PDA

View Full Version : Defense Strategy Tip - "Dynamic Defense"

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 04:14 AM
There's been many game strategies discussed on the forums in the past but I don't think anyone had mention this before so I will share it with the group.

This strategy, that i refer to as "Dynamic Defense", was something that I came up with when I first started playing MW as a no gold/low gold spender.

To defend against raids on money buildings that would inevitably become "mature" during a time when I would be asleep or unable to be online to collect, I would constantly shift my "at risk" money buildings in and out of my "circle of defense".

The "circle of defense" is an area on my base where a building placed there is under the protection of multiple, overlapping fields (the coverage of the defense field can be seen when you select and try to move the defense building, the protected buildings will be highlighted) of defense from my various defense buildings such as EMP cannons, bunkers, etc.

I often would have over a dozen defense buildings protecting the "asset" and increase its defense dramatically. Any raider/intruder would suffer significantly higher casualty rates and make it unprofitable for them to raid.

I can't say how much that strategy helped vs. if I never deployed it but I was raided rarely, even from much stronger opponents.

Please note that this strategy works better for lower level players but decreases in its effectiveness up at higher levels as the defense stats contributed from the defense buildings seems to be progressive less, percentage wise. At my levels now, the defense buildings is about useless.

In order to deploy this strategy, you will also need to have at lease a couple pieces of expansion/land free to maneuver your buildings around.

"Static Defense" strategies is less work but offers less protection and most of the time your defense buildings are not protecting anything. "Dynamic Defense" offers the player an option to double, triple, quaduple, etc. their building protection by selectively choosing which at risk building to protect.

I hope this help with some of the beginning players and something else to add to the numerous game strategies offered on this forum.

Jhoemel
08-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks wdigeorge. Thats what Im doing with my base since the start. I have multiple defense building covering my money buildings.

By the way thanks for not raiding me a while back :)

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 05:21 AM
The key is constantly "moving" at risk money buildings in and out of the protection zone, not just static defense buildings surrounding money or boost buildings. This way you always have the highest level of defense protection surrounding only building(s) needing protection.

Jhoemel
08-15-2012, 05:25 AM
I see, but i cant do it man coz my base is like a sardines in a can. Its packed. I dont have a lot of space :)

Bronson
08-15-2012, 05:31 AM
That's a nice little strategy there George and one I never even thought of. Would be a very good tip for the newcomers to the game not much help to me as I use the sardines base strategy.

You on European time now??

BigDog146400220
08-15-2012, 05:41 AM
I see, but i cant do it man coz my base is like a sardines in a can. Its packed. I dont have a lot of space :)

Nice to know my base isn't the only tht suffers from this affliction. I have even had comments on my wall about my base being overcrowded. Lol.

Thanks for the strategy tip George. If I can ever free up some space I will likely give it a try.

Jhoemel
08-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Nice to know my base isn't the only tht suffers from this affliction. I have even had comments on my wall about my base being overcrowded. Lol.

Thanks for the strategy tip George. If I can ever free up some space I will likely give it a try.

Hahaha, i dont waste space. Before i even buy barrels for the small free spaces that i cant squeeze the building with :p

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 05:54 AM
That's a nice little strategy there George and one I never even thought of. Would be a very good tip for the newcomers to the game not much help to me as I use the sardines base strategy.

Yes, this strategy requires the player to leave out at least one or more lots of land for maneuvering. My base is also a super dense with only a few spaces left to fit an oil drum. Try to pair like buildings together or buildings with the same footprint. It will help you organize the base more efficiently.

I see many bases with the same static layout. When you grow and expand don't be shy to do some "house cleaning" every now and then and completely rearrange your base. I think. Have completely rearranged my base half a dozen times as I acquire new buildings and expanded, the old base layout isn't as efficient anymore.

Yes, I am on European time now, so all you sleepy heads in the states better watch out! Lol

Bronson
08-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Yes, this strategy requires the player to leave out at least one or more lots of land for maneuvering. My base is also a super dense with only a few spaces left to fit an oil drum. Try to pair like buildings together or buildings with the same footprint. It will help you organize the base more efficiently.

I see many bases with the same static layout. When you grow and expand don't be shy to do some "house cleaning" every now and then and completely rearrange your base. I think. Have completely rearranged my base half a dozen times as I acquire new buildings and expanded, the old base layout isn't as efficient anymore.

Yes, I am on European time now, so all you sleepy heads in the states better watch out! Lol

Yep I got all the buildings I could to run in pairs it looks good on the eye and more efficient for collections. If your running European time I find raiding is most profitable between 08:00 - 12:00 GMT I have picked off plenty of oil rigs during these hours 😃

Aidan
08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Nice tip there george. Sadly, like jhoemel and bigdog my base is like a sultan's harem. Full of girls...and gawkers. Cant hardly breathe there.

The type of buildings is important as well. The high levels buildings like nano,oil rigs have a higher natural defence and give higher casualties towards raiders as compared to munition stockpiles, war factory etc. So for low levels dont concentrate much of your time/money upgrading these, instead go for the high lvls building like the ones i mentioned above.

Arizona
08-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Same here Bron. I wait for the west coast to go to sleep and by mid to late morning I can usually find a few bases to harvest.

Samantha Turtle
08-15-2012, 06:49 AM

I am blown away by this thread... I thought it was a given you overlap. I look at people like bronsns base with everything in groups and def buildings no where near vital buildings... Sorry Bron... My entire KA set up was a circle of every def building with IPH in and around circle.

Something I thought players should consider at higher levels is this... Let's say I find someone with level 3 or higher boost buildings.... Assume even spread of def points across all types (sea/air etc) Nthen taking down that level three boost reduces their def by around 1.5%. On 50,000 defence that drops them by say 750... Taking down a comp... Well that drops them a lot lot more! And do you know how many players have all their boosts and comp sitting pretty all lined up neatly as can be no where near defence buildings..

I recommend that as you move up you make sure every def building you have covers your core boost and comp buildings. Making an odd IPH building a little bit tougher pales next to the damage an attacker can do to your defence score with a couple of quick take downs of boost buildings....

Just saying since I'm a hard core raider. One guy I hit had level 8 air and 6 ground boosts... His stats dropped from 63000 to 54000 when I took them out.... Then I ate up all his IPH buildings without any more losses.

Bronson
08-15-2012, 06:51 AM
I haven't finished my base yet as I'm to cheap to get the expansions needed as they are not my main concern at the moment. When I get my stats where I want them then I concentrate on base layout.

This game is about prioritising your main needs and since I don't lose attacks or raids I don't need the expansions.

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 06:53 AM
It is common for people to overlap defenses, what is not common is people who selectively move buildings in and out of a heavily protected zone on an as needed basis. I can have all five EMP cannons, Rail Guns, mine fields, etc. protecting one selective building, say a nano, that is due to payout at 3 am while I am asleep using this dynamic defense strategy.

If you use the static, non moving strategy, you may only have 2-4 defense buildings protecting your most valuable and at risk asset and the rest of the defense buildings are spread out protecting money buildings that you have already collected and will not be at risk of be raided.

I am blown away by this thread... I thought it was a given you overlap. I look at people like bronsnbase with everythin in groups and def buildings no where near vital buildings... Sorry Bron... My entire KA set up was a circle of every def building with IPH in and around circle.

Something thought players should consider at higher levels is this... Let's say I find someone with level 3 or higher boost buildings.... Assume even spread of def points across all types (sea/air etc) then taking down that level three boost reduces their def by around 1.5%. On 50,000 defence that drops them by say 750... Taking down a comp... Well that drops them a lot lot more! And do you know how many players have all their boosts and comp sitting pretty all lined up neatly as can be no where near defence buildings..

I recommend that as you move up you make sure every def building you have covers your core boost and comp buildings. Making an odd IPH building a little bit tougher pales next to the damage an attacker can do to your defence score with a couple of quick take downs of boost buildings....

Just saying since I'm a hard core raider. One guy I hit had level 8 air and 6 ground boosts... His stats dropped from 63000 to 54000 when I took them out.... Then I ate up all his IPH buildings without any more losses.

Samantha Turtle
08-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I haven't finished my base yet as I'm to cheap to get the expansions needed as they are not my main concern at the moment. When I get my stats where I want them then I concentrate on base layout.

This game is about prioritising your main needs and since I don't lose attacks or raids I don't need the expansions.

Big Boaster for a rainbow sprite.... Lol... Times up.. You 'come out' to anyone why you have changed your avatar to a rainbow love icon?

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Again, this strategy is for entry level players. At the higher levels, I would put more emphasis on defending boost buildings for sure, especially the Composit factory, air, sea, etc.

Samantha Turtle
08-15-2012, 06:58 AM
It is common for people to overlap defenses, what is not common is people who selectively move buildings in and out of a heavily protected zone on an as needed basis. I can have all five EMP cannons, Rail Guns, mine fields, etc. protecting one selective building, say a nano, that is due to payout at 3 am while I am asleep using this dynamic defense strategy.

If you use the static, non moving strategy, you may only have 2-4 defense buildings protecting your most valuable and at risk asset and the rest of the defense buildings are spread out protecting money buildings that you have already collected and will not be at risk of be raided.

Understood, and helpful, but more defence comes from keeping boosts from going down at higher levels... You can easily use your strategy while ensuring your top boosts are always covered as well. What level are you and what allies... I'll pop in and say hello if your near? I'm 128 with 440 allies

Bronson
08-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Understood, and helpful, but more defence comes from keeping boosts from going down at higher levels... You can easily use your strategy while ensuring your top boosts are always covered as well. What level are you and what allies... I'll pop in and say hello if your near? I'm 128 with 440 allies

I would bolt down your valor units before you tap George lol

I will concentrate more on covering boosts than money buildings as that's much more imperative than missing a collection (to me anyway) spring cleaning will be in order before that tho.

Everson25
08-15-2012, 07:06 AM
I really appreciate the tips. I was thinking not long ago that I would have to rearrange my whole base in order to put everything in order. I guess I need to expand again. At least it will be an opportunity to do something different than just worrying about my def stats and IPH.

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 07:13 AM

George Russian Flag, Level 178 with 499 allies. I can see down to level 90's to 200, but haven't seen you yet. I thought your name look familiar and you might be in my ally list from a long time ago but can't find it.

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Good Luck taking down my boost buildings, "turtle!" They have better defensive coverage than my money buildings do. I realized a long time ago that the best defense for money buildings is simply collecting right on time, whereas boost buildings need round-the-clock protection. My Comp is protected by (at least) 3 Railguns, 3 EMP's, and 3 Minefields. I won't list all of the defense buildings covering it, as some of the forum members are on my rivals list. Also, some of my defensive buildings are hidden.

At this point, I feel like if you can successfully take down my CF, you could have taken what you wanted in the first place without wasting your time doing so. And the casualties a regular player would take in the process would far outweigh the money they would score from the short-cycle buildings I can't collect while sleeping.

George- Awesome strategy tip. I have 2 squares near my Comp that would be perfect for this plan, as they benefit from the intense coverage there. I just need no buy a couple of 20 Mill squares so I can rotate them as necessary.

Thank you! (Also, I sent you an ally request the other day.)

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Good Luck taking down my boost buildings, "turtle!" They have better defensive coverage than my money buildings do. I realized a long time ago that the best defense for money buildings is simply collecting right on time, whereas boost buildings need round-the-clock protection. My Comp is protected by (at least) 3 Railguns, 3 EMP's, and 3 Minefields. I won't list all of the defense buildings covering it, as some of the forum members are on my rivals list. Also, some of my defensive buildings are hidden.

At this point, I feel like if you can successfully take down my CF, you could have taken what you wanted in the first place without wasting your time doing so. And the casualties a regular player would take inn the process would far outweigh the money they would score from the short-cycle buildings I can't collect while sleeping.

George- Awesome strategy tip. I have 2 squares near my Comp that would be perfect for this plan, as they benefit from the intense coverage there. I just need no buy a couple of 20 Mill squares so I can rotate them as necessary.

Thank you! (Also, I sent you an ally request the other day.)

See? Pirates are not all gold and no brains ;-) lol

Plenty of strategy at the highest levels where the heavy gold players battle it out. It is somewhat different ball game than the rest, but that's another story...

I will add you when I move up my ally count for hunting rivals. Right now i am still plugging away at 499. :)

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
See? Pirates are not all gold and no brains ;-) lol

Haha! Hey I have NEVER once bashed a Pirate! I have probably crossed the line the other way and kissed up a little too much sometimes, but I have actually defended you guys in the past (before you started coming on to defend yourselves.)

sexkitteh
08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Quick question regarding defense buildings - are they worth leveling up?

I'm only lvl5 so I've got 5x Guard Towers... would these be worth taking up to lvl 10? I'm assuming they go to lvl10...

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 08:00 AM

I'm only lvl5 so I've got 5x Guard Towers... would these be worth taking up to lvl 10? I'm assuming they go to lvl10...

The defense buildings I find are much more effective earlier on. Since you're at level 5, it will benefit you. The guard towers doesnt take long to upgrade but I would look at getting other higher level defense buildings. If you plan on spending any gold at all in this game, my best advise is do it EARLY in the game rather than later, such as getting EMP cannons. At the low levels, they are very effective deterrent against raids and will allow you to get ahead faster.

sexkitteh
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Ok cool - I appreciate the tip :)

albeezy
08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

In my opinion there is no need or use for upgrading them unless you:
1. are an all gold player and dont have money buildings, but then whats the point of upgrading them;
2. have already maxed all other buildings out either because you can't save enough unvaulted cash to reach higher level building upgrade or they are all at 10 (doubt you're here yet)
3. you plan to upgrade a railgun and sell it later for 7.5 million (ive thought about it but the 100+ hour upgrade time seems ridiculous)

If one of these scenarios floats your FLANcraft Carrier, then upgrade away

Procyon
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
George- this is a very smart idea. It's sort of liking putting the valuables in the safe when you're away. My base is packed too but I've left about 2.5 blocks open at this point to have as a temporary holding place for moving buildings around. Of course I'm at a low level so it's easier for me. I have decent coverage with the D buildings now but am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Great thread and great ideas from all!

Maverick50727
08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
The defense buildings I find are much more effective earlier on. Since you're at level 5, it will benefit you. The guard towers doesnt take long to upgrade but I would look at getting other higher level defense buildings. If you plan on spending any gold at all in this game, my best advise is do it EARLY in the game rather than later, such as getting EMP cannons. At the low levels, they are very effective deterrent against raids and will allow you to get ahead faster.

Good strategy for the low I agree. I was a great advocate for defenses early on and they do make a difference. But like you say in the upper level mean nothing. The skills points allocated I think outweigh the defenses at some point. I saw effectiveness start to go down around L50 myself. By the time I was L100 I could raid a rivals money building under coverage of 5 EMP (2 L3, 2 L2 1 L1). I even raided the 5 EMPs afterwards for good measure. I've heard people state being raided under covrage under L10 EMP but I can't imagine the upgrade cost and time on those as I'm a free player.

Also good advice to rearrange your base . I have several times. I have space now, but I'm just waiting for new buildings and see if some are defenses and their size to determine where to go. Coverage of your boosts is wise too, but I haven't had to worry about that much yet, but is in my plans. Hidden defenses are cool too at lower levels. I hid a number of my defenses to test results early on. When people came raiding I put hidden def on one building and left the other uncovered. I let the money sit uncollected to see the results. When people raided and lost, the building with the def was intact, the same level building not covered by defense was hit. So in early levels you can see defenses do work.

Knowing what I do today I would never upgrade any of my defenses though unless I have nothing else to do. The time wasted early on to upgrade all my defenses woul have been much better spent on money buildings as a free player. So I would recommend new players buy 5 of each but leave them at L1. Only after having a large economy of unit upgrades done, then proceed to upgrade defenses when you have idle time. Meaning if you know it will take you 24 hours to make enough moeny for your next upgrade, do a 12 hour upgrade of a defense instead of wasting time. Time is the most valuable resource you have, don't wast it.

War Priest
08-15-2012, 10:10 AM
This is what I am planning to do with my composite factory. Surround it with 5 EMPs.

"Circle of Defense". I like that. :)

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Wow that is a very clever strategy George thanks for sharing!

In the beginning there were players that said that placement of your defensive buildings did not matter. I always tended to disagree with this, why would the devs go to all the trouble of programming in that blue halo to indicate your coverage range? So I also grouped my most valuable buildings within the multiple halos of my defences and that seemed to reduced the number of players raiding them unless of course you were up against someone exceptionally strong at which point George's plan 'B" makes a lot of sense which is to try and start grouping the harvesting times of your buildings.

Good solid intel here in his posts!

Q Raider
08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice strategy Wdigeorge.

Have another one to consider re the composite. There is a way to 100% protect it from being raided if you plan things correctly. :-)

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Nice strategy Wdigeorge.

Have another one to consider re the composite. There is a way to 100% protect it from being raided if you plan things correctly. :-)

Cloaking with pink trees? Sorry that was just way to tempting....... ;^P

Q Raider
08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Cloaking with pink trees? Sorry that was just way to tempting....... ;^P

Nice one :-)

But no, not Pink Trees, just thoughtful placement of "structures".

Gambit12
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I HATE THIS PEOPLE ABUSE ME IN MW.. people that attack me mostly atk & def around 40k & up.. i wonder why there atk & def are up there so fast and i got stock at around 38k on atk & def.. is there anybody can help me how can i get up there where they at right now... Thanks a lot in advance..!!

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
I HATE THIS PEOPLE ABUSE ME IN MW.. people that attack me mostly atk & def around 40k & up.. i wonder why there atk & def are up there so fast and i got stock at around 38k on atk & def.. is there anybody can help me how can i get up there where they at right now... Thanks a lot in advance..!!

This is off topic, you should start a new thread for advice and you should post details such as level, ally count, country, etc. etc. without that information, it is hard to help you.

leo23
08-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Awesome ideas from George and everyone! Please keep them coming guys, cheers :)

Gambit12
08-16-2012, 09:32 AM
This is off topic, you should start a new thread for advice and you should post details such as level, ally count, country, etc. etc. without that information, it is hard to help you.

Thats what the topic said is "Defensive Strategy Tip"...C'mon now...i don't need info about level, ally count, country, & etc... All i need is the main topic which is DEFENSIVE STRATEGY TIP.. If u can't help then say no, u can't.. No Big Deal..!!

Wdigeorge
08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Thats what the topic said is "Defensive Strategy Tip"...C'mon now...i don't need info about level, ally count, country, & etc... All i need is the main topic which is DEFENSIVE STRATEGY TIP.. If u can't help then say no, u can't.. No Big Deal..!!

You obviously don't understand the game very well. The topic is on one specific tip only that I wanted to share with the forum, not discussing a "comprehensive" strategy to help one person.

In order to HELP YOU one needs to know your current stats. The help you need would vary if you're a level 10, 50, or 150 player. One example is the units and maps unlock at different levels.

So before you get too excited, please understand I am trying to help you by asking these questions. Just like if you're going to see a Dr., he/she is going to ask you some questions first to better diagonse the problem before they can help you.

Don't make me regret being nice to you and trying to help.

azy
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Great tip George. A refreshing thread about the game itself. And quite a surprise given that I thought the game was pretty much exhausted.

Miner
08-16-2012, 10:53 AM
You obviously don't understand the game very well. The topic is on one specific tip only that I wanted to share with the forum, not discussing a "comprehensive" strategy to help one person.

In order to HELP YOU one needs to know your current stats. The help you need would vary if you're a level 10, 50, or 150 player. One example is the units and maps unlock at different levels.

So before you get too excited, please understand I am trying to help you by asking these questions. Just like if you're going to see a Dr., he/she is going to ask you some questions first to better diagonse the problem before they can help you.

Handled this one well George. Great response.

Miner
08-16-2012, 10:57 AM

If I remember from previous posts, Gambit's around level 149-150. Somewhere in there.

Gambit12
08-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Alright george.. My bad! i will never ask you anymore.. Every time i see your name in the thread i will never post not even a single word.. i rather ask someone who has patience like miner, jhomel, war priest, or somebody else...

Wdigeorge
08-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Alright george.. My bad! i will never ask you anymore.. Every time i see your name in the thread i will never post not even a single word.. i rather ask someone who has patience like miner, jhomel, war priest, or somebody else...

Are you serious?!? If I wasn't patient I wouldn't have asked you additional information to try and help you. Yes, please ask someone else with more patience and knowledge, I am obviously lacking in both.

SGT Barr
08-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I love this idea. Very smart thinking. It works great if you can time your big money spots to hit at different times. Thank you for sharing

Ascent
08-17-2012, 06:33 PM
I started to play the dynamic defense... me likes :D finally something happening!!! hehehe
Though, I almost checkmated myself yesterday while moving two BioDomes to B3, B4...

Wdigeorge
08-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I started to play the dynamic defense... me likes :D finally something happening!!! hehehe
Though, I almost checkmated myself yesterday while moving two BioDomes to B3, B4...

I am glad that the dynamic defense strategy is working out for ya. If you do it right, you can get your defense boost up 10x or more.