PDA

View Full Version : Honoring forum members by naming units after them

Agent Orange
08-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Ok so everytime I see the Flan Carrier I urp a bit like I just put too much hot sauce on a two day old burrito but actually it might be a neat idea to make up names based on folks in here. For example Kitty or Bron or many others deserving of the honor.......

Poopenshire
08-16-2012, 06:33 AM
could you imagine a nuclear missile with the name Hello Kitty worked into it.
for Bronson i say keep it honest and clean with a secret agent.

Thunder Child
08-16-2012, 06:33 AM
+ 1

Though Bron CANNOT, SHOULD NOT be honored until he sorts his avatar out!

Q Raider
08-16-2012, 06:37 AM
I think Your idea died with the character name of the first reply post..... :-)

Would you want a "Poop Destroyer" in your inventory.....

Bronson
08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Nah you can't do me yet (not because of the avi) there are plenty more people more deserving, one of which started this thread.

Poopenshire
08-16-2012, 06:45 AM
I think Your idea died with the character name of the first reply post..... :-)

see I think it was done already for me with the Chocolate Submarine back in Feb.

Miner
08-16-2012, 06:47 AM
I PM'd CCM last week and suggested they consider doing this. I think they need to put a pop-up message in announcing the new LE set with some text describing that senior forum members may have get units named after them to promote the forum use as well.

Jhoemel
08-16-2012, 07:04 AM
+ 1

Though Bron CANNOT, SHOULD NOT be honored until he sorts his avatar out!

+2 tc. haha. That avatar of bron still keeping me confused

Bronson
08-16-2012, 07:05 AM
+2 tc. haha. That avatar of bron still keeping me confused

All your avatars confuse me J.

SeqWins
08-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Hahahahahahha that comeback was a classic... Jhoe my man he right all your avatars are weird as hell....

mickymacirl
08-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Already one named after me, Fighting Irish, not the IRA fighter.

albeezy
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
My first two suggestions:
The War Priest
http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/wp10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=28&u=17569328)
The Miner
http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/the_mi10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=29&u=17569328)

overkill 280
08-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Seems like a cool idea AO. Would need somebody with a really good imagination for some of the members tho! lol

albeezy
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Seems like a cool idea AO. Would need somebody with a really good imagination for some of the members tho! lol
I got you covered imagination is one of my specialties

Tanner
08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I had somehow not logged in for a while, forgot about the naming event, hadn't been into the game on my device in a couple days... I loaded the game, and behold my surprise when I see a FLANcraft carrier. I ALMOST woke the whole house up laughing! This is the coolest idea ever. I'm still not buying gold. ;)

Miner
08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I got you covered imagination is one of my specialties

Judging from your sig... uhm...

Just kidding. The Miner is a pretty sweet looking unit!

albeezy
08-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Judging from your sig... uhm...

Just kidding.
When I get that PM from you I will change it! Almost time for the first MW Forum Amber Alert!

Do you like the proposed MIner LE?http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/the_mi10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=29&u=17569328)

Miner
08-16-2012, 09:06 AM
When I get that PM from you I will change it! Almost time for the first MW Forum Amber Alert!

Do you like the proposed MIner LE?http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/56/93/28/the_mi10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=29&u=17569328)

Love the proposed Miner LE!

Was I supposed to PM you something for your sig? I get asked from everyone and I'm losing track!

albeezy
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
The FC please. Thanks

Miner
08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
The FC please. Thanks

As soon as I posted that, I remembered! Sending it now.

ArthurWellsley
08-16-2012, 09:12 AM
I think the Kitty unit would have to be a female soldier from the accounts and pay department who was good with spreadsheets.

Remember one American general claimed the Americans won the Battle of the Bulge with cooks and accountants

Miner
08-16-2012, 09:14 AM
HK's unit should be a giant tank with the Hello Kitty logo hidden within the digital camo pattern.

Hello Kitty
08-16-2012, 09:20 AM
HK's unit should be a giant tank with the Hello Kitty logo hidden within the digital camo pattern.Lol. Probably couldn't do that because of copyright, but I'd love it! Or I'd be happy with a pink tank, ship, or aircraft. :) Or another cool assasin av like the Counterspy.

Corsair
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I still have hope they will get back to WWII units and maybe put one of

<---these out there. An A-7 would be OK but man those were ugly.

Technically, they already did one with my name, the Corsair Destroyer...a camouflaged submarine :rolleyes:. And the whole destroyer part is not very nice... ;) Pretty sure they were referring to pirates though.

Miner
08-16-2012, 10:49 AM
I think some more WWII units would be awesome. The Corsair, 109, Spitfire, Zero... those would be awesome to put in the game.

Saint Anger
08-16-2012, 11:05 AM

That would be AWESOME.

Wdigeorge
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Hello Kitty Operator? Lol

http://www.2dayblog.com/2008/01/24/hello-kitty-ar-15-assault-rifle/

Thief
08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I PM'd CCM last week and suggested they consider doing this. I think they need to put a pop-up message in announcing the new LE set with some text describing that senior forum members may have get units named after them to promote the forum use as well.

I think this is a great idea! It would add alot of forum users i believe and in turn would hopefully make the game that much better with suggestions from additional forum members.

Thief
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Not saying i would ever deserve one but if i ever reached that point 10 years from now i could be the "Ace of Thieves" Naturally i would have to be infantry....even though i would rather be an Air unit haha. Actually i bet if flan was still around he would B*t$h that he was a Ship and Not an Air unit hahahaha.

~Ace

Miner
08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Not saying i would ever deserve one but if i ever reached that point 10 years from now i could be the "Ace of Thieves" Naturally i would have to be infantry....even though i would rather be an Air unit haha. Actually i bet if flan was still around he would B*t$h that he was a Ship and Not an Air unit hahahaha.

~Ace

Maybe the "Prince of Thieves"... a guy dressed in tights with a bow and arrow??? ;)

Your unit would have to come with a boost though -- The boost could render the vault useless and you could steal from players vaults if you had the unit.

Juaco
08-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Yea lets name one after me.

Miner
08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Yea lets name one after me.

Which one of you? ;)

Juaco
08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Joaquim and Juaco is the same person. Joaquim's my real name and Juaco's my nickname so use Joaquim since it's my real name.

Bronson
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Joaquim and Juaco is the same person. Joaquim's my real name and Juaco's my nickname so use Joaquim since it's my real name.

You would be a ground unit - the Joaquim Knucklehead

Thief
08-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Maybe the "Prince of Thieves"... a guy dressed in tights with a bow and arrow??? ;)

Your unit would have to come with a boost though -- The boost could render the vault useless and you could steal from players vaults if you had the unit.

Thanks Miner! I'm glad that how you fall asleep at night...picturing me in tights.... :P

I do like the Boost of being able to render Vaults useless! That would make for one Killer unit and for an army of angry people complaining they can't protect their Cash anymore :P Maybe to make it fair you only get a max. of 50k from the vault with the Ace/Prince of Thieves

overkill 280
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I got you covered imagination is one of my specialtiesK good cause I don't have one :p

albeezy
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM

He's a man a man tights he roams around the woods looking for fights! He's a man a man in tight tight tights

Miner
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks Miner! I'm glad that how you fall asleep at night...picturing me in tights.... :P

haha. Just thinking Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is all...

Juaco
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
You would be a ground unit - the Joaquim Knucklehead

I thought flan and gin were the knuckleheads. Come up with something else unless my stats are crazy high.

Thief
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
haha. Just thinking Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is all...

Hahaha i know i'm just kidding. Thematically though Robin hood seems like it would belong in KA not MW. I do like the idea however maybe not in tights....but if thats what the people want...well who am i to argue :P

Hello Kitty
08-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello Kitty Operator? Lol

http://www.2dayblog.com/2008/01/24/hello-kitty-ar-15-assault-rifle/

Haha! Nice. I like it! How about one of these?

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/vw111/pinktank2.jpg

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/vw111/pinktank.jpg

Fun
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
i support this idea.

C0720
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
How about the

Charlie
Company
Mortar unit

For CCM

Speed ump
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I know what mine would be named, the STEPHENATOR. Lol

Arizona
08-17-2012, 06:50 AM
A very bad sucked up idea.
Modern War is more than just the popular forum posters.
Didn't I hear there's something like 1.5-2.0 million MW accounts? Don't know how many are active; nevertheless, those non forum dwellers trying to play a war game are wondering "What the hell is a Flancraft Carrier?" If only they knew, they'd be as pissed off as me and I'm sure others on here.
Getting forum members to name units after themselves leads to the stupidity in voting we've just seen, naming a unit after the village idiot. Be careful what you vote for in future. I don't think we need cliquey ideas that only a few out of the Modern War community understand.

albeezy
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
A very bad sucked up idea.
Modern War is more than just the popular forum posters.
Didn't I hear there's something like 1.5-2.0 million MW accounts? Don't know how many are active; nevertheless, those non forum dwellers trying to play a war game are wondering "What the hell is a Flancraft Carrier?" If only they knew, they'd be as pissed off as me and I'm sure others on here.
Getting forum members to name units after themselves leads to the stupidity in voting we've just seen, naming a unit after the village idiot. Be careful what you vote for in future. I don't think we need cliquey ideas that only a few out of the Modern War community understand.

There may only be .3% of players that have created acounts on the forum but I suspect there is more than that % that have visited. I visitied the forums for a long time and just read before deciding to make an account...

Arizona
08-17-2012, 07:29 AM
There may only be .3% of players that have created acounts on the forum but I suspect there is more than that % that have visited. I visitied the forums for a long time and just read before deciding to make an account...
Fair enough. I'm sure there are many more lurkers, or infrequent visitors. Of course we'll never know how many people joined or were turned away from the forum because of the unit naming poll. I know some people think it's fun and adds a bit of levity to the forum and game, but I think with members having units named after them makes the forum look like a closed community .
Let's just have real units from the military. Gree go out and get a copy of Jane's.
Slightly OT but Chocolate Submarine? FFS!

manbeast
08-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Manbeast would probably fit in better in KA haha

Sugarymama
08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Okay, I know it's been a long time since I've been on the forums, but what is Team Sexey? I am so lost right now..lol.

marebear
08-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I will totally vote for an agent orange.

Mcdoc
08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
I know what mine would be named, the STEPHENATOR. LolI think a tank with 1000 attack & 950 defense named "Speed Bump" would be more fitting to how you are known in the Forum :)

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Haha! Nice. I like it! How about one of these?

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/vw111/pinktank2.jpg

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t478/vw111/pinktank.jpg

Now those are cool! I might even consider buying gold to get them, plus I'm sure they will have the ability to cloak themselves.....

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
I think a tank with 1000 attack & 950 defense named "Speed Bump" would be more fitting to how you are known in the Forum :)

Agreed, I like Speed Bump for a name as well.

Mad
08-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Agreed, I like Speed Bump for a name as well.

Hey Agent Orange.... This is off topic and I apologize. But you are the second guy I have noticed that is a free player in whale territory -- level 170. You say you don't buy gold, but I take it you use Tapjoy.

Are you holding your own against the big boys?

What are your stats like? What are your primary units used to build defense and Attack?

How many allies do you have?

What is your IPH like? Is it enough?

I am trying to figure out what I need to to to prepare for the whale level.

Speed ump
08-17-2012, 12:28 PM
mad, its the same tactic i have said forever, be nice, make friends. agent orange is a friend to many pirates. or you can do what some recently did here in the forums, and the game. lip off, say bring it on, get vulgar. if someone attacks you you start a converstaion, dont mention what you lost, other than to say you hope it goes to a good cause. you dont even have to ally them, i have many guys i wont attack, but am not allied with.

Mad
08-17-2012, 01:12 PM
mad, its the same tactic i have said forever, be nice, make friends. agent orange is a friend to many pirates. or you can do what some recently did here in the forums, and the game. lip off, say bring it on, get vulgar. if someone attacks you you start a converstaion, dont mention what you lost, other than to say you hope it goes to a good cause. you dont even have to ally them, i have many guys i wont attack, but am not allied with.

Appreciate that. It is good advice for all levels, but particularly for whale territory.

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi Mad, Speed is 100% correct. Play with respect and you can avoid a lot of problems that the loudmouths encounter.

I have bought a bit of gold, just under $100 across my 4 players plus some tapjoy gold which helped pay for a Composite Factory. The other gold was used for a couple of events because at the time the end prize was worth the try.

In terms of survival, George posted a really good thread about survival in whale territory here,
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?38580-Whale-Zone-Survial-Tips!

I'm more of a tinkerer and strategist than anything else so that is what keeps me interested in the game. Primarily you need a very strong defence in whale territory or a base without a lot of tasty targets. As I posted in another thread I've made quite a few mistakes over the course of the game, plus the game itself can be your worst enemy because it has been known to change suddenly thus wiping out the strategy you had been using.

But right now I am working on methods of combating the 'glitchers' which is mainly by targeting their incoming units. I actually think they can be knocked down, the trick being to find their vulnerabilities.

Vballmadam
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
AO are you one of the first players to play modern war? If so, what was it like in the beginning when everyone was a newbie?

Thunder Child
08-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Appreciate that. It is good advice for all levels, but particularly for whale territory.Mad, I think the comments here are spot on, and George's advice will keep you in the right direction. I would add the following comments, though, which I posted a few minutes ago elsewhere - For me, post-130 as been an anticlimax if anything; I have barely been attacked by anyone, there are vastly fewer 'green' players to pick off, lucrative raiding opportunities are few and far between, valor missions are drying up and no longer pay for themselves.... It's dull, frustrating and unrewarding!

My point is, too many of us waste time worrying about the whale zone or camp out interminably in preparation for it, but when they get there wonder what the fuss was all about. Yes, I could've been in better shape by the time I got here if I had hung around and upgraded stuff at lower levels, but I'm not sure that would have made the game more rewarding up here.

Fl@sh
08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I think a tank with 1000 attack & 950 defense named "Speed Bump" would be more fitting to how you are known in the Forum :)
That's a great name. It could give you unlimited attacks on people with potty mouths... Does anybody else think we ruined any chance on naming another unit when we voted for the Flancraft Carrier?

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM

That's a pretty cool idea Miner.

Speed ump
08-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I really could not believe that the flan name won, I was flabbergasted. Since my in game name is stephen, I came up with a little bit of humor I post on the boards of some of my better " clients" that's where the stephen actor name came from. I will post it here for a good chuckle.
It slices, it dices, it shreds, minces, and pulverizes bases. That's right lady's and gentlemen, it's the Stephenator. This patented system is available for a limited time only, and is yours for the super low price of, free! That's right, free! ONLY a very few exclusive customer will receive their free Stephenator, after rigorous and exhaustive research to confirm you have met the proper criteria, and it has been determined you are in need of these special and exclusive services. Some services may not be avaible in all areas, and may vary by state. The Stephenator is a trademark of Pirate United Nation, and may not be copied, distributed, or imitated without the express permission of P.U.N.

overkill 280
08-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey Stephen, are you accepting any allies?

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
AO are you one of the first players to play modern war? If so, what was it like in the beginning when everyone was a newbie?

I started a couple of days after it was initially released in the Canadian app store. I am pretty sure that JMC is possibly one of the first players as well as being one of the first here in the forums but could be wrong.

The early days were fun and frustrating because the game was very much a work in progress so putting together a good strategy was difficult because things would change. There were no big gold spenders yet but in hindsight I can understand why they did what they did, it was logically the fastest way to get out from under attacks from the older more established players, at which point the arms race began and the rest as they say is history!

In the beginning we were all pretty much evenly matched but by picking the right units you could gain an advantage, plus valour was easier to come by. There were no boost buildings, and no events!

Crashing was a very common occurence so much so that at times the game was nearly unplayable so things have improved a lot in this area.

We complained about the rivals list even back then and still do as this seems to still be a work in progress.

Comunication between the devs and players has improved a lot since then which is huge. But bottom line is we've been lucky to have a very strong core group of players and forum members.

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I somehow missed the vote, I guess devs called the bluff and here we are.

WF, I'm sure a very low percentage of players do find their way here but maybe doing this type of thing might be a good way to generate visibility for the forum especially if some mention of how the units name was created was attached to the page that you got the unit from.

Agent Orange
08-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Good one Speed!

Speed ump
08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I started on the irst or second day of the game myself, it was much different in so many ways. There was no seperation of levels and players, because we all started the same. I remeber I became the strongest when I had 76 k. Wow, that seems so long ago, and such a low number, to think it was once the strongest number. Even all gold players have strategy, it's just on a different level, and not based as much on how o build and army as it is how to outplay an oponent.

Fl@sh
08-18-2012, 08:52 AM
It slices, it dices, it shreds, minces, and pulverizes bases. That's right lady's and gentlemen, it's the Stephenator. This patented system is available for a limited time only, and is yours for the super low price of, free! That's right, free! ONLY a very few exclusive customer will receive their free Stephenator, after rigorous and exhaustive research to confirm you have met the proper criteria, and it has been determined you are in need of these special and exclusive services. Some services may not be avaible in all areas, and may vary by state. The Stephenator is a trademark of Pirate United Nation, and may not be copied, distributed, or imitated without the express permission of P.U.N.
At one point I was gonna do something like this "You have just been Fl@shed by Team Sexey" i wasn't sure how that would be taken by P.U.N....

Vballmadam
08-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks AO and Steven! I really appreciate you sharing.

Vballmadam
08-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I started on the irst or second day of the game myself, it was much different in so many ways. There was no seperation of levels and players, because we all started the same. I remeber I became the strongest when I had 76 k. Wow, that seems so long ago, and such a low number, to think it was once the strongest number. Even all gold players have strategy, it's just on a different level, and not based as much on how o build and army as it is how to outplay an oponent.

I think I'm allied with the fake Steven. I justed visited his base and read his wall. Doesn't match up with what you post on the forums. I thought we were allies but guess not. I want the real Stephen. Please friend me.

War Priest
08-18-2012, 09:18 AM
I think my name as it is is the only one that fits right for a unit. :D

Mcdoc
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I would be honored if they named a unit after my Naval position vs my name.

The already have a "medic" - which is an Army term - but a Corpsman - ask ANY Marine - is much more than some Zero Attack asset.

I served 8 of my 10 years as a Navy Corpsman with Marine Units. I trained with Marines, wore their camo uniform way more than I ever wore a Navy uniform - but most of all - I'm a fighter!

Because of Geneva Convention rules for Medical Personnel - I could only carry a 9 Mil pistol when all the Marines carried an M-16 rifles - but we qualified on the M16 as well and I had no problems picking up an M16 and going on the offensive to protect a position ( or patient) and then using the 9 mil for close range support. If a Coprsman could get rated as a sharpshooter - I would have been one to try (I don't mean sharpshooter the range qualification - I mean Sharpshooter the "Job"). on a Seal team - the Doc is just as deadly as any other member - but with the Marines - a Corpsman is the one running back and forth in enemy fire picking up the injured and drafting them to safety while everyone else takes cover to secure the position. That's why Navy Corpsman are the most decorated rating with Medals of Honor.

Guess that's why I loved Paintball SO much on my off time. We used to paintball in a wooded area near the base and I would get all Camied Up and go solo sharpshooter and end up ambushing 3 or 4 guys that had just walked past my position thinking they were safely behind enemy lines. Because of my hiegth and woodsman tactics - my paintball nickname was Wookie. They used to say - I'm not going over there until someone finds the Wookie - LoL

So if they came out with an Infantry unit called the Marine Corps Doc (which is what MC Doc stands for combined with Emcee Doc since I am a DJ) with stats like 90 attack & 140 defense - then that would be the ultimate "Name to fit the Player" honor - although I personally prefer Air Units :)

The funny thing is that all the Marines would know that would be honoring Corpsman (pronounced "Core Man" not "Corpse Man" like our uniformed President says and then blames it on the person who typed up his Tele-Prompter because he has No knowledge of US Miltary history) and everyone else without a military background would assume it was an actual Marine - which I personally felt like much more a Marine than a sailor.

Thunder Child
08-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I think my name as it is is the only one that fits right for a unit. :DRespectfully disagree; 'Thunder Child' would make an awesome sea unit (or ideed any unit). Consider that H G Wells famously wrote about the 'Thuderchild' in War of the Worlds - not why I chose the name, I hasten to add (see avatar for that).

Sadly, since I entered my own name in the now infamous name a ship comp and didn't even get placed, unless I die tragically in-game and move you all to honor me in this way, it's not going to happen!

Miner
08-18-2012, 06:20 PM
McDoc - appreciate the story, but I appreciate the service more. I would vote to honor guys who have served in the military before other forum members. Military the law enforcement (you're close enough WP) then the rest of us. I'd never mess with a navy man (well, maybe a little) -- especially won who trained all the time win the marines! Though I would challenge you to a shooting competition if I were close enough to you. ;)