PDA

View Full Version : Base Defense Building Layout

Ascent
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Since I am bored out of my mind waiting for the triple digit upgrades to complete, I was thinking about the best ways to lay out the defense buildings... not that I think they help much, but I have to entertain myself with something...

So, we know that some defense buildings have extremely short range (Detention facility), some have rather wide range (Railgun).

The idea is to figure out the layout which:

1.) allows each defense building to cover as many buildings as possible
while at the same time
2.) creates the maximum area and maximum defense value pockets where the defensive areas overlap to protect the vital buildings (boost buildings, or 48 hour cash monsters)

Does anyone already have bases like these or thought about how such optimization might look like?

Everson25
08-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I thought once about changing all lay out on my base but then I would have to spend on a lot of expansion in order to have the appropriate space. At the I ended up giving up about the idea as I stopped buying defence buildings and concentrated on upgrading as much as I could in order to improve my IPH. I might go back once I think my stats are better.

Zoltarov
08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Since the beginning of my game i have always been busy with moving my defense buildings to get maximized protection.Also i like to hide them or make the level unreadable. I have 5 EMP but they are all hidden. I am not sure if this defense tactic is really working, but it is fun to be busy with it.

War Priest
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one who collects my buildings as soon as they produce cash? :rolleyes:

Seems like it. I have every money building timed out so I know when they produce on what days, and what time of the day.

Hassleham
08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Surely the best way would be to have the minefields spaced out evenly to get maximum coverage.
Like this?!
|___o______o___|
|______________|
|_______o______|
|______________|
Then maybe put the short range ones where the X is and put your most important buildings around them.
Cba thinking about adding in the other buildings haha.

You could go to all this trouble, or just collect your buildings on time :)

Edit, ok my diagram failed..
Edit 2: now i fixed it i think.

Thief
08-13-2012, 12:48 PM
@WP yep you must be the only one haha. No i try to do the same but since i travel alot i don't have the luxury of always being around to collect.

I have tried to play with the idea but i need to do some more expansions and seeing as all of my def buildings are level 1 and will probably stay that way for awhile i'm content focusing on just growing and hopefully coming up with a great strategy later :P

Ace

Zoltarov
08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Am I the only one who collects my buildings as soon as they produce cash? :rolleyes:Seems like it. I have every money building timed out so I know when they produce on what days, and what time of the day.

I am still buiding IPH so the collections go out of sync all the time.The defense will protect me from raiding is my believe. Also this out of sync is somehow ruining my sleep. Sometimes I sleep less than 4 hours to collect my money buildings. Lol. When my IPH is up i will collect all at once is the idea.

Arizona
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Surely the best way would be to have the minefields spaced out evenly to get maximum coverage.
Like this?!
|___o______o___|
|______________|
|_______o______|
|______________|
Then maybe put the short range ones where the X is and put your most important buildings around them.
Cba thinking about adding in the other buildings haha.

You could go to all this trouble, or just collect your buildings on time :)

Edit, ok my diagram failed..
Edit 2: now i fixed it i think.

I think the best strategy is always to put an X in the middle square ROFL!;)

El Cid
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Am I the only one who collects my buildings as soon as they produce cash? :rolleyes:

Seems like it. I have every money building timed out so I know when they produce on what days, and what time of the day.

I am like you War Priest, I have a reminder in outlook that pops up every three hours.
How to get really addicted hahaha!!

Dreno33
08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
do defense buildings "bounce" off each other?

Bronson
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
do defense buildings "bounce" off each other?

They over lap

Lordsloss
08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I have all five of my rail guns covering my composite building and each other. They are very hard to take down now since doing that. That's the gist of my layout. I have them spaced out according to looks, not coverage. I like too keep my base aesthetically pleasing lol

Q Raider
08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Having a range of different Defence buildings covering your prime targets seems to offer a good deterrent.

Doesn't stop attacks but sure puts a dent in repeats when the attacker drops some decent units on the initial hit.

For example the minefield might offer greater attrition of ground and infantry units, Railguns Sea and Air, that sort of thing.

Copenhagen
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I completely agree with Q Raider. Why wouldn't you take advantage of every possible method to strategically and statistically defend your base? I have every square inch of my base covered by a defensive building, with prime targets heavily defended. Actually have been considering upgrading some defense buildings.

Crazy Canuck
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I have my defense building spreadout nicely on my base for max coverage but like WP said I collect all my big money cash buildings on time so they really don't do me much good I think I'm going ymto look on a re-line of my base to place my defense build more around just my boost building.

Dreno33
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
They over lap

what exactly does that do? just increase each others defense?

JMC
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
what exactly does that do? just increase each others defense?

If a rail gun gives 75 defense per railgun and there are 5 railguns in an arrangement that allows for a certain area to overlap all 5 defense building radiuses, the building placed in that area will receive the 375 defense boost.

James_mac
08-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I have a row of money buildings then a row of defense, money, defense, money, defense and money, with my unit and boost all around the edges. Every building is covered by at least one defense building

el_gringo
08-13-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a defensive system which covers mainly my most valuable money and boost buildings according to value to the attacker.

the three main areas are:

Nano (lv1)/Oil rig (2x lv2) Covered by a strip of 2 adjoining minefields (lv 1) with a sam (2xlv2) at eache end.

A 'middle area' with lots of ore mines, gas plants and boost buildings covered by an array of turrets, bunkers, guardtowers and sams at levels 2 and 3

and 2 munitions stockpiles (8&9), Desal plants (2xlv4) and command center (6) covered by 3 x lv 2 turrets and a lv 1 sam.

seems to do the job fine for me at lvl 60, I can leave the game a couple a days without being raided. Most of my lower paying buildings are left unguarded, as frankly no one who could successfully raid me would do it for the paltry sum on offer. I reckon it also offers a visual warning to the raiding or attacking player as well (as do gold bought buildings) that give the impression you mean business and might take revenge!

Ferr
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
There is a best lay out for every base. There is no such thing as "this works for me". Ascent is completely right in this matter. It takes some math to create the optimum base defense depending on what buildings you have and their levels. The reason why no one has ever bothered to calculate this is because it it tiresome, it is in constant flux as your base and levels constantly changes, not much manouvre space and last but not least it does not have a tremendous effect if you do it wrong.

Crazy Canuck
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
If a rail gun gives 75 defense per railgun and there are 5 railguns in an arrangement that allows for a certain area to overlap all 5 defense building radiuses, the building placed in that area will receive the 375 defense boost. I now have all 5 of my boost building covered by 5 rail guns (once finished building them) and 3 mine fields for an added 471 defense boost.

War Priest
08-14-2012, 08:04 AM
In a week when my last row of expansions are done, I plan to surround my composite with 4 or 5 EMP's. :D

Crazy Canuck
08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
In a week when my last row of expansions are done, I plan to surround my composite with 4 or 5 EMP's. :D just find a way to get the 5 EMPs and 5 rail guns around it then you have 1000 defense boost 

Zoltarov
08-14-2012, 08:19 AM
just find a way to get the 5 EMPs and 5 rail guns around it then you have 1000 defense boost 1000 minimum plus your defense boost.

Archer59
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
I've read number of posts over the past few months that have suggested defense buildings were a waste. Personally I think they must be somewhat effective as I rarely lose when attacked or raided. I've maxed out on most of the d buildings at my level and arranged them to overlap key buildings; at least three to a building and in spots four. Plan on continuing this way as I move up.

Effective...I guess I'll see when I get to the higher levels....in a year or two. Lol

Jp lfs
08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Ascent, if you want to see what I have done with defensive coverage, hit me with an ally request or just find me on your rivals list ( you're always popping up on mine!) I based my layout on some advice I got from Agent Orange when I first started playing, so I feel like I have done a pretty great job with overlapping halos, especially on my CF. I'll give you the heads up that at least 2 EMP's and/ or Railguns are hidden. As a rival you may see the red bar for them.

Bronson
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
JayPeezy I like your layout and when I feel the need to expand my base I will be taking tips from you. I'm still wondering about the "hide/not to hide" approach.

Also any luck getting your guide off the ground??

John Snow
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Having a range of different Defence buildings covering your prime targets seems to offer a good deterrent.

Doesn't stop attacks but sure puts a dent in repeats when the attacker drops some decent units on the initial hit.

For example the minefield might offer greater attrition of ground and infantry units, Railguns Sea and Air, that sort of thing.

It sounds like you're suggesting that the different defense buildings have bonuses against different units. Is this true? I hadn't seen that before.

Ascent
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Ascent, if you want to see what I have done with defensive coverage, hit me with an ally request or just find me on your rivals list

Jp,

I just dropped a couple hundred allies, diving down below looking to make contact with my LLP. Therefore, I wont be able to find you on the enemy list right now, so send me an invite or PM your ID pls, my # is under my avatar.
<------ here
I am so excited, once I find my LLP I will be milking him for cash "always hitting him just the right time" when his coffers are overflowing with money :D He will add about 600,000 IPH to mine.... Muhahaha :D

Jp lfs
08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Ok. I'll send you a request. And your LLP idea is genius. I'm eventually gonna do the same with mine.

ucantwin1
08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
just find a way to get the 5 EMPs and 5 rail guns around it then you have 1000 defense boost 

Exactly!

That is what I have - my 5 Railguns and 5 EMPS are in the center of the cluster of my boost buildings. I have my money buildings on the edge of that cluster to benefit from the overlapping radii or "radiuses". On the outside of this I have the Minefields and various low level D buildings. One EMP is level 3 and I'm trying to upgrade it when I can -(these things take FOREVER).

Ascent
08-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Here is my Dynamic Base Defense layout

(still under construction, so I photoshopped it a bit to show what it will look like at the end)

http://www.photosensual.org/mw/DynamicDefense.jpg

http://www.photosensual.org/mw/DynamicDefense.jpg

Ascent
08-23-2012, 06:39 AM
The original idea came from Wdigeorge in this thread:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?38577-Defense-Strategy-Tip-quot-Dynamic-Defense-quot

I used Minefields and Railguns as the core since they are the only money defense buildings capable of reaching the Oil Rigs. They are concentrated in one pack so that their defensive coverage areas overlap. In the center, where all ten defensive buildings overlap, I will dynamically place those buildings which I will not be able to collect in time, due to sleep or being away. This area is quite large, so at least 4-6 buildings can be protected by all 10 defenses.

On the periphery, most buildings will still get the benefit from around 6 of the 10 defenses... so even if I am away for a longer time period, they will get protection though not from the epicenter.

Later, when I expand my base a bit to gain more free space I will create another dynamic defense are using the shorter range defense buildings.

NSC
08-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Why is it important to cover boost buildings?

Sorry new to the game =/

Bronson
08-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Why is it important to cover boost buildings?

Sorry new to the game =/

Because they can be raided and when they are you lose the boost that building was giving you.

NSC
08-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Because they can be raided and when they are you lose the boost that building was giving you.

Alright thanks (:

Mad
08-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I've read number of posts over the past few months that have suggested defense buildings were a waste. Personally I think they must be somewhat effective as I rarely lose when attacked or raided. I've maxed out on most of the d buildings at my level and arranged them to overlap key buildings; at least three to a building and in spots four. Plan on continuing this way as I move up.

Effective...I guess I'll see when I get to the higher levels....in a year or two. Lol

Have you been upgrading your Defensive buildings and if so could you tell me what the Defensive stat/level is for any of the defensive buildings you have upgraded.

FromAfar
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Bronson,

Where do you get your information? i don't know if you are correct, or not, but trying to determine your source, and accuracy. i have not noticed this, but then again, i have not been hit in such a way to knowingly feel the effect.

please advise your source. thanks!

Ascent
08-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Bronson,

Where do you get your information? i don't know if you are correct, or not, but trying to determine your source, and accuracy. i have not noticed this, but then again, i have not been hit in such a way to knowingly feel the effect.

please advise your source. thanks!

You can see the effect on your stats. I got my Composites raided and did lose 10%+ of my defense score accoring to the stats (it was not a fully upgraded Composites)