PDA

View Full Version : A possible new unit for MW

Mad
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
How about the X51 Waverider that is in the process of being developed by the US military. According to reports the US Air Force hopes it will test out at over 6000 kms an hour -- super sonic speed according to the article.

Though it is supposed to be an air unit, the name suggests it more correctly belongs as a sea unit on MW.....

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/14/u-s-aiming-to-hit-6000-kmh-in-test-flight-of-x-51-waverider/

Corsair
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
It's not supposed to be, it is. Waves propagate through any medium, not just water. And yeah that is one badazz plane.

SoccerStud
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
6 times the speed of light? Holy crap! That's very fast!

Mcdoc
08-15-2012, 04:02 AM
6 times the speed of light? Holy crap! That's very fast! I think you meant 6 times the speed of SOUND as in Mach 6 - not 6 times the speed of light as in Warp 6. I don't think we have achieved Warp Speed yet or the Vulcans would have already landed :)

Lordsloss
08-15-2012, 06:30 AM
I think you meant 6 times the speed of SOUND as in Mach 6 - not 6 times the speed of light as in Warp 6. I don't think we have achieved Warp Speed yet or the Vulcans would have already landed :)SGU would like a chat with you ;)

Speed ump
08-15-2012, 07:09 AM
mcdoc lets get our star trek trivia straight. warp one is indeed the speed of light, but thats where it changes. warp ten is infinite. the speed increases exponensionaly as the warp number increases. it is not 6 times the speed of light at warp 6. think about it, it would take the enterprise 2/3 of a year just to get to the nearest start to ours at that speed. yes i am a trekie, and yes i have won several national trivia contests wwhen i was a teenager. call me nerd if you will.lol

Bronson
08-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Speed Ump you nerd

albeezy
08-15-2012, 07:32 AM
A waverider wing is a special wing design to ride a shockwave of compressed air that builds up at the front of the wing when travelling at hypersonic speeds. Pretty sure that should not be a sea unit.

@ SpeedUmp. I prefer the historical nauture of Star Wars to Star Trek. We can agree to disagree though

EDIT: Two words: FLAN plane

sexkitteh
08-15-2012, 07:55 AM
It's not supposed to be, it is. Waves propagate through any medium, not just water. And yeah that is one badazz plane.

Did you read the last note of the article??

They said: screw the plane idea!!! \(*0*)/

Let's make one badass rocket!!! :cool:

crazy americans and their need to blow sh1t up...

Selfproclaimed
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Then why not the falcon htv2 . That's with speeds up to Mach 20 . There both the same concept , gliders.

ArthurWellsley
08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Is it a plane, or a ship?

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/travel/airshows/Russian/russia_ekranoplan.htm

Fifth Reich
08-15-2012, 10:40 AM

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/travel/airshows/Russian/russia_ekranoplan.htm550 Knots? Holy SHlT!!! That looks like something from a science fiction movie!

What?
08-15-2012, 12:17 PM
A hypersonic aircraft launched by the Air Force Tuesday spiraled out of control and was destroyed before it could reach its goal of speeding to 4,600 mph, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

The third test of the X-51A Waverider was launched Tuesday off the California coast from a B-52 modified bomber aircraft and was to fly for 300 seconds, reaching hypersonic speeds of Mach 6, but only flew for 16 seconds, according to the Air Force.

Officials said a problem with a tail fin caused the missile-like vehicle to fly out of control before the main engine could be ignited, leading researchers to destroy it early.

"A fault was identified with one of the cruiser control fins. Once the X-51 separated from the rocket booster, approximately 15 seconds later, the cruiser was not able to maintain control due to the faulty control fin and was lost," said a statement issued by the Air Force.

It's unclear what, if any, information was gleaned from the test. According to the statement, "Program officials will now begin the process of working through a rigorous evaluation to determine the exact cause of all factors at play."

The Air Force plans to go public with details of the failed test in a few weeks, after researchers are able to analyze the data from the flight.

"It is unfortunate that a problem with this subsystem caused a termination before we could light the Scramjet engine," said Charlie Brink, X-51A Program Manager for Air Force Research Laboratory. "All our data showed we had created the right conditions for engine ignition and we were very hopeful to meet our test objectives."

The Air Force had four X-51A Waveriders and has tested three. Officials said they do not yet know when or if the fourth Waverider will be tested.

albeezy
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
The third test of the X-51A Waverider was launched Tuesday off the California coast from a B-52 modified bomber aircraft and was to fly for 300 seconds, reaching hypersonic speeds of Mach 6, but only flew for 16 seconds, according to the Air Force.

Yeah, definitely a FLAN plane, they quit early just like FLAN

Mcdoc
08-15-2012, 01:45 PM
. . yes i am a trekie . . ."Number One - I command you to take a Number Two" - Beavis & Butthead's take on Star Trek :)

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/travel/airshows/Russian/russia_ekranoplan.htm

I suspect the problem will be in rough seas which might be a bit of a problem out in the open ocean.....

ucantwin1
08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Russians have been working on this type of weapon for years - Now that they are working with China/India -they may have the funding to develop AND Deploy quicker than us. BrahMos and so on..

Ryans67
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Since it failed miserably, it would be the perfect prize for the next tournament/contest.