PDA

View Full Version : Turn off animations

mxz
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Ive realized since about day 2 that animations are pretty much useless. They waste time, especially I'd your character decides it wants to take a leisurely walk all the way across a big hood. What are the benefits? Other than maybe seeing your avatar shoot someone in the face, none. I'd love to be able to turn these off to efficientize attacking and robbing. Money and RP scattering = awesome. Waiting an extra 5 seconds every attack/rob = not awesome.

Thoughts?

Burn
09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Like it, very good idea.

Very tedious when you are in a heavily populated and decorated hood, things get slow, and the avatar takes an age to get from target A to target B.

Ohaithere
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Geat idea, I get frustrated by it too. Maybe even a button to attack multiple times, but I think maybe that would be harder to mplement

Deluxe
09-10-2012, 08:42 AM
I hate that shiv! When your signal is weak and it takes your character 30 seconds to appear/emerge in the proper place to rob/attack it gets really annoying. Also, when you hit the same bldg back to back and on the second hit your character, for no logical reason, has to change positions to hit the very same bldg you just hit it gets really annoying. Had more than a few robs/attacks undermined by this process because often the window of time to hit that top tier bldg is often very small and any lag/difficulty in doing so may give ample time for the 'owner' to grab all their cash...

mxz
09-10-2012, 08:44 AM
There's a business case, too. The more often people are able to attack the quicker their stamina will run out. Especially during attack/rob events when people are paying for refills this could actually make them more money.

My guess is it's a simple setting to implement, as well.

Ohaithere
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
But then say you click attack 10 times, would you just have a screen saying how many times you won and lost or could you make a button to click which is attack as many times as possible?

mxz
09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
But then say you click attack 10 times, would you just have a screen saying how many times you won and lost or could you make a button to click which is attack as many times as possible?Thats a decent suggestion but fundamentally its altering gameplay (and much harder to implement).

Basically all I'm looking for is double click attack/rob and money/RP spit out rather than having the ceremonious walk then punching/kicking/clubbing/stabbing/shooting ahead of time.

Burn
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Maybe just a DOS prompt ;)

C:\> Attack Rival

C:\> Success. Next command?

C:\> Rob Loft

C:\> Success. F3 and Enter to rob again.

Auxilium
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Thats a decent suggestion but fundamentally its altering gameplay (and much harder to implement).

Basically all I'm looking for is double click attack/rob and money/RP spit out rather than having the ceremonious walk then punching/kicking/clubbing/stabbing/shooting ahead of time.

Are you aware of the ingame setting "1 click jobs"? If you turn that on, you will instantly attack/rob every person or building by clicking on it. So, instead of selecting the person/building twice you can do it in 1 time.

Other then that, i have the idea that the avatar does have a hidden function in the game.

Vile Lynn
09-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Ive realized since about day 2 that animations are pretty much useless. They waste time, especially I'd your character decides it wants to take a leisurely walk all the way across a big hood. What are the benefits? Other than maybe seeing your avatar shoot someone in the face, none. I'd love to be able to turn these off to efficientize attacking and robbing. Money and RP scattering = awesome. Waiting an extra 5 seconds every attack/rob = not awesome.

Thoughts?

It is a hassle. I try to tap myself close to my target to avoid the long strolls thru rival hoods.
I thought the animation was like an "info/data loading" deal (not really sure what the technical terms are... sorta like the flipping hourglass icon, kwim?)

If it could be as easy as adding an "on/off" button to the settings menu, I'm all for it!
Good suggestion, MXZ

Ohaithere
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
It's not so much the double clicking that takes time but the walking to the building or other avatar and then the beating them up that takes time. I heard here maybe half a year ago that if you hit someone with a bat you are less likely to succeed than if you shoot them... But I think it was established by players that it was random and had no impact on the likelihood of a win.

Vile Lynn
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Are you aware of the ingame setting "1 click jobs"? If you turn that on, you will instantly attack/rob every person or building by clicking on it. So, instead of selecting the person/building twice you can do it in 1 time.

Other then that, i have the idea that the avatar does have a hidden function in the game.

Yeah, but that can be scary if you accidentally tap the screen a lot, lol, like I do.
I sometimes use one-click jobs in KA for the maps, but I have to be sure to turn it off when looking for rivals to raid or battle... it is too easy to mis-tap.

TonySpaghetti
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
They should just put an "Enable Animations" option in the settings. I like them. Would just be more fun if the animations actually used our inventory items. How cool would it be to see someone get blown away with an RPG?

DenZ1
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
+1 to that. Give us opportunity to turn this useless animations off!

dudeman
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I think it's possible that the game has to contact the server every time you use a stamina point. Stamina is only used in PvP/robs, so doesn't the game need to fetch the rival data and whatever "random factor" for every action? Maybe I'm wrong, but I figured the animations were just a visual way to let the player know something is happening and the game didn't freeze.

As for the leisurely strolls through a rival's hood (and buildings), yes, I find those annoying and pointless. It's even worse if I check my mafia list or request list and then forget to close/relaunch the game. The slow walks don't happen every single time I do anything, but still often enough to be annoying. I can't figure out how to avoid shifting positions during a robbery, but any other time I try to remember to click on the road somewhere close to where I want to be.

Max Power
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
I am more annoyed by the games supposed programming where all the characters on levels seem to migrate twards you and get in your way. This happens in other games as well. In Kingdon Age, sometimes the monsters are practically glued to each other.

mxz
09-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I think it's possible that the game has to contact the server every time you use a stamina point. Stamina is only used in PvP/robs, so doesn't the game need to fetch the rival data and whatever "random factor" for every action? Maybe I'm wrong, but I figured the animations were just a visual way to let the player know something is happening and the game didn't freeze.This is correct, actually. However, the animations just slow things down. There are only a few calls the game needs to make to the server.

It needs to check the player is attackable (or building is robbable {uhh, word?}).
It needs to check the amount of money that can be gained by attack (assuming this isn't stored locally, which it might be; I assume that it knows how much each buildings are worth since when going to a hood it knows all the buildings, their levels, and if they're up for collection).
And it needs to check/set that you've won or lost.

Latency of a 3G connection is probably 1 second or so round trip time. There are probably studies about how long people wait until they think a screen is frozen but I'm guessing it's around 3 seconds. Even if you inject a slow or intermittent connection there are other ways to account for these corner cases then making everyone wait 5+ seconds regardless of when the result comes in (how many times has a building lost its uncollected indicator before your avatar has even walked up to it?).