PDA

View Full Version : Later All - I'm Done.

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I have decided that it is time for me to walk away from this game and I just wanted to say my goodbyes to the community and post some stats for posterity’s sake since I plan to sell all my income buildings. I've mostly kept quiet on the forum, but I've been on it regularly since January, so I guess I've kind of been a forum lurker. If anyone would like to take a peek at the base themselves, feel free to send me an invite at 129-444-444. I’m accepting all invites at this time and I’ll still be around for a few more days before I sell.

In spite of the frustrations I’ve experienced and the fact that I’m deciding to no longer play, the game has provided some considerable entertainment value to me over the months and I wish everyone else good luck as they continue to grow their base and army.

Maybe I’ll see some of you around in another game somewhere. If you ever see a GodlikeNay, it will most likely be me. Take Care.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N2DGyix5rMU/UAN-ObicpzI/AAAAAAAAACA/f6XKKED5vcA/s421/MW3.PNG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xc1YRctRqJE/UAN9V-moV7I/AAAAAAAAABU/N_GHAIQf-gU/s640/MW1.PNG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8h_MZQlgrII/UAOCUy42rPI/AAAAAAAAADA/Xkc7sOShKxM/s640/MW2.PNG

For those wondering why I have decided to quit, read on and I’ll explain. I want to make it clear though that I’m not trying to talk anyone else into quitting. I’ve simply spent a lot of time and a fair amount of money on the game, so as a result I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about things and I figured I would share my thoughts. Who knows, maybe someone from Funzio will read this and it might inspire them to improve the game for everyone else somehow.

The main reasons I no longer desire to play this game are listed below:
1. Casualty Rates
2. Game Economics
3. Unbalance of the game
4. It’s not a Strategy game, it’s a farming game

I’ll go into each of these reasons a little more in my next posts…

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
1. Casualty Rates. Most longtime players are in the same boat as me and have been waiting for the Casualty rates to improve for over 6 months now. We reminisce of times that PvP was fun and you could actually raid or attack and gain something instead of going negative all the time. The casualty rates are the biggest ding on the fun factor for me right now. I just don’t have much fun with the game anymore and am constantly facing frustration from losing expensive $$$ or valor units. The casualty rates are also a major consideration for my outlook on the future of the game, which I’ll speak about more when I get to #3.

spectra
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi Nay

I have seen you a couple of times, not sure if here or in the rival list
but it is sad to see everyday more and more forum members leave the game

I agree that there habe been too many issues, but I will hold on for a while longer
I want to believe in CCM that thins will get better soon
perhaps I'll give it another 1 or 2, but for sure will not spend any gold in MW again

hope you decide to stay a bit longer to see if what CCM stated comes true

Cheers

Lordsloss
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry to see you go...I guess. Not sure who you are, but I can has those Nanos? :P

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Spectra,

Thanks for the kind words. I truly do hope for everyone's sake that things improve. My most recent dealing with the development team leads me to believe that they are working on something that will at least address the casualty rate concerns. But, for me, even if that happens, there are still 3 other things that are a pretty big deal to me. At this point, the chances of me staying around are pretty slim.

Best of luck to you though Spectra.

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Lordsloss. You're one of the lucky ones with the glitch. I would probably be hanging around if I were in your shoes ;) ... because it addresses concerns 1, 3, and a little bit of 2.

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:47 PM
2. Game Economics. I have not been shy about my feelings that the games economics are all messed up. I think that Gold costs too much and that you get way too little for how much you spend. In my opinion, unless you plan to spend (on average) $20-$30 a week in this game, you have no chance of competing at the top level.

The recent influx of Special Events has only magnified this problem in my eyes. The recent Special Events are both good and bad in my perspective. They are good because they offer more gameplay variety, they give you free indestructible units, and in general, I find them fun. But, unfortunately for me, those things are overshadowed by the need to obtain the game changing bonuses of the 10th item. Notice I don’t mention the stats of the 10th item. Yes, the stats are nice, but A/D stats can be obtained elsewhere. Some of the bonuses are so game changing, that to not have them puts you at a distinct disadvantage to those who do have them (especially with the upgrade 2 buildings at once bonus introduced in KA by a total “spend your way to the top” event). Is it possible to obtain a 10th item without spending gold? Yes, I’ve done it a couple times and I’ve had to spend gold a couple other times too.

In general, the game is a little too obviously geared toward “spending money” than I care to participate in. And in this game, “spending money” doesn’t mean dropping $2-$5 at a time, it means dropping $20, $50, or $100 at a time.

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 08:56 PM
3. Unbalance of the game. I think that allowing people to have entire armies of indestructible units is a total mistake. I’ve heard on several occasions that there are people with A/D stats in excess of 200K. I’ve seen firsthand others that are in pursuit of the same thing as they pass through level 60 with 60K+ A/D. It is not too difficult to look down the road and see what the future holds for me in this game. Inevitably, it will be me at the top levels up against people that have indestructible armies who lose absolutely nothing when they attack and I lose my super expensive $$$ and valor units by the handfuls because of the ridiculous casualty rates I experience (whether attacking or getting attacked). It is impossible to compete with people who spend $10,000 on an indestructible army unless you do the same yourself. I’m not going to do that. Looking months down the road and seeing where the game will end up for me makes it easy (and much less expensive) to walk away now.

Lordsloss
07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I will agree that those who sue gold have a huge advantage at the top levels, but we do have to agree that theyspend money so we can play for free. I will agree that before this glitch hit me, I had huge losses of about 3 units per battle. I've soent $10 on this game, but I might dish out more soon just to keep up. I figure it's spend some money on this or buy a used game for my PS3 that I will play for seven hours and not touch again. Pretty easy decision if you ask me. I agree with you, and maybe you will be back if these issues can be adressed :confused:

GodlikeNay
07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
4. It’s not a Strategy game, it’s a farming game. When I first got into this game, I was under the impression it was a military strategy game (I could have sworn it was marketed as a strategy game early on, but I looked recently and there is no mention of strategy any more…which is probably good). It didn’t take me long to realize that although the game has a military feel to it, it definitely was not effectively designed to be a strategy game. It was fairly new at the time though and I figured I would give Funzio the benefit of having some growing pains. I was certain that Funzio would release information about the game that would allow people to make informed decisions about army composition, understand how wins/losses are decided, understand how casualties are decided, understand the exact impact of defense buildings, and other things that myself and others have questioned since the beginning of the game. Well, I was wrong; they didn’t release that information and probably never will. I’ve finally come to realize that this simply is not a military strategy game at all, it is a farming game. It is a farming game with a military skin that allows heavy spenders to buy their way to the top regardless of skill or strategy or time invested. I’m just not into that.

Fun
07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
I can completely agree with the Points yo made about the unbalance of the game
But I have the casualty glitch so the casualtys dont bother me so I've no reason to quit unless I get to a level where it all most all gold spenders

Agent Orange
07-16-2012, 06:53 AM
I think you did an outstanding job of pointing out the most glaring and longstanding faults of the game. Thanks for taking the time to make this thread and good luck to you!

Aidan
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Good luck to you mate. See you on the outside.. Sooooonnn. Vry soon

enahs1
07-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Good luck to you, just sent you a request, the name is general

Fazhang
07-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Touching... I totally understand your fustrations. I feel the same way about many of your points.

Thunder Child
07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
A good few of us, will not be too far behind.

Been around as long as many and more than most, and I would put your comments among some of the most important and perceptive I have seen.

I encourage you NOT to leave, however, and perhaps see that there might be strategy and quite a bit of fun in finding a way forward for yourself. Yes, it might not be about military strategy, but the challenge of finding a route forward with the game despite it's seemingly inevitable, inexorable, and rather bleak ending may in itself be the challenge, may actually be stimulating and rewarding, and doesn't necessarily involve spending any real money.

In many ways, this path we are all treading here in Modern War is much like life, with all of us moving one way or another towards death. What we do, how we live, how much we do or don't spend, what is done to us by others and what we do to them can never change the fact we are all going to end up in the same place. Some people of course opt out early because they are resigned to the inevitable and see no point in walking a longer path to that destination. But many more see the path as the point, and do whatever they can to make sure their time on that path is as rich, as rewarding, as exciting and as fulfilling as possible.

For some, this involves spending a lot of money, while others spend almost none. Yet others try to buy their way to enrichment and later realize there is more to it and other ways of reaching enlightenment. In this way, Modern War is at once intriguing, vexing, and massively disturbing because it is all the time calling to us about our own philosophies and attitudes to life, our mortality, and our unquenchable human hope that there is 'something' more waiting for us at L200, that if we hold out or do our best, we will be rewarded in some way......

I for one cannot and will not quit yet! I still find a lot of fun, and reward despite all the game's flaws and frustrations. These include the friendships I have found on this path, as well as a better understanding of myself. I also have some faith in what I have seen others call the 'Funzio gods'! They might never put it entirely 'right', but perhaps the 'architect' (Matrix) can never hope to and should never aim for perfection. The beauty of the game as with life may actually be in its flaws and frustrations, and once we recognize and embrace these, we might actually get so much more out of this game of life / war!

Please excuse my philosophical ramblings, but I - as you and many others - have found myself increasingly musing in this way. I just wish to say that you are not alone, and rather than saying more will follow you in due course, I want to encourage you to find your own non-heavy spending yet fulfilling path to L200.... and beyond if the 'Funzio gods' ever decide to open up the thereafter!

If you decide to go, then go well and find great happiness in whatever you do!

Fifth Reich
07-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't know HOW this game is fun. It's messed up and unrealistic.

Warfiend
07-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Best of luck to you Godlikenay.

Tctiger
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
i know where you are comming from it is tough to be a free player but also fun too , i'm sad when i see someone quitting after a lot of hard work , i just hope i don't end up quitting when i get higher up we shall see.

Cool Fella
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I see more and more people complaining since GREED took control. I am wondering if they even care...

Maverick50727
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Understand. Sent you a PM message though.