PDA

View Full Version : Abyss Box Event

Crime City Mark
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
For the next 5 days the race to collect Abyss Boxes is on! Collect Abyss Boxes and open them for a chance to receive Helms of Darkness.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/GMOgreKing/KingdomAge/AbyssBox-Dialog22x.jpg

At 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 Helms you will receive a powerful and indestructible unit! The 250 players with the most Helms will receive the Magistrate of Thanatos, and the top 50 will receive the Broodling of Thanatos, granting 30% more honor from fights!

The player with the absolute most Helms will receive Thanatos, Abyssal Champion, giving them access to its incredible stats and gaining them 40% more honor from fights!

To arms! For glory!

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/GMOgreKing/KingdomAge/AbyssBox-Popup.jpg

Please let us know if you have any questions.

spectra
07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Mark

why is the open rate with the "fair" option lower than before?
too many players complaint of getting 8, 10 and even more "sorry" in a row using that option

DIrishB
07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I've been critical of the gold option being mislabeled as a medium/fair chance in previous events. However, so far with this event my open rate with the gold option is like 80% (12 open attempts, 5 Helms, couple Honor prizes). Must just be getting lucky, but I hope it holds out so I can qualify for the second (10) or maybe even third (15) unit since this event is an extra day or two than the previous ones.

On the other hand, it's been said the drop rate of the boxes has increased, but I've had the opposite. Normally I get a box every 4th or 5th monster killed, I went through about 2 or 3 dozen monsters with no boxes dropped (and the event was active and I restarted my device several times), then sent a ticket to support. Within minutes I tried again and got 3 boxes off 5 monsters, and most have been opening for the Helm since. Might've been a glitch or something, not sure.

But it is true, Funzio support is on the ball.

spectra
07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I've been critical of the gold option being mislabeled as a medium/fair chance in previous events. However, so far with this event my open rate with the gold option is like 80% (12 open attempts, 5 Helms, couple Honor prizes). Must just be getting lucky, but I hope it holds out so I can qualify for the second (10) or maybe even third (15) unit since this event is an extra day or two than the previous ones.

On the other hand, it's been said the drop rate of the boxes has increased, but I've had the opposite. Normally I get a box every 4th or 5th monster killed, I went through about 2 or 3 dozen monsters with no boxes dropped (and the event was active and I restarted my device several times), then sent a ticket to support. Within minutes I tried again and got 3 boxes off 5 monsters, and most have been opening for the Helm since. Might've been a glitch or something, not sure.

But it is true, Funzio support is on the ball.

I am glad for you regarding the boxes, I on the other hand, have no issued with the box drop
last event I ended with over 300 boxes :(, what is the point if you cannot open them
I guess is just to try to make players use GEMs to open them

Crime City Mark
07-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi Mark

why is the open rate with the "fair" option lower than before?
too many players complaint of getting 8, 10 and even more "sorry" in a row using that option

I haven't heard of it being lowered, but I'll be glad to check on Monday when people are in the office.

Euchred
07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Another event the same... Let's see something new that I don't need a large disposable income to have fun with.

spectra
07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I haven't heard of it being lowered, but I'll be glad to check on Monday when people are in the office.

Thanks Mark..........Hope you are enjoying your weekend

Cheers

marebear
07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Just want to say thanks for the new maps Mark!!

Talkazar
07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
My personal record for 'sorry' streaks is 15. Ironically that was in the first event and I got the final prize. I also got 3 streaks of 8 'sorry's a couple of events ago with predictably poor consequences for what I ended up with (what a waste of 5 days that was). Probability can be harsh.

In any event, the box open rate has not seemed 'different' to me so far this event.

Erm, and thanks for the new maps.

Joie
07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Question about the new maps Ccm. I appreciate them but why is the gold dropped so much lower. Killing bosses gets you 5k instead of 14k. All the other units are also much lower when you compare energy used to gold value in the previous maps. Makes no sense that the progression of the gold value during drops doesn't increase. If you your looking to farm gold you have to go backwards.

The1nONLY
07-21-2012, 07:45 AM
8 opens in a row with sorry how lame

Hapl0
07-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Same here, lot of sorry, middle option.

Joie
07-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Yea my open rate is far from the 42% or so that has been claimed

Ryosaeba
07-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Wonder who this 'Wildstallion" guy is? He has got to be spending thousands on this. Either that or he found some way to cheat. How long has this been open a few hours? He's already got 165. That's nuts... guess he really loves this game or is just rich and don't care. Still crazy for a game that really don't do much... just silly animation during battles.

Joie
07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
It's been open a few days, they just added time. He normally wins all the events, he has a pixel fetish.

whiterider
07-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I like this event, it is 5 days, has one more unit for 25 gems and I have a good open rate. I think many players could take the free invulnerable units with some luck and patience and mega units for gem players. Funzio created a fair format event for everyone. I cant understand why people are so picky and always unsatisfied. Weird

Aragorn
07-21-2012, 01:38 PM
It is clear that these box opening games are getting harder and harder. It says fair chance, but this is
obviously a new interpretation of fair. Buy gems to make them rich because you will be very lucky to
reach 10 and it would be a miracle to reach 15, in fact this time 5 will be really good. Sigh...do I keep
going with this game?

marebear
07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
It is clear that these box opening games are getting harder and harder. It says fair chance, but this is obviously a new interpretation of fair. Buy gems to make them rich because you will be very lucky toreach 10 and it would be a miracle to reach 15, in fact this time 5 will be really good. Sigh...do I keepgoing with this game?I had 9 yesterday all with the medium option. (in game gold) and there were still 4 days left. Pretty sure Everson got to 20 last event, all free no gems and with less time. Are you level 60 per chance? Your name looks familiar.

Aragorn
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Level 98 ;) Maybe its just my bad luck that it seems harder, in which case please ignore my moaning. Actually I have enjoyed the game and have bought gems in the past but when you reach higher levels there seems little real incentive to buy gems. Good luck to everyone.

GetItOn
07-21-2012, 02:26 PM
My personal record for 'sorry' streaks is 15. Ironically that was in the first event and I got the final prize. I also got 3 streaks of 8 'sorry's a couple of events ago with predictably poor consequences for what I ended up with (what a waste of 5 days that was). Probability can be harsh.

In any event, the box open rate has not seemed 'different' to me so far this event.

Erm, and thanks for the new maps.

Maybe the Open rate is about the same.. But I'm noticing a big decrease in the number of Helms I'm getting with each open. Before it was like maybe 70-75%.. now it seems like 20-25% chance on each open for a Helm...

Possibly the longer the event is, the less chance of a Helm on opening.. spend more gold but have more chances is their reasoning.

Cool Fella
07-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Wonder who this 'Wildstallion" guy is? He has got to be spending thousands on this. Either that or he found some way to cheat. How long has this been open a few hours? He's already got 165. That's nuts... guess he really loves this game or is just rich and don't care. Still crazy for a game that really don't do much... just silly animation during battles.

This guy is always at the top of the list of all of the events. He must be spending a lot of $

Talkazar
07-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe the Open rate is about the same.. But I'm noticing a big decrease in the number of Helms I'm getting with each open. Before it was like maybe 70-75%.. now it seems like 20-25% chance on each open for a Helm...

Possibly the longer the event is, the less chance of a Helm on opening.. spend more gold but have more chances is their reasoning.

Or the chance of getting a helm decreases with the number of helms you have already got (which was also (albeit more severe) the mechanic for the old box opening events).

Re wildstallion, yes he really is spending a lot of money. I guess he really likes his legendary units.

Proprioc3ption
07-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Me too! I'm getting a little Pissed Off here. Last 10 goes at opening an Abyss Box with Gems and all i get is a couple of thousand gold each time! **** ***! Really pissed!

This will be the last time I play these box games as they are a load of ****! Fix this **** FUNZIO, or I will be pulling the plug and never spend a single dollar again on your **** game!

I don't mind spending a little cash on something worth while but not for it to be eaten up by ****!

Gems are suppose to be 100% opening but should also be 90% chance of receiving a Helm not bloody 2000 gold 10 times in a row... i can get that from one rival battle! VERY ANNOYED HERE!!! By the way I have 25 helms currently and need 27 to make top 50... so i'm very pissed my last 10 attempts using Gems has got me zipp! PISSED OFF!!!

Proprioc3ption
07-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Just tried the 11th time... 75 Xp................. REALLY ****** PISSED OFF NOW!!!!

Funkey monkey
07-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Proprioc3ption
Not everyone likes these style events. But nowhere does is say that if you spend gems that it increases your odds on obtaining helms. Using gems only allows you to be sure open a box. You don’t have to use gems. The makers Gree have provide other options Free and in game Gold options. Since this is your first post, I’m not sure how long you have been playing the game, but this event is a little different from the previous ones in that Gree has given us more time to play the game and have added another unit for 25 helms. Yea!

Just for the sake of looking at your request. Let’s say that by using gems every box opens and each time you get a helm. Only 50 people will get the top 50 prize with a bonus attached (same as today). Everyone else who is trying for it will also be using gems. Every box they open with the gems would also give them a reward. You wouldn’t be any more likely obtaining the prize with your new method than you would with the current method. The problem isn’t the Helm rate is the amount you are willing to spend.

Those top 50 have out spent you and will likely continue to outspend you. Most of them will not only use the gems to open but also to reset the time. There is still almost 4 days left of playing this box game. You have to end in the top 50 not just be in the top 50 at some point during the game. Those that want to end in the top 50 have already spent and will be spending a lot of gems to obtain the prize.

What you really want is for you to have a special open rate that no one else has? That isn’t going to happen, since that wouldn’t be fair. Instead of getting frustrated, be happy you have 5 indestructible units and in the running for the top 250 prize. If you want to make a suggestion to the developers, why don’t you think of something that the developers can do to make the game more enjoyable for you and fair for everyone else?

Proprioc3ption
07-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Let me just be honest and say one thing... Gree are missing one thing... a 'd' at the end of their name. These are about the greediest ***** I've ever meet to enter the gaming community. Everything is a rip off! And anyone that disagrees is deluded and sucked in.

Nah, I've been playing since January 2012. First time I've posted here is because of how frustrating and well, to be honest a waste of money this is becoming. I totally understand that I need to finish in the top 50 to win, but my point is I'm not far off getting there but now all i get is gold and xp for each box I open. That's rigged and unfair! I shouldn't have to spend more than what some one else has spent, that is unfair and not stated. If this Abyss game stated that if you spend real $ and are one of the top 50 players in expenditure then you will win. No, it doesn't say that. So your saying I have no other choice but to spend until I out-spend my nearest opponent at rank 50? That's ridiculous! Then why have varying % of chances opening? Why not just state the truth? Aa Haa, i know why. Because if they do state this then 80% of the public (that aren't easily duped into spending real money on this utter BS) would simply not play and would play like I have all year without spending a single dollar (until now of course).

All i can say is this... if it does it on my 12th go in a row since i got my last Helm, then i will stop completely! I'll go back to playing without spending my hard earned cash. I'll also let everyone know how rigged this game is.
What they don't tell you is that behind the scenes all they want to do is make some serious money of people who become addicted! If you a rich dude that doesn't give a **** then MPTY! But I'm not going to fall for this **** any more.

I'll tell you how to make the game more enjoyable and fair. Make 'everything' random! Get rid of the Gems (or at least make their purchase a reasonably price not the ridiculously inflated price they currently are). The missions are great because they are all randomized, but the only reason the developers have made these Abyss type quests is to suck people who haven't spent real cash on gems to purchase them... hence, so they can bleed people of cash to fill their dirty pockets!

Anyway, I've been foolish in thinking that buying gems were going to help me this once. I'll never be buying them again! Anyone who reads this, learn from my mistake!

marebear
07-22-2012, 06:21 AM
If you want exactly what you pay for then buy the limited editions or the indestructibles from the store. If you want to gamble a little then buy the chests of might and hope for rares or uncommons but at least you are guaranteed a indestructible. If you CHOOSE to GAMBLE on event prizes then you have to learn it is a gamble. I'm not picking on you for complaining, most of us have been there but the sooner you accept this the happier you will be with your choices. You have 25. You will most likely be top 250 if you keep on it. To get to top 50 you are going to have to spend a lot, especially with the extended play time. Good luck!

Hobtuse
07-22-2012, 06:25 AM
@Proprioc3option: I can understand you getting frustrated and angry over opening 11 straight boxes with gems without a darkness helm.

You can actually send in a ticket regarding this (for all you know, there might be something wrong with the event regarding awarding helms)

What you should not do is to go into a super-long rant simply because you failed to get any Helm of Darkness with 11 Magic Keys. Your reasons could be sound but your motivation isn't.

for what it's worth, I doubt they will actually admit to the opening rate being lowered as it kinda opens them up to criticism.

Sludgeboy
07-22-2012, 06:50 AM
CCM, can you explain the extra stats of the units?

Do unit percentages stack, like the two current units of this event or does the higher one activate only? Does percentages of a unit stack with a building? Ex. Water Temple of healing with Molten Hydra? If not, then it would be useless to upgrade my Water Temple.

Does the +skills stack? Ex. Taking +3 and +4 rivals take fewer allies into battle.

Chups
07-22-2012, 08:20 AM
CCM, can you explain the extra stats of the units?

Do unit percentages stack, like the two current units of this event or does the higher one activate only? Does percentages of a unit stack with a building? Ex. Water Temple of healing with Molten Hydra? If not, then it would be useless to upgrade my Water Temple.

Does the +skills stack? Ex. Taking +3 and +4 rivals take fewer allies into battle.

I would also like to know the answer to this. Somebody posted that it doesn't stack. I won an event (when it was only up to 10) with an indestructible unit giving 40% more HP from battles. If they don't stack....then the prize for the this Abyss event (top 50) would be useless for me as it only gives 30% more HP.

Mordekaiser
07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
That was the indestructible unit that had 40% HP. Yeah this event kind of sucks, since their are no really good Honor units to buy anyways. I have the Hell Warlord, and to be honest really don't notice the difference when i pvp (normally get more xp then honor, shouldn't it be the other way?).

Don't know why ppl are spending money on this event since the top 250 unit has no bonus and the top 50 get a boost in HP. Ok the AD stats are nice, but I still have lowbie units (Manticore & Beserkers) in my army since I'm not near end game.

And in the Dragon egg event they brought back the Elder Dragon of Dark Flame 1197/1053 with 20% fewer casualties just with kickin stats (hydra has the same bonus) If they are going to bring back a unit with stats, bring back that two buildings at once dragon. Now that I would spend money on.

Also just give Wildstallion god mode since you pretty much did by letting him spend thousands for it. To think I play video games to escape the 1% that rule the world, just to see it all over again when I play. No offense to Wildstallion he's just doing what you're allowing him to do.

I do buy gems to contribute to the game, but I'm getting to the point of why bother since you have these mega gemmers.

marebear
07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
I hear you on the honor points. I mentioned that on the twitter feed. I'm fine with the weapons. Give me more options for honor points.

echus14
07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
@CCM

I generally don't mind these box events even though I haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of getting a higher end prize, but even I would appreciate it if you could check on the open rates and helm drop rates. In this one event alone, I am now at the SECOND series of 12-15 attempts (almost all with the gold option) and mostly sorrys/no helms. I understand that there is a luck factor, but really, this is getting off-putting.

As a lot of other players have also voiced, it would help if you could let us know what the gold option's chances are of opening the box compared to the free rusty knife option (10%, 20%, 50%)?

Sorry you are going to see all of this first thing on a Monday morning, but really, something seems to be askew. Thanks for reading.

asdfg12345
07-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Let me just be honest and say one thing... Gree are missing one thing... a 'd' at the end of their name. These are about the greediest ***** I've ever meet to enter the gaming community. Everything is a rip off! And anyone that disagrees is deluded and sucked in.

Nah, I've been playing since January 2012. First time I've posted here is because of how frustrating and well, to be honest a waste of money this is becoming. I totally understand that I need to finish in the top 50 to win, but my point is I'm not far off getting there but now all i get is gold and xp for each box I open. That's rigged and unfair! I shouldn't have to spend more than what some one else has spent, that is unfair and not stated. If this Abyss game stated that if you spend real $ and are one of the top 50 players in expenditure then you will win. No, it doesn't say that. So your saying I have no other choice but to spend until I out-spend my nearest opponent at rank 50? That's ridiculous! Then why have varying % of chances opening? Why not just state the truth? Aa Haa, i know why. Because if they do state this then 80% of the public (that aren't easily duped into spending real money on this utter BS) would simply not play and would play like I have all year without spending a single dollar (until now of course).

All i can say is this... if it does it on my 12th go in a row since i got my last Helm, then i will stop completely! I'll go back to playing without spending my hard earned cash. I'll also let everyone know how rigged this game is.
What they don't tell you is that behind the scenes all they want to do is make some serious money of people who become addicted! If you a rich dude that doesn't give a **** then MPTY! But I'm not going to fall for this **** any more.

I'll tell you how to make the game more enjoyable and fair. Make 'everything' random! Get rid of the Gems (or at least make their purchase a reasonably price not the ridiculously inflated price they currently are). The missions are great because they are all randomized, but the only reason the developers have made these Abyss type quests is to suck people who haven't spent real cash on gems to purchase them... hence, so they can bleed people of cash to fill their dirty pockets!

Anyway, I've been foolish in thinking that buying gems were going to help me this once. I'll never be buying them again! Anyone who reads this, learn from my mistake!
you realize that if there is a guaranteed helm with every open, the top 50 will still be the same. The only difference is instead of having 40 helms they would all be at 300 helms instead

echus14
07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
@CCM - a suggestion:

I would be happy if they could just guarantee the opening of the box every time. Gem players can pay to reset the clock so that they can get more helms, vials, etc to advance them in the leaderboards whilst the free players stick with 1 (guaranteed to open box) an hour. Ranges of stuff in the box will still vary ... gold, item, HP (although perhaps you can raise the min HP prize and introduce more prizes like some good armour or weapons). This could go a long way towards making the event more fun, and less frustrating for players. Those who want to compete for the better prizes can do so, those who just want to go for the lower end units have a reasonable chance of achieving such and there is a lot less stress/unhappiness amongst your client base.

Chuck29
07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
These events are ridiculous for free players...unless you have insane amount of luck on your side. Which I have not in the past 2 events. I've gotten 1 helm in the past 48 hours(all middle option)..There have been way too many "sorry try again". Clearly the devs need to fix the rate in which boxes are opened, because right now the rate is absolute crap.

Guido69
07-23-2012, 10:07 AM
These events are ridiculous for free players...unless you have insane amount of luck on your side. Which I have not in the past 2 events. I've gotten 1 helm in the past 48 hours(all middle option)..There have been way too many "sorry try again". Clearly the devs need to fix the rate in which boxes are opened, because right now the rate is absolute crap.

It is interesting. It seems the open/helms rate varies quite a lot between players. I am now at 13 and I certainly am not standing guard to open every hour. Some players here have near or over 20 (without using gems).

How many boxes did you try to open in the past 48 hours?

I wonder whether there is some link between the open success and player's parameters (stats, number of boxes,...)

MasterCPU
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
It is interesting. It seems the open/helms rate varies quite a lot between players. I am now at 13 and I certainly am not standing guard to open every hour. Some players here have near or over 20 (without using gems).

I wonder whether there is some link between the open success and player's parameters (stats, number of boxes,...)

First time poster! :) Anyway, I've wondered this myself with this and previous events. I was also trying to see if there was a pattern to get Helms.

For example: If you don't open the box right at the 1hr mark, but wait maybe a few mins and try you would be more likely to get a Helm.

Guido69
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
First time poster! :) Anyway, I've wondered this myself with this and previous events. I was also trying to see if there was a pattern to get Helms.

For example: If you don't open the box right at the 1hr mark, but wait maybe a few mins and try you would be more likely to get a Helm.

I agree. I sometimes wait until the one hour timer runs out and then try to open it right away. In those case my success rate seems to be much lower than when I open it later.

No scientific experiment of course, just a hunch.

d_nickels
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
OK, I just emailed support and they were actually pretty quick to respond but here is the gist of what they said.

You can indeed modify the chance you can get a helm when opening the boxes in these types of events. There are several ways, but if you're successful in applying all of this you can get a near 100% success rate.

If you open the box right away that actually decreases your success rate a tiny amount but that amount is multiplied by the remainder after your level is divided by 7, so watch your level and camp where you can minimize this effect. If you watch the tick of your energy and stamina, you can greatly increase or success rate if you open a box right as both your energy AND stamina increase, but only if you're currently viewing some other players kingdom and have successfully attacked them 3 times and raided 4 times. You also should have at least 5 un-collected money buildings in your kingdom while attempting to open, but if you have an even number un-collected then you'll reduce your chances of a helm. It also takes into account the mix of armor and weapons you have. If you have more weapons/armor with a letter "A" in the name than you have with a letter "T" in the name you might increase your success rate, but only on Monday's and every-other Thursday. They also said it helps to be facing west since your ipad/phone likely has a GPS thingy in it and can tell what direction you're facing. Last but not least, you can increase your success rate by unlocking the secret land expansion square located somewhere near the mountains, they didn't say which one it was but said it was a huge help if you had that one open.

Oh yeah, just kidding . . . its ****'ing random! =)

Chuck29
07-23-2012, 11:45 AM

I've opened close to around 40 in that 48hrs, with one helm and multiple "sorry try again". I've gotten 3-4 gold, and hp, but since then I've gotten nothing but "sorry try again.

Out of the 10+ opens thus far today I've opened one chest for a grand total of 50hp..../Shocker...I know right.../end sarcasm.

Aragorn
07-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I have now gone 18 hours without a helm on money option. I accept I could be unlucky but this does seem considerably more difficult than the previous box games, but hey Funzio can do what they wish with their game but dump the wording saying 'fair' chance, it upsets people because they don't expect to keep getting 'sorry'. Reached 7 so far and hoping to reach 10 but confidence is draining away.

GFF
07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I've been lurking for a while now, finally decided to post.

I'm experiencing some frustration with this event as well. The previous events were shorter, so I was happy if I got to 5 and got any type of indestructible unit. In this event I got to 5 pretty quickly, then tediously worked my way up to 9. I opened 15 boxes yesterday. 4k gold in one box, surrounded by 14 empty.

Given that this event is longer, I was hoping to get to 15 over the weekend. Now that I'm back at the office without my iPad, that's not going to happen.

GetItOn
07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, just kidding . . . its ****'ing random! =)

LoL When I first started to read that I was like what the f*ck!?

Mordekaiser
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I have now gone 18 hours without a helm on money option. I accept I could be unlucky but this does seem considerably more difficult than the previous box games, but hey Funzio can do what they wish with their game but dump the wording saying 'fair' chance, it upsets people because they don't expect to keep getting 'sorry'. Reached 7 so far and hoping to reach 10 but confidence is draining away.

24 hours without a helm till today, I was stuck at 15 helms all of yesterday. I was doing good too, all money option this time. The last events I went with gem opens to get me out at front and then some gem opens at the end. Since this event lacks luster and they seem to me to be declining, I doubt I'll spend gems on them again. Seems like more ppl are doing the same, except for the few going for the top prize

Hobtuse
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
@mordekaiser: the top 250 prize is probably giving people pause for thought since it's just a vanilla unit.

I am hopeful the epic boss event is coming this week or next.. at least that will be interesting

whiterider
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I was stuck the whole day at the 15th helm (middle button only), just 5 minutes ago I opened the 16th, so I might have a chance to get more units, if I am feeling lucky I might even spend some gems at the end but not much.

Since I dont play other funzio games, what is a boss event, what is done on it?

echus14
07-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Seems like something was done yesterday and the event is working a LOT better.

@CCM - if this was your hand in the background, then a big thank you for listening and addressing the issue quickly (if not, then I really should go out today and buy a lottery ticket) :)

Hobtuse
07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
@echus14: has something changed?

echus14
07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
@echus14: has something changed?

Helm drop rates are a lot more reasonable. Even when its not a helm, you often get something else. My rough estimate is that "sorries" now are at 20-25% whereas previously I went for an aggregate of nearly 50 hours of almost hourly openings without a single helm and less than a handful of HP/gold (rest all sorries).

I hope that the developers will still consider tweaking the format a little more to what I previously suggested (ie, guaranteed open on an hourly basis with some item inside for all players and only use gems for resetting the clock for those who want to pursue the higher prizes), but even if they don't, I could live with this current drop rate. Just think the former would make it less stressful/more fun for everyone.

Zesder
07-23-2012, 08:46 PM
An interesting consequence to echus14's idea would apply to the campers. They would have to decide whether to collect boxes or keep camping.

echus14
07-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Hmm ... all the sorries starting again ... 4 in a row so far. Hope the new update didn't wipe out any earlier fix that was implemented about the event drop rates.

Jhoemel
07-24-2012, 04:11 AM
Hmm ... all the sorries starting again ... 4 in a row so far. Hope the new update didn't wipe out any earlier fix that was implemented about the event drop rates.

All sorries for me too man

echus14
07-24-2012, 04:20 AM
@CCM - did the new update undo any earlier fix to this event concerning the helm drop rates?

Or maybe I should just change my nick to 'Charlie Brown' :)

Corporal Denney
07-24-2012, 04:27 AM
these events in KA are wired too tight. I was able to get the first 5 helms in day 1, 3 days later and I only have 8. It's too miserable to continue, they are just too tight with their virtual prizes. Screw em, I'm out of this one. Crap like this keeps me from taking this game serious, there are much better things to do with my free time.

Chuck29
07-24-2012, 04:53 AM
these events in KA are wired too tight. I was able to get the first 5 helms in day 1, 3 days later and I only have 8. It's too miserable to continue, they are just too tight with their virtual prizes. Screw em, I'm out of this one. Crap like this keeps me from taking this game serious, there are much better things to do with my free time.

This is the exact same situation I'm in corp.

Morkeleb
07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
When I participated in all these events (from the first one), I had reasonably good luck, most of the time--got the end prizes in the first few, got up to the 15 gem prize in a couple, and in this current one as of this post we've got 40 hours left, and I've got 19 helms (and I'm currently 1 out of the top 250).

The purely selfish gamer in me finds these games utterly maddening and frustrating--Funzio is catering these events to the gem buyers!! Dammit, it ain't FAIR that the poor schleps like me can't get the top prize.

Then the reasonable, calmer side thinks about it. "Of COURSE they're catering to the gem buyers," this side says. "They're providing a free game, but can get money out of it. THEY'RE GENIUS."

And I find the strucutre of these events to be an extremely smart business model. Those of us who are free players can still get decent prizes, with some determination and luck. (and yes, in one event I did buy some gems to open boxes, but never again, it ain't worth it to me!!) But if they can entice even a small fraction of us to buy even a few gems?? hell, more power to 'em. And the fact that they added a super-duper top prize for the #1 helm getter?? Pssshhh man these guys are SMART.

I have the potential to be in the top 250 by the event's end, maybe possibly perhaps. I'm not going to buy gems to insure that--but I ahve to admit that I'm still tempted to!

also, don't forget how statistics really work. Each box opening is its own discreet action with a given percentage to work. yes, over time the percentages shoudl work out--but don't expect YOUR individual open rate to match the given percentage.

And on use of the word "fair"--there's nothing wrong with it, considering the context. It means "decent, but not great" or "one step below good"--it does not mean "equitable" or "equal" in any way.

Chups
07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Frustrated as well. 13 sorrys in a row yesterday then got a few helms/HP/Gold. Now 6 sorrys in a row. All mid option. This is my pattern in 2 days. 13 sorrys then 4 consecutive rewards, 1 sorry, 3 consecutive rewards then 6 sorrys....that's called fair?

echus14
07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
@morkeleb
Hi. I have mentioned that I generally do enjoy these events and certainly have no issues with the top prizes going to those who buy gems. As has so often been pointed out, they do financially bankroll the game. What I have been highlighting is the apparent reduction in the helm drop rate for this game. It's been drastic enough compared to other events to cause concern that something had gone awry in the programming. This was raised to CCM by another forumite and he kindly said that he would look into the matter. The latest concern is whether the new update may have accidentally undone an earlier fix. Again, I don't see a problem with raising the concern with CCM. This event is, after all, consuming a lot of time for many players and we just want it to work properly. Hope you understand that it isn't all ranting. Thanks for reading.

Chuck29
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
When I participated in all these events (from the first one), I had reasonably good luck, most of the time--got the end prizes in the first few, got up to the 15 gem prize in a couple, and in this current one as of this post we've got 40 hours left, and I've got 19 helms (and I'm currently 1 out of the top 250).

The purely selfish gamer in me finds these games utterly maddening and frustrating--Funzio is catering these events to the gem buyers!! Dammit, it ain't FAIR that the poor schleps like me can't get the top prize.

Then the reasonable, calmer side thinks about it. "Of COURSE they're catering to the gem buyers," this side says. "They're providing a free game, but can get money out of it. THEY'RE GENIUS."

And I find the strucutre of these events to be an extremely smart business model. Those of us who are free players can still get decent prizes, with some determination and luck. (and yes, in one event I did buy some gems to open boxes, but never again, it ain't worth it to me!!) But if they can entice even a small fraction of us to buy even a few gems?? hell, more power to 'em. And the fact that they added a super-duper top prize for the #1 helm getter?? Pssshhh man these guys are SMART.

I have the potential to be in the top 250 by the event's end, maybe possibly perhaps. I'm not going to buy gems to insure that--but I ahve to admit that I'm still tempted to!

also, don't forget how statistics really work. Each box opening is its own discreet action with a given percentage to work. yes, over time the percentages shoudl work out--but don't expect YOUR individual open rate to match the given percentage.

And on use of the word "fair"--there's nothing wrong with it, considering the context. It means "decent, but not great" or "one step below good"--it does not mean "equitable" or "equal" in any way.

The word "fair" shouldn't mean under a 15% chance to open. Out of the past 3 days I've gotten 0 helms and a VERY few amount of garbage 25hp/50hp, or gold...all while using the middle option. I'd have to say that 1/7 or 1/10 isn't exactly called fair, and to just get crap when I finally do open the box is just disgusting.

Either way I'm sticking with "free option" on the rest of this event.

The_Red
07-24-2012, 10:17 AM
A number of people need to learn how a random number
generator works and the "chance of a die." ;)

Just because you failed to get a good open last time doesn't
change the odds of you getting one to open this time.

Morkeleb
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Echus14: what an eloquent and calm reply--spoken like a gentleman! :cool:

The only reason I even posted was that we humans tend to focus on the negative, and we also tend to allow anecdotal evidnece to carry much more weight than it should. So it may well be that there is some glitch, as you said. It also may well be that only "bad luckers" are posting, so it *seems* like there's a glitch.

but I don't begrudge bringing the possibility to the programmers/powers that be.

Chuck29 and Chups: if you flipped a coin 9 times and got heads 9 times, your chances of getting heads on the next flip is 50%. I have no idea whether the programmers included a running tally/memory of whether your box openings were successful, but if they did not . .. well, you have a "fair" chance of opening any given box. Stuff happens, I guess. I'd be interested to see the overall results of all box openings by everyone throughout the event; I'll bet Funzio is gathering, adn using, that data (but of course, I don't know for sure . . .)

echus14
07-24-2012, 10:38 AM
On a complete aside, I recall reading that back in the 70s one of the big US universities ran an experiment where people tried to influence the outcome of a dice throw by sheer concentration ... And surprisingly the results showed that there was a very, very slight increase in probability (and no, I didn't read this on the back of a cereal box ;) ). So, for the next 24 hours or so I shall stare at my iPad and chant "helm, helm, helm ....".

Chuck29
07-24-2012, 11:27 AM
A number of people need to learn how a random number
generator works and the "chance of a die." ;)

Just because you failed to get a good open last time doesn't
change the odds of you getting one to open this time.

Hence why I don't gamble with real $. Odds are always in the houses favor.

Morkeleb
07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
On a complete aside, I recall reading that back in the 70s one of the big US universities ran an experiment where people tried to influence the outcome of a dice throw by sheer concentration ... And surprisingly the results showed that there was a very, very slight increase in probability (and no, I didn't read this on the back of a cereal box ;) ). So, for the next 24 hours or so I shall stare at my iPad and chant "helm, helm, helm ....".

heh. You sure you shouldn't use reverse psychology and chant "Sorry, sorry sorry . . ." ;)

mrmeow 5
07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
38 sorrys in a row it sure is a 50% chance :D

Guido69
07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
no helm in the last 48 hours :(

0, I mean ZERO, out of over 20

YLL
07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
no helm in the last 48 hours :(

0, I mean ZERO, out of over 20

I empathise and sympathise, I had that in the first 50/500 auction.

Guido69
07-24-2012, 01:06 PM

if you open 38 in a row now, you are right at 50% :) :)

on a more serious note, that does indeed suck big time

d_nickels
07-24-2012, 01:27 PM

ouch! 38 actual sorry's in a row using the middle/cash option? Or is that just 38 attempts and no helms? using rusty knife?

mrmeow 5
07-24-2012, 01:32 PM
it is the middle option i use and i keep getting sorrys! :(

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I think next event we should broadcast into every player's notes and beg to not have anyone use gems. Then we can really check to see who has the really good luck for the event.

But in either case, if there are 15,000 players and eeryone has awesome luck, horrible luck, in-the-middle luck, shallow pockets or deep pockets, only 250 people will get the event item. Glitch or no glitch.

I'm still hoping they'll change my algorithm to give me 9 more helms before the end of the event, but again, it's all up to chance.

echus14
07-24-2012, 06:03 PM
With the dreath of helms being found by participants, I truly wonder how much our lead player has spent this time to build such a commanding lead. Scary to think for someone like me with bills to pay.

GetItOn
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
With the dreath of helms being found by participants, I truly wonder how much our lead player has spent this time to build such a commanding lead. Scary to think for someone like me with bills to pay.

I heard him say he spent nearly 9 grand for the KA and MW event last week.

echus14
07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Hmmm ... if he continues this way, I will have to ask him if he has a favourite son or daughter of marriageable age :D

GetItOn
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Hmmm ... if he continues this way, I will have to ask him if he has a favourite son or daughter of marriageable age :D

LoL You'd marry his son OR daughter?? Ewww

echus14
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
LoL You'd marry his son OR daughter?? Ewww

Yikes! Not ME ... my kids and his kids.

GetItOn
07-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Yikes! Not ME ... my kids and his kids.

He is pretty old, so who knows!

echus14
07-24-2012, 10:32 PM
@CCM - Hi, could I trouble you to pls see if the helm drop rate is working properly? Another 18 hour cycle and 1 helm. It got better before the update, then went dry again. Just want to know if anything that needs to be fixed has been ... there isn't much event time left. Tks.

Morkeleb
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
so I was doing really well up to yesterday morning around 7 AM when Ipicked up my 19th helm, and was 1 away from the top 250. I was positively *dilligent* yesterday, and had about 18 tries in 25 hours before I got my 20th. (most of those 18 tries were "sorry's", a couple hero and a couple $) And after 4 more tries, I've got 21 helms.

That's juuuuust enough to harbor a tiny glimmer of hope for both the top 250 (currently 3 away) and the 25. But with 15 hours to go, and with only a reasonable expectation of 10 more tries (wihtout gems), that's only a teeny glimmer.

I wonder whether the Big G gathers the data on how a box is opened and what the result is, to insure their algorithms are functioning as expected .. .?

Proprioc3ption
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
No point wasting money here on in as the places are pretty much set.
I'm glad I haven't wasted any more of my hard earned cash on this garbage and I'll still end up in the top 250, just missing out on the top 50 by 5 but if i don't get anymore then who cares...I'm not paying in cash.

echus14
07-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Finally hit 20. 12 out of 14 sorrys in the last run (all middle option). Switching to rusty knife till the end of the event. Seriously wonder whether I will just stick to rusty knife for future box events if I feel the object drop rate (especially the primary item) stays the same.

Sludgeboy
07-25-2012, 08:18 PM
20th with about 8 hrs to go. Other account is stuck on 14. Hoping for one more.
21st just now. 3 hr 40 min left.

Proprioc3ption
07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Why have they frozen the leader board when the count down has finished?

Proprioc3ption
07-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Why have they frozen the leader board when the count down has not finished?

echus14
07-26-2012, 12:03 AM
I've been thinking about this. Maybe GREE has taken a different approach to this event in that they have made it uniformly hard for everyone to find the helms. It's an even playing field in one sense, and the gem buyers of course have an advantage in getting more helms since they can open more boxes (but even they will overall have less helms per so many boxes opened). If this is correct, then its from one business viewpoint, pretty smart, because the tendency will be for heavy gem buyers to buy even more to reach the same levels they did previously. Just my speculation.

Personally, though, the multiple long stretches of "sorries" are really wearying. Shouldn't lose sight that events should be fun.

echus14
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Why have they frozen the leader board when the count down has not finished?

Understand they did this the last time too ... encourage panic gem buying/usage because you don't know if the guy just behind you may be making a last minute sprint and push you off the relevant leaderboard in the process.

Proprioc3ption
07-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Greedy pricks that's all I'll say!

Morkeleb
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I've been thinking about this. Maybe GREE has taken a different approach to this event in that they have made it uniformly hard for everyone to find the helms. It's an even playing field in one sense, and the gem buyers of course have an advantage in getting more helms since they can open more boxes (but even they will overall have less helms per so many boxes opened). If this is correct, then its from one business viewpoint, pretty smart, because the tendency will be for heavy gem buyers to buy even more to reach the same levels they did previously. Just my speculation.

Personally, though, the multiple long stretches of "sorries" are really wearying. Shouldn't lose sight that events should be fun.

Interesting thought, echus. It all boils down to psychology.

I wonder if there would be fewer complaints if, for example, the "prize" (in this case, helm) frequency were increased, but the number required for the units was also increased. It could be set up for the same net effect/rate of gaining the units, but would feel better because of increased success/fewer "sorrys".

Meh. I ended up with 22 helms, and at my last check was 4 away from the top 250 (there were still 3-4 hours left when I went to bed). I doubt I'll ever get to the top 250. Part of me is bitter about that, but another part of me is very much "hey, they're a business. Why should I expect big prizes if I don't shell out the dough for them?"

But freezing the leaderboard before event is done . . . that seems a tad skeevy to my reckoning.

Musketblade
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
im still playing

Talkazar
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
"sorry" is what you get if you don't open the box with gold or the knife - so if you open with gems its not a concern. So if you want to take a punt at how often gem buyers get helms you need to discard "sorry". For what its worth, the open rate for me in these events is about 40% and this event was no different.

In this event, I had horrible luck going from 5 to 11 (took 5 days), then got 4 helms in 6 attempts. I swear probability is toying with me. Its pretty easy to guess that item chance drops after you have 5, but beyond that I wouldn't hazard a guess.

Re the top 250, what tends to happen is that the boundary will tend to be what a lucky free player would get until the last day, when gem buyers move in and push it to about 5 above that. Piling in late so the final price won't be that high tends to happen in auctions like this (also if a gem buyer aiming at 250 buys in earlier, then they would be around 100-150 for most of the event where we don't see them)

MaverickMunkey
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Dear Funzio / Gree,

Please can we have a two week break before the next event.

Cheers

MaverickMunkey

echus14
07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Dear Funzio / Gree,

Please can we have a two week break before the next event.

Cheers

MaverickMunkey

+1 for the sake of my beauty sleep :)
But GREE probably needs some punting money for the Olympics, so don't count on it.

echus14
07-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Interesting thought, echus. It all boils down to psychology.

I wonder if there would be fewer complaints if, for example, the "prize" (in this case, helm) frequency were increased, but the number required for the units was also increased. It could be set up for the same net effect/rate of gaining the units, but would feel better because of increased success/fewer "sorrys".

Meh. I ended up with 22 helms, and at my last check was 4 away from the top 250 (there were still 3-4 hours left when I went to bed). I doubt I'll ever get to the top 250. Part of me is bitter about that, but another part of me is very much "hey, they're a business. Why should I expect big prizes if I don't shell out the dough for them?"

But freezing the leaderboard before event is done . . . that seems a tad skeevy to my reckoning.

I suggested something very similar to that to GREE a few days back via this forum. Basically, every box opens but you limit the box opening to one per hour unless you pay gems for it. It becomes a bit of a lucky draw for the free players (and who doesn't like a lucky draw). The commitment for the free players will be discipline to open every hour if they want to maximise their goodies ... remind me I suggested this when I'm opening a box at 4am on a workday! For gem buyers, they can reset the timer so that they can increase their chances. Number of helms, etc, required can stay the same. The thing (as you have also highlighted) is there are no more sorries. You may get some pathetic prize (25HP) or something worthwhile (15000 gold) or an item (helm, vial), but at least you walk away with something to make you feel good. Lots of this in the retail world where it makes a lot more sense to have a happy customer with a token prize than an unhappy one. Most of all for GREE, is that this shouldn't cost them anything.

MaverickMunkey
07-27-2012, 01:19 AM
+1 for the sake of my beauty sleep :)
But GREE probably needs some punting money for the Olympics, so don't count on it.

You don't think they will try to bring in an Olympic themed event do you? Dwarf hurling anyone?!

Morkeleb
07-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I think, what they REALLY need, is a "top goody getter" prize unit named "the Wyld Stalyon" (or however he spells it, I forget) like a Nightmare horse. Has he ever NOT won? So pay him direct homage, just this once.