PDA

View Full Version : Anything better than ambulances to increase defense?

Brugernavn
08-15-2012, 02:31 AM
I find ambulances to give a pretty good boost to defense if you buy a whole lot of them. But are there smarter units to buy to increase defense stats?

I play as Russia, but as it is now an ambulance gives me 13 defense pr. ambulance and those Global hawk drones only gives 10 pr. unit.

Right now I have like 430 ambulances, should I just go crazy and stock up on these or what would be smarter?

Thanks

Bronson
08-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Ambulances are good for lower levels but I wouldn't get anymore than you have now. You need to upgrade to the middle tier defence units like SS drones or mine launchers.

Brugernavn
08-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Well, I'm at lvl 70. What lvl of which of the two airunit buildings will unlock the mentioned units?

Bronson
08-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Mine launcher - lvl 6 shipyard
SS drones - lvl 9 airfield

Brugernavn
08-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Thanks...I'll work on that...

Jhoemel
08-15-2012, 03:17 AM
I have 900 military ambulance and working on my ss drones now. Currently i have 149

Poopenshire
08-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Start working towards carriers. At 46 boosted defense they are great. Us they have a strong against air. But being 5.4 mil each means you need to start early buying them to get alot. I just hit 41 of them and want hundreds.

Arizona
08-15-2012, 04:51 AM
I find ambulances to give a pretty good boost to defense if you buy a whole lot of them. But are there smarter units to buy to increase defense stats?

I play as Russia, but as it is now an ambulance gives me 13 defense pr. ambulance and those Global hawk drones only gives 10 pr. unit.

Right now I have like 430 ambulances, should I just go crazy and stock up on these or what would be smarter?

Thanks
Buy Stealth Surveillance Drones as a medium term option while upgrading your hangar to level 10 to get the boost to air power. Long term, I'd only be buying Aircraft Carriers.

el_gringo
08-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Yeah I'm at level 60 and I've moved on to a policy of replacing my ambulances but not buying more, and skipping straight to carriers (of which I have 1 so far!) as my new purchase for defensive duties, with the attack I'm using valour for SH and stealth frigates

Procyon
08-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Since you're Russia while working your way to the stealth surveillance drones think about mixing in more global hawk drones and then stratotankers and comanches. You at least get a strong against with the globals. If you havent yet max upgrade the airship hangar and if you spend gold get the composites factory. The Sea scouts are 1 less defense than the ambulances but their very low causality and have a strong against. I love the mine launchers.

Poopenshire
08-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Since you're Russia while working your way to the stealth surveillance drones think about mixing in more global hawk drones and then stratotankers and comanches. You at least get a strong against with the globals. If you havent yet max upgrade the airship hangar and if you spend gold get the composites factory. The Sea scouts are 1 less defense than the ambulances but their very low causality and have a strong against. I love the mine launchers.

Mine launchers die like crazy for me, as well as sea scouts (go figure for UK). I went from MA to SSD and now Carriers. each player has to feel out their own casualty areas for just the right unit. I am dreading the first time i lose a Carrier.

Bronson
08-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Mine launchers die like crazy for me, as well as sea scouts (go figure for UK). I went from MA to SSD and now Carriers. each player has to feel out their own casualty areas for just the right unit. I am dreading the first time i lose a Carrier.

I lost a carrier and only had 12 at the time - worst day of my life

mickymacirl
08-15-2012, 05:45 AM

Stealth Surv Drones seem to work OK for me. Better to lose them than SH or EH's, which I lose anyways.

Procyon
08-15-2012, 05:53 AM

That's a good point, Poop. I suppose causality rates will be a little different for all depending on the make up of their inventory and the one of the rival. I've had good luck with the sea scouts but the potential bad side with a unit with decent D and A is a player could be bringing them in for attacks as well which increases the chances of losing them as opposed to something that doesn't make the trip to attack.

Don't have the aircraft carrier yet but I know what you mean. Whenever I see the dreaded skull and cross bones I hold my breath is not a stealth bomber (knock on iPad screen). I've come to laugh and accept yet another SH spiraling to earth.

Aidan
08-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Go for SS Drones and MIne Launchers. These work best for cash unit even at high levels.
Obviously Aircraft Carrier is the ultimate def cash units but it will take you a long long time to acquire a significant number of them. At best you can buy 2 or 3 of them per day from your buildings. Gonna take 7/8 months just to have 500 of them. Not to mention it gonna cost you over 2.5 billion cash.....

I'm not saying dont buy them. Buy AC but mix it with SS Drone and ML

Brettm_001
08-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Bang for your buck MA can't be beat. I have 1200 of them. It's a good way to quickly boost your defense. I also upgraded my ground boost building significantly to further boost the MA. I started buying ML's but found that I was only getting4-5 points of defense from them (and at around 500k each was not very economical. Now I am jumping straight to AC's as that is the best defensive cash unit you can get. And as others have mentioned, composite factory is a huge boost. It is attainable even for free (tap joy) players with a bit of work.

Thief
08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
The Critical Component of Information i didn't see was what is your IPH? Everyone talks about the end game but as some have mentioned buying Aircraft Carries aren't feasable unless you simply don't know what to do with your cash.

After you tell your IPH the next question is going to be how many troops do you bring to battle? Do you use max allies?

Finally how many troops of those have a Defensive score of 18 or better? Consider this for the cost of 1 Air craft Carrier you can almost buy 65 Military Ambulances. That means you can either buy 600+ Military Ambuilances or 10 Aircraft Carriers.

My reccomendation would be to allow 75% of your army that comes to battle to be a Military Ambuilance at this point.
From there my next reccomendation would be to unlock SSD. Since you are russia they are going to have a boost anyways and they are more expensive but they will provide you with a Med. level of Defense. It's up to you but i would buy somewhere between 25-50% of your bring to defensive battle with these (although make sure your weakest offensive unit is a Seal or Submarine so you don't bring them to battle. Personally i will buy 500 of these before moving onto the Aircraft Carriers.

~Ace

overkill 280
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
I like the SSD's, Haven't lost any yet in attacking. And I've been buying carriers here and there as I can afford them.

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
The downside to going so heavy into MA's is that you will eventually outgrow them. The SSD is a great midterm unit, but the AC should be your goal. Raw numbers are important, but density is even more important. I will always go for a single high-power unit over multiple lower stat ones, now that I have seen millions of dollars in units sit on the sidelines because I outgrew them. You don't have to start making endgame moves in the lower levels, but you should at least be planning for them.

Selfproclaimed
08-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I have like 155 SSG . What sucks is now for every 3 I buy, I only get 1 extra boost point added to em

Mad
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I have like 155 SSG . What sucks is now for every 3 I buy, I only get 1 extra boost point added to em

lol.... I feel real sorry for you. Life is tough.

I added a sea scout 3A/17D to see what it would do for my defense. It added 15 to the score. That is how bad my defense is. Even worse, I noticed it even increased my attack.

If it would make you feel better I would swap my army for yours, and to show you how generous I am I won't even ask you to throw anything in extra.

War Priest
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Do you have a composite factory?

Selfproclaimed
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Me? I have a level 10 composites, level 5 air hangar and Russia. When I first started buying the SSG , I was getting like 2-3 extra PER UNIT... Now I'm lucky if I get 1 extra boost point per 3 units.

Poopenshire
08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
The downside to going so heavy into MA's is that you will eventually outgrow them. The SSD is a great midterm unit, but the AC should be your goal. Raw numbers are important, but density is even more important. I will always go for a single high-power unit over multiple lower stat ones, now that I have seen millions of dollars in units sit on the sidelines because I outgrew them. You don't have to start making endgame moves in the lower levels, but you should at least be planning for them.

I agree partly with this, while you may out grow them, they will always provide a backstop to a major change in casualty rates or a war. while you do move on to say carriers, what happens during a war and your carriers are wiped out, unless you have a back stop of successive levels of defense your wiped out. Myself, I built that with MA, SSD, and a mix of ML and SC. If my first level defense get wiped out my sub-levels fill in to replace it and allow me to function longer, in the hopes of never being fully depleted.

War Priest
08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Me? I have a level 10 composites, level 5 air hangar and Russia. When I first started buying the SSG , I was getting like 2-3 extra PER UNIT... Now I'm lucky if I get 1 extra boost point per 3 units.

Not you. I was wondering if the thread owner has one.

But the cash units are really low. I Have no idea what to buy once I end my gold streak.

Selfproclaimed
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Lol mad . Times are tough. I just unlocked the aircraft carrier. But now gotta work up my iph so I can afford those,lol I'll let you know how much boost. I get from it. When I by an elite ops heli. It has 48 defense, but with my boost, it gives me 56 ...so far at least

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree partly with this, while you may out grow them, they will always provide a backstop to a major change in casualty rates or a war. while you do move on to say carriers, what happens during a war and your carriers are wiped out, unless you have a back stop of successive levels of defense your wiped out. Myself, I built that with MA, SSD, and a mix of ML and SC. If my first level defense get wiped out my sub-levels fill in to replace it and allow me to function longer, in the hopes of never being fully depleted.

You have a good point. I was sad when I realized I was pushing my mine launchers out of my defense. They served me well. But you are correct, they will always be there as a safety net if my AC's and SSD's get wiped out.

Fifth Reich
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Right now I can hardly afford 4 carriers a week so I'm pouring all my cash on Ambulances and SSD. I was just randomly wasting my cash on random units and my stats hardly changed. Now I'm buying like 20 ambulances and 4 SSD a day. After I get 600 MA, I will get 300 SSD. After I enter whales, I will start to buy ACs.

Fifth Reich
08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Another problem is the cost to maintain a strong fleet. I am sad when I lose expensive units.

Poopenshire
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
IPH the best defensive unit you can buy. wdigeorge said it best in the other defense thread. you can never have enough money. Even War Priest who has a mostly golden army has a very good IPH to buy good cash units if he needs it. Look at the friends the Pirates that post here, they all have good IPHs. Cash units are hard to afford but will suppliment a good army at any level or price.

John Snow
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I added a sea scout 3A/17D to see what it would do for my defense. It added 15 to the score. That is how bad my defense is. Even worse, I noticed it even increased my attack.

LOL! That's awesome!

John Snow
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
The "problem" with carriers is their 27 attack. I initially tried VFJs as meat shields but I still lost carriers. I finally upgraded my airfield and am adding B-52s as fast as I can but I'm still bringing about 20 carriers into every attack. For a free player with a middling IPH ($300k) having carriers as a defensive backbone is really expensive.

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 11:50 AM
The "problem" with carriers is their 27 attack. I initially tried VFJs as meat shields but I still lost carriers. I finally upgraded my airfield and am adding B-52s as fast as I can but I'm still bringing about 20 carriers into every attack. For a free player with a middling IPH ($300k) having carriers as a defensive backbone is really expensive.

I agree that it is an expensive way to go, but at least you won't feel like the money was wasted a few months from now when you are still using them. I think it seems smarter to build the strongest army possible slowly than to nickel and dime your way to a mediocre army quickly.

.Crime City Mark.
08-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Please do not discuss ambulances.

Hassleham
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
please do not discuss ambulances.

hahahahahahahahaa!

Wdigeorge
08-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Really? Who are you trying to pretend to be CCM? Signed on today with 19 posts? Wambo, is that you?

Ryans67
08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Definately Wambo.

Thief
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Darn somebody beet me too it. Why is somebody pretending to be CCM?

John Snow
08-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I agree that it is an expensive way to go, but at least you won't feel like the money was wasted a few months from now when you are still using them. I think it seems smarter to build the strongest army possible slowly than to nickel and dime your way to a mediocre army quickly.

I go through B-52s almost faster than I can replace them. What do you use as your carrier meat shield?

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I also agree that IPH is important but you need to be careful as well in terms of your stats. In my case I levelled up way to fast because when the game first came out there were no whales and it was easy to grab a lot of valour units through attacks.

That left me in a very precarious position where I have a fairly low IPH and kind of low defence stats. Once deep within whale territory you will get overwhelmed by stronger players if you have weak defence but tasty money buildings. Why I have not built Nano's because one problem is you don't want to become everyone's ATM. If you do then your buildings are not helping you but making your opponents stronger.

If that is the case you wind up doing a lot of missions for high cash payouts instead but the downside is levelling up. So really having a good plan right from the very beginning is exceptionally important!

I am a strong believer in targeting your rivals army, so basically it means building a strong air defence. If you are up against an all gold army there isn't a whole lot you can do you just have to sit back and get decimated. If you are up against a valour vulcher then you target their strongest valour units. At some point they will realize that you are taking down more in valour than they are getting from attacking you and move on. Or they don't get it and just keep weakening themselves. Granted in whale territory this may mean some pretty high numbers of units such as Global Hawk Drones or Sea Scouts.

Problem then becomes unit density as others have mentioned and that is something I'm a bit torn over, high density vs lower value units that are specifically targeting incoming units. Because we can't actually see what our rivals are loosing when they attack us I can't say for sure that my targeting strategy is a good one but I do notice that since I have ramped up the number of drones in my army those hitting me up for valour have dropped off.

It's also important to consider what flag you are under when choosing units as your flag gives you a boost as do the boost buildings.

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry to get all nostalgic on you, AO, but I miss the days when you used to post like this all the time. I, for one, have missed you.

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry to get all nostalgic on you, AO, but I miss the days when you used to post like this all the time. I, for one, have missed you.

Awww thanks Jp lfs :o

Aidan
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Same here. All the forum legends like AO, JMC,Mav,Digital havent posted as much as they used to. Without these guys, i wont be anywhere near my stats now.

Bronson
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Same here. All the forum legends like AO, JMC,Mav,Digital havent posted as much as they used to. Without these guys, i wont be anywhere near my stats now.

True that! It's like a throwback to the old days here tonight and not a knucklehead in sight - amazing!!

Aidan
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
True that! It's like a throwback to the old days here tonight and not a knucklehead in sight - amazing!!

The forum does feel a bit nostalgic tonight. I like it! No stupid threads and no one line trolling post. CCM needs to ban people more often! Lmao

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
I have to admit, the stupid threads and polls were one of the main reasons I stopped posting. Didn't seem to make much sense taking the time to write something only to have it buried by a bunch of junk.

I hope we can keep it this way.....

Bronson
08-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I have to admit, the stupid threads and polls were one of the main reasons I stopped posting. Didn't seem to make much sense taking the time to write something only to have it buried by a bunch of junk.

I hope we can keep it this way.....

Same here! I have learned a couple of extra tips today, that wouldnt have been possible even a week ago.

Jp lfs
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
And there have been some well stated discussions that, while coming from different viewpoints, didn't turn into arguments.

Ps- Thanks AO and JMC for all of the advice back in march and april. I owe my stats to you two.

nwells22
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey guys i am level 42 and I want to expand with out buying money and gold how do i make money only make 500000 in one day