PDA

View Full Version : Best Defense Building to Have

joaquim
07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
As the title says what's the best defense building to have? I have at least 1 of each defense building that you buy with money at my level(38). So which defense buildings are the ones to buy and which ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Hassleham
07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
They're all crap.

JMC
07-20-2012, 01:45 PM
They're all crap.

^

[][][][][]

bigflan
07-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Get a composite thats the best defense building

enahs1
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Joaquim, add me. I want to see how you are coming along. I have never bought defensive buildings in modern war

magepker
07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
They're all crap.

no they arent, the composite is a good one. unless you call it a boost building.... if you do then yea, all the defense buildings are crap >_<

War Priest
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
All the defense buildings suck. But basically, just trade them out as you unlock more. Trade the bulky low defense ones in for small higher defense ones.

commandNconquer
07-20-2012, 01:50 PM
the only way defense building can be somehow usefull is if you are running low allies (1-15) and that they are upgraded otherwise they are useless

joaquim
07-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Joaquim, add me. I want to see how you are coming along. I have never bought defensive buildings in modern war

What's your code?

joaquim
07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Ok so I guess I'll sell all my defense buildings and save up for a composites factory with tapjoy.

Thanks guys!

JMC
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Get a composite thats the best defense building

Well there's a section called "Defense Buildings" and there's a section called "Boost Buildings"

Last i checked, the composites is in the boost building section.

enahs1
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
121 842 274

Arizona
07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think all defensive buildings suck.
I think the Rail guns are excellent value for money. They use a tiny footprint; cost me a bit over 5,000,000 each and provide 75 points to defence and they're practically indestructible and upgradeable. Also if someone wants to hit your base, they might have to waste stamina taking down all your rail guns. They can act as a deterrent.
Not sure about all the other def buildings as some take up a lot of real estate, but if you can afford, I wouldn't dismiss them so easily.

JMC
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Well yeah, some of them are decent defense score for the money they cost. If you need the space in your base though, they arent worth it.

Ascent
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Best defense building is the detention facility. Costs about a million, takes 9 hours to build it is a great way to "vault" half a mill overnight while you sleep. my second favourite is the railgun... when you have to put aside money just briefly, never intending to actually build the gun, because you will sell it for an upcoming upgrade.

:D

Ryan5100
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I use the railgun that's it though

Arizona
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Best defense building is the detention facility. Costs about a million, takes 9 hours to build it is a great way to "vault" half a mill overnight while you sleep. my second favourite is the railgun... when you have to put aside money just briefly, never intending to actually build the gun, because you will sell it for an upcoming upgrade.:D
I'm thinking of upgrading RG's to the max. I'm guessing a few hundred and more to the defence score. Anyone know what the true numbers and return are?

JMC
07-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading RG's to the max. I'm guessing a few hundred and more to the defence score. Anyone know what the true numbers and return are?

For money buildings the level 10 version gives 30x more than the level 1 version. Pretty sure the defence buildings follow a different progression, but you can expect something similar to that.

CAPT.GIN
07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
There all garbage!!! Waste of money and space...

joaquim
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
121 842 274

Request sent.

Ashmw
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
The RGs r my fav coz of the range it covers n the small area they require. I can hide it behind my nanos or my infirmary.

Arizona
07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
For money buildings the level 10 version gives 30x more than the level 1 version. Pretty sure the defence buildings follow a different progression, but you can expect something similar to that.

I think Level 2 Rail Gun is 10m and defence 113

manbeast
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I think Level 2 Rail Gun is 10m and defence 113

if it followed the same progression as money buildings a lvl 2 rail gun should be 150.

i can tell you this- lvl 5 defense building is 3 times the power of a lvl 1. its impossible to justify the money and upgrade time though.

Warfiend
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM

If they're like all the other defense buildings I've tracked, it's basically 50 percent boost each upgrade. With large number scores, the first upgrade will often be a bit under 50 percent or a bit over and the next upgrade making up the difference. So level 10 will probably something like 5.5 times as powerful as level 1, if the pattern I've seen holds. I have not taken any defense building past 5 though.

I like my defense buildings. At level 51, I've not yet been successfully attacked or raided. Not a *single* time. I know it's a matter of time before it does happen, but it hasn't yet. I credit my many defense buildings as playing a role in that. I was building a max of all of them, but since a leveling spree while building economy, I have neglected expansion and new buildings for a while. I will be building the max of all of them at some point. But strong units and a better economy to buy the strong units are a higher priority for me.

Jhoemel
07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I like the mine fields, great range and defense

JackRakan93
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
I find that all the defense buildings holding center and above are very useful... but not for the purpose of defending. Since i have more land than I need for income/unit/boost buildings, I fill everything else up with defense buildings and use them as an expansion of my vault. Similar to how people buy and sell trees and/or nuclear power plants, I use defense buildings to get an expensive upgrade safely.

Arizona
07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
if it followed the same progression as money buildings a lvl 2 rail gun should be 150.

i can tell you this- lvl 5 defense building is 3 times the power of a lvl 1. its impossible to justify the money and upgrade time though.
Before I began an upgrade to my cement factory I checked the upgrade for the Rail Gun to L2. I'm pretty sure it was 113 which might correspond with what you said about L5 being 3 x L1
L1 75
L2 75 x 1.5...112.5
L3 75 x 2.0...150
L4 75 x 2.5...187.5
L5 75 x 3.0...225

Guessing L5 might be in the region of 50ish m. Or 250m for 5. That's an awful lot of money for 1125 def points although these will be indestructible.

Mario Mario
07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Well the defense buildings also act as a deterrent to stop people raiding your good money buildings. Who wants to raid one building when there are 8 more protecting it?

Jp lfs
07-21-2012, 09:15 PM
There all garbage!!! Waste of money and space...

This may be the single most incorrect and useless post I have seen yet. And I mean EVER.

At higher levels, they protect very well from raiders. They can be hidden easily behind other buildings or placed out front as a DO NO ENTER sign.

Most players have trouble getting good coverage on their Oil Rigs, but there are solutions to that dilemma. Most importantly, at some point you are going to want to defend your boost buildings from being easily taken down. I will freely state that the bunker is my least favorite building in the game. Too big, too small of coverage, too weak. But put 5 Railguns around your Level 10 Comp Factory and you won't see much red on your newsfeed.

Plus there are challenges to build a certain number of buildings that you can not complete with money buildings alone. So that is another simple way for them to be USEFUL, not USELESS.

You can also sell them in a pinch for some quick cash or space.

So, although I admit that there are some flaws or downsides to certain specific defensive buildings, to say that they are all garbage is a completely ridiculous statement from someone without enough experience in the game to be dishing out advice.

Dreno33
07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
well, one of the biggest benefits besides less attacks while camping and increasing IPH is that you can increase your base much further than the you need for the def and income buildings. I will have 5 of every CASH def building. Why not? i'll have the room. if room is no issue, it would be dumb not to have more def buildings to fill that space up. (yes, even the guard towers)

Jp lfs
07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
well, one of the biggest benefits besides less attacks while camping and increasing IPH is that you can increase your base much further than the you need for the def and income buildings. I will have 5 of every CASH def building. Why not? i'll have the room. if room is no issue, it would be dumb not to have more def buildings to fill that space up. (yes, even the guard towers)

I still have all 5 guard towers. Even upgraded some of them. I doubt their presence acts as much of a deterrent, but I find it humorous to defend my 48 hour cycle buildings with them And you would be surprised at how often someone accidentally attacks one when they are gunning for a money building,

Plus the extra red lines add confusion.

Plus you can use them to hide the numbers on your other buildings.

Have I adequately demonstrated the sheer idiocy of the previous poster yet? (Not Dreno) Because I can come up with more reasons...

:)

Corsair
07-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I like the minefields, SAMs, and turrets because they're small. I still have my towers too, but sold my one bunker - agree with JP, that one sucks. The minefields are nice for their range. Just realized I can finally buy railguns, may add those if I can squeeze them in, may sell towers to do so. The thing is, once you have all the other buildings, you're not wasting time building them, and if your economy is decent it's worth it to build. Plus, as many mentioned, they make a good bank. Just sold all my minefields to help get my second nano.

What?
07-21-2012, 10:08 PM
The only thing a defense building is good for is selling it if you need quick cash. I've sold a few rail guns. The only building I can construct now are gold buildings because I built everything else. So if I'm a little short on cash and over my vault and need a few million for the next upgrade then sometimes it is better to sell a defense building.

Copenhagen
07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree with JP, and would add that they are also applied to your defence stats. Mine add roughly 1,000 to my raw Defense.

Jp lfs
07-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree with JP, and would add that they are also applied to your defence stats. Mine add roughly 1,000 to my raw Defense.

That was the next bullet I planned to fire.

Nice shot.

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 07:01 AM
I find endless amusement when someone who spams the forum with nonsense doesn't respond to an actual game-related argument to one of their statements.

Not the first time this has happened. Maybe I should have thrown a joke or riddle into my replies to get more attention. Or maybe he just got too stoned to return to the thread.

Either way, I am still LMAO.

Dreno33
07-22-2012, 07:10 AM
I still have all 5 guard towers. Even upgraded some of them. I doubt their presence acts as much of a deterrent, but I find it humorous to defend my 48 hour cycle building with them And you would be surprised at how often someone accidentally attacks one when they are gunning for a money building,

Plus the extra red lines add confusion.

Plus you can use them to hide the numbers on your other buildings.

Have I adequately demonstrated the sheer idiocy of the previous poster yet? (Not Dreno) Because I can come up with more reasons...

:)

this one post was like 5 reasons, 5 GOOD reasons. haha

Watash
07-22-2012, 07:19 AM
When I attack I completely ignore defense buildings. I only look at Stats, if those defense buildings are reflected in the stats then I suppose that would affect my decision to attack or not. As far as selecting an individual building to attack I ignore the placement or proximity of defense buildings. I have never noticed any increase in my unit losses with respect to the relative proximity and strength of defense buildings.

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 08:44 AM
When I attack I completely ignore defense buildings. I only look at Stats, if those defense buildings are reflected in the stats then I suppose that would affect my decision to attack or not. As far as selecting an individual building to attack I ignore the placement or proximity of defense buildings. I have never noticed any increase in my unit losses with respect to the relative proximity and strength of defense buildings.

The truth is that so many factors come into play with regard to casualties, it makes it difficult to compile adequate evidence one way or the other. I am a pretty active raider, and I have noticed a small increase in casualties while raiding buildings with strong coverage. These are also usually opponents with higher stats as well.

In general, a stronger player = a smarter player = a stronger economy = on time collections = I move on to a softer target.

So I am not really arguing your point, exactly. I would be interested if Q Raider or JohnnyR had an opinion concerning casualties and defensive building placement, because I know those two raid even more than I do.

Edit: A further thought on this topic... My first target is always the Oil Rigs. Not only do they pay out well, but it is harder to cover them defensively. So even a high stat opponent gives me low/no casualties if their Rig's have no coverage.

CAPT.GIN
07-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I find endless amusement when someone who spams the forum with nonsense doesn't respond to an actual game-related argument to one of their statements.

Not the first time this has happened. Maybe I should have thrown a joke or riddle into my replies to get more attention. Or maybe he just got too stoned to return to the thread.

Either way, I am still LMAO.

This is why Your fake and a hater... If your gonna talk about me atleast say my name you coward... Defense buildings all suck when you have a composites factory like me! This is why nobody likes you cus your noting but a trash talker... Don't talk about me no more you bum, and your bootleg Walmart smiley face matchs your fake personality perfect!!!

Scabbyfeet
07-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I like JP and the smiley face isn't that bad . :)

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 09:17 AM
This is why Your fake and a hater... If your gonna talk about me atleast say my name you coward... Defense buildings all suck when you have a composites factory like me! This is why nobody likes you cus your noting but a trash talker... Don't talk about me no more you bum, and your bootleg Walmart smiley face matchs your fake personality perfect!!!

Spelling and composition edits-

"This is why you're a fake and a hater... If you're gonna talk about me, at least say my name, you coward... Defense buildings all suck when you have a Composites Factory, like me! This is why nobody likes you, because you are nothing but a trash talker... Don't talk about me anymore, you bum, and your bootleg Wal*Mart smiley face matches your fake personality perfectly!!!

My response: CAPT.GIN, I disagree with your opinion on the uselessness of Defensive Buildings. I have tried to list a few reasons for my disagreement, and also tried to list a few uses for them that you may not have considered when claiming that they are all garbage. I will honor your request, and in the future refrain from discussing you in the forums. Have a Nice Day! And as far as your long term strategy for playing the game with no defensive buildings, I wish you a very heartfelt "Good Luck with that!"

Hello Kitty
07-22-2012, 09:21 AM
[...]

My response: CAPT.GIN, I disagree with your opinion on the uselessness of Defensive Buildings. I have tried to list a few reasons for my disagreement, and also tried to list a few uses for them that you may not have considered when claiming that they are all garbage. I will honor your request, and in the future refrain from discussing you in the forums. Have a Nice Day! And as far as your long term strategy for playing the game with no defensive buildings, I wish you a very heartfelt "Good Luck with that!"Nice job Jp for stepping up. Bless his heart!

Dirty Doug
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Great points on the defensive buildings Jp. They are my thoughts exactly and why I have most of them. I have seen arguments that they don't help in the upper levels cause the gold army's are too strong, but not everyone that attacks you is super strong. The way I see it, every point that goes to my defense is a point that help me defend. Why wouldn't you buy them? Everyone here buys units for defense, these buildings do the same job. My defensive buildings help me defend from attack just as much as any one unit I own.

Now, when some of these land expansions are costing 12 mil and up, buying the land just to put that extra defense may not be the highest priority, but they still help.

overkill 280
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Popcorn anybody :p lol

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Popcorn anybody :p lol

Lmao! Well played, sir!

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Great points on the defensive buildings Jp. They are my thoughts exactly and why I have most of them. I have seen arguments that they don't help in the upper levels cause the gold army's are too strong, but not everyone that attacks you is super strong. The way I see it, every point that goes to my defense is a point that help me defend. Why wouldn't you buy them? Everyone here buys units for defense, these buildings do the same job. My defensive buildings help me defend from attack just as much as any one unit I own.

Now, when some of these land expansions are costing 12 mil and up, buying the land just to put that extra defense may not be the highest priority, but they still help.

Thanks Doug, and I agree on both points. I don't expect my defenses to slow down George or Stephen, but the thousands of other players around me are a threat to consider as well. Not a bigger threat, but a more constant one.

And risking an over-vault land expansion at 20+ Mill, just to put in another bunker or turret doesn't make much sense to me at this point either. I wouldn't consider my base finished at this point, but I don't really need too much more room as it is. If I sold off the 6 Mill in trees I have laying around, I could easily fit a couple extra buildings into my current space.

Arizona
07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I like the Popcorn remark...LOL:D

Did I read somewhere that we can only have 5 of each defensive building?
Can they be levelled up to L10 or is it L5?

Tanner
07-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Best defense building is the detention facility. Costs about a million, takes 9 hours to build it is a great way to "vault" half a mill overnight while you sleep. my second favourite is the railgun... when you have to put aside money just briefly, never intending to actually build the gun, because you will sell it for an upcoming upgrade.

:D

this!

ast 10 characters.

mickymacirl
07-22-2012, 11:29 AM
of course def buildings are useful, i use emp and drone flights and they give a good boost at higher levels!

Watash
07-22-2012, 12:06 PM
The truth is that so many factors come into play with regard to casualties, it makes it difficult to compile adequate evidence one way or the other. I am a pretty active raider, and I have noticed a small increase in casualties while raiding buildings with strong coverage. These are also usually opponents with higher stats as well.

In general, a stronger player = a smarter player = a stronger economy = on time collections = I move on to a softer target.

So I am not really arguing your point, exactly. I would be interested if Q Raider or JohnnyR had an opinion concerning casualties and defensive building placement, because I know those two raid even more than I do.

Edit: A further thought on this topic... My first target is always the Oil Rigs. Not only do they pay out well, but it is harder to cover them defensively. So even a high stat opponent gives me low/no casualties if their Rig's have no coverage.

Yes, well thought out and cogent response. The variables are many and difficult to understand. I also attack the oil rigs first as well, easy to find and always pay off handsomely.

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 06:15 PM
I like JP and the smiley face isn't that bad . :)

I completely forgot to say thanks for this comment. I like you too, Senior Scabby!

SeqWins
07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
JP- I agree with all your points on the argument...

Gin- It's not cool to finish an argument with insults man specially when JP's replies were smart and had facts to back up his data. BTW I like JP he's been honest with me from day 1, so there's one person that likes him. I like you too but this argument has been won by JP bar none. As a matter of fact there wasn't really one, you refused to engage in a strategy related argument.

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Seq. I won't PM this, so the world can see- you and I have bumped heads occasionally, usually by accident or misunderstanding, but I really appreciate this. Much respect, man.

CAPT.GIN
07-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok look guys was I wrong for bashing Jp? Yes I was ok and Jp I won't act like a little kid, I'm sorry man. But a lot of other people also said defense buildings are garbage but you picked me out of the rest of them to pick on and you can't say you dident... Ever sense we had our fight on the dark side you always took little shots at me here and there and I ignored them until today. I just wanted to forget about it and move on but you won't, that's why I got mad at you earlier... But if you wanna call it truths and move on I will...

Jp lfs
07-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok look guys was I wrong for bashing Jp? Yes I was ok and Jp I won't act like a little kid, I'm sorry man. But a lot of other people also said defense buildings are garbage but you picked me out of the rest of them to pick on and you can't say you dident... Ever sense we had our fight on the dark side you always took little shots at me here and there and I ignored them until today. I just wanted to forget about it and move on but you won't, that's why I got mad at you earlier... But if you wanna call it truths and move on I will...

Are you meaning "Call a truce?"

CAPT.GIN
07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Yea I am : ) so what do you say, call it truces?

Lordsloss
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a lower account on my iPhone which I am camping and I am upgrading everything to level ten before I head out into the waters. With some of my guard towers upgraded to higher levels, I fend off attacks with no problem. I do notice that my higher account could care less about the defensive buildings.

Lt. Falcon
07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I started the game out attacking, earning money that way. However, around lvl 50 or so I began to realize that raiding seemed more profitable with less casualties so I have changed my strategy to raiding unless I see they have considerable amounts of cash on hand and to test the vault. My raid record is 4474 wins and 12 losses. Now, to the subject of the thread, I generally stay away from buildings that have lvl2 SAMs or greater unless the person is extremely weak i.e. his attack is less than 15% of my defense. I have raided buildings with lvl 2 SAMs and higher, but I have suffered many casualties in doing so. To say they are useless is a matter of opinion, but my opinion is I'm gonna use a railgun, lvl 2 SAM and a fortified bunker to gaurd my oil rigs and laugh at the person who tries to raid them as I know they will suffer casaulties unless they are glitched. I'm gonna use a railgun and lvl 2 SAM to gaurd my composites factory and nanos as well and see how well that works out for me......so far so good, they haven't been touched!!

ucantwin1
07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Best Defensive building - hands down -Level 10 Guard tower...........

davecity
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Just curious, does anyone know if the defense buildings help protect your soldier while you are in the defense range of that particular building?

Thanks in advance.

joaquim
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Just curious, does anyone know if the defense buildings help protect your soldier while you are in the defense range of that particular building?

Thanks in advance.

Only buildings.