PDA

View Full Version : What shape is your base?

Olly1
07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Question really for the HL players I guess. I'm trying to decide if I should go for a 'fun' shape base or a practical one. Which leads me to a few questions:

What shape is your base

What shape do you wish it was

Does it really matter?

And a side question - How much does the last expansion cost?

boardgames rule
07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I would say a square is the best shape or a shape that consevers space

War Priest
07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Square or rectangle is the best shape. You get better use of your land that way, and looks better than any other shape.

When expansions start costing $20M+, you will want to make sure no land is being wasted.

magepker
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Square... my expansions now cost 4.5mil... and thats a lot for me >_<

boardgames rule
07-14-2012, 12:24 PM
mine cost around 3 and a half mil but i know that it will get worse.

War Priest
07-14-2012, 12:28 PM
mine cost around 3 and a half mil but i know that it will get worse.

Yeah, haha. Once you get to 10M, it's just an additional 2M each expansion. My last one I finished not to long ago cost me 30M. (Which I did manage to get for free because of a server error!)

JMC
07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
mines a rectangle 7x8 + a random branch off into the water. Going for a 8x8, next expansion costs 30M and been getting attacked so havent been able to do it yet.

magepker
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
at some point you dont need to expand anymore because you'll have all the buildings... how is it that you havent reached that point yet with ur expansions costing 30mil?

JMC
07-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I have reached that point, i'm just still expanding. Upgrades come first but if i have money left over i do an expansion, since i want that 8x8 base.

I no longer use money for units as B52 bombers and Stealth surveillances are now the weakest units i bring to battle. And i haven't unlocked the stealth bomber or aircraft carrier yet.

Lt. Falcon
07-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Mine has no shape and I think I maximize my space very well and it still looks pretty cool. My next expansion is 12mil, I can't imagine a 30 mil expansion. But shape, it's really all just a matter of preference, how you like things and what suits you best.

JMC
07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
A square or rectangle is more ideal, but if you managed to use all your space efficiently in a different shape, it doesnt matter.

Gonna head out, when i get back i'll post a pic of my set up if anyone cares to see how i organized my base.

War Priest
07-14-2012, 01:04 PM
A square or rectangle is more ideal, but if you managed to use all your space efficiently in a different shape, it doesnt matter.

Gonna head out, when i get back i'll post a pic of my set up if anyone cares to see how i organized my base.

http://i47.tinypic.com/28lxf69.png

Pretty big base you have...

Lt. Falcon
07-14-2012, 01:09 PM

What's the pink bubble gum looking stuff between the oil derricks?

War Priest
07-14-2012, 01:11 PM
What's the pink bubble gum looking stuff between the oil derricks?

That's not my base. It's JMC's. I do believe that is the red maple tree though.

Mcdoc
07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I would definitely say rectangular gives you the maximum use of space when trying to squeeze buildings in tight.

JMC - you base looks tidy - but I have to wonder if your defense buildings being lined up and away from your high cash buildings isn't the max use of their effective range - that is IF it has ever been really determined if their blue sphere of coverage actually makes a difference in protecting against raids. I have multiple defense building overlapping my Nanos & Oil rigs - I hope they're actually doing something.

Oh yeah - how did you mange to get such a broad shot of your base? Is that one pic or a bunch pieced together?

Thanks!

Ryan5100
07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Mines a rectangle 7x5 right now next expansion is 8m

SeqWins
07-14-2012, 01:49 PM

How do you guys do this?

Ryans67
07-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Expansions cost $30m when you see the size of WP's base. Very spacious indeed.

My last expansion was $14m, and I do not have enough room for all the buildings. I think I will need another 5 squares or so for the rest of the defensive buildings. I really need to rearrange, but that would require selling buildings or waiting until I have a couple empty squares to maneuver.

War Priest
07-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Expansions cost $30m when you see the size of WP's base. Very spacious indeed.

My last expansion was $14m, and I do not have enough room for all the buildings. I think I will need another 5 squares or so for the rest of the defensive buildings. I really need to rearrange, but that would require selling buildings or waiting until I have a couple empty squares to maneuver.

Yeah, my buildings are nicely spaced out. :)

In the future I want to add one more row of expansions to space them out even more.

Olly1
07-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Currently mine is a symmetrical + shape which is pretty tricky to make use of. I thought having a square/rectangle would just be boring but that pic above is def the best looking base I've seen. Mind you all the bases at my level suck anyway!

WP I'd like to see yours, can you post a pic?

Matt Thornton
07-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, haha. Once you get to 10M, it's just an additional 2M each expansion. My last one I finished not to long ago cost me 30M. (Which I did manage to get for free because of a server error!)

after 10 million it is 1 million per expansion. i'm at 18 mill per square now.

JMC
07-14-2012, 03:22 PM

That's an old picture.

JMC
07-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I would definitely say rectangular gives you the maximum use of space when trying to squeeze buildings in tight.

JMC - you base looks tidy - but I have to wonder if your defense buildings being lined up and away from your high cash buildings isn't the max use of their effective range - that is IF it has ever been really determined if their blue sphere of coverage actually makes a difference in protecting against raids. I have multiple defense building overlapping my Nanos & Oil rigs - I hope they're actually doing something.

Oh yeah - how did you mange to get such a broad shot of your base? Is that one pic or a bunch pieced together?

Thanks!

Defense buildings do little to nothing in my experience especially in the high levels and high stat battles. Yesterday someone with 73K raw attack stat successfully raided my brother's level 3 nanotech 3 times in a row without failure. He has over 140K defense and i'm pretty sure there are some defence buildings in range of his nano. If they do anything, they do little enough that it's not even worth it to disorganize your base by trying to get everything in range of them.

War Priest
07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Currently mine is a symmetrical + shape which is pretty tricky to make use of. I thought having a square/rectangle would just be boring but that pic above is def the best looking base I've seen. Mind you all the bases at my level suck anyway!

WP I'd like to see yours, can you post a pic?

I can't. It's to to big and to much of a hassle to take mulitshots. You can visit my base though.

War Priest
07-14-2012, 03:27 PM
after 10 million it is 1 million per expansion. i'm at 18 mill per square now.

That's right, then it goes by 2M after 20.

SeqWins
JMC do you want to share how you did the composites picture of your base?

bigflan
My base is some really weird shape with random buildings

James_mac
07-14-2012, 03:36 PM
JMC do you want to share how you did the composites picture of your base?

I believe he took loads of screen shots and the just combined them all together on a photo editing software maybe photoshop or fireworks or even paint. It takes forever to do tho, especially to get it lined up properly.

Mackdaddy
07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Rectangle for me. My base looks strange right now. I have expanded the perimeter on each end but haven't moved anything on the vacant squares. Going for a make over after two more expansions.

Ashmw
07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Rectangle on the land, the sea part is more of an odd shape. Next expension gonna cost me $4.6mil only.

JMC
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Been putting the picture together everytime i make a big change to my base. Usually takes about 5-10 mins to add a new section. Do it in photoshop, so i make the new layer slightly transparent and any matching buildings that overlays over eachother will effectively show me if its lined up properly. Makes it a lot quicker than trying to eye it.

Jhoemel
07-14-2012, 04:31 PM
I have a rectangular base to conserve space

JMC
07-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Updated picture. Not much different, but added another row to the right side.
Once i get 8x8 i might have enough room to do something interesting, since i don't need to conserve space anymore. Gonna do something with decorations. No one else can see but if i can see it that's good enough. Like to look at my base as a whole like this.

http://i49.tinypic.com/21eaqyx.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/21eaqyx.png

James_mac
07-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Pretty tidy JMC, I like to keep mine as organised as possible, I'll make a pic when I get a chance. Just out of intrest, how much are your expansions at the min?

War Priest
07-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I have mine set up by collection times also. My nano's and chemical plants are all together, space centers, weapons factory, and satellite arrays are together. Diamon mines and military markets, which go with the nano's but are seperated a little.

All still looks good though.

SeqWins
07-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Does anybody know how to do a composite picture of your base not in photoshop? Another program maybe an app on the phone?

War Priest
07-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I always use pixlr.com

James_mac
07-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Does anybody know how to do a composite picture of your base not in photoshop? Another program maybe an app on the phone?
I don't know if you'll be able to do it on your phone, especially editing and arranging all the screenshots, it'll be a massive pain in the ass. you could try using Microsoft paint but tbh id Just download photoshop or fireworks you will be able to get a free version somewhere and it far better to use than paint. I duno anything about pixle.com so I can't comment about that

SeqWins
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I always use pixlr.com

I'm there...how exactly do you do it?

JMC
07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Pretty tidy JMC, I like to keep mine as organised as possible, I'll make a pic when I get a chance. Just out of intrest, how much are your expansions at the min?

30 million.

Ascent
07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Everything lines up without gaps...

the empty lots are buildings I sold yesterday for an upgrade

http://www.photosensual.org/mw/MWBASE.jpg

War Priest
07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Just curious, but why do some of you face your buildings in the opposite direction of eye view?

Thunder Child
07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I buck the general trend and am making mine as chaotic and un-square-like as possible.

Reasons?

I wanted something more 'realistic' (possible in a game?) and I really think it makes it a little harder for rivals to move around and scan for their targets compared to neat, symmetrical bases with their neatly lined-up buildings.

Ashmw
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Have a question, how to calculate how many square 1 got? Im using the expnsion arrows as a guidance. Is it the right approach?

JMC
07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Everything lines up without gaps...

the empty lots are buildings I sold yesterday for an upgrade

http://www.photosensual.org/mw/MWBASE.jpg

You take those on the iPad? Everything looks a lot clearer. Number on mine are what i use to line up buildings, and many of the times they're blurry. Probably could of got your base taken in only a few screenshots too. Mines annoying.

Just curious, but why do some of you face your buildings in the opposite direction of eye view?

Everyone's got them the same way. I spin them to change it up and make it look different every once in a while.

Ascent
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM

To make them less recognizable at first sight... like the diamond mine for example. Then I just picked the views which showed more order :)

Here is my base from when I was a hippie treehugger:

http://www.photosensual.org/mw/hippiebase.jpg

Ascent
07-14-2012, 05:23 PM
You take those on the iPad? Everything looks a lot clearer. Number on mine are what i use to line up buildings, and many of the times they're blurry. Probably could of got your base taken in only a few screenshots too. Mines annoying.

YEs, took 8 or 10 pix from iPad then photoshopped them for 2 hours :) and saved them in JPEG without compression, that is why it is so clear.

Jhoemel
07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
30 million.

Hey jmc your base is almost the same shape as my base. You have more land though

JMC
07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
YEs, took 8 or 10 pix from iPad then photoshopped them for 2 hours :) and saved them in JPEG without compression, that is why it is so clear.

If i were to rearrange my base and recompile the picture it'd probably take 100 pictures on the iphone.
Just because the HUD takes up so much of the usable image on my screenshot.

Maybe get someone with an iPad to do it for me if i rearrange.

SeqWins
07-14-2012, 05:28 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/SeqTheMesiah/Untitled-1.jpg

I know it sucks but this is my first ever attempt at a composites picture of my base.

marebear
07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Diptic is free on the app store today. Haven't tried it out but it let's you put multi pics together. Just a suggestion.

SeqWins
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Diptic is free on the app store today. Haven't tried it out but it let's you put multi pics together. Just a suggestion.

Thanks bunch sweet Mary :D

Fifth Reich
07-14-2012, 06:37 PM
My base is divided into two big rectangles that is connected by a 2 square wide passageway. My water space pretty much holds my oil rigs, my desal plants, my shipyard, and my naval research center with 3/4 of a squares left. My next expansion costs only 9m.

andymac106
07-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Rectangle. Just a straight up 5 by 10 base

War Priest
07-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a 8 x 7 land base plus a 4 x 2 water base.

Prisoner of War
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I keep my base square,i think you get the best "value" on your territory this way.