and lose some. The point is you'll never hit if you let fear drive your financial actions.
Emotions and money are a dangerous combination.