PDA

View Full Version : Am I leveling up too fast?

montecore
07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Currently at 105, my hood is better than 90% of the ones I see at my level but far worse than the top ones. It seems between constantly robbing people and farming I level up every day or two. Assuming I have the patience to camp, is there a recommended level? I'm assuming at some point I'll reach a level where I get stomped unless I have my IPH at a point where I can buy explosives, have built enough gatling guns/missile turrets, etc.

Would it make sense to get to the level where I can buy missile turrets and then just spend some time doing that?

Swifty
07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
No amount of IPH will protect you from big gold buyers.

Swearengen
07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
What are your stats?

IPH is not really the key to upper levels. Some folks will say IPH is worthless, others say it has some use, etc...IMO a high IPH is nice for a few reasons 1) a game within a game to entertain yourself 2) you can get some useful items despite what allot of people say 3) yes you can replace explosives but if you try to rely on IPH for this, good luck, in the HL your entire economy would be used up to replace them (the pro's and con's of explosives are discussed in many other threads).

The question is really what are your current goals? You need to set goals for different areas (low lvl, mid lvl, etc…). What do you want to accomplish and of course have fun…

Remember unless your an unlimited gold spender or hacker you will always run into folks who will beat you especially in the shark tank.

montecore
07-18-2012, 08:26 AM
What are your stats?

IPH is not really the key to upper levels. Some folks will say IPH is worthless, others say it has some use, etc...IMO a high IPH is nice for a few reasons 1) a game within a game to entertain yourself 2) you can get some useful items despite what allot of people say 3) yes you can replace explosives but if you try to rely on IPH for this, good luck, in the HL your entire economy would be used up to replace them (the pro's and con's of explosives are discussed in many other threads).

The question is really what are your current goals? You need to set goals for different areas (low lvl, mid lvl, etc…). What do you want to accomplish and of course have fun…

Remember unless your an unlimited gold spender or hacker you will always run into folks who will beat you especially in the shark tank.

I probably followed a different path than most - I spent a bunch of money on gold early on and as a result was always a lot stronger than just about everyone else on my level. With each level that gets less and less - now at 105 there are people who can stomp me though they are still few and far between. I'm not interested in spending much more gold. The IPH and robbing are the most fun parts of the game for me, but a few people have commented that I'm leveling "fast" and I guess I just wanted to make sure I'm not at risk of ruining my game.

Looking forward to missile turrets, Exceleros, Pirate Taverns, and that's about it although I'm sure there are other things to look forward to.

BeniBugatti
07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
No amount of IPH will protect you from big gold buyers.

If you have a measly $500 per hour or higher Real World income then you can easily compete with those big gold spenders.

montecore
07-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I can afford to spend money on gold, but the problem is I can't help but feel that my real world money is better spent on just about anything else you can think of. And when I think about how the money I've spent could be used to help someone in need I get depressed.

I've gone through all of the justifications/rationalizations that many of us have: You can't put a price on fun, think of much people spend on WoW accounts, think of how much a new video game is, what's the occasional 80 dollars in gold, you spend that much on sushi, blah blah blah... objectively the concept of spending real money on pixel crap when people are starving and I have a mortgage to pay is downright embarrassing.

Even if I take the money and invest it in the stock market and lose half of it - I've still got half of it. In retrospect spending all that money trying to win the crazy hit and runner was the best thin I could have done - because it taught me to never spend money on an event here again.

Dreno33
07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
is this a question? b/c the only thing i see in this thread is someone asking how to play a game that has no right way to play. its a matter of choice, no one is better than the other

Swearengen
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Exactly - depends on what you want out of it & how you decide to go about it...

BeniBugatti
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I've found this game to be fairly fun, but not so compelling that I'd spend disproportional money on it. Other varieties of computer gaming that are far more compelling are far less expensive. To me spending $1000s on this game to compete in the shark pool would be like spending $500 on a meal at a burger join. One can spend $500 on a meal and even justify it, but when you do so the experience should be amazing not fast-food like.

It is really to bad that Funzio has not yet determined a means to make its money from small purchases by all users rather than massive purchases from a few users.

I will continue to play this game, but the day my character hits the shark pool will be the day that I stop playing.

montecore
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
is this a question? b/c the only thing i see in this thread is someone asking how to play a game that has no right way to play. its a matter of choice, no one is better than the other

Yes, it was a question. In case you lack the critical thinking skills to understand the question, my query was an attempt to clarify if there are any rules, pitfalls, or other considerations to take into account when leveling up.

Now if I may specifically ask you a question: What are you basing your opinion on that has led you to feel that I have no right to play the game?

BeniBugatti
07-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I forgot to answer your question.

Level at any pace you find compelling, but if you are competitive than do not level into the shark pool.

montecore
07-18-2012, 10:07 AM
When does the "shark pool" start?

Swifty
07-18-2012, 10:17 AM
The lowest level I am seeing is 163, so that is probably a good ballpark figure.

Sandukan
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Putting the subjective nature of your question aside, how would anyone know if you are leveling too quickly when they don't know your IPH, your attack and defense numbers?If you are better than 90% of your rivals then you are probably getting and A in the class.

Dreno33
07-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, it was a question. In case you lack the critical thinking skills to understand the question, my query was an attempt to clarify if there are any rules, pitfalls, or other considerations to take into account when leveling up.

Now if I may specifically ask you a question: What are you basing your opinion on that has led you to feel that I have no right to play the game?

there is no right way to play the game. play how u want to. no "way" is better than another. its a matter of your opinion. not "am i playing the game right?" its nor right or wrong. it just IS a way to play. calling me out on a lack of critical thinking is hypocritical in the instance. Just so you are aware of this.

montecore
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
there is no right way to play the game. play how u want to. no "way" is better than another. its a matter of your opinion. not "am i playing the game right?" its nor right or wrong. it just IS a way to play. calling me out on a lack of critical thinking is hypocritical in the instance. Just so you are aware of this.

Your implication justified my response. I suppose if someone asked if building their economy around level 10 sports bars and arcades was a good idea you'd offer the same point of view.

dudeman
07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Level up as fast as you can if that's your style, just make sure you're doing the fight goals. Earn lots of respect, spend it wisely, and you will have a decent respect based inventory to support the gold items you already have/will get in the future. Beats having a cash based inventory, and even a loot based inventory.

After M4A1s I had crap luck farming loot items, but I did ok farming respect. The top tier respect items are mostly my weakest items, then there are common golds and many event items. My best items are the few good gold items I got when I spent some gold months ago, and the event items I got with luck. Once I realized that I would never be able to camp I stopped caring about level and just played. I gained levels at whatever rate the game would allow me to and I've never really been in a bad situation because of it.

Dreno33
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Your implication justified my response. I suppose if someone asked if building their economy around level 10 sports bars and arcades was a good idea you'd offer the same point of view.

that's their style? is it a good way to get a great economy? no. doesn't mean its the wrong way to play. I'm done arguing with your ignorance. play the game how you want. just leave the critical thinking to someone else.

Nyx
07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
My personal preference is to crawl but I still crawl at a fairly decent pace, leveling every two to three days on average, some times faster if I focus on thug life goals. I completely ignore PVE missions, though. I try to get as much rp for as little experience possible which means avoiding the warehouses and movie theatres, etc. and I only attack someone If they have 20k or more on hand to keep the xp gain at a minimum.

I really enjoy my pace. I'm not bored yet I'm not flying through the levels either. I'm a sliver away from leveling and I'm trying so hard to avoid it because I've been stalking an absolutely beautiful hood the past couple levels where I got my very first nightclub hit, 380k a pop! This hood has bankrolled two upscale nightclubs and a couple 2m expansions, it's like Candyland. I'm really going to miss it. :(

montecore
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
My personal preference is to crawl but I still crawl at a fairly decent pace, leveling every two to three days on average, some times faster if I focus on thug life goals. I completely ignore PVE missions, though. I try to get as much rp for as little experience possible which means avoiding the warehouses and movie theatres, etc. and I only attack someone If they have 20k or more on hand to keep the xp gain at a minimum.

I really enjoy my pace. I'm not bored yet I'm not flying through the levels either. I'm a sliver away from leveling and I'm trying so hard to avoid it because I've been stalking an absolutely beautiful hood the past couple levels where I got my very first nightclub hit, 380k a pop! This hood has bankrolled two upscale nightclubs and a couple 2m expansions, it's like Candyland. I'm really going to miss it. :(

I'm in the same boat, seems like every time I find the good hoods for my level I go up one. I'm at 105 and I found a guy with a level 3 NC and two level 7 UCs. Got my first million+ robbery session from him yesterday.