PDA

View Full Version : Theory about new event "top" prize (i.e. naming the prize)

Illuminati
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Based on the numerous posts and threads I've seen, I think everyone would agree that with the new style events, there's absolutely no way to get into the top 25 or possibly even the top 250 without spending considerable amounts of gold.

What I've noticed however, is that during every event, those in the top 3 or so would continue spending gold to collect more secret documents (or whatever the event item is for the week) even though they're already 100-200 secret documents ahead of the person at #25. I just don't understand WHY anyone would do that considering that whether you're #1 or #25, you still end up with the same prize.

Maybe Gree(d) realized that the people who consistently end up in the top 25 might catch on as to how stupid it is to keep spending gold when you've already secured a top 25 standing. As such, they had the idea to add another "prize" to the events, one which allows the person at #1 to NAME the top prize. Brilliant! Now the people who are already spending tons of gold on obtaining a virtual item can spend even MORE gold to have the honor of naming the prize. Talk about an achievement that's money well spent!

Despite all the criticisms about the new event style and the abundance of recommendations and suggestions offered by the player base, the fact that Gree(d) came up this new event "prize" shows once again the direction they're taking with this game. That is, they're more focused on milking the heavy gold spenders for as much money as they can, all while ignoring the majority of players who are either free players or casual gold spenders.

Btw, I was attacked yesterday by a level 200 player with over 300k+ stats in attack and defense and couldn't help but laugh. I wonder how much "entertainment" there is in spending so much gold in a game that you become virtually untouchable.

Dipstik
08-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Well as you just pointed out, no one cares whether you play or quit :)

sexkitteh
08-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I think that's all you can do... is laugh at them and call them retards... and go beat on someone weaker :D

Dipstik
08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I think that's all you can do... is laugh at them and call them retards... and go beat on someone weaker :D

SHHH! You'll give away my strategy to the Indians!

Hacksaw Paul
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Gree like many other companies know that in general 80% of the income usually comes from around 20% of the customer base, nothing more basic than that for me, as for the heavy gold spenders IMO they do it because they can.😁

mxz
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
they do it because they can.Bingo. No reason to get excited.

sexkitteh
08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
They do it because they can.

Yes!

I'm sure most can...

But I'm willing to bet some poor fool with a gambling/gaming addiction has taken out a second mortgage on his house to compete with the best :D

Dipstik
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Could you imagine trying to explain dropping $20k on this game at a bankruptcy or divorce hearing?

Vile Lynn
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Heck! I'm happy someone can, because I wouldn't... I have spent a little tiny bit, but someone needs to make payroll for Gree, might as well that they get some super pixels out of it. I'm stoked with my pixels & they are nothing to brag about, heh.

If you have it, spend it!

Illuminati
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Gree like many other companies know that in general 80% of the income usually comes from around 20% of the customer base, nothing more basic than that for me, as for the heavy gold spenders IMO they do it because they can.��

I disagree, if you look at any successful business model, you want to cater to the majority of the consumer base if you want any sort of longetivity or long term goals. Take this game for example, let's say Gree continues its trend of catering to the heavy gold spenders. Sure they may make some money now, but at what cost? Free players and casual gold spenders are slowly but steadily being forced out of the game. What happens when the day comes that the heavy gold spenders quit or have no money funds due to their addiction? If someone were to ask you today whether you think they should start playing CC, what would you tell them? For me, I'd tell them don't bother unless you have loads of disposable income and/or are willing to spend some real money on the game.

On the flip side, let's say Gree actually listened to the player base and tried to make the game more appealing to the general masses? Free players and casual gold spenders alike might recommend the game to others, who in turn might become gold spenders themselves. As a business owner, would you rather have 50 people spending $1,000 each or 10,000 people spending $100 each?

Dipstik
08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
A lot of people make good money as consultants for giving advice like this... You shouldn't be giving it away for free. Where did you get your degree? Which companies have you advised before?

Oh wait... You're just some guy trying to tell a billion dollar company how to Conduct its business. All right then...

mxz
08-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Pump the brakes. Plenty of examples to prove that wrong. Lamborghini and Ferrari aren't widely successful by catering to the Kia crowd. Apple doesn't make it's iPhones price competitive against Nokia. And Rolex doesn't try to sell its watches to just anyone.

jahfive
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Based on the numerous posts and threads I've seen, I think everyone would agree that with the new style events, there's absolutely no way to get into the top 25 or possibly even the top 250 without spending considerable amounts of gold.

What I've noticed however, is that during every event, those in the top 3 or so would continue spending gold to collect more secret documents (or whatever the event item is for the week) even though they're already 100-200 secret documents ahead of the person at #25. I just don't understand WHY anyone would do that considering that whether you're #1 or #25, you still end up with the same prize.

Maybe Gree(d) realized that the people who consistently end up in the top 25 might catch on as to how stupid it is to keep spending gold when you've already secured a top 25 standing. As such, they had the idea to add another "prize" to the events, one which allows the person at #1 to NAME the top prize. Brilliant! Now the people who are already spending tons of gold on obtaining a virtual item can spend even MORE gold to have the honor of naming the prize. Talk about an achievement that's money well spent!

Despite all the criticisms about the new event style and the abundance of recommendations and suggestions offered by the player base, the fact that Gree(d) came up this new event "prize" shows once again the direction they're taking with this game. That is, they're more focused on milking the heavy gold spenders for as much money as they can, all while ignoring the majority of players who are either free players or casual gold spenders.

Btw, I was attacked yesterday by a level 200 player with over 300k+ stats in attack and defense and couldn't help but laugh. I wonder how much "entertainment" there is in spending so much gold in a game that you become virtually untouchable.

dont worry u have a life and no mental problems you should be happy. we all know 1st place has issues.

Illuminati
08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
A lot of people make good money as consultants for giving advice like this... You shouldn't be giving it away for free. Where did you get your degree? Which companies have you advised before?

Oh wait... You're just some guy trying to tell a billion dollar company how to Conduct its business. All right then...

No I'm not a consultant but I am an attorney at a large firm in NYC so I think I have a pretty good idea of how to interact with clients and prospective clients to bring in more business. It's people like you who are so quick to defend Gree that allows Gree to keep doing what it's doing. If you're happy with the way the game is and the direction it's heading in, then more power to you.

Pump the brakes. Plenty of examples to prove that wrong. Lamborghini and Ferrari aren't widely successful by catering to the Kia crowd. Apple doesn't make it's iPhones price competitive against Nokia. And Rolex doesn't try to sell its watches to just anyone.

Companies like Lamboghini and Ferrari by the very nature of its product cater to the elite/rich minority of society. They're considered a status symbol that the general population can strive to obtain regardless of whether such a product is obtainable. In contrast, we're talking about a mobile game here. Like I said, once the current batch of heavy gold spenders disappear, then what? Do achievements in Crime City offer such a status symbol that new players would be drawn to play the game? I doubt it.

At the end of the day, I'd like for Gree to do a better job of making the game more enjoyable for the free player/casual gold spender. I don't understand why anyone would be against that, unless you're a heavy gold spender that's looking for some justification for spending as much real money as you do on a mobile game.

mxz
08-14-2012, 12:45 PM
It's not that I'm against it - I'm just ok not spending money to be at the top of a mobile game. Who cares if others find satisfaction in that? Gree can do what they want. You don't have to spend money. You don't have to play. But if they're providing enjoyment then I can't see the point in complaining. It's hasn't visibly helped, so far on here.

Dipstik
08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
You could probably use your obvious market analysis advantage to make a more successful game if you want. The barrier to entry is almost nonexistent.

Oh wait...

sexkitteh
08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I am an attorney at a large firm in NYC

Nice to meet you lawyer.... I am god.