PDA

View Full Version : My take on new event style a free player perspective

iteachem
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
So.... lots of disgruntled free players now that the new events eliminate us from any of the top tier prizes. I was fortunate enough to get the premium item three times in the first set of events and usually hit 8 or 9 out of 10 in the rest. So like most free players I was disappointed with the new event format in that it effectively eliminated any possibility I had for earning the premium item and the bonus associated with it...

but..... now that I have been thinking about it.

The premium event now only rewards a total of 250 players and its not like I ever had a chance of competing with them anyway. I have been reflecting on this and essentially have realized it now makes it less likely that I will encounter a player at roughly my attack/defense level who will have one of these weapons and the associated bonus.

I already see players at my level with stats double mine and realize that I wouldn't be able to compete with them anyway, so in a way, the format change tends to make the field a little more level. The "top tier" is much more exclusive and that essentially leaves more players within striking distance of my stats.

And, there is still the possibility of winning a premium type weapon via the scratchers...

So, now I am much less frustrated with the new event format, essentially seeing them as a way to boost my stats through the loots drops and the 5/10/15/20 rewards so its all bonus.

Thoughts...

Sandukan
07-16-2012, 06:53 AM
That was my impression as well. Big gold buyers will always be better than me.
I have been aiming for the 4 items as a win.

What it has robbed us of is the possibility of getting a game changing bonus. That carrot being dangled was alluring.

Joe Brown1
07-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Great perspective - I wonder how many people were getting the premium items under the old format - I would guess more than 250. Although I am less interested in the events without the opportunity to get a premium item, I still have fun participating to try to get the 5/10/15/20 items - in some ways it is a welcome break (the allure was fun but also exhausting and more the most part unrealistic - kind of like hoping you will win the lottery). Also, by the time the new format came out I had only ever gotten 1 premium item so I had given up on getting #10 under the old format. If I did - it was a complete shock - not any kind of expectation. That makes expectations under the new format easier to set.

Maniaxe
07-16-2012, 07:22 AM
After the third or fourth event I came to terms with the fact that I would likely never win a tenth and final event item and I was right. There at least was a chance with the old events. You are right about there being heavy gold players in our brackets who simply trump any stats we have, but for the most part we still stay in the top percentile. I would rather have a shot at those event items with a bonus than none at all as is now. The little bonus boost from a final item is going to make little difference when your rivals stats are 20k higher than yours.

With the old event I had a decent shot at getting four good gold equivalent items. Now I am lucky if I get three, currently sitting at 14 katanas hoping for one more in OT. If the open rate was a little better for us to get those 5/10/15/20 items I would be happy with the new event as little would have changed.

Tomatoneverdie
07-16-2012, 07:48 AM
+1, I play this game to compete with myself not the gold players, $0 spent and still having a lot of fun....

iteachem
07-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Was thinking this morning of running... I enjoy running and am at about 10 minutes per mile and working on getting faster... I once ran the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego (4hrs54min) and the coolest part was that you were not really competing with the elite, but you were running on the same course at the same time......

Very Large stretch, but cc is kinda the same in that you are ultimately competing with yourself and your own goals etc... If I pace myself I will enjoy the run.

Duncko
07-16-2012, 08:09 AM
These events are a great bonus for free players, but probably more of a chore for paying ones. I have no complaints and just tag along their money on these events as a free player and usually get my stats increased by about 100 - 200 so why not? Right now, i am already getting excited over the next event and how i wish we get them every single week.

Nyx
07-16-2012, 08:13 AM
CCM has said that there will be other events besides the current format. I really hope that's true. When I first started CC, I was greeted with the Black Widow event and I thought that looked like so much fun and I sorely wished I had started playing CC a couple months earlier so I could have had a shot at competing.

If I had started a week ago, and was greeted with the new event format, I would have immediately deleted the game from my ipad because my immediate reaction would have been "What's the point of even trying?"

Olly1
07-16-2012, 08:24 AM
The moderate gold spenders may be the most put off by the new event. They don't spend enough to play with the big swingers and it's also not enough to be safe from the good 'free' players. These moderate spenders simply won't bother with the new events on the whole so it could bring those free players closer to them stat wise

On the other hand I won 3 of the end prizes from the old events without using gold. I now have no chance of getting one of these high stat weapons on the new events which is a little frustrating as I now have to make do with weapons with stats of the 10/10 region! It was always nice seeing something a little more exciting in your inventory other than a bunch of stab vests!

I do sleep much better with these top 250/25 events though!

Tomatoneverdie
07-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Like Duncko said, I got a good stat boost with no money spent, why not? But one thing I don't agree on is having an event every week....make it every other week so we can actually get some good sleep =)

sexkitteh
07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Here are my thoughts:

THE BIGGEST PLAYERS will end up joining CK or the Indians and they are too busy beating each other to notice moi...

Dr Girlfriend
07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Iteach, you have a good philosophical way of looking at these events. I bet you're pretty happy IRL. :)

I hope they have more of the pvp/income style events. I'm 2/2 on those, and 1/forever on the others. The one event I did win (loaded dice) was a complete game changer, and it's frustrating to be shut out of those kinds of bonuses with this new top 250/25 format. I'd like to see them find some middle ground where free players have a better shot than hitting 6/6 on a scratcher. Even if they just mix the "old style" event in once in a while.

Dr BoneCrusher
08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Good take on the events, some of us Need to get over it.

Khayman
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I have my own goals and achievements but in any case this kind of event open more the abiss between free players & casual gold spenders (like me) with the hardcore goldbuyers.

Jekevoy
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
At level 92 trying to equip a growing mafia, I am content with Racer Zs, deviant trench coats and Hitman Sniper Rifles and delighted with low tier gold equivalents.

iteachem
08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
At level 92 trying to equip a growing mafia, I am content with Racer Zs, deviant trench coats and Hitman Sniper Rifles and delighted with low tier gold equivalents.

at level 120 with 32/32 stats I still get some growth from them as well...

Jekevoy
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Tell me about it. I'm at 200 mafia and replacing Steyr AUGs, Camaros and nail bats. Pretty much doubling the current value of any one item in my inventory.

The Billionaire
08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Nice thread teach and you're right with what you've said. I'm just gutted that I'm no longer going to receive any modifiers. I think when there's an insane modifier up for grabs I might have to go for it but besides that I'm a free player for these events now with the goal being to get all four prizes each time to boost my stats.